PDA

View Full Version : O/T Anybody know a good gunshop?

ndicki
October 1st, 2010, 09:31
I'm trying to get a new wooden or ABS plastic foregrip for my Belgian-made FN FAL rifle (much the same weapon as the old British/Aussie/Canadian L1A1 SLR) and failing miserably. The only type I really don't want is the dirty brown fibre version Belgian FNs have! Furniture off any metric FAL should fit, and to be frank, I'd expect even inch-pattern versions would too if asked nicely enough... So does anybody have a gunshop he'd recommend that can do mail order? As far as I know, it is not a restricted part, so it can be ordered internationally.

Pat Pattle
October 1st, 2010, 10:56
Hi Nigel,

If no luck with a shop try these people:

http://www.cobbatoncombat.co.uk/

It's the military museum near Barnstaple, they sell all sorts of militaria and weapons.
Well worth a visit too, and you can buy tea and a pasty from their old Naafi van!

Ron
October 1st, 2010, 11:08
Hi ,
If you can order internationally try www.dsarms.com . they have many parts for FALs . Hope this helps . Ron

ndicki
October 1st, 2010, 11:52
Hi Nigel,

If no luck with a shop try these people:

http://www.cobbatoncombat.co.uk/

It's the military museum near Barnstaple, they sell all sorts of militaria and weapons.
Well worth a visit too, and you can buy tea and a pasty from their old Naafi van!

I know their website, but it's a total dog's breakfast actually trying to find what you want! I think it's one of those places you go to with a well-garnished wallet but no fixed ideas of what you want to get!

ndicki
October 1st, 2010, 11:53
Hi ,
If you can order internationally try www.dsarms.com (http://www.dsarms.com) . they have many parts for FALs . Hope this helps . Ron

Grief, Ron, they have some kit! Almost makes me want to move to America...

norab
October 1st, 2010, 12:45
you could also try here

http://e-sarcoinc.com/

they have tons of stuff, don't blame me if you get addicted :-)

ndicki
October 2nd, 2010, 00:35
I think my wife should be grateful I don't live in the US. She thinks it's bad enough as it is... (These days, most Germans think rifles are evil, horrible things that they'd rather not have anything to do with. Which is not surprising, really...)

hairyspin
October 2nd, 2010, 01:12
I think some of us are relieved there's a lot of Frenchmen between us and you....! :rocket:

HouseHobbit
October 2nd, 2010, 01:33
Nigel, I didn't know you were allowed to have FAL's there.. BRAVO.:applause:

I like FAL's..LOL..
I Like My FN 49 also too..
But again I like all FN's..
Great guns..
Not a military type shooter, a Target shooter, Rem 40x, and several custom build toys here..
I have been raised in a shootist family, third generation..Wouldn't trade this for the world..
As a young Gunsmith back in the 70's I learned the value of European firearms..
Still shoot my mauser actions, and always will..But for my type of shooting I have yet to
out shoot my Remington's...Nothing as much fun as putting 5 rounds through the same hole..
WOW..
I may have to load some ammo and head to the range..

ndicki
October 2nd, 2010, 04:47
Owen, I hang my head in shame at having to tell you that the only time it goes bang is when you drop it. It is like our cat - looks intact but certain vital parts are amiss...
Compared to UK deactivated ones, though, there isn't that much wrong with it - it still strips completely, dry fires, magazine comes out, etc, etc. Just won't load or fire a round - which is rather the problem.

That apart, I've also got a Sterling L2A3 SMG, Lee-Enfield No1 MkIII*, and a Thompson M1928 with forward pistol grip - all British Army weapons. Unfortunately, while they're reasonably good for frightening old grannies (generally by threatening to butt strike them) they are pathetically ill-suited for anything more serious, such as slotting next door's dog, followed rapidly by next-door himself. Pity, really.

I used to be quite decent at potting things actually - I got Company Shot once. Must have been because everybody was still suffering from a particularly extreme party the night before.

Lt. Heinz Becker
October 2nd, 2010, 06:12
I have a Lee-Enfield No.1 Mk.III* Made in 1918 at the Royal Small Arms Factory. Pretty sweet rifle although I have been searching for a stacking swivel and new handguards because the fingers that go around the rear sight are broke. Its fun to get all the little peices and make her complete again. Friggin bayonet is almost as expensive as the rifle. Paid $225 at a pawn shop.

I may not be British, but you guys made a beast of a rifle. 10 round mag, cock on close bolt, and amazing accuracy. I've had Russian Mosin Nagants but nothing comes close to my Enfields. Most fun you can have standing on two feet.:icon_lol:

swpierce
October 2nd, 2010, 07:02
http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=US021FAS
A little fancier than stock.

Here's some more:
http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FALA+ST

ndicki
October 2nd, 2010, 07:33
That fancy one is perhaps a bit too fancy for my taste! What I want is the basic, bog-stock MoD wood or plastic one - just like in the other link... Ideally, I think a wooden one would be nice, because the possibilities are historically wider. Longer period of service, from about 1960 up until the 1980s. The plastic ones were the later production ones; I think I first saw them in the mid-1970s or so. My final issue SLR was a fully reconditioned one with brand-new plastic furniture which I found more practical (and prettier) than the earlier wooden one I'd had. Beautiful rifle - and when I look at the junk they replaced it with... 5.56mm has been getting itself a bad reputation in Afghanistan, as many engagements take place outside the 5.56 "optimal range" envelope - in other words, more than about 300 yds. 300 yards with a decent 7.62 weapon is just nice and close enough to guarantee each round will hit the target...

ndicki
October 2nd, 2010, 07:37
I have a Lee-Enfield No.1 Mk.III* Made in 1918 at the Royal Small Arms Factory. Pretty sweet rifle although I have been searching for a stacking swivel

Not all III* have a piling swivel... Mine has the lug, but not the swivel - having said that, it's a bit more recent than yours - made in 1944. Shocked? You won't be if you know your stuff!

Another one I'd like to have is a US-made No.4 MkI. Had one of those when I was in the Cadets - it had "U.S. PROPERTY" stamped into the receiver. Interesting piece. The method for removing the bolt was different to the British ones, as well. It had a cut-out half way down the course of the bolt where the head of the bolt could be rotated out of its track. British ones had a catch between the sight bridge and the charger guide.

Steven190
October 2nd, 2010, 13:52
Owen, I hang my head in shame at having to tell you that the only time it goes bang is when you drop it. It is like our cat - looks intact but certain vital parts are amiss...
Compared to UK deactivated ones, though, there isn't that much wrong with it - it still strips completely, dry fires, magazine comes out, etc, etc. Just won't load or fire a round - which is rather the problem.

That apart, I've also got a Sterling L2A3 SMG, Lee-Enfield No1 MkIII*, and a Thompson M1928 with forward pistol grip - all British Army weapons. Unfortunately, while they're reasonably good for frightening old grannies (generally by threatening to butt strike them) they are pathetically ill-suited for anything more serious, such as slotting next door's dog, followed rapidly by next-door himself. Pity, really.

I used to be quite decent at potting things actually - I got Company Shot once. Must have been because everybody was still suffering from a particularly extreme party the night before.

It sound like a head spacing issue, there is a procedure to set it, or if you have some extra cash, there is a head spacing gauge avaible.

I have several military guns myself, one being an L1A1 that has only about 40 rounds through it.