PDA

View Full Version : Are we raising a generation of nincompoops

HouseHobbit
September 30th, 2010, 22:52
Tell me what you all think on this one..
my experence has been toward the negative, on this issue..
Lots of badly raised children of late i've gotten to Know..
And I am very sorry to say this..

http://www.daytondailynews.com/lifestyle/technology/has-technology-left-many-young-people-unable-to-perform-many-basic-tasks--954413.html

Piglet
September 30th, 2010, 23:02
Pull-Ups generation. You can pee in your pants and we’ll take care of it for you!”
That says it all!
Maybe one day NOT having a Facebook page will be the new "cool" Then I'll be a trend setter!

Collin
September 30th, 2010, 23:07
Dunno Owen, there's plenty of brats around here who are quick to steal if'n it ain't nailed down good.
There's also quite a few I'd like to see under a double decker bus as well.

regards Collin:ernae:

OBIO
September 30th, 2010, 23:08
Fortunately I know two youngsters who are being raised right...polite, well mannered, self reliant, self assured, and being taught how to do house work, how to do laundry, how to cook. Our new neighbors have 2 boys...10 and 15 years of age. The older boy has been going over to see the land lord every day after school to see if there is anything that needs done...weeds to pull, bushes to trim, sticks to pick up...yesterday evening he and the landlord came over to rebuild a small section of a retaining wall...I jumped in to help out since the landlord is 83 and has horribly bad knees...I taught the boy how to properly build a retaining wall...and this coming spring I will teach him how to build a new patio, reset a section of guard rail with new posts. Good kids who are willing to learn and to work. Rare these days.

OBIO

Lionheart
October 1st, 2010, 00:06
If you do not give them morals, they will not have morals.

If you do not give them accountability, then they will not have accountability.

Alot of todays kids are raised by harsh, loose music and video games. Blow it up, steal it, kill everyone, etc.

I think they are just innondated to the point where they are phased out! Overdose! So much data coming in, be it music, video games, TV garbage, friends at school that are idiots that are showing others how to be idiots (peer pressure). When do they think? When to they meditate? What grounds them to reality?

I shouldnt talk. I do not have a child. Well, I have a puppy.

:d

stiz
October 1st, 2010, 00:42
its not the technology ... its the parents ... young kids dont pick things up straight away .. i rember haveing to be taught how to tie me shoes. I didnt have a phone or anything and just couldnt figure it out till i was shown several hundred times! Also the pull-tab cans must be an american thing, over here the only cans with those are either cat food or tinned tuna!

Also dont give up on kids just yet, just cos the media has found a load of numptys and is fear mongering doesnt mean their all bad. Also i bet at leat 80% of em are like i was .. good as gold in the house and other peoples houses, but let em loose on a bit of empty land and hilairity insues .. depending on your sense of homour of course :jump:

Quixoticish
October 1st, 2010, 00:50
If we are to look anywhere to blame for this situation then it should be levelled squarely at the parents and their own ineptitude.

stansdds
October 1st, 2010, 02:42
I agree, technology is simply a tool, nothing more. It's the parents that are to blame for children not having manners, morals, or common sense.

Rami
October 1st, 2010, 02:58
I agree that it's the parents, not the children....but I also think the article is a bit overblown.

Navy Chief
October 1st, 2010, 03:45
I agree, technology is simply a tool, nothing more. It's the parents that are to blame for children not having manners, morals, or common sense.

I agree with your statement, to be sure. Not long before I retired from the Navy in 1997, it was evident to me that things had changed, drastically. By that, I mean the lack of respect for authority was rampant. The young kids coming into the military were increasingly resistant to direction, and personal responsibility. Simple things like being at work on time was a foreign idea to them. They constantly questioned authority. Yes, the parents are to blame, but society is having to deal with the shortcomings!!! I miss the military, but I don't miss the headaches of trying to correct behavior.

NC

Terry
October 1st, 2010, 04:42
The question we ought to be asking is why the last two generations are screwed up but if we go back three or four generations the parents did a fairly good job of teaching children. Is there a difference in the way brains were formed? Atom bomb testing? Or could it be the so called great society forced on us in the sixties which forced both parents into the workplace leaving the children to roam the streets. Couple that with the ever increasing technology which reduced the need for children to perform any work at home. Now add the schools which are spending way too much time teaching "warm and fuzzy" instead of the skills needed to be productive.

James
October 1st, 2010, 05:08
That is just how it is like in school...I like to think that I'm doing the right thing; I help with the laundry, build the basement, mow the yard. I see this today, and I think, 'Oh crap...I will be WORKING with these idiots soon.'

beana51
October 1st, 2010, 05:41
The first sign of becoming an Ole GEEZER is to criticize the kids of the currant generation...Ever since time began,old GEEZERS,have been comparing themselves to the young,and coming to the conclusion they were better....When in fact they growing up were criticized by their older generation ....it goes on and on....At close to 80 now I have seen a few generations....Some are called the Greatest,and some the worst......Me?? I trust the lads...they today have difficult problems,as surly growing up in the Great deppersion......If ya want to criticize some ,well look around to ourselves!...better yet look in the mirror!.....The kids are Us, our kids,and they are the future....Give Them Example and Leadership,and not criticism!.They will not fail our country,as they have not since the begining!..For instance ,today ,we have fine young people serving our country....The Greatest generation ???...Why its the one your living in now!.Darn Ole Gizzers!!:icon_lol:..Cheers!...Vln

Bjoern
October 1st, 2010, 08:52
Dumb parents -> dumb kids.

