PDA

View Full Version : Should I stop downloading?

huub vink
October 2nd, 2010, 05:20
This morning I when through all the aircrafts, cars, helicopter and even boats which I have installed in FSX. And I must confess there is a huge amount which I hardly have used and most likely will never use again.

There are only a few aircrafts I fly regularly. It will not surprise you but these are WWII warbirds in most cases and some other aircraft like Dave Garwood's Auster and Dragon Rapide, Uncle Milton's stuff and several aircrafts by Piglet. And when I fly these aircraft, in most cases, I will fly them with the same liveries.

So can somebody please explain me why I am always lurking around to see whether there are new models or repaints? And when there are; I can't stop myself from downloading them?

A puzzled,
Huub

One of my more regular rides.....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/DG_Beaufighter_1.jpg

falcon409
October 2nd, 2010, 05:30
Ahh, the dreaded. . ."I just need one more" bug Huub, lol. It's really bad when you realize that the ones you fly the most often are the freeware airplanes and not the payware ones you paid hundreds to get, lol.:salute:

TeaSea
October 2nd, 2010, 05:31
I have the same problem.

I can't explain it.

It's a disease.....we need therapy.

Lateral-G
October 2nd, 2010, 05:55
It's a sickness.....there is no cure.

You learn to live with it........

jstanbro
October 2nd, 2010, 06:14
I have an odd variation of this disease - I scan the download sites every day, and download everything that looks interesting (at the time), but hardly ever get around to installing any of it. I have no idea why I do this...

Jerry

Roger
October 2nd, 2010, 06:29
Huub I have the same disease:costum:

PRB
October 2nd, 2010, 06:52
I don't have that problem at all. Nope, not in the slightest. Ooooh, where did you get that RAAF paint for the Beaufighter? That's nice, I gotta have it! :icon_lol:

Kowalski65
October 2nd, 2010, 06:55
Same here
"My name is Andrew..and I'm a download-aholic!"

I guess it maybe because we might want to fly it one day

Curtis P40
October 2nd, 2010, 07:10
That's what's great about being a "sim" pilot. You can fly aircraft you probably wouldn't even get to touch in real life.

OleBoy
October 2nd, 2010, 07:19
Huub, I use to have the very same symptoms. I was a possessive-compulsive downloading addict. Anything that looked interesting I had to have mothballed. Until recently I had an eye opener. Here in the states we have reality shows. One of them addresses hoarding. That's me..well, it was..in a flight sim sense.
....Something that curbs myself doing that I found is doing repaints.

By the way, what aircraft is that you're displaying? A Bristol Beaufighter? It looks very nicely done. Must be one of your repaints I'm guessing :salute:

mikezola
October 2nd, 2010, 07:33
Hello-
I agree with all of the above...
1) There's nothing wrong with us...(twitch, twitch)
2) We're enjoying something that we may never get to see/do/touch in real life... be it a Hughes XF-11, RCAF Voodoo, Mustang, Demoiselle, flight over Nepal, whatever...

For me, the flying is only part of the attraction... I look at it like having my own little virtual aircraft museum, where all the exhibits are flyable... if it catches my fancy, I download it- maybe even attempt a 'restoration' once in awhile... -Mike Z.

Drzook
October 2nd, 2010, 07:40
I have the same thing going on...cruise the usual suspects (flightsim.com, simviation, et cetera) nearly every day, looking for what's new; install it, fly it around the patch couple three times, then put it in reserve. If it's really cool it stays for a week or so in active. There are a few on my 'do not reserve' list but those are few and far between. I'm not sure if it's a disease or compulsion or what. I'm not willing to admit it's a problem...at least until I start running out of space on my hard drive. Oh well, guess I'll just have to live with it as I have for the last 10+ years. :monkies:

Oddly enough I don't have any variants of the Bristol Beaufighter in my virtual hangars...that's a very nice Beau you got there Huub...might have to do some looking around...:running:

flaviossa
October 2nd, 2010, 07:50
And i thought it was only me ....
My FSX instalation is now at 165GB ... i think i really use 30Gb of it. Go figure!

jankees
October 2nd, 2010, 07:51
downloading is not the problem I think, it's the fact that we do not delete enough!

