PDA

View Full Version : IRIS Platinum Series A-10A Warthog Released!!

Pages : [1] 2

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 13:15
Long awaited, much anticipated, this beautiful rendition of the (in)famous Warthog now finally comes to us properly in FSX !!

The A-10 Thunderbolt II is an American single-seat, twin-engine, straight-wing jet aircraft developed by Fairchild-Republic in the early 1970s. The A-10 was designed for a United States Air Force requirement to provide close air support (CAS) for ground forces by attacking tanks, armored vehicles, and other ground targets with a limited air interdiction capability. It is the first U.S. Air Force aircraft designed exclusively for close air support.
The A-10 was designed around the GAU-8 Avenger, a heavy automatic cannon which forms the aircraft's primary armament. The aircraft's hull incorporates over 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of armor and was designed with survivability as a priority, with protective measures in place which enable the aircraft to continue flying even after taking significant damage.

Features:
-Custom soundpack by IRIS AudioworX
-3D Gauges for silky smooth operation and optimized performance.
-A wide variety of visual models covering the A-10A with various loadouts
-Superb flight models for the A-10A.
-A wide variety of paintschemes in various resolutions to suit your individual systems.
-Custom in cockpit audio for the pilot, airborne warning controller, tanker operator and more.
-Working GAU-8 Avenger cannon with sound effects and mission capable model for droppable ordnance saved games.
-New design techniques including 'Lotus Style' landing light effects, in-game night vision capability and more.

To buy: http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1433

PLEASE NOTE: The Hawg is available only from flightsimstore.com at this time, it should be up at the IRIS store in about 48 hours from now as well.

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 13:24
We have restructured our local pricing and have dropped the local market cost of many of our products, some by as much as $10!! Take a look through the Flightsimstore and see if you can pick up a bargain.. ;)

DB.

(I'll be around for an hour or so to see if anything major occurs, but then I need some sleep!) I don't do all nighters as well as I used to!

falcon409
October 2nd, 2010, 13:24
Congrats David!:salute:

Lenny
October 2nd, 2010, 13:32
Thx David... an MASTERPIECE!!! :salute:

calypsos
October 2nd, 2010, 13:33
Hopefully, with those nice old guages, it will not hit FR's as hard as the glass cockpit fighters that have come out over the past couple of years. I'll wait for some feedback first, as my PC struggles with complex instrumentation nowadays.

The model looks very impressive though.

Roger
October 2nd, 2010, 13:46
Getting the same log-in problems from your link JayKae as Rattler's. I won't go to the site again until this it's fixed.

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 13:55
It's not broken Roger... the problem is that your computer now thinks it is using that session ID, which it can't in correlation with your password and email address, so clear your browser cache/temp files, reboot and try it again, you should not have any dramas anymore.

I need to go and do some things, I will be back in about an hour or so if there are more issues pls be patient, lodge a ticket with FSS and I will tend to them asap ok ?

Akatsuki
October 2nd, 2010, 13:55
I had no problems logging in... Downloading as i type but it's slooooooooooow (barely 40k/sec).

jetstreamsky
October 2nd, 2010, 14:36
Fantastic job by Iris, super handling, rolls just beautiful.

Could do with routing the master arm switch through the weight-on-wheels switch, so wallies like me starting up with parking brake on and also set to armed mode, doesn't shoot up the air base :icon_eek: :redf:

I was hoping for more whine from the engines, which is fairly distinctive for the A-10, but love the sounds otherwise.

Thanks for the extraordinary effort put into this, really enjoying it

Cheers

Allan

Creepy847
October 2nd, 2010, 14:40
Thx Iris Team. Just downloading it now. Spent the day running errands and buying my daughter a homecoming dress. My kid said to me "dad you seem way too happy shopping with me for a dress, whats up?"

Anyways finished all my errands and came home to this...

Wow talk about waiting afew years for this... David cudos to you and your team for taking this project on.

R/S

Creeps.
www.throttleback.net (http://www.throttleback.net)

Bob.sc
October 2nd, 2010, 15:00
Beautiful job! First impression is, I feel it is slightly over powered (as with most FS/X add-ons) BUT close to RW...I'd say yes. Feels very good on the controls and the cockpit...damn good indeed.
Agree with the earlier post regarding the engine sounds...could use more whine for sure.
Recommend highly
Thanks IRIS

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 15:01
Thanks for the feedback guys...

As a point of note, on the subject of feedback, I'd be interested to know how she performs FPS wise? The model ships using 32 bit 2048 textures so it's high on the vid card memory, but she's been fairly well optimised for draw calls and I get a locked 60 on the outside and about 40-50 on the VC depending on where I am...

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 15:03
I like it.

A few things I've noticed:

1) The HUD is still too dim. It should glow.

2) No canopy opening/closing sounds.

3) No bitching betty calling 'altitude altitude' 'pull up pull up'

4) Some strange 'fan' noise comes on in the cockpit, and in external views when I get some altitude

As for FPS, nice!

Regards, Diego

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 15:11
Diego.

1. The HUD is as bright as it's going to get... it's a lime green gauge with a lime green additive material applied to it. The reason it's dimmer than usual is that it's set behind a HUD glass and canopy glass material which dims it slightly...

2. The canopy open/closing sounds won't work if you use Shift+E to open the canopy. The sounds are linked to the custom audio, not the FSX sound engine... unlock the canopy and use the switch in the cockpit to open and close the canopy and you should be fine.

3. The A-10A doesn't have a bitching betty as far as I could recall. Certainly none was mentioned in the USAF manual on the A-10A.

4. That strange fan noise is the air conditioning system turning on at low ambient temperatures. It defaults to automatic use which is why it comes on without user interaction.

Hope that clarifies a few points.. :)

DB.

Now I'm going to bed...

jetstreamsky
October 2nd, 2010, 15:18
In my usual setup locked to 20 FPS displayed on a triple monitor through TH2GO, flying through the mountain areas just east of Vancouver with FTX NA scenery loaded and a ton of heavy cloud, I get completely smooth as butter flying with the default 2048 32 bit textures. Unlocking the frame rate gives me generally 45 fps jumping up in the 200 area intermittently, however the smoothness disappears and stuttering occurs.

I'm very happy with it in my normal setup

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 15:18
Thanks

As for Bitching Betty, "It was just after the Gulf War that the A-10A received its first major upgrade: the Low-Altitude Safety Targeting Enhancement (LASTE) system. LASTE included an attitude stabilization system (PAC or Precision Attitude Control) to improve accuracy while firing that amazing gun, updated weapons computers, the distinctive fuselage-mounted Pave Penny laser sensor, and a Ground Collision Avoidance System (GCAS) lovingly referred to as the “Bitchin’ Betty”."
http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_446a.html

Diego

Fireball6
October 2nd, 2010, 15:19
This Bird is awesome - thanks to all involved people of IRIS, you all did a fantastic job !

Dirk

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 15:26
Thanks Dirk.. :)

Diego, if you or anyone can find more detail on the LASTE version and its systems specifics, I'll gladly look into seeing if I can incorporate it.. :)

DB.

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 15:32
Sure thing,

I'll have an email sent to Col. Robert R. Swain, aka "Chopper Popper"

Diego

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 15:36
Thanks Diego.. much appreciated.

SADT
October 2nd, 2010, 16:15
I really, really, really want this! :jump:

David, I understand you can fire the guns outside of missions; but can you drop missiles or bombs outside of missions?

Great work :salute: , as soon as my plastic gains (and probably loses :p: ) some weight, I'll probably be downloading!

Quicksand
October 2nd, 2010, 16:16
Thank you IRIS team! OUTSTANDING JOB! My frames are no different from default aircraft, and she's a dream to fly. I love all the little details as well as the military radio chatter. Hats off to the whole team for bringing the Hog to life in FSX.....

warchild
October 2nd, 2010, 16:49
Its quit humbling and yet amusing to me that i now find myself working on what is arguably, offhandedly, and unknowingly, the for-runner of this great little plane.. In world war two, they didnt use gattling guns, and the americans at least decided to throw ground troops with bazooka's at tanks.. The Russians had it right with their sturmovich's and other aircraft, and then finally in vietnam they finally figured out what an assault plane was for..
I'm glad your enjoying our little piggy :) :)..

peter12213
October 2nd, 2010, 17:17
Welcome to the British Army and RAF we've done the opposite we used to have can openers during the war, now we have to use yours lol! Still you don't kick your brother in the teeth do you haha!

JIMJAM
October 2nd, 2010, 17:37
First flight. Real world pilot,life long simmer bla bla..... And nah I did not read the manual.
I have not bought a payware in a L O N G but I have been around A-10s all my life and been waiting for this one. Keep me busy until the one with teeth is released from those Russian guys.
Anyways, starts off cold and dark. Cnt E fired one engine up but then shut down. After a few minutes of staring at the tons of switches I admitted defeat and read the quick start pdf. Ahhhh theres a saftey switch on the rear left console. Plane comes to life but I still had to cnt-E to start.
Pit looks great,blurry weak HUD though. I am one of the few who really cares less about the outside model but I know theres alot of you that cannot post enough pics of all the rivets. BTW the model does look great.
Push the throttles to max and a quick accel. I pull back at 150k and the Hog climbs like a Lear 25. Very agile. Engine sounds are good as are wind. Entered the pattern and noticed at lower speeds the rudders are sensitive. Speed brake is effective. Flaps are not overdone and feel right. Touch down and roll out sounds on my setup are weak as are the gear and flap sounds. I know they are probably accurate with a helmet on but I will change that. I like a good retraction/extension and THUMP with the gear and a good loud roll. Since there is no tactile feedback I use audible sounds to mimic them.
The grunting when pulling Gs had my dog staring at me. Annoying but I dig it.
The flight model is convincing and smooth as butter. Nothing seems exxagerated. Flaps do not balloon,speed brake does not slam the speed....... Overall very good. Congrats
I have not done any "by the numbers" flying or real world comparisons. IMO this a stick and rudder in the weeds,terrain following,canyon crawling fun plane and thats all I really wanted.

Performance on my I7 system which is not optimized and running a older 4700 1 gig card is good. I would compare it to any of the nice paywares released in the last few years. Flying the A-10 in sparse areas, desert,MOAS,ect the frame rate is really good.
So first impressions just burning some holes in the sky.......:applause:

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 17:51
For those having problems starting the engines, be sure to click the throttles (mimicks the throttle detent)

Diego

piperarcherpilot
October 2nd, 2010, 18:26
First of all, this is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Just a beautiful job!!! On everything! I cant imagine how anyone could improve upon it - with one exception.

I too think that its overpowered (or too little drag maybe?). Ive seen these things in action, and they just dont accelerate this quickly, and they dont reach Vne in level flight so easily - this model does it quite easily. Its not a fighter, it has no afterburners. Its got 'junk' hanging out everywhere and a huge fat high lift wing. The engines it uses are basically the same as the ones on a CRJ-200 Regional Jet. And the Hog weighs a little less than one.

