PDA

View Full Version : Oh,Oh........Fatal Error

BOOM
October 2nd, 2010, 18:37
Oh,Oh......Fatal Error!

Well I think this time I've finally done it!! I think I've cooked my FSX!! After yrs [2008 I believe] of adding scenery/aircraft/Utilitys I think I've finally broke it!!

Lately i've been getting Freeze/Lock-ups when using complex aircraft in FSX,The PMDG J41 seemed to be the biggest offender.I tried editing my xml file awhile back trying to get aircarriers to work with no success,so I figured I messed something up in there,anyway I got brave tonight to run the repair function on The FSX disk.Well now I'm getting a "Fatal Error has occured"and FSX won't even start-up.

Is there anything you guys can think of I can do to keep me from a complete reinstall? It will take me months to get everything back up to date[if I can],
Thanks!!

Vista64 QuadCore 9650 @3.0GHz GTX260

peter12213
October 2nd, 2010, 19:04
Mate without trying to sound patronising but some times this can be the best thing thats happened to you, my advise get rid of the lot, backup any aircraft and take note of your settings then wipe the lot and start again! At the moment it feels bad trust me I know, but a fresh start sometimes well is just brilliant mate! Eitherway I hope your back in action soon!

OleBoy
October 2nd, 2010, 21:03
I suggest you try a fresh install, but a second one. Rename the FSX.exe and the folder to preserve it.
...Then when the fresh install is done, try moving the new files (after backing up) one by one into the original install and try to get it jump started. Kind of the same principal as FS9 and GW3 procedure.

It's going to be a tedious love affair to rekindle the old flame, but you never know. The process of elimination and getting FSX to start again, and if it starts might lead you closer to narrowing down the trouble.

Myself, I'd just write it off.

gradyhappyg
October 2nd, 2010, 21:17
Have you tried deleting the FSX.cfg from the apps folder?
Sometimes it works .
I've had more luck doing that than running the repair from the disk.
Good luck.

BOOM
October 3rd, 2010, 18:33
Thanks very much for the replies,I did try to delete the conf. file with no luck.I think I'll have to bite the bullet here and just reinstall.I've been looking for an excuse to dump Vista and upgrade to Windows 7 so this seems like a good opportunity to do so,most of the addons that I used the most I still have the installers or can still download from The Flightsim Store[What a great thing that is]

It's just a hassle when I think of all the downloading/reinstalling/tweaking that lies ahead of me.....sounds like work!! lol!!

Lateral-G
October 4th, 2010, 12:12
It's just a hassle when I think of all the downloading/reinstalling/tweaking that lies ahead of me.....sounds like work!! lol!!

It's a ROYAL pain..............

peter12213
October 4th, 2010, 14:00
Windows & is defiantely the way to go mate!