(currently at 86Gb...)

Tako_Kichi
October 2nd, 2010, 07:54
Oddly enough I don't have any variants of the Bristol Beaufighter in my virtual hangars...that's a very nice Beau you got there Huub...might have to do some looking around...:running:
Here ya go....

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=beaufsx.zip&CatID=fsxac&Go=Search

....it's FSX only though and a very nice freeware aircraft. Just watch your approach speed on landing, get it below 90 knots and she will drop like a stone.

OleBoy
October 2nd, 2010, 07:59
Should I stop downloading?

Then there's Larry kindly feeding us animals. Of which I was waiting for a link :bump:

Here ya go....

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=beaufsx.zip&CatID=fsxac&Go=Search

....it's FSX only though and a very nice freeware aircraft. Just watch your approach speed on landing, get it below 90 knots and she will drop like a stone.

Thanks Larry.

Kowalski65
October 2nd, 2010, 08:02
224 Gb here :icon_eek:

No wonder FSX takes so long to load up,and why I am running out of room on the hard drive!

Tako_Kichi
October 2nd, 2010, 08:03
Then there's Larry kindly feeding us animals.
:redf:

Just trying to help out fellow download abusers!

Don't want you all going cold turkey now do we!

Thanks Larry.
You're welcome OB. :wavey:

italoc
October 2nd, 2010, 08:14
downloading is not the problem I think, it's the fact that we do not delete enough!

(currently at 86Gb...)

How right, you are, Jankees !!!!!!
And then when I finally decide to delete one ...... I end up storing it in a corner of my backup HD..... in case of future use
I think is a case of FS overdosehttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif
Italo

Bjoern
October 2nd, 2010, 09:34
I occasionally clean out any unused add-ons and think twice before I download anything new.

There isn't much stuff out there that fits my portfolio anyways.

warchild
October 2nd, 2010, 09:41

(currently at 86Gb...)
86 gig?? Holy mackerel, thats ten more gig than me.. I've been a slouch.. I better start buying more... Oh wait.. i deleted all the pmdg and lvlD and arianes, and a bunch more recently.. but i still think you got more than me ::LOL::...
Truth told, I dont try and buy a plane every month. Some months i buy a video game like Mass Effect, or Fable. But i know i'm going to retire some day and not be doing flight models any more and theres allllll these planes i want to fly, but cant right now.. So :) :) .. Besides, for me, its a business investment.. i can fly the planes and look into their flight models and see how the engineer created it and get a better understanding of the internal workings of flight models and the various inter-relationships in there.. :) its an educational expense .. :) yeahh,, dats it.. edjumacation :) :) dats my story and i'm stickin wid it :::LOL:::

n4gix
October 2nd, 2010, 10:06
Every time I get a new "Flightsim Computer," the old one gets "demoted" to be my main desk "development computer." This is the one on which I'm typing at the moment, while I have a GMax or Max project "in progress" and Photoshop loaded...

The "old" development computer gets further demoted to a more sedate "file server" on my LAN...

Anyway, I recently looked at some of the stuff on the oldest of my "file server" machines and found to my utter amazement some zipped files in my "FS Downloads" folder that date back to FS98!

For whatever reason, I'd d/l'ed a bunch of stuff and then simply forgot it was there, and never even installed it... :isadizzy:

I just peeked into my current "FS Downloads" folder and see some zipped files that I've never looked at, some of which I can't for the life of me remember downloading, and don't even know what they were for! :ernae:

Yeah, it's a sickness alright!