So I'd say its got something like 1/4 to 1/3 too much power - going by feel and the basics I know about the A-10 - but its significant - in my opinion. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy to hear it!

Anyway, just a great job. With some fine tuning, this could easily be one of the best airplanes ever for FSX. You guys are getting up there with VRS level stuff...!

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 18:38
It's great to hear the feedback on her... We've got to redo the installer this week anyway to include the full manual so we may just take the opportunity to fine tune her from your many recommendations... two things stand out at the moment, well three... lol.

1. A little more drag..
2. More whine on the engines.
3. Some alternate loadouts (thanks to ColoKent for those ones.. ;) )

Keep the suggestions coming and we'll see what we can do.. :)

piperarcherpilot
October 2nd, 2010, 18:56
I'm just guessing...so dont use this info unless you can verify it (I"m trying to also - emailed a friend of a friend who currently fly's the A-10)

...but, I'm guessing the A-10, in clean config with full fuel should be able to reach between 340-360 kts at full throttle in level flight at sea level. But no more than that. With external stores, it will be less.

Remember, when they climb to high altitudes with these, they have to zoom climb (or step up) to altitude because they cant sustain airspeed at high climb rates. Theyll accelerate in level flight, climb abruptly at a high rate and trade airspeed for altitude, and then level off, and accelerate and start the cycle again. Its got plenty of power at low speeds for maneuvering and climbing/turning, but the high drag of the design prevents it from going very fast.

If I hear from the A-10 pilot and get official word, I'll let you know.

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 18:59
Much appreciated.. :)

Rattler
October 2nd, 2010, 19:00
Let me start off by saying WOW!!!!!!.... Ok Now As for the Bird, WOW!!!!!!!...... This is Really a MasterPiece, The Way it Flys seems to be Spot on, Nice and Smooth, The frames are great. I think It is worth every penny!!!!!

Hats Off Smudge And Company!!!! You Have another Winner In Da Hog!!!!!:salute::salute::salute:

jetstreamsky
October 2nd, 2010, 19:03
Here's a good reference video for the sound, really it's whine on approach and whistle on departure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ6tRJysnlc&feature=related

Typical biz jet sound really (from the early 80s anyway)

This video is good to see the kind of performance and maneouverability possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kGCeNTZRs

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 19:05
Oh and for those wishing to take advantage of the bombs thing...

1. Load a flight where you want in the 'MISSION' variant of the A-10 of your choosing.
2. Save the flight. (eg. Davids Flight).
3. Look in your My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files folder for the corresponding .flt file (eg Davids flight.flt)
4. Open the file in notepad and scroll to the bottom of the file.
5. Paste the follwing content in;

[DroppableObjects.0]
ObjectSet.0=MK-82/SE, 14

6. Save the file.
7. Reload the saved situation in flightsim and inspect bombs on the racks!

To drop the ordnance, have your master arm ON, your EQ Power ON and your Gun Rate switch to SAFE. Press the trigger (default for brakes) to drop ordnance. If your Master Arm is ON, your EQ Power is ON and your Gun Rate switch to HI, then the GAU-8 will take priority over bombs when you pull the trigger.. :)

Easy stuff.

Alternately set a joystick assignment to 'Release Droppable Objects' and drop to your hearts content..although it won't take into account master arm settings etc...

DB.

Rattler
October 2nd, 2010, 19:06

Akatsuki
October 2nd, 2010, 19:07
Great fun to fly. Congrats to the team involved!:ernae:
I have just one complain: the canopy is way too tinted! Please David can you provide an alternate file with lightened tinted canopy?

Edit: Just saw Rattler's screenshots and on my computer the canopy is way more tinted!

peter12213
October 2nd, 2010, 19:07
Can some one post shots of the landing lights and night vision effect they speak of please!

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 19:08
Exterior Canopy, Interior Canopy or both?? :D

Akatsuki
October 2nd, 2010, 19:10
Exterior Canopy, Interior Canopy or both?? :D

I'd say both. :P

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 19:21
David, I tried the canopy button, and it did not work.

Regards, Diego

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 19:25
Strange...

Procedure is normally as follows;

1. Pull (or push) the canopy locking handle on the right console (the one with the big red knob!) and check for a green 'canopy unlocked' light on the main instrument panel.

2. Left Click and hold the 'Canopy Operate switch' located at the intersection of the Right Console and Main Instrument panel, and the canopy should open.

3. Right click and hold the switch to close the canopy.

Works fine on my beasty...

Anyway, gonna grab a few hours kip... not slept yet.. :D

piperarcherpilot
October 2nd, 2010, 19:40
Heres what he responded with. That was quick:

Hi ,

You asked about speed and performance of the A-10. Vne for the A-10 is 450 KIAS. The mach limit is .75. However, we're discouraged from going above 420 kts, and honestly that really doesnt happen much in normal operations. This is due to the unswept wing and keeping tip speeds low. It doesnt matter if the plane has external stores, the Vne does not change. However, with a full load of weapons, the maximum attainable speed WILL change dramatically. I'd say normal operational maxium speed in level 1 G flight with a CLEAN airplane would be around 350 to 360 KIAS. With full external stores, it would drop to 310-320 KIAS. Things that change this are altitude, external store config changes (parasite drag), weight (fuel) and ambient air temperature. ANd then there are limitations put on the aircraft's operational limitations (including airspeed) with the loss of flight systems and when running on backups. Turn rate is excellent (=15 degrees per second or better), but the instantaneous rate is much better than sustained. The thick wing creates so much induced drag with high G loadings that even at full power the engines cannot produce enough thrust to hold on to airspeed through a max performance turn. It's been said that if you enter a max performance turn (AOA limiter just below 28 units) at 300 KIAS, you'll be down to a dangerous airspeed (and effectively stalled) after just two 360 degree turns. Energy management is VERY important, as you can see. But its a wonderful plane to fly, and solid as a rock.

Anyway, thats probably more than you wanted to know. I hope that answers your questions.

Scott

I also found this: http://www.fas.org/man//dod-101/sys/ac/docs/11oa10v3.pdf

Kinda interesting...

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 20:14
Great info.

Got the canopy working David. Didn't really hear much of anything though (engines were on)

Is there nothing that can be done about the HUD? I find myself having to really look hard at what I'm seeing (20/10 vision, so it's not me)

Thanks again, Regards Diego

Kiwikat
October 2nd, 2010, 20:25
Nice to see her out! I'll be picking mine up after my next paycheck. By then the full manual and small tweaks should be added. Hopefully I'll have more free time then too!

Huge thanks to the IRIS team! :applause::applause::applause:

In the meantime there's a 40 inch Sony Bravia with my name on it!!! :jump:

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 21:49
Whose up for formation flying?

piperarcherpilot
October 2nd, 2010, 22:00
Hi Peter...

Natural light vs. Simulated NVG. Seems to work VERY well. Bright lights are blinding...

Whats great about this product is theres no noticeable frame rate loss for all the amazing visuals... It runs just as well as Default planes. I've got frames locked at 25, and it stays put. I changed it to locked at 35, and it stayed there too.

EDIT: Oops...just noticed I had my gyros caged... ahem...ignore that...I was focused on just getting the NVG effect and didnt really care about avionics settings.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-41-31-73.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-41-20-21.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-45-35-82.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-45-23-81.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-39-59-07.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-40-12-74.jpg

Landing Lights

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-47-01-81.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0223-48-27-25.jpg

Lenny
October 2nd, 2010, 23:33
Can someone help me out with adding the textures of the Spangdahlem hog (82-649) to show up on the MISSON-model.

Thx.

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 00:47
Easy stuff Lenny. ;)

1. In windows explorer, navigate to your Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Simobjects/Airplanes/IRIS A-10A Warthog - ST folder

2. Copy and paste the Texture.82-649 folder into the IRIS A-10A Warthog - MS folder.

3. Open the aircraft.cfg file in your IRIS A-10A Warthog - MS folder and copy and paste the following section into the bottom of the [flightsim.*] entries..

[fltsim.5]
title=IRIS A-10 Thunderbolt II - MS #5
sim=A10_FDE
model=MS
panel=
sound=
texture=82-649
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
description=\n \n
ui_manufacturer="IRIS Pro Series"
ui_type="A-10A Thunderbolt II"
ui_variation="MISSION - SP #649 81st Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany"
ui_typerole="Twin Engine Close Air Support"
ui_createdby="IRIS Flight Simulation Software"
atc_id_color=0x00000000
visual_damage=0
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
description=A-10A Warthog by\n\nIRIS Flight Simulation Software.
atc_heavy=0
atc_id=649
atc_airline=Air Force
atc_flight_number=649
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0

4. Save your file, load FSX and select the mission based 649 paint.. :)

Note: Ignore the thumbnail, it'll still show the 'standard' loadout.

Lol, I just realised they're all still showing Pro Series instead of Platinum Series... doh!

They don't call me 'Half a Job Brice' for nothing!

Lenny
October 3rd, 2010, 01:38
Thx David!

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 02:08
Simmarket customers will be able to purchase soon. I just received confirmation from Miguel that he now has it in hand.. :)

doublecool
October 3rd, 2010, 02:20
WOW! This is, really is, a Top of the line Sim product

Well Done Iris Team:applause::ernae:

Bob.sc
October 3rd, 2010, 02:26
Glad to hear adjustments to the performance planned. I'm thinking in a high G turn she (RW A-10) will lose airspeed quickly...I cannot recall exactly but for some reason I am thinking nearly 60 kts per second. And turn rate of more than 15 degrees/sec...I'm thinking close to 23 or slightly more.

Cheers!!

**Second thought...Maybe it is 60 kts loss per 30 degrees of change in heading at Max Turn Rate. ???

Chunk
October 3rd, 2010, 02:39
Thanks for this wonderful aircraft David!

This is the first IRIS aircraft I've ever purchased for MSFS, and I must say I'm very satisfied! I'm a huge fan of the A-10, and after seeing this thing develop over time, I have to say its totally met my expectations. Well done, and thanks again.

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 03:09
The A-10 is now available at Simmarket.. :-)

http://secure.simmarket.com/iris-platinum-series-a-10a-warthog.phtml

falcon409
October 3rd, 2010, 04:18
Glad to hear adjustments to the performance planned. I'm thinking in a high G turn she (RW A-10) will lose airspeed quickly...I cannot recall exactly but for some reason I am thinking nearly 60 kts per second. And turn rate of more than 15 degrees/sec...I'm thinking close to 23 or slightly more.

Cheers!!

