PDA

View Full Version : Getting Planes to start at the beginning of desired runway

OBIO
November 22nd, 2008, 20:14
Using FSSC, I have created a reasonable facsimile of the Great Falls International Airport, home of the Montana Air National Guard. I will be including this scenery, and a few others, in the update package for the freeware Alpha Sim F-106 Delta Dart. I figured since I did a paint for the Montana Air National Guard, might as well give the plane a place to fly out of. Will be doing Florida and California ANG paints too...and will be creating reasonable facsimiles of those ANG bases as well.

Anyhooo...to the crux of my question. Great Falls has 3 run ways, 3/21 which is 10500 feet, 7/25 which is 4293 feet and 16/34 which is 5723 feet. The plane starts at the end of 25....which is just barely long enough for the F-106 to get to take off speed. I would like for the plane to start up at the end of 21...which would give it plenty of space for take off and allow the simmer to see the hangars and buildings placed in the approximate position of the ANG facilities (buildings are from Cees Donkers API collections...very nice).

How do I get the plane to default to the end of 21? I can select the runway through the advanced position selection thingie, but I would like to have the plane default to that start up position. This is in Free Flight, not QC or Mission Builder....so the runway data info does not influence this in the least...or at least I don't think it does.

OBIO

AER_DaddyO
November 22nd, 2008, 20:30
OBIO,

I'd try Martin Wright's MkAFD utility. I've used it successfully to create Menu aircraft starting points on several test bases that I made with FSSC.

Cheers, AER_DaddyO :d

bearcat241
November 22nd, 2008, 20:32
...This is in Free Flight, not QC or Mission Builder....so the runway data info does not influence this in the least...or at least I don't think it does.

It affects both MB and FF...not QC...so you'll need to take care of the dat entries. Most scenery installs with multiple runways at a single site have each runway included in the dat file, such as Henderson 1, Henderson 2 and so on. Each one has its own data layout according to length and width.This gives the user the option of choosing which runway he/she wants at the target airbase in FF and MB selections.

OBIO
November 22nd, 2008, 21:14
Maybe I am being extra dense right now....but I took a look in my airbases.dat file and there is nothing listed for any of the runways in the scenery I have created. All of the scenery is self contained, including needed texture files....and all of my scenery add-ons are in a dedicated scenery folder outside of my installs...makes it easy to share scenery amongst my installs.

It seems that on all the multi-runway airports I have thus far created, CFS2 defaults to the first runway I create...is this a possiblity in that FSSc sets things up when it exports the various BGL files that it sets the first runway created as the default one?

OBIO

OBIO
November 23rd, 2008, 01:29
Just created a very rough representation of Jacksonville International Air Port, home of the 125th Fighter Wing of the Florida Air National Guard. To test my theory that FSSC uses the first runway created as the default runway, I created the runway that I want to be the default first....and sure enough, that is the runway that my plane starts on and in the direction that I created the runway. So, for future reference, I will create the runway that I want to default to first.

OBIO

bearcat241
November 23rd, 2008, 06:45
So if a user wants to default to another runway at your airfield how do they get there in FF? And how do you get the airbase to show up in the MB map if you don't have any dat entries?

OBIO
November 23rd, 2008, 12:03
I can select all the runways in the multi-runway scenery in Free Flight. The runway info is contained in the scenery export....ADF.bgl. I had not even given any thought to Mission Builder info for the scenery....I suppose I better create the needed info and include it with the scenery.

OBIO

bobhegf
November 23rd, 2008, 14:10
If you want the AI to land in the same direction they tookoff in put a minus infront of the landing_start, landing _touchdown and landing_stop positions.I checked some of my notes about FSSC and runways and the start position is the 1st runway at the ADF location.