LonelyplanetXO
October 2nd, 2010, 10:34
hmmm, i had the same er, "disease" in FS9 for years, yet FSX largely cured it. There's really a dearth of freeware available for X. That not to say "nothing", thanks to Piglet, Lionheart, Milton, Anti and others, but new freeware releases for FSX are comparitively few and far between. I suspect the bar has been raised so high that people making models just for fun have become an endangered species; and rightly so - you'd have to be a major enthusiast to spend hundreds of hours modelling, cutting code etc, just for fun (many thanks to those who persist) . So the alternative is payware and I've spent a small fortune on sceneries and models for X, but have decided to ban any further purchases because FSX gets started less and less frequently, and because with a limited capability system, many addons are unusable.
That said, the other issue with "downloaditus" as others have pointed out is that 99% of those treasures never stay in use long. Over years I've distilled my flying down to about 10-12 models and I rarely stray from them. For me all the fun in the world can be had with those few marvellous toys. My picks are mostly payware (but not entirely)
- Lionheart's Epic (FS9 & X)
- Carenado Mooney (FS9 & X)
- Realair Spitfire(s)(FS9 & X)
- Lotus L39 (FSX, Kryptust's version in FS9)
- Ant's Tecnam (FSX)
- Section F8 Sabre (FS9)
- Manfred Jahn's freeware Superconnie (FS9)
- FSD Avanti (FS9)
- Eaglesoft Citation X (FS9)
- Pilatus PC12 (FS9)
- Nemeth freeware Squirrell (FS9)
- Legendary C130 (FS9 & X)
- Iris Harrier - freeware (FS9)

LPXO

Ferry_vO
October 2nd, 2010, 12:10
I guess a lot here, like me, used to (Or still do) collect model aircraft when we were young, paint them and then pretend we were flying them while making aircraft noises. These days we still collect aircraft, paint them and pretend we are flying, only there's no need to dust anymore and the sounds are more realistic.

I try to put a limit on buying aircraft these days, as I have too many already so I only look for good deals. Speaking of which, that Boomerang has a good price but that 'Turbine Toucan' from FSD looks tempting too.. :kilroy:

And remember Huub: You don't stop playing because you get older, but you get old when you stop playing!

huub vink
October 2nd, 2010, 13:29
I don't have that problem at all. Nope, not in the slightest. Ooooh, where did you get that RAAF paint for the Beaufighter? That's nice, I gotta have it! :icon_lol:

Paul and Oleboy,

The Beaufighter is Dave Garwood's model and the repaint is done by Jeansy and can be found on Ozx (Aussiex.org).

It is comforting to see many of us have the same disease. I think I can live with it, but I think my hard-disk is rapidly reaching its end!

Cheers,
Huub

Another of my regular ones.......
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/CH_FW190A8.jpg

Roger
October 2nd, 2010, 13:38
It is comforting to see many of us have the same disease. I think I can live with it, but I think my hard-disk is rapidly reaching its end!

Cheers,
Huub

That's why I did a clone of my 300 gig drive onto a bootable terabyte drive :-)

peter12213
October 2nd, 2010, 13:46
255gb of aircraft and scenery on my external HD, I can honestly say I only use about 10% of aircraft I own but I'm just a collector and must as a habbit have them all lol! It's getting to be an obsession with me these days!

kilo delta
October 2nd, 2010, 14:08
Yep...I'm guilty of the same compulsion. What I've started doing recently is to create a Storage Hangar folder in the FSX folder and I swap aircraft folders out back and forth from the SimObjects folder depending on what sort of flying I'm planning on doing.

peter12213
October 2nd, 2010, 14:18
Yeah I also keep the aircraft folder with all the addon paints in a separate file with the original installer so I don't loose any lol, it's crazy what flying does to you lol!

LCBORDEN
October 2nd, 2010, 14:19
I noticed I have this affliction as well. So I decided I would limit myself to five (5) textures per aircraft. This works great for lets say a 737....but when I get down to my favorites...(WWII piston) HOLY CRAP!! try picking just five textures for warbirdsims P-51B/C, or the A2A B-17, or Vertigos P-36....I dare you to just pick just five of any texture by Jan Kees. or Epsillon, Bruce448, or Bomber12th...you get the picture...So at this time I'm stuck trying to make major decisions on textures I really love. However I know by trimming the files down I will help FSX run smoother...Dang this is hard....Oh by the way, When will your files for the new F8F be ready to download...I still have a couple slots left.....(sigh)..