**Second thought...Maybe it is 60 kts loss per 30 degrees of change in heading at Max Turn Rate. ???
Go back one page and read the post by "piperarcherpilot", he has a reply from an A-10 pilot which answers that question.

skyhawka4m
October 3rd, 2010, 04:18
Dave,

I can't seem to get the NVG to come on, and also, how do you turn on slime lights?

She's an awesome bird!

john

peter12213
October 3rd, 2010, 04:35
Thanks for posting those shots piper mate!

JayKae
October 3rd, 2010, 04:38
I think David has gone to bed, I am about to go as well for the night, if there is any dramas just lodge a ticket with FSS and I will tend to it in about 6 hours from now, maybe a little later but when I wake up tomorrow hehehe

Fireball6
October 3rd, 2010, 04:56
This plane is unbelievable ! I never had so much fun flying fsx at night ! Can someone tell me please how I get the Display at the panel to work (see below) ?

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 05:04
Dave,

I can't seem to get the NVG to come on, and also, how do you turn on slime lights?

She's an awesome bird!

john

Before the missus catches me...

Slime lights are controlled by the formation lights knob, located on the rear right console.

NVG is turned on by the blank knob on the forward left console. The NVG is in the manual for further info. The NVG only works at nighttime, not day, dawn or dusk.

Cheers.

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 05:06
This plane is unbelievable ! I never had so much fun flying fsx at night ! Can someone tell me please how I get the Display at the panel to work (see below) ?

Easy one for the night.

The TV console is turned on by the TV power switch located on the left hand console. Once powered you can alter the colour of the display using the contrast & brightness knobs.

Glad you're enjoy her.

Fireball6
October 3rd, 2010, 05:13
Thanks David - thats quick - and yes, I enjoy her very much (my wife looking a little bit jealous :mixedsmi:)

skyhawka4m
October 3rd, 2010, 06:11
Smudge....here are a couple loadout requests if you are gonna do an update.....

1. note the 2 different Mav's IR and TV guided 20411

2. 2 mav's, 2 ter's, and sidewinders 20412

3. 2 baggage pods and centerline tank 20413

teeboy
October 3rd, 2010, 07:00
Oh my...

This must have gone on sale just after I went to bed last night. Downloaded straight away (usual pacing about from Flightsimstore download speed - but hey, what did we all do before the interweb?) then got dragged out by the other half. Just finished an hour and a half fly around - couldn't get out of it!

During the end of my school years I lived a few miles from RAF Bentwaters in the UK and we had these things flying about all the time. God this takes me back. I agree with the comments earlier about the whine - its not quite loud enough from outside (obviously I cannot comment on the inside) and she does seem a bit quick, 300kts comes up easily on takeoff or go-around and I'm not using all the throttle. Was in clean config though. Don't have any problem with the speed bleed off in turns, just make the jockey grunt all the way round and she seems fine. My only problem is directional twitchiness at low speed. This was with a cross wind and I was a bit slow but its like trying to drive on sheet ice.

I'd just like to say, after all the discussion about the 'expected' price that I was very pleasantly surprised at the end one. It looked a good deal at the expected $50 AUD, but I think its a steal at 45! Graphically as good as any of the top stuff from the last couple of years and the comments about FPS performance are spot on with me - just like default but you get all the added candy too!

By the way, if anyone wants some very nice scenery of an A-10 base - head to http://www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org (http://www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org/) They have a great Bentwaters and Woodbridge freeware with AI A-10's buzzing about. You will need to register, but its all free.

Finally - great job all at IRIS. First product of your's I've bought and its VERY impressive. Deserves to sell in droves...

Now I've got another excuse to blow 300 on that new Warthog stick set!!

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 07:17
she does seem a bit quick, 300kts comes up easily on takeoff or go-around and I'm not using all the throttle.

:) :) I can Fix that :)
let me get a cup of coffee in me and wake up and i'll pull up the hawg and my data and set that right for ya today.. In Fact..
David?? I'll go ahead and email him a corrected FDE and catch you tonight to get you the same FDe to post on the site.
My apologies to all for having let that slip by..
Pam

JIMJAM
October 3rd, 2010, 07:53
Sorry if I missed the obvious but where is the full manual?
I played around with the radio trying to shoot a ILS with no luck. Think I saw the loc go active but no gs.
Also do not shoot me but...... If the tv is just for looks with no function I would like to have it be used as a gps. On of the F-16s I have someone made a edit that turned one of the mfds into a gps. With no tagets to kill at least having a moving map would be nice. Maybe someone good with panel edits could do that. I would be a happy man.

ColoKent
October 3rd, 2010, 07:54
Oh my...

By the way, if anyone wants some very nice scenery of an A-10 base - head to http://www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org (http://www.airfieldconstructiongroup.org/) They have a great Bentwaters and Woodbridge freeware with AI A-10's buzzing about. You will need to register, but its all free.

Actually, this is available on Flightsim.com and/or Avsim....

But I could NOT get it to add on in the add on scenery library.

Kent

***Figured it out-- Win7 requires a bit different technique to load scenery!!!****

Bob.sc
October 3rd, 2010, 07:56
Go back one page and read the post by "piperarcherpilot", he has a reply from an A-10 pilot which answers that question.
Well sort of. He makes a remark about the typical Airspeeds we should see and that the sustained rate is about 15 or better. But doesn't tell us how much A/S loss in sustained or instantaneous turns.
**Sustained rate turn will be in the neighborhood of 2 to 3.5 G & around 200-290 kts** (plz verify)
Instantaneous rate...more speed the better. (450/Mach .75 max)

Need to shoot these questions back to the A-10 SME.

halvar342
October 3rd, 2010, 09:02
Was now over 3 hours with the hog in the desert around Tucson. Great work IRIS. You did good and a fine plane found the way to FSX. :salute:

Cockpitglass is to much tinted for me, as others reported, too. Would be kind if you bring up some additional glass. :-)

More Loadouts would be very appreciated. Like to see more Mavericks and maybe Rockeyes or Hydras

I think the soundfile for the Flaps is missing? In the sound cfg is a file named but its not in the sound folder.

Overall the plane looks a little bit to agile in some situations like turning for example. But i like that. If a overworked file comes up i will give it a try for sure.

Thanks again to David and the IRIS team. I like your work since i bought the Tomcat and im happy to see whats comming next from you. :applause:

Cheers

mathieu
October 3rd, 2010, 09:40
Thanks you so much David, for this awesome aircraft !
I enjoy her very much

Bob.sc
October 3rd, 2010, 10:37
A request: An Audible Stall Warning/Maneuvering Tone? Would this be difficult to add in a future patch?? (A feature in the real A-10)

It is a 600 hz Steady (maneuvering) and a 600 hz chopped tone just above stall AOA. If interested in more data let me know.

Cheers

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 10:54
heh.. I'd like to know the turn rate as well. its not easy data to comr up with and i made my best geusstimate, but would be very happy to change it if i has the exact data..

MenendezDiego
October 3rd, 2010, 11:04
A request: An Audible Stall Warning/Maneuvering Tone? Would this be difficult to add in a future patch?? (A feature in the real A-10)

It is a 600 hz Steady (maneuvering) and a 600 hz chopped tone just above stall AOA. If interested in more data let me know.

Cheers

The steady tone is there, but not the chopped deeee dedededededededede one

DaveWG
October 3rd, 2010, 11:09
Very nice job on the A10 guys and gals :salute:

Taken her for a few laps around the Mach Loop scaring the sheep, great fun! :icon_lol:

Handles very nicely. Night vision effect is a good touch.

Kowalski65
October 3rd, 2010, 11:10
Well,I have succumbed(I knew I would! Just wish the d/l rate was faster out here in the sticks!)

Am I right in thinking there are a set of fixed loadouts for each livery?Or is there a load manager liek the Bearcat or A2A Jug for example?

Cant wait for this baby-as a young 'un in the ATC I went to RAF Bentwaters for a day & we got to crawl all over these birds, courtesy of some nice USAF chaps. I knew all about it when I had to take Aircraft recognition classes

delta558
October 3rd, 2010, 11:19
The steady tone is there, but not the chopped deeee dedededededededede one

I've only had a quick flight so far, but I think you'll find both tones are there if you pull hard enough.

teeboy
October 3rd, 2010, 11:22
I've watched these ugly (but strangely beautiful) 'hogs being thrown around and they do swing about fast from what I remember. Really good roll rate.

I find the reflections in the canopy a bit much (especially looking to either side) and the HUD could be a bit brighter as has been mentioned (but I have 40's eyesight). Last time I checked IRIS didn't have a forum for this one, so I'll post on there when they start one.

ILS seems to work (at least at Bentwaters and Woodbridge mentioned above) for me - I had the TACAN set to the ILS freq the first time, but not the second - does it autotune? Also I can't get any nav info on the HUD, only weapons aiming. I would have expected a jet from this era to be able to do that.

Oh, has anyone else noticed that the tooltip for what I assume is the alt baro setting comes up as 'fuel crossfeed switch'?

Graphically its a stunner tho'. I spent about ten mins just drooling at her from every angle (aah, maybe I'm on the wrong site...) Really hoping for some historic repaints from the Euro-based eighties wings

(Pam - thanks for the pm, really nice work in this :jump:)

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 11:24
regarding turn rates and g's pulled.. You need to watch till three quarters done to see anything we're looking for, but at least its a good song.. In my opinion that is :)..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJSk2Xc3Eq4&feature=related

teeboy
October 3rd, 2010, 11:33
Pam / Warchild - you are my kind of girl (if i wasn't married, or ugly!). THAT is what I'm talking about..

Great vid :salute:

piperarcherpilot
October 3rd, 2010, 12:06
Maybe this isnt specifically on topic...but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kgusd1rN6E&feature=related

whitney17
October 3rd, 2010, 12:32
Oh and for those wishing to take advantage of the bombs thing...

1. Load a flight where you want in the 'MISSION' variant of the A-10 of your choosing.
2. Save the flight. (eg. Davids Flight).
3. Look in your My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files folder for the corresponding .flt file (eg Davids flight.flt)
4. Open the file in notepad and scroll to the bottom of the file.
5. Paste the follwing content in;

[DroppableObjects.0]
ObjectSet.0=MK-82/SE, 14

6. Save the file.
7. Reload the saved situation in flightsim and inspect bombs on the racks!

To drop the ordnance, have your master arm ON, your EQ Power ON and your Gun Rate switch to SAFE. Press the trigger (default for brakes) to drop ordnance. If your Master Arm is ON, your EQ Power is ON and your Gun Rate switch to HI, then the GAU-8 will take priority over bombs when you pull the trigger.. :)

Easy stuff.

Alternately set a joystick assignment to 'Release Droppable Objects' and drop to your hearts content..although it won't take into account master arm settings etc...