Ol'Jarhead:wavey:

SADT
October 2nd, 2010, 16:02
Same "problem" here :jump:

I agree with Jankees; "Downloading is not the problem, its the fact that we do not delete enough!"

Of course downloading is also the problem when I use up the family's bandwidth and have to explain why it went down to zero in 2 weeks....... :engel016: :bump:

TeaSea
October 2nd, 2010, 16:12
I've decided that the only way to beat this is to download some more....I need a few new moon colors off Simviation.

Really....

I do....

No kidding....

I might even install it.

Navy Chief
October 2nd, 2010, 16:35
Like kids in a candy store, except the store is open 24/7, and so much is free!!!!!!!!!

I can think of worse things to be addicted to.

NC

peter12213
October 2nd, 2010, 16:39
I might add that most of mine is actually payware, with the exception of a few outstanding models from Tim, and others!

Z-IanMCD
October 2nd, 2010, 22:32
Couldn't it be that we are just flightsim "hunter-gatherers"?

I think I prefer that one to download junkie! (which I am BTW)

Cheers,

Ian

TeaSea
October 3rd, 2010, 05:40
Clearly a natural primitive reaction to the daily stress of modern society.

A hoarding of electronic nuts if you willl

Need to protect your nuts.

LouP
October 3rd, 2010, 06:41
Simple answer:

NAHHH, keep on going, hard drives are cheap. :jump:

LouP

huub vink
October 3rd, 2010, 06:42
So I decided I would limit myself to five (5) textures per aircraft.

Tried that as well Ol'Jarhead, but once I have removed repaints, I suddenly want to fly a repaint I have just removed......
And I consider it not fair to my colleague repainters not to download their work!

Apart from just far too much items in my FSX and FS9 install, I also have the strange habit to sort everything and burn it on CDs. I got piles of them (from the CFS2 era until now) and when I want something I simply can't find it on my CDs and end up by re-downloading the file for the second, third or whatever time! :confused: :confused: :confused:

An even more puzzled,
Huub

Another regular ride.....
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/A2A_Bf109_a1.jpg

LCBORDEN
October 3rd, 2010, 09:53
Huub, I have done that, and been there....a pile of CD's with "important" stuff. Stuff I just know I will re-install one day. Then "BAM" a new shiny even better aircraft comes along and the cd's just gather dust.. I admit I am having trouble with the "Five" texture limit...I being a big strong former Marine blame it all on Jan Kees. Yeah....that's who to blame...him and Bomber, and epsillon and EVEN YOU!!! all you talented skinners....Oh well as someone else stated above HardDrives are fairly cheap... Keep up all the good work you sim artists.

Ol'Jarhead:wavey:
'

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 10:08
Another regular ride.....

Call me niave but, I'm not up to snuff on a lot of aircraft. ME-109?, modeler, where to find it?

Curious,. Why is there not a freeware topic in this forum as there is in the fs2004?
.....I feel left out!! Quick, someone do something :wavey:

huub vink
October 3rd, 2010, 10:13
This Bf109 is not freeware. It is the A2A Bf109 which came with the WWII fighters CD for FS2004. When you can find a copy of this package, it is definitely worth its value. (More infoprmation here: http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/wwiifighters/ )

There are free updates available to make 4 of the 5 models on this CD FSX native and the 5th can be used as a good port over.

Cheers,
Huub

Definitely my favourite sea plane; Piglet's Kingfisher with a repaint by Steve "Stalin" Baldwin.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/ppp_Kingfisher.jpg

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 10:15
Thanks for sharing that info. I'm writing that down for future sale searching ;)

Tako_Kichi
October 3rd, 2010, 10:33
The A2A 109 is also available in the 'Solo' range. One aircraft from the WWII Fighters set at a very low price.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=16

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/solo/bf109/

If you get it you should also run the v1.2 patch available from here...

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6280

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 11:12
Huub, I've always had a thing for the water craft. Problem is that I can't bring myself to fly them right now due to minimal (very minimal) settings of visuals. My computer just chokes when I get the slightest inclination of touching the sliders. So, anything that closely resembles water looks like a lifeless light blue flat spot in the terrain.

bazzar
October 3rd, 2010, 14:28
Think about it this way Huub.

Collectors of anything from glass jars to Ferarris all suffer the same problem. When and if to stop. Everybody does the same thing. The way I see it is that you are "collecting" aircraft, albeit virtual ones and if you think about it, what swells the collector's chest? The size of their collection. They then go on to catalogue and often write books about their chosen passion. You could too I guess.

So, there is no "sin" in any of it, it takes up no physical space so there is nothing to dust, as somebody said earlier, hard-drives are cheap these days and the bottom line: who cares?

Party on dude.

Daube
October 3rd, 2010, 14:44
I have found a very simple solution to this kind of problem.
It's called "smoking power supply".
It's a special feature that forces you to buy an all new computer on which you will have to reinstall a fresh OS and a fresh FSX.
Upon reinstall, you really get to select the planes you want to put back in the hangar, a strict selection you would never do in normal time...

Yes, it has happened to me, and yes I'm just starting to reinstall my planes :/

FlameOut
July 20th, 2011, 17:15
...just reviving this old thread....

OK, I'll come clean. I have a disease, I'm a hoarder, download junkie, anything that is new on the market that I like...I'll buy it...and then the process of acquiring all of those repaints starts over for me and you talented folks around here ain't helping one little iddy biddy bit!

I want to know if there is a "limit" on the number of repaints?
Is it due to H.D. space?
Is it due to the amount of memory?
Is it due to some kind of limit imposed by the FSX SDK?
Is it due to all that stuff that is going on on the dark side of the moon?

44129 I have 1,470 repaints !!!

It took me a couple of days to count that high. The answer is NO, I did not delete any of them to see if I could add the ones that I'm having trouble installing. What a crazy idea, who would ever think of deleting a repaint...pfft.
I might just need that one, one day. Look at how beautiful it is.

Anyway, I stand before you humbled and...

narah
July 21st, 2011, 01:51
No !!! Considered that myself from time to time and i am happy to see this Thread. As long as we are flying (not tweaking/complaining around) itīs such a nice hobby.

flaviossa
July 21st, 2011, 09:52
I reached 250Gb of FSX installed this month. With 700 planes in the "aircfraft" folder ... And itīs working fine till now ....

aeronca1
July 21st, 2011, 10:20
I download almost every new aircraft I come across. While I keep copies of all archived, I only keep those that I consider awesome, permanently installed in my sims. I also pare the liveries down to a favourite few for each aircraft. It is unusual for me to have more than a half dozen liveries for any plane.

bkeske
July 21st, 2011, 11:01
Downloading has simply been a 'way of life' for me in FS since I began with FS5.

As above, it becomes and addiction. Sometimes I feel like I have a 'museum' of stuff rather than things I actually use.

Every time I tell myself I really don't need it, I download 'it' anyway just to sneak a peek....then install...then check it out....them fiddle...then check it out again...and heck, sometimes I even utilize what I download once in a while. :icon_lol:

Some things I pay for I use all the time, like UTX, GEX, Active Sky, FEX, etc. But my downfall has always been aircraft. Individual airport scenery also used to 'pile up', but not as much in FSX as the other versions. That said, I doubt I could convince myself I could do without my FTX NW scenery packages, or Tongass Fjords.