DB.
Dave

If I understand your comment correctly, "." key is the trigger command. This is a major pain in the FSD P-38. Even if I assign "." to another command other than the brakes, the toe brakes on my rudder pedals fire the guns. I assume the same problem will occur with the A-10A. SkyUnlimited's P-38 uses the Afterburner command, to fire its guns. I'm sure there are a lot of other commands that are seldom used and could be used as the trigger, why use the brake command and the "." key? Please consider changing this.

Joe

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 12:52
Maybe this isnt specifically on topic...but... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kgusd1rN6E&feature=related

:::LOL:: i love the way the pilot aims for the cameraman ... very cool..

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 12:55
Graphically its a stunner tho'. I spent about ten mins just drooling at her from every angle (aah, maybe I'm on the wrong site...)

(Pam - thanks for the pm, really nice work in this :jump:)

Your right.. The iron Chef is three doors to the left.. ::lol::.. and your very welcome. ;).. glad to do it..

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 12:57
Dave

If I understand your comment correctly, "." key is the trigger command. This is a major pain in the FSD P-38. Even if I assign "." to another command other than the brakes, the toe brakes on my rudder pedals fire the guns. I assume the same problem will occur with the A-10A. SkyUnlimited's P-38 uses the Afterburner command, to fire its guns. I'm sure there are a lot of other commands that are seldom used and could be used as the trigger, why use the brake command and the "." key? Please consider changing this.

Joe

I can only take a guess here, but i believe its because on many joysticks, the trigger on the stick is assigned to the brakes..

flaviossa
October 3rd, 2010, 13:24
Impressive work!
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/4622010_10_3_17_21_31_580_tn.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view.php?filename=4622010_10_3_17_21_31_580.jpg)

- Perfect FPS!
- Systems deep
- Model + Repaints

:salute::salute: Thanks IRIS Staff!

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 14:34
Thanks everyone for all your fantastic feedback... I spend a nice relaxing night last night enjoying some well earned downtime... It's now 9.30am here in Ozzie land and today I'm doing the manual and updating the model with some of your suggestions.

So.... please post here what you'd like to see included in the latest build. I cannot guarentee all suggestions posted will make it, however I can confirm a few that will.. :) (updated FDE, altered glass, sounds, additional loadouts etc).. :)

The more suggestions the better.. I'll do my best to get as much implimented in as I can.

Regards

DB.

PRB
October 3rd, 2010, 14:46
Congrats, IRIS people! This plane looks like a fantastic model. I may have to get it myself, even as a basically WW-II nut. No more VC pics, or I won't be able to resist!!

kcgb
October 3rd, 2010, 14:49
Thanks everyone for all your fantastic feedback... I spend a nice relaxing night last night enjoying some well earned downtime... It's now 9.30am here in Ozzie land and today I'm doing the manual and updating the model with some of your suggestions.

So.... please post here what you'd like to see included in the latest build. I cannot guarentee all suggestions posted will make it, however I can confirm a few that will.. :) (updated FDE, altered glass, sounds, additional loadouts etc).. :)

The more suggestions the better.. I'll do my best to get as much implimented in as I can.

Regards

DB.

Can you get the flares to work?

piperarcherpilot
October 3rd, 2010, 15:16
David (or Pam, more directly),

As for the flight dynamics, theres a little too much yaw instability/ adverse yaw. When the plane is abruptly rolled, the nose should not yaw. I assume the aileron design is aerodynamically balanced so it rolls exactly along its longitudinal axis. The IRIS model's nose floats around in the yaw axis a little after an abrupt roll.

Check this video around 5:00 into it till about 6:30. You'll see abrupt high roll rates that are started and stopped quickly -and the plane seems like its on rails through the roll.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zzup_a10-thunderbolt-warthog-living-warb_sport

Just a minor observation - but hey, you asked for it!

MenendezDiego
October 3rd, 2010, 15:25

Regards

DB.

If you read my previous post about the stall and AoA limiter sounds, I was wrong. Got in her and pulled the nose hard, IDLE, they work.

All I can say that she needs is for the HUD to somehow glow like the Aerosoft HUD does.

Perhaps a mixed load with say 2 Mk-82's, 2 CBU-20's, 4 AGM-65's (2 per pilon) and 2 LAU-61 pods (outer pilons).

I agree with the canopy glass, and the revised engine sounds.

The more I fly her, the more I love it!

Regards, Diego

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 15:41
I'll look into playing with the material settings to see if I can get the glow shown on the Aerosoft F-16.. we've played with it before using emissive bloom on the HUD, but it requires bloom on to work, which saps many peoples FPS...

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 15:51
David (or Pam, more directly),

As for the flight dynamics, theres a little too much yaw instability/ adverse yaw. When the plane is abruptly rolled, the nose should not yaw. I assume the aileron design is aerodynamically balanced so it rolls exactly along its longitudinal axis. The IRIS model's nose floats around in the yaw axis a little after an abrupt roll.

Check this video around 5:00 into it till about 6:30. You'll see abrupt high roll rates that are started and stopped quickly -and the plane seems like its on rails through the roll.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zzup_a10-thunderbolt-warthog-living-warb_sport

Just a minor observation - but hey, you asked for it!

You bet your bootie i asked for it. :) and Thank you for saying something.. We're looking into it now and should have it fixed in this update..

dmaloof
October 3rd, 2010, 16:03
Looks good but questions. Are the missions that come with it allow you to destroy objects like tanks and buildings? Is it just wep effects only or does this mod allow destructible environment in FSX?

JohnC
October 3rd, 2010, 16:11
Regarding Adverse Yaw, here's a couple quotes from the Dash-1 Manual. I don't have the Iris A-10 (yet), so I can't comment on it's accuracy.

"When the ailerons are deflected, the rudder is automatically deflected in the direction of the roll to help reduce adverse yaw. For relatively small aileron inputs, the ARI keeps the yaw very small.... For large rapid roll inputs above the Q-limit speed (240 KIAS) there will not be enough rudder available to completely coordinate high rate roll since the rudder is limited to 8 Deg deflection. This is especially evident under high g conditions. When performing raid roll reversals, the aircraft can also experience large sideslip angles when the AOA is also high."

Combine that paragraph with:

"Rudder authority is 25 Deg below 240KIAS, but reduced to 8 Deg by a Q-switch above 240KIAS"

"Rudder control is sufficient to exceed 25 Deg of sideslip and the depart the aircraft at any speed below 240 KIAS"

If full rudder gets you to a minimum of 25 Deg sideslip, and ~1/3 rudder isn't enough to counter aileron induced yaw...then there must be a pretty hefty portion of adverse yaw.

piperarcherpilot
October 3rd, 2010, 16:15
Regarding Adverse Yaw, here's a couple quotes from the Dash-1 Manual. I don't have the A-10 (yet), so I can't comment on it's accuracy.

"When the ailerons are deflected, the rudder is automatically deflected in the direction of the roll to help reduce adverse yaw. For relatively small aileron inputs, the ARI keeps the yaw very small.... For large rapid roll inputs above the Q-limit speed (240 KIAS) there will not be enough rudder available to completely coordinate high rate roll since the rudder is limited to 8 Deg deflection. This is especially evident under high g conditions. When performing raid roll reversals, the aircraft can also experience large sideslip angles when the AOA is also high."

"Rudder authority is 25 Deg below 240KIAS, but reduced to 8 Deg by a Q-switch above 240KIAS"

"Rudder control is sufficient to exceed 25 Deg of sideslip and the depart the aircraft at any speed below 240 KIAS"

If full rudder gets you to a minimum of 25 Deg sideslip, and ~1/3 rudder isn't enough to counter aileron induced yaw...then there must be a pretty hefty portion of adverse yaw.

Hmm...

I wish we had very zoomed-in video of the tail during aileron rolls (or a cockpit camera facing aft view) so we could see exactly what the rudder inputs look like. In the videos I've seen, I havent seen much rudder deflection during the rolls (a little is always expected). But, I'm certainly not doubting what you wrote.

Interesting.

piperarcherpilot
October 3rd, 2010, 16:39
Pam -

Based on some of the videos I've just studied frame by frame, and what John C wrote, I'd say leave the adverse yaw as it is. I was wrong, it appears that theres definitely considerable rudder being used during high roll rates. Some of it's probably automatic from the flight computer, but some has to be pilot input. Its just so quick, its hard to see.

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 16:40
Regarding Adverse Yaw, here's a couple quotes from the Dash-1 Manual. I don't have the Iris A-10 (yet), so I can't comment on it's accuracy.

Thanks john.. its being fixed as we speak.. I dont know about setting the rudder to move on its own.. Not my normal job to worry abouyt, but the rest should be corrected, especially the adverse yaw..

1970LT1
October 3rd, 2010, 16:42
So, is the full manual available yet with the download?

Regards,

LT1

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 16:55
Nope, it'll be available with the new build.. I'll announce it when it's ready.. :)

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 18:03
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=435236117985&ref=mf

The link above will take you to a new audio video on our facebook page where I demonstrate the new audio based on feedback from here at SOH and on Facebook... :)

Can those eager for some adjusted audio please let me know if the video is more along the lines of the A-10 than the ones previously.. :)

I think it sounds a lot better..but I'm biased.

JAllen
October 3rd, 2010, 18:25
IMO the whine of the fan is heard far above any other sound when the aircraft is approaching. Been many years since I heard it last but the engines are pretty quiet but for that fan. A run to Nellis may refresh my memory.

Quicksand
October 3rd, 2010, 18:42
Sounds very good, Smudge!:jump:

Cag40Navy
October 3rd, 2010, 18:42
oOoOoOoOoOoHhHhHhHhHh!!!! AHahAHahAHahAHah!!!!

skyhawka4m
October 3rd, 2010, 19:14
Sounds better. Will this mod be elinating the loud wind sound when in tower view?

Even at night I'm not getting NVG......just a heads up. knowing me.....I'm doing something wrong.

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 19:32
The aircon sound in tower view is a limitation of Doug Dawson's gauge...any 'custom' sound using this gauge doesn't take into account viewpoints, so wether you're in tower, spot etc, the custom audio will play at it's set volume. What you CAN do is turn off the master supply switch on the aircon panel (located on the middle of the right console). :)

As for NVG, open up the quickstart guide PDF in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/IRIS Platinum Series/A-10A Warthog/Manuals & References folder and check out the location of the knob controlling it.

(There's a couple of vids on our facebook page too showing it's location.)

halvar342
October 3rd, 2010, 19:32
btw sound.

If i get over 5000 ft i get a strange sound in the cockpit and outside. Whats that?

The new sound comes closer to the A-10´s flying over the city i live. But they cant get low enough here to hear that from close range.