In an attempt for a 'rational' approach, I actually have my aircraft in an .xls format, complete with bar graph, which shows the hours I have in each. I check it out regularly, and will 'put aside' the aircraft I have 40-70 hours in, and begin to concentrate on the ones with only 1-10 hours, just to make sure I have given them some seat time, attempting, if at all possible, to even out my time in each.......then I download or purchase another one, and well, I can never get 'caught up', and wonder why I'm not flying my favorites with 40-70 hours anymore. It's nutty. It's insane. :icon_lol:

robertorizzo
August 9th, 2011, 02:20
"They tried to make me go to rehab but I said 'no, no, no'
Yes I've been black but when I come back you'll know know know
I ain't got the time and if my daddy thinks I'm fine
He's tried to make me go to rehab but I won't go go go." (A. Winehouse)

Thanks God, i'm not the only one that sometimes still thinks is going mad.
Compulsion, always looking for something new, saying to myself "tomorrow i stop it, this is the last one, i'm not downloading anymore."

Then i remember i'm mortal, i feel myself happy when practicing my hobby. Everyone has his weakness, this is mine. Full stop.

I've found a solution, almost kidding to myself, maybe. I make videos of my flightsimming time. Trying to express myself as a painter or an artist would do.
For now it helps.
But do not ask me to go to rehab, I won't go, go ,go.

r.

Roadburner440
August 9th, 2011, 02:56
This is why I stay away from the freeware download portions of sites. It took me forever to stop. :icon_lol: Unfortunately now I have gotten on a bit of a binge with scenery (and begun creating my own, ack!). I found though that have money attached to downloading stuff is the only thing that makes me think twice about it. So my FS install hasn't grown by too much as of late. I am up to somewhere around 90GB though. At some point going to need to get a bigger drive.

fsafranek
August 9th, 2011, 07:42
I've suffered from the same problem all my life with collecting reference materials and plastic model kits. The reference materials have continued to be used over the years though for FS development/repainting projects but the model kits are pretty much just stacked up occupying a big chunk of the garage.

At least with collecting FS aircraft they can all be saved to CD/DVDs and put in a shoe box and then placed on a shelf somewhere. I've even got a bunch of payware aircraft I bought and never installed.

Help, my name is Frank and I'm a flightsim addict and compulsive collector of beautifully packaged ones and zeros. (feel better already)
:ernae:

Naruto-kun
August 11th, 2011, 09:08
For me...i dunno i guess im not so addicted. I only have the aircraft that are used by the various VAs i fly for and then the ones that im coding....And as soon as I get a GOOD payware alternative the freeware one gets dumped....Ill go crazy if I dont have a reason to fly though. I just cant bring myself to aimlessly poke around the sky....I have to DO something.... like take on a challenge flight....or join a Fly-in on VATSIM with one of the VAs....Or rack up mission points at vUSAF....or bug-test a bird im coding....

OBIO
August 11th, 2011, 09:35
Thanks Huub for this thread.....I know it's an older one, but I'm new to FSX (not a permanent resident of the Dark Side, just pass through the neighborhood from time to time). I too am a download junkie. I have 3 FS9 installs packed to the gills with planes, and have 4 DVDs packed with FS9 planes that I don't have installed currently. I can't remember how many CFS2 archive discs I have...but I have something like 1700 planes for CFS2 (some of which are FS2002 and FS2004 planes that I converted for use in CFS2 prior to getting FS9). FSX....may have 12 add ons, maybe 18.....

But thanks to this thread, I now have a freeware Bristol Beaufighter that is downloading as I type and it will get installed in FSX.

OBIO

modelr
August 11th, 2011, 16:25
Just another junkie, joining the support group. :icon_lol::guinness:

4ea 1 TB HDDs of FS stuff. 1 ea for FS9 downloads (461GBs presently) FSX downloads, (179GB presently) 1 for FSX only, (including programs, 184 GB presently) and 1 for FS9, four installs and all programs, (most of which I don't know how to use, but I got 'em, lol. 95.6GB, presently.) These DO NOT include my payware! That is kept on my 1.5TB main drive so it gets backed up automatically to Carbonite. That main folder is 205GB (158GB compressed.)

DarrenL
August 15th, 2011, 05:46
Do you have loading issues having all those aircraft installed, does it take significantly longer to bring up the thumbnail aircraft listing?

flaviossa
August 15th, 2011, 05:56
Yes, long time to load in here (I say, +-6 minutes). But only the first time, the next ones are quick.