MenendezDiego
October 3rd, 2010, 19:39
look on the right console. there is a switch that has to be turned off. not by the computer, but you'll figure it out :)

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 19:41
It's the aircon fans.. see the post above for more info.. ;)

You have two settings, automatic and manual. In automatic mode, the fans come on when the ambient temp falls below 5 degrees celsius. In manual mode, you can control the intensity with the fan flow level knob located on the right hand console in the aircon section.

The manual will have pics and info.. :)

skyhawka4m
October 3rd, 2010, 20:13
The aircon sound in tower view is a limitation of Doug Dawson's gauge...any 'custom' sound using this gauge doesn't take into account viewpoints, so wether you're in tower, spot etc, the custom audio will play at it's set volume. What you CAN do is turn off the master supply switch on the aircon panel (located on the middle of the right console). :)

As for NVG, open up the quickstart guide PDF in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X/IRIS Platinum Series/A-10A Warthog/Manuals & References folder and check out the location of the knob controlling it.

(There's a couple of vids on our facebook page too showing it's location.)

Yep....did this and even made sure I flew at midnight and got nothing. Its ok cause I don't do alot of night flying but...just wanting to give you a heads up.

Can't wait to lay paint on this thing at some point.

skyhawka4m
October 3rd, 2010, 21:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IssM6HwXZug

MenendezDiego
October 3rd, 2010, 21:32
wow...those fly by sounds sure are diff. from the Iris ones!

kickass!

Smudge
October 3rd, 2010, 21:41
I'm not done yet Diego.. :D

piperarcherpilot
October 3rd, 2010, 23:06
New sounds are much better! You know, the real plane does sound a lot like a CRJ. Cause they use the same core GE TF34 engine. Maybe we could...

...nevermind... :)

teeboy
October 4th, 2010, 02:16
Just managed to figure most of the nav problems I was having (having a route helps!) and I think you guys got the 'grunt-meter' spot on! Got a bit complacent after several touch 'n go's and made GI Joe 'oooff!' on touchdown, such a fit of giggles I nearly ran off the runway...

I am getting a peculiar shift in the flight path pipper in the hud. As I fly away from my departure airport it seems to move left or right, then move back again when I head back towards it, eventually lining up okay just before the circuit to land. Its quite noticeable after about 150nm. I know my nav accuracy isn't brilliant (going by the off-track indication in the hud - at least thats what I think it is), but its got me foxed. Even swinging the wind about doesn't affect it.

And is anyone else getting a double APU shutdown sound when its running down?

I know this one is new, but its already my fave ride:jump:

mathieu
October 4th, 2010, 04:59
I LOVE THIS PLANE !

:applause:

Rattler
October 4th, 2010, 05:09
btw sound.

If i get over 5000 ft i get a strange sound in the cockpit and outside. Whats that?

The new sound comes closer to the A-10´s flying over the city i live. But they cant get low enough here to hear that from close range.

Its the Main Air supply located on the Environment panel, 3rd switch down on the Far right, under the Vent, Move the Switch to the Down or off position

OleBoy
October 4th, 2010, 06:13
Reading all of these posts and seeing the videos are impressive as hell. If I keep coming to this thread I'm going to get bit by the A10 bug.

Looks to be a damn nice model David!!

JAllen
October 4th, 2010, 07:03
Booming through the hills and valleys of PNW for an hour or more. What a great plane! Installed Bentwaters/Woodbridge and buzzing around felt like the good days back when I was stationed there. I am so content with the Warthog right now as it is. Just lovin' it!

:salute:

Jim

dvj
October 4th, 2010, 08:07
I just loaded 32 bit high res textures. Amazing detail with very little hit to frames. Noticed the anti-collision strobes are a bit bright as seen in this pic, but the night vision is the coolest thing yet. Love the starry sky in night vision! Now, can I convince you guys to build a B-58?

Daveroo
October 4th, 2010, 08:29
i bought it yesterday...installed it...havent even fired up the simulator to see it....all my controlers and what have you are outside in a box waiting for the carpet cleaners to get here..plus i still have to calibrate and assign all my buttons and switches...that said...ive removed all my 4 engined airplanes (cept the FSX stock units) i have two throttle quads,but im still only going to have it set for twins as i have way more twins than either single engines...the reason i told you all that.......can i assign the GAU-8 to fire off an button assignment in the list? or does it have to be the break button?

Dag
October 4th, 2010, 09:32
Hello,

I installed the A-10 this morning and I am amazed at the work done. This is a superb addon.
Firstly, FPS. I have the frames locked at 30 and they stay at that. Excellent. Secondly, modelling. Very nice and smooth. The shape of this beast is captured very accurately.

I was doing paints for the aerosoft A-10 back in the time and I researched the aircaft pretty intensely. IRIS' A-10A model will be 100% accurate for paint jobs up to say 2002-2003. Then the LASTE mod started to turn up in quantity with external modifications. Among these were the EGI antenna which covers the GPS receiver on the spine, just behind the ^-shaped slime lights. LASTE brought with it the antenna dimples on the lower vertical tail surfaces and the lower tail planes near the root. I understand these are sensors for a collision avoidance system installed after a few close calls. Also NVG compatible lights were added on the extreme rear (2), wing tips (2 each) and spine (2) behind the rather prominent blade antenne. All this stuff is in addition to the excisting lights.

I write this to point David in the right direction since he asked about LASTE. So please, this is not a complaint and I do not wish to be attacked.

I guess this is just small details and in the end it does not really matter for me. I just thought maybe a LASTE would look good with the grey (36320/36375) schemes.

On the aerosoft, 3 basic aircraft models were done:
- A legacy one without any of the above and no slime lights. Good for 80s and up to Desert Storm paint jobs.
- A model with added slime lights.
- A model with full LASTE and the aft facing scoops on the left hand fwd fuselage removed (panels with slots in them instead). GMAX and makemdl did not understand much of the small dimples connected with the external NVG lighting so these never showed up :-)

Cockpit was the same in all models

Back to the IRIS; I find it very nice to fly although I must admit that I have fiddled a bit with getting the HUD to show better. I found, by remming out the VC glass tex, that the model glass material is a bit on the dark side. A "double glazing" (HUD and windshield), both textured kinda dark, makes for a dark HUD colour. I tried adding an alpha to the VC glass tex but this killed external reflection/glossiness on the canopy (??). I brightened and reduced contrast on the VC glass tex and this only resulted in "milkyness". I arrived at a compromise but it it was not what I've wanted. There's no problem reading the HUD with a darker background but it's the bright sky that is the problem.

I guess model material colouring would fix this..... possibly ??

The paints are superbly done. Very nice work indeed. I did Flipper and Peanut for the aerosoft one and smacked some hog teeth on the peanut one. I believe it flew out of Barksdale the way I did it.

Anyway; back to flying and congratulations (in many ways) to David and crew, the best yet and right up there with the best mil stuff done for FSX so far :-)

Thanks

OOOOPPPPPSSSSS !!! forgot to mention....... the NVG mode...... WOW !!

Fireball6
October 4th, 2010, 12:17
It make so much fun to fly this bird - absolute fantastic. In my humble opinion it fly very well and handles like i expected after I have seen all the videos. Like Dag, I play a bit with the glass-textures, my personal choice is a brighter one as you can see below. Looking forward to the additions that the IRIS-Team will do for this beauty, sure that it will change a very good package to a very, very good package :jump:

Greetings :wavey: Dirk

Rattler
October 4th, 2010, 13:28

Fun with the A-10!!

Gene K
October 4th, 2010, 14:07
I was doing paints for the aerosoft A-10 back in the time ....
Is there a paint kit for the Iris Hog?

Gene K

JayKae
October 4th, 2010, 14:21
I am not at home to check but I think that the paintkit is in the IRIS folder in the FSX root

whitney17
October 4th, 2010, 14:33
Dave

Joe

David,

Is the coming update going to address my concern above about the trigger command? As we all know, the trigger and buttons on a joystick are assigned in game and can be changed by the player. In fact, my trigger controls the "Zoom In", "Zoom Out" commands. However, from past experience, it appears that no matter what key that is assigned to the brake command, if any, "." remains the controlling key when using toe brakes, ergo the guns fire when using the brakes.

Will this problem exist in the A-10A?

Joe

blazefox2
October 4th, 2010, 14:41
FINALLY GOT HOME!

god.... downloading now :wiggle:

jetstreamsky
October 4th, 2010, 15:46
?................
.........it appears that no matter what key that is assigned to the brake command, if any, "." remains the controlling key when using toe brakes, ergo the guns fire when using the brakes.

Will this problem exist in the A-10A?

Joe

Don't forget the weapons shouldn't be armed when on the ground, so the brake functions shouldn't matter. Although not modelled, normally master arm functions through a weight on wheels switch too preventing such unsafe practices

SADT
October 4th, 2010, 18:51
Hi david,

Does the TV work or can it be used as a radar or GPS? If it doesn't work, are you planning on adding those functions?

Great Work BTW :salute: , I cant get over the NVG effect I have seen (I havent got it yet due to lacking funds)

dvj
October 4th, 2010, 22:48

teeboy
October 4th, 2010, 23:53
Tried the NVG out last night for the first time - WOW, like everyone else has said!! Really puts a new slant on night flying, low rvr and cloud it looks fantastic. And the HUD looks great too!

I had a long wait for the panel and instrument lighting to come up (did start the flight just before dusk to see the effects). Any chance they could be set up to come on at higher ambient light levels - it was quite difficult to read the instruments at times? But once they are on, the cockpit at night is a thing of beauty.

Its a pity the TV doesn't work, but I guess it would hammer the fps performance. Pity as it would have been the icing on the cake. Maybe IRIS could add that later (he asked hopefully)?

Oh, final request - how about TACAN that works off channels instead of frequencies? With a reference list in the kneeboard? Oh well, had to try :wiggle: !!

Keep churning stuff out like this guys and I'm going to have a hanger-full, lovely!

Fireball6
October 5th, 2010, 00:56
Is there a paint kit for the Iris Hog?

Gene K

As JayKae write - the paintkit is in the IRIS Platinum Series which is in the main FSX-Folder

:wavey:Dirk

Hanimichal
October 5th, 2010, 02:41
regarding turn rates and g's pulled.. You need to watch till three quarters done to see anything we're looking for, but at least its a good song.. In my opinion that is :)..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJSk2Xc3Eq4&feature=related

In my opinion a good battle is only in the arcade version

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4e4hphwkH6s?fs=1&amp;hl=pt_BR"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4e4hphwkH6s?fs=1&amp;hl=pt_BR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kowalski65
October 5th, 2010, 03:17
Finally got to fly this beauty last night(and cant wait for a return to LAX tonight!) Loving the NVG,like everyone else,& to me it flies really sweet (although for some reasons the textures went AWOL at 1 point in the flight)

Just MY personal preference would have been for a load manager so *I* could set the load(I like daft stuff like *all* fuel tanks, or *all* iron bombs), but that is just me.

I have just seen DCS:Warthog advertised on Flightsim for pre pay-will be interesting to compare the 2 models!

Dag
October 5th, 2010, 03:24
Hi,

I've never seen a ferry config with 3 tanks (F-111 type) before. I've seen 2 or 1 C/L but not 3.
Is that config common for deployments and the like ?

Thanks

Rattler
October 5th, 2010, 04:43
Is it Possible that we might see some Repaints from Dag on this Bird?

I can only Hope we do.... Stay Tuned!!!:salute::salute::salute:

ColoKent
October 5th, 2010, 04:52
Hi,

I've never seen a ferry config with 3 tanks (F-111 type) before. I've seen 2 or 1 C/L but not 3.
Is that config common for deployments and the like ?

Thanks

According to an A-10 driver I met at a reserve conference, typically the "three bag" config is rarely used, as the difference in range between two tanks and three is negligible in most flight conditions. This guy was emphatic about the relative worthlessness of toting a third tank-- even on a trans-ocean ferrying trip.

Kent

Dag
October 5th, 2010, 04:52
Is it Possible that we might see some Repaints from Dag on this Bird?

I can only Hope we do.... Stay Tuned!!!:salute::salute::salute:

Hhhh.... huh ! ? (Beavis expression and he's also in the A-10 when you pull more than 2,5 Gs)
I have s'more SLUFs to make....

Dag
October 5th, 2010, 04:53
According to an A-10 driver I met at a reserve conference, typically the "three bag" config is rarely used, as the difference in range between two tanks and three is negligible in most flight conditions. This guy was emphatic about the relative worthlessness of toting a third tank-- even on a trans-ocean ferrying trip.

Kent

Did you request MXUs this time Kent ??

delta558
October 5th, 2010, 04:54
Just to confirm the situation with the trigger being used to fire the gun, yes it is the same button which generally controls the brakes but it does not automatically fire the gun - you have to make switch selections in the VC before you can use it to fire the gun. Therefore, you effectively turn the ability to fire on or off, so as long as you remember to switch off tha master arm switch, the gun will not fire when using brakes!

skyhawka4m
October 5th, 2010, 04:57
Hhhh.... huh ! ? (Beavis expression and he's also in the A-10 when you pull more than 2,5 Gs)

I have about 8 repaints planned once I have all artwork gathered, for the A-10.

List as follows:

DM, OT, WA, OS, PA ANG, MA ANG, MD ANG, AK, ARK ANG

Will take any other suggestions.

John

Rattler
October 5th, 2010, 05:10

:applause::applause::applause:

hammer353
October 5th, 2010, 08:23
Is there any bugs that need to be fixed? Are you able to config the a-10 like razbams A-7 or VS F8F bearcat?

falcon409
October 5th, 2010, 10:34
David, Check your PM's:salute:

jetstreamsky
October 5th, 2010, 12:03
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=435236117985&ref=mf

The link above will take you to a new audio video on our facebook page where I demonstrate the new audio based on feedback from here at SOH and on Facebook... :)

Can those eager for some adjusted audio please let me know if the video is more along the lines of the A-10 than the ones previously.. :)

I think it sounds a lot better..but I'm biased.

David,

It's got too much whooshing to it and the spin up and down sounds are like a much larger diameter engine, too slow response I think. The oncoming sound should be much more eager and dominate the entire sound, changing to a whistle as you pass the engine centreline.

Hard to describe in words really, need to find a really good video with sound rather than the all too common overdub music, I'll keep looking/listening to find such a video if I can.

Bob.sc
October 5th, 2010, 12:51

Most Excellent Pic!!

jetstreamsky
October 5th, 2010, 13:57
Here's a video with most of the sound spectrum represented

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/zeboczulu/3593/

On acceleration it has the whine on approach with a low pitch whistle mixed in, then a typical jet roar as it's adjacent followed by a high pitch whistle as it leaves

On constant power, the whine recedes and you only get the jet roar and whistle

On throttle back, pretty much whistle only

This video is a nice reference for taxi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIzhqH0ntr8

skyhawka4m
October 5th, 2010, 14:56
I think this video also shows that there is a bit more power on take also with the hard pull up and roll into the climb.......doesn't seem to take a long runway to do this either. Anything we can do to look at that too?

warchild
October 5th, 2010, 15:26
I think this video also shows that there is a bit more power on take also with the hard pull up and roll into the climb.......doesn't seem to take a long runway to do this either. Anything we can do to look at that too?

It's hard to say.. Just after he begins acceleration for takeof, the film cuts to further down the airstrip behind that mustang.. In the end, he rotates up into a chandelle just before he huts the final taxiway and what looks to be a staging area at the end of the runway.. Does anyone recognize those mountains and can anyone tell me which airport that is?? I can check it out better if i have a reference to work from.

JIMJAM
October 5th, 2010, 15:57
I usually hate this kinda post but.....

Man I love this plane!

I got burned out and have not flown or purchased nuch of anything in the last 6 months. I gotta admit that A2A were the only planes I was willing to throw down $50 bucks for but if any one out there is sitting on the fence on this one she is a keeper.
Other than the already covered tweaks suggested like being over powered, more of the classic " Warthog engine whine we love" I am very content. I just flew my first long night flight with the NVG and wow WOW.
Keep it up Iris.

ColoKent
October 5th, 2010, 16:31
Well, David put a couple on the three tank ferry variant.

Here's what I asked for in the update:

- Local: 2 MXUs as the only underwing stores/tanks
- Long range: 2 MXUs and a centerline tank

Kent

skyhawka4m
October 5th, 2010, 18:58
I wonder if we can talk them into hangin their F-16D Pave Spike pod on this plane? They are now carrying them or the flir pod on the right wing now.

flir pod 20642

this is the transatlantic config the PA ANG used..20643

a plane I will be doing.....20644

Kiwikat
October 5th, 2010, 19:40

Just remember that is a clean config and likely with a light fuel load. It wouldn't be able to do that with a full load of fuel and weapons. Not even close.

Once she's patched with the new flight model and sounds, she's mine! :wavey:

glennc
October 5th, 2010, 20:45
I bought it a couple days ago. It is one incredible product.

I'm having a blast with it - especially just learning my way around the cockpit. Two things I don't understand yet - but I'll get there: The INS and VOR navigation. I'd be really happy if the INS has a way to give it an airport destination, kinda like a GPS Direct-To. I tried a flight from Davis Monthan to Luke AFB tonight using VOR. I have the frq for the PHX VOR, not the ILS, but couldn't get the HSI to find it. I'm probably missing something. My goal is to not need the quick start switch.

I got the gun to work tonight with the toe brakes on my Logitech G940. Fun, but not terribly realistic.

The only other thing I need is a more complete manual.

Very, Very well done. The background chatter is a very welcome addition.

Glenn

teeboy
October 5th, 2010, 23:18
Having had a good look at the vids referred to earlier, I am not so sure now she is overpowered! Try the clean config with about 5000lbs fuel and pull 4G in turns (constant stall tone all the time!) and she feels about right. While I'm no aerobatic pilot, the replay from outside views looks close enough to me.

You can also start her up following the DCS tutorial vids in empeck's A-10 thread! (Perhaps I shouldn't have said that?) If I could offer a comparison, the IRIS model spins its engines and APU up a bit quicker - DCS have access to official US data as they produced a training system for the A-10C for the US - but it sure doesn't appear to look any better.

Really impressed with this one - and they are going to improve it :jump: !!!

Dag
October 6th, 2010, 00:57
I have two wishes:

- Either a ferry config with 2 tanks or one on the C/L with MXUs. Get rid of the 3rd tank please :-)
- Edit material properties in canopy/windshield glass so that the HUD symbology is more visible.

Dag
October 6th, 2010, 01:10
Hi,

A-10C uses the Litening Advanced Targeting Pod and the Sniper XR ATP these days. Pave Spike, as mentioned somewhere else is this thread, went out with the A-7/F-111.

skyhawka4m
October 6th, 2010, 03:55
Hi,

A-10C uses the Litening Advanced Targeting Pod and the Sniper XR ATP these days. Pave Spike, as mentioned somewhere else is this thread, went out with the A-7/F-111.]]]Sorry you are correct.....Sniper Pod is the correct name. My bad.

Smudge
October 6th, 2010, 04:46
APU is a pain in the backside.. there's no way to control the spool up time of the APU (AFAIK) ..certainly I can't see any reference to it anywhere.. :)

Okay, I'm done apart from the manual and the loadouts... ;)

Here's a list of adjustments in the latest build.. :)

1. FDE adjusted for closer performance to the actual aircraft based on feedback here at SOH.
2. HUD Materials altered for new 'vivid' display appearance.
3. HUD restrictive viewpoint added so you no longer see the HUD outside the confines of the combiner glass.
4. Canopy glass opacity reduced.
5. GPS popup added for GPS flyers.. :)
6. Soundpack altered for more authentic A-10 audio.
7. Strobe brightness altered (no more square lights).
8. Control column lengthened for more realistic column height.
9. Loadouts reconfigured as per SOH feedback.
10. AFCS re-coded. Aircraft now has working NAV hold, HDG hold, ILS hold and GPS Flightplan and NAV following capability.
11. Added VMS (aka Bitching Betty)
12. AFCS viewpoint added to the VC allowing users to use the AFCS without having the control column in the way.
13. Landing/Taxi lights now restricted to visibility when the nose gear is fully extended.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.. :)

Bone
October 6th, 2010, 05:11
Wow, David. Whereas other devs have beaten a hasty retreat away from the SOH after alot of feedback, you have really risen to the occasion. :salute:

Smudge
October 6th, 2010, 05:15
Trust me, I owe my wife about 3 months of housework when this is done.. may as well make the most of the time I've got left..lol.

Dag
October 6th, 2010, 05:28
David,

You are one hard worker, BRAVO !!!!! :-)

Daveroo
October 6th, 2010, 06:12
awesome David...i havent seen anyone work with the customers like this in a long time..when all is said and done..this A10 is going to be one of the best flight sim products of all time..just because you not only listen..but you act...thank you David.....

Daveroo

halvar342
October 6th, 2010, 07:25
David with this adjustments you make a good plane just better. :D :salute:

The only thing which really bothers me is that external tank thing. I was flying the hog in LockOn Flaming Cliffs ins squad. There was never a need for so much external fuel. The internal tank of the hog is pretty big. So a model for missions without this centerline tank would be a great thing for me if its on the list for further adjustments. :gameon:

doublecool
October 6th, 2010, 07:28
David with this adjustments you make a good plane just better. :D :salute:

The only thing which really bothers me is that external tank thing. I was flying the hog in LockOn Flaming Cliffs ins squad. There was never a need for so much external fuel. The internal tank of the hog is pretty big. So a model for missions without this centerline tank would be a great thing for me if its on the list for further adjustments. :gameon:

Agreed!