DarrenL
August 15th, 2011, 06:43
I did wonder if it was just my system, does FSX load up the aircraft on the fly via the aircraft folder or via a separate cfg file. Just wondering if it's on the fly if moving unused aircraft folders into a holding folder leaving just a few aircraft would speed it up, swapping back and forth with aircraft folders when you want to fly them.

Like many here I collect freeware aircraft try/fly when they are released I keep them installed and come back to them later but we can't fly everything at the same time so wondered if such a swap system would speed it up. Plus of course repaints, I like to use the "all aircraft" option rather than the 1 aircraft of each type on the thumbnail menu.

modelr
August 15th, 2011, 16:40
I did wonder if it was just my system, does FSX load up the aircraft on the fly via the aircraft folder or via a separate cfg file. Just wondering if it's on the fly if moving unused aircraft folders into a holding folder leaving just a few aircraft would speed it up, swapping back and forth with aircraft folders when you want to fly them.

Like many here I collect freeware aircraft try/fly when they are released I keep them installed and come back to them later but we can't fly everything at the same time so wondered if such a swap system would speed it up. Plus of course repaints, I like to use the "all aircraft" option rather than the 1 aircraft of each type on the thumbnail menu.

Yes, swapping them out would speed things up, greatly. However, you would have to defrag constantly.

There is a way of removing them from the list that wouldn't require moving them. Rename or move the airfile. No airfile, it is not looked at.

Murray Cod
August 16th, 2011, 00:07
I can't help buying more Orbx scenery when it is on sale even though I haven't flown much in the areas I already have, and I was luicky to be able to control myself when the Constellation was recently on sale.

sblzei
August 19th, 2011, 08:33
Sorry, I can't reply right now. I am in a hurry to go visiting Flight Sim, and then Simaviation, and then Avsim, and then .... (I must not forget to buy a new storage drive too) :icon_lol:

jhefner
August 19th, 2011, 11:11
For me, the flying is only part of the attraction... I look at it like having my own little virtual aircraft museum, where all the exhibits are flyable... if it catches my fancy, I download it- maybe even attempt a 'restoration' once in awhile... -Mike Z.

Mike summed my habit up. I have a CFS2, FS2002, FS2004 and FSX installation on two computers (the FS2002 is for testing); and 500+ aircraft between them; had something like 700+ aircraft before I lost the hard drives in both. I also have an Excel spreadsheet, there is a tab that lists the planes in each simulator, plus an overall tab. I also have the year each was built

I tend to put the warbirds in CFS2 where they can actually "blow up things and kill people." Some planes I have to fly; others I keep to pose around various airports; in FS2004; I have Bill Lyon's Old Rhinebeck for the 1800s-1910s aircraft, William Shea's Roosevelt Field (with my ACAD file) for 1920s to early 1930s aircraft. CFS2 covers the WWII years; haven't set up a "Silver Wings" airport yet. My hometown airport has a B-23 Dragon like the one my friend and I used to sneak into and just sit in the cockpit and gaze at the controls before it finally left for a home at a museum; and a Texas International DC-9. (Can't find a TTA Convair or a Royal Airlines Skyvan anywhere...) Southwest Airlines' entire fleet of theme planes fly in and out of my Dallas Love Field. (Anotov and Tupelov used to still fly high around the former Soviet Union in my former FS2002 install; but need to be put back.)

So, FS is a time machine, a museum, a virtual vacation (thinks to the 1+ GB of Tileproxy). It is also a showroom, the other day I saw an airplane at the local airport I have never seen before (a Flight Design CTSW.) So, what did I do when I got home? Yep, found one, downloaded it, and then "sat in the cockpit", had a look around, then took it out for a spin....

-James

Astoroth
August 20th, 2011, 00:10
FSINN (online multiplayer software) counts your aircraft for you....counting all repaints, I have 1442 aircraft in FSX, and that's just my active folders.....lol