Smudge
October 6th, 2010, 08:11
Okay, I like flying LOOOONG distances.. :P

thanks to the feedback, we have three 'touring' versions of the A-10 in the upcoming build...

Cross Country - No external tanks and 2 Travel Pods
Long Range Cross Country - Centerline tank and 2 Travel Pods
Ferry - Two Wing tanks and 2 Travel Pods

:) Although you can virtually refuel whereever you want, it's nice to have a couple of tanks slung under the wings.. :D

I'm allowed a certain amount of artistic licence.. I built it..lol.

Here's a blurry shot of the new CAS loadout thanks to ColoKent.. :)

And before anyone points it out... I don't have a model of an ALQ-131, so you'll have to make do with an ALQ-119 instead.. :P

halvar342
October 6th, 2010, 08:25
That cas is for me. :D Looks exactly that what i was looking for.

Dont worry about the ALQ-119 it was carried by the A-10A so far as i know. :-)

skyhawka4m
October 6th, 2010, 08:47
Okay, I like flying LOOOONG distances.. :P

thanks to the feedback, we have three 'touring' versions of the A-10 in the upcoming build...

Cross Country - No external tanks and 2 Travel Pods
Long Range Cross Country - Centerline tank and 2 Travel Pods
Ferry - Two Wing tanks and 2 Travel Pods

:) Although you can virtually refuel whereever you want, it's nice to have a couple of tanks slung under the wings.. :D

I'm allowed a certain amount of artistic licence.. I built it..lol.

Here's a blurry shot of the new CAS loadout thanks to ColoKent.. :)

And before anyone points it out... I don't have a model of an ALQ-131, so you'll have to make do with an ALQ-119 instead.. :P

This looks good....anyway you could do this loadout without the bombs though? Call it a training loadout.....then you'd have the VERY typical loadout seen most often. 2 mav's, the rocket pod, sidewinders and ecm.

Also, is there a way to release weapons in free flight mod? I tried it, I got the pickle call but nothing dropped.

Kiwikat
October 6th, 2010, 10:51
Nice list of updates David! I can't wait to buy her! :jump:

hammer353
October 6th, 2010, 15:23
Will these mods be an update to the current A-10 or will the mods be a whole new aircraft?

Smudge
October 6th, 2010, 17:48
Hammer, it's an update to the existing aircraft product... free of charge to existing purchasers.

I'll do the training loadout too as suggested.. :)

DB.

SADT
October 6th, 2010, 18:50
Hi david,

Does this update allow the TV to be used as a radar or a GPS?
That would e a great feature to have.....;)

Smudge
October 6th, 2010, 18:59
The update has a popup GPS window rather than an integrated GPS system. It does the job though.. :)

Rattler
October 6th, 2010, 19:07
The update has a popup GPS window rather than an integrated GPS system. It does the job though.. :)

Now I will Know where I am Flying To.

LOL:173go1::173go1::173go1:

skyhawka4m
October 6th, 2010, 19:35
Hammer, it's an update to the existing aircraft product... free of charge to existing purchasers.

I'll do the training loadout too as suggested.. :)

DB.

you rock David!!!

skyhawka4m
October 7th, 2010, 05:30
slightly modified weapons texture. I made the Mavericks IR sensor instead of camera, and darkened the gray of the maverick and the ECM pod. Nothing major....just a preference of mine.

When my repaints finally come out I will put this texture in some of them to make some variant a little different. My best freind who's a weapons loader on A-10's did say though that most times they carry one of each but the way the plane is textured this isn't possible.....oh well....she's still an awesome bird.

Rattler
October 7th, 2010, 05:32
slightly modified weapons texture. I made the Mavericks IR sensor instead of camera, and darkened the gray of the maverick and the ECM pod. Nothing major....just a preference of mine.

Nice Mod:salute::salute::salute:

skyhawka4m
October 7th, 2010, 05:41
SMudge...I do have a question. I noticed in the texture files there's a texture for the inner part of the boarding ladder door....does this open and ladder drop?

Smudge
October 7th, 2010, 05:52
Yes there's a small black button on the right panel located just below the canopy open/close switch... push it once to operate the boarding ladder...push it again to retract it.. :)

Oh and on the subject of Mavericks... the Precison Strike loadout has been removed in favour of some new ones... oh and the mavericks on board now have one IR and one Optical.. :)

DB.

skyhawka4m
October 7th, 2010, 06:00
roger that...awesome!!!

Smudge
October 7th, 2010, 06:03
Okay, here's three from the new build.. :)

New HUD materials for a brighter vivid HUD.. really the pictures don't do it justice.. :)

Oh and the new training variant with training mavericks.. :) great fun.. :P

Dag
October 7th, 2010, 06:08
Splendid stuff David :-) Nice HUD, real nice. I also like your training "rear-fin-missing missilery" :-)

Smudge
October 7th, 2010, 06:09
lol, thanks Dag...everyone posted up enough photos for me to get it in the ballpark...lol.

Oh and I've halved the opacity of the pit glass from 30% to 15% and it makes a huge difference.. :)

DB.

MDIvey
October 7th, 2010, 06:46
This is a great model David... Only thing I wasnt too keen on was the high G Pilot grunting in external views but no biggy...couple of questions though....

how will we get the updated files?...redownloading from our supplier?

and how do I get the model to autostart... On a few flights the engines cut at the start and I couldnt get them to auto start using CTL_E

Matt

Smudge
October 7th, 2010, 06:59
You'll be able to just redownload from your supplier, not a problem.. if that fails for some reason, drop me a support ticket with your vendors order number via the IRIS website and I'll do my best to sort out a copy for you.

Ctrl+E won't work on the A-10, generally speaking when using quickstart, I left click the quickstart switch, then click on each of the throttles to move them from shutoff to idle..

The engines won't turn over though if there's no bleed air from the APU though..so make sure your APU switch and APU Gen switches are on and the APU is running.. :)

The High G grunting can be turned off with the CIPHONY delay switch turned to 'off'.. :)

Failing that or you can delete the agsm_heavy.wav and agsm_light.wav files from your IRIS A-10A Warthog - CL/Panel/A10-AUDIO/ folder.. :)

DB.

MDIvey
October 7th, 2010, 07:24
Thanks David... will give it a try

Matt

skyhawka4m
October 7th, 2010, 08:15
The training load looks cool!!! I see you even did the spilt textures for the Mavericks!! But she still hass the fuel tank? Very cool Smudge.

One question......whats up with the sidewinder? did you put and ACMI pod on instead of the winder? thats usually only a Nellis deal. I'd stick with the normal winder.

Also, where is the texture for the fuel tank?

mohawk3
October 7th, 2010, 10:02
Just one little issue: no wheel brakes are modelled

Smudge
October 7th, 2010, 14:25
Yes I occasionally see finless winders..not sure why, but I do.. :)

As for the fuel tank texture, it's a big rectangular shape on the number 3 map I think..

Finally how can you stop if the wheel brakes aren't modelled... I have no issues with using the wheel brakes on my system..can someone else verify this please.

DB.

starlifter
October 7th, 2010, 14:44
The sidewinders without fins are training shapes. They can lock on to a target in a training mission without worrying about shooting another aircraft down.

mohawk3
October 7th, 2010, 15:09
Yes I occasionally see finless winders..not sure why, but I do.. :)

As for the fuel tank texture, it's a big rectangular shape on the number 3 map I think..

Finally how can you stop if the wheel brakes aren't modelled... I have no issues with using the wheel brakes on my system..can someone else verify this please.

DB.
Well, I meant that the brakes aren't in the visual model...Anything else is very ok

doublecool
October 7th, 2010, 16:09
Is the update released?:kilroy:

DaveKDEN
October 7th, 2010, 16:34
Looks like the IRIS A-10 and this would be a real nice mix:

http://maxborgesagencyblog.com/2010/10/07/thrustmaster-launches-the-hotas-warthog™-a-realistic-joystick-for-flight-enthusiasts/

JAllen
October 7th, 2010, 18:01
Blue weapons are inert training devices. Just so you know.

skyhawka4m
October 7th, 2010, 18:48
airforce uses blue bands on its weapons to denote training shape. Yellow means its the real deal.

hammer353
October 7th, 2010, 18:53
The update would we have to download it from the site that we bought the hog from or do we have to download it from iris's website?
Do you plan on doing a manual that will include reference speeds and a checklist?

DaveWG
October 7th, 2010, 22:34
Any chance of a HD paintkit with a stencil layer?

Looking forward to the update!:salute:

MDIvey
October 8th, 2010, 03:47
You'll be able to just redownload from your supplier, not a problem.. if that fails for some reason, drop me a support ticket with your vendors order number via the IRIS website and I'll do my best to sort out a copy for you.

Ctrl+E won't work on the A-10, generally speaking when using quickstart, I left click the quickstart switch, then click on each of the throttles to move them from shutoff to idle..

The engines won't turn over though if there's no bleed air from the APU though..so make sure your APU switch and APU Gen switches are on and the APU is running.. :)

The High G grunting can be turned off with the CIPHONY delay switch turned to 'off'.. :)

Failing that or you can delete the agsm_heavy.wav and agsm_light.wav files from your IRIS A-10A Warthog - CL/Panel/A10-AUDIO/ folder.. :)

DB.

Can you point me in the direction of the APU controls David...havent been able to identify these yet and I'm still not managing simple start up and I think the APU is the reason

Matt

MDIvey
October 8th, 2010, 04:19
Sorry David... found it right by throttles.

The texture art is outstanding, as is the model and sounds. I'm maybe showing my age a bit but when I used to see these hugging the tree tops trying to evade Binbrooks lightnings i seem to remember they where in an all green scheme with black markings... any chance of including one of those?

Matt

ZsoltB
October 8th, 2010, 06:00
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7663/74fs.jpg (http://img179.imageshack.us/i/74fs.jpg/)

skyhawka4m
October 8th, 2010, 06:45
i'd like to see this repaint but its not coming through...will you be making this available?

ZsoltB
October 8th, 2010, 08:42
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7813/81tfw.jpg (http://img717.imageshack.us/i/81tfw.jpg/)

skyhawka4m
October 8th, 2010, 08:53
nice paints! I'm planning on doing a version of the FT markings also at some point but your looks nice.

ZsoltB
October 8th, 2010, 11:19
i'd like to see this repaint but its not coming through...will you be making this available?

74FS update:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1684/39622292.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/39622292.jpg/)

Rattler
October 8th, 2010, 14:10
What News on the Update Please?:kilroy:

Kiwikat
October 8th, 2010, 14:23
It'd sure be cool if the updated version were released tonight as I just finished my XML homework... :wiggle:

Of course that won't speed up the process any. I'm sure if there were something to report, David would say something.

Rattler
October 8th, 2010, 14:29
No harm in asking, IMO!
last I heard it would be out during the Week, Just Making Sure I hadn`t missed Anything, I`m Sure you Understand:173go1::173go1::173go1:

piperarcherpilot
October 8th, 2010, 18:56
Hmm...

I wonder if David is catching up on a bunch of lost sleep...I wouldnt blame him.

halvar342
October 8th, 2010, 19:39
Hmm...

I wonder if David is catching up on a bunch of lost sleep...I wouldnt blame him.

Yes i agreed with that without doubt. And i appreciate the stream of info from David very much. Thats keeping up with the things like most standing behind the IRIS Team and see whats going on. Thanks for that David. :wavey:

ZsoltB
October 8th, 2010, 20:51
What News on the Update Please?:kilroy:

Hello,

OK! Sorry!
The markings repaired!
See # 199 Comments
Beautiful model, but the markings are not correct
Meanwhile, get the update
I like when the markings are accurate

Thank you!

Zsolt

skyblazer3
October 9th, 2010, 15:52
This is really looking like a great aircraft. Does anyone know if it has a functional INS system?

I've been told that the A-7 had a top-notch INS.

Cheers,

Chris

piperarcherpilot
October 9th, 2010, 19:13
....So....the big question.....

Several progress updates a day to a flat-line.

Mr Brice, everything alright...? Hows that manual coming?

ColoKent
October 9th, 2010, 19:18
...give the guy a chance to rest...

K.

piperarcherpilot
October 9th, 2010, 19:28
...give the guy a chance to rest...

K.

If you look back a page or so, I acknowledged this fact. I didn't say anything that warrants your response.

You saw a post and sure were quick to jump in here to see what it was.

Take your pent up frustration elsewhere...

skyhawka4m
October 9th, 2010, 19:51
He is currently working on the manual and finishing touches on the new loadout models.

I know this will be well worth the wait......:applause:

ColoKent
October 9th, 2010, 20:24
...my comment wasn't directed at any one person-- just an overall observation. Here's a newsflash: my post wasn't about you (aka "It's not all about you"). Chill, my friend.

Kent

piperarcherpilot
October 9th, 2010, 20:29
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-05-08-99.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-04-16-88.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-06-52-13.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-06-48-88.jpg

And to ColoKent - I apologize. Guess I might have been a little too defensive...

ColoKent
October 9th, 2010, 20:33
D*mn nice shots....looks like 355th Wing....Archer-- did you paint those?

K.

P.S. The ONLY thing that sucks about David's A-10 is that I'm not home to fly it!!!!

piperarcherpilot
October 9th, 2010, 20:36
Thanks - and no, thats a paint thats included with the base IRIS pack. I just tweaked levels and saturation after I took the screenshots.

ColoKent
October 9th, 2010, 20:38
Thanks - and no, thats a paint thats included with the base IRIS pack. I just tweaked levels and saturation after I took the screenshots.

Really...I don't remember it. I got a whole evening of flying it before I had to hit the road again. Have you tried the freeware Woodbridge/Bentwaters scenery? It's great.

K.

P.S. If they just had Osan out there somewhere...

ZsoltB
October 9th, 2010, 21:14
D*mn nice shots....looks like 355th Wing....Archer-- did you paint those?

K.

P.S. The ONLY thing that sucks about David's A-10 is that I'm not home to fly it!!!!

See #203 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=43734&p=491619&viewfull=1#post491619)

piperarcherpilot
October 9th, 2010, 21:14
Wow...the RAF Woodbridge & RAF Bentwaters package is very nice! Love the AI planes buzzing around...

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-49-31-90.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-58-44-24-1.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-46-15-19.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/PiperArcherPilot/fsx2010-10-0922-48-11-80.jpg

ericts
October 9th, 2010, 21:19
Sweet. These screenshots look more and more like something on Airliners.net. :salute:

skyhawka4m
October 9th, 2010, 21:22
I just iwhs the DM bird didn't have the teeth. The teeth were originally from EL tailcodes aircaft at England AFB in Louisiana, and then FT when they went to Pope AFB. I was hoping there was a nice paint kit for the F-16D to do a F-16 with sharks teeth also to match the A-10 but haven't found one yet.

piperarcherpilot
October 9th, 2010, 21:27
Sweet. These screenshots look more and more like something on Airliners.net. :salute:

Thanks. I just cant get over how truly beautiful the 3d model is...everything about it is so smooth and refined...!

EDIT: Of course I'm just nit picking...but as I was taking these screenshots, I noticed something: In foggy weather, the A-10 HUD text goes grey and disappears, blending into the background...anyone else have this problem?

dswo
October 10th, 2010, 03:52
To those who own both: how do framerates on this model compare with the recent A-7 from Razbam?

Dag
October 10th, 2010, 05:06
To those who own both: how do framerates on this model compare with the recent A-7 from Razbam?

I experience a slight drop in FPS (4-5 FPS) when I activate HUD symbology in the A-7. The A-10 is way up there no matter. I have my FPS locked at 30.

Smudge
October 10th, 2010, 13:35
I had a well earned weekend off.. :P Down the park with my son and some QT on the PS3...lol.

Can't get me down...although back to the grind today.. ;)

rvn817j
October 10th, 2010, 13:39
Really enjoying the Hawg (and some RW flying) this weekend. Looking forward to the update...you deserve a longer weekend off! (For some here in the states it is a 3 day weekend.)

peter12213
October 10th, 2010, 15:36

The frames are excellent David, better than the corsair even with the 32bit textures!

merida72
October 11th, 2010, 09:49
I'm tempted to buy it ... :bump:

But I'd like to ask:

What I Like: ...

What I Don't Like: ...

Greetings
:ernae:

Yoda
October 11th, 2010, 15:27
I'm tempted to buy it ...

But I'd like to ask:

What I Like: ...

What I Don't Like: ...

What I like:

1. The model. Positively spectacular.
2. The flight model. Solid as a rock, exactly what you'd expect from a gun platform. There are some improvments coming in the SP, but these are minor tweaks, because the flight model is already superb.
3. The VC. 3D gauges throughout, all very smooth. Nearly all the switches work, or at least perform some function. Effects and options are controlled by cockpit switches, which is a nice touch.
4. Custom effects. The Night Vision Goggles effect is fantastic, as are the custom sounds.

What I don't like:
1. The navigation system is incomplete. This works fairly well and will fly a flight plan entered through the FSX Flight Planner, but the ability to advance or return to waypoints would be very handy, especially when simulating a hold at a control point while awaiting a CAS tasker. It would also be nice to add a point in flight.
2. The weapons control system is incomplete. I'd like the ability to select a number of weapons to be dropped per "squeeze of the pickle", and I'd like a choice of weapons beyond MK82 High Drags.
3. The fuel system doesn't seem to work correctly with regard to external tanks. This is nitpicky, I admit.

Everything else I don't like seems to be on the list of fixes for SP1.

This is worth the money, no question.

Best Regards,
Kurt

Gene K
October 13th, 2010, 09:41
The teeth were originally from EL tailcodes aircaft at England AFB in Louisiana, .....
Has anyone done a repaint for the Alex (England AFB) birds?

Gene K

Kiwikat
October 13th, 2010, 11:11
What happened to the update?

Rattler
October 13th, 2010, 11:17
It'd sure be cool if the updated version were released tonight as I just finished my XML homework... :wiggle:

Of course that won't speed up the process any. I'm sure if there were something to report, David would say something.

LOL :salute::salute::salute:

Kiwikat
October 13th, 2010, 11:19
Well there's not been any progress posted on facebook since the 8th. Just wondering what is going on... :173go1:

Theres a difference between asking after 5 hours and asking after 5 days.

merida72
October 13th, 2010, 12:06
thank you very much

then I wait for the update and then I decide to buy it ... although the question of support is crucial for me ... and in general, I repeat "in general" a bit 'is lacking...

warchild
October 13th, 2010, 12:30
As of 21:00 pacific time last night, David was still plugging away on the Manual.. Be patient.. You haven't been abandoned and its on its way.. ;)
Pam

skyhawka4m
October 13th, 2010, 20:05
wow....you guys have to chill some. All of the mod's that we have asked for on this forum and others, the manual, the modeling involved with new loads...and you guys want it at the snap of a finger......Lets be realistic fella's. I'm not goonna rush something if I know the end product will be even better than what has been out already.

Believe me I am very anxious also to get to painting but I wam waiting to make sure my paints work for all the model changes.....should there be any.

ZsoltB
October 14th, 2010, 02:02
Here's a little truer Avenger sound...

http://data.hu/get/3072932/A10-AUDIO.ZIP.html

Smudge
October 14th, 2010, 04:55
I agree with skyhawk... I can browse the SOH forums and give regular updates or I can concentrate on work... Can't do both... if I try, I screw both things up.. lol. C'mon..men and multitasking?!? need I say more?

Anyway, as it is, Version 1.2 is compiling as I type and now I'm happy with her... barring any major (and I mean major issues), I'll not be touching the A-10 until at least next year.. :) I've got other aircraft to focus on and a house to organise as promised...

Both myself and the rest of the Team (Pam, Matt, Nick etc...) have worked our asses to the bone with this one and I'm happy with what we've put together... (I was happy before, but there's always room for improvement.. ;) )

As we stand at the moment we've taken on board most if not all the comments made from various avenues and have put this build together from them.

I just hope you all enjoy it.

DB

Smudge
October 14th, 2010, 07:08
Okay, files on my server, but I won't be distributing links to the vendors until the morning after I've had some sleep.. Catch you all in about 8 hours.. :)

Rattler
October 14th, 2010, 08:38
:salute::salute::salute:

halvar342
October 14th, 2010, 10:04
Have a good sleep than. :salute:

Kiwikat
October 14th, 2010, 10:10
Great news! I'll be purchasing her tomorrow! :jump::jump::jump:

Rattler
October 14th, 2010, 16:55
:173go1::173go1::173go1:
:wavey:

:wavey:

Kiwikat
October 14th, 2010, 17:12
^

'Cause banks don't deposit ur paycheck till the next day... :a1451:

Rattler
October 14th, 2010, 18:08
Dude... Relax, Take a Breath...:pop4: Maybe a Nice Bubble bath, And Some warm Tea may relax you some.:sleep:

Kiwikat
October 14th, 2010, 18:11
Dude... Relax, Take a Breath...:pop4: Maybe a Nice Bubble bath, And Some warm Tea may relax you some.:sleep:

lol I'm flying the L-39 right now. :jump:

Still gotta be one of the best planes ever made...

Kiwikat
October 14th, 2010, 20:50
So are you awake now Mr. Brice? :173go1:

Smudge
October 14th, 2010, 21:29
I'm awake..been that way all day.. ;)