Willy
October 1st, 2010, 09:44
My kids hated me growing up. I made them do chores and learn how to do things on their own. Now they thank me. I was raised to be self sufficent and believe every child should be raised to take care of themselves. If they're not then you end up with kids like those in the article.

ndicki
October 1st, 2010, 10:15
If we are to look anywhere to blame for this situation then it should be levelled squarely at the parents and their own ineptitude.

Agreed. It's got bugger-all to do with the technology, by and large. It's got to do with the parents setting the example. And when you look at the majority of obese, thick, ill-mannered, no self-discipline drivelling cretins that live on a good many council estates and elsewhere the world over, you've understood it all. You can't transmit what you don't have...

One (rare) thing I actually respect a great many Yanks for is that they generally DO train their children to show respect. Admittedly I keel over pi**ing myself when I hear a teenager calling his father, "Sir" but it's miles better than what you see so much of here.

Having said that, getting them off the technology and interacting with other similar creatures might be a start. Getting them away from other similar creatures and turning them into human beings would be even better!

TARPSBird
October 1st, 2010, 10:47
Parents need to get their kids involved in the various hands-on tasks that prepare them for coping with day-to-day life. The stuff they don't teach you in grade school, like basic mechanical skills, carpentry, how electricity works, how to cook, etc. This is not gender-specific, ALL kids need to know this stuff. Girls and boys should be able to fix their own bikes.

Stratobat
October 1st, 2010, 18:00
Parents need to get their kids involved in the various hands-on tasks that prepare them for coping with day-to-day life. The stuff they don't teach you in grade school, like basic mechanical skills, carpentry, how electricity works, how to cook, etc.

You've hit the nail on the head there, TARPSBird.

Regards,
Stratobat

Piglet
October 1st, 2010, 19:14
Find a copy of "The Dangerous Book for Boys"
Google for it and watch the video(s)

djscoo
October 1st, 2010, 19:30
My younger brother has this book, it's really awesome. (I read it just as much as him :))

Clarke123
October 2nd, 2010, 02:56
Also the pull-tab cans must be an american thing, over here the only cans with those are either cat food or tinned tuna!
What are you buying mate? No frills, no spills Kwik save tins. :icon_lol: Splash out on some Heinz and put the tin opener away.

stiz
October 2nd, 2010, 03:22
Splash out on some Heinz and put the tin opener away.

at their prices!! no way, gotta live on min wage ere so fancy stuff is out ... and i've got to like most the "shops own" brands :icon_lol: .. all though not the mince in most stores, could build a cracking wall outta the stuff though!

huub vink
October 2nd, 2010, 03:48
Personally I think a large part from my generation thinks too bad about the younger generations. For many years I have trained groups of youngsters from 8 until 19 years old how to play football (or soccer if you like). And I still think the large majority of these kids were well brought-up, nice and polite. The way children behave or react is very much depending how you treat them. When you respect them they will respect you. Try to treat them in a way you would have liked to be treated when you were their age. Like with most things, a lot is depending on how you communicate.

And about their skills? They are young and learn fast and it doesn't need a rocket scientist to put a nail in wood. When you have hit your thumb a few times you will aim more carefully next time.

Cheers,
Huub

Navy Chief
October 2nd, 2010, 04:01
That is just how it is like in school...I like to think that I'm doing the right thing; I help with the laundry, build the basement, mow the yard. I see this today, and I think, 'Oh crap...I will be WORKING with these idiots soon.'

Your attitude is refreshing! I applaud your efforts!

NC

Navy Chief
October 2nd, 2010, 04:02
Parents need to get their kids involved in the various hands-on tasks that prepare them for coping with day-to-day life. The stuff they don't teach you in grade school, like basic mechanical skills, carpentry, how electricity works, how to cook, etc. This is not gender-specific, ALL kids need to know this stuff. Girls and boys should be able to fix their own bikes.

Here here!!!!

NC

Navy Chief
October 2nd, 2010, 04:09

I just ordered a copy of this book for myself!!!

NC

TARPSBird
October 2nd, 2010, 21:44
NC, you're never too old to build a tree house or make your own electro-magnet! :d
I made a great electro-magnet when I was around 10 years old, had fun attracting all my Mom's bobby pins until they all stuck together on their own from residual magnetism, she really appreciated that.

hey_moe
October 3rd, 2010, 03:26
From what I see everyday I feel the biggest problem in kids and teenagers is they are just plain lazy and have no respect for anything or anyone much less themselves.Grand parents are raising their grand kids because their children don't want them any more and don't want the responsibility.Parents also don't give their children any chores or guidance. How many times have you been driving and look out the window and see some kid walking with his pants pulled down showing 3/4 of his a$$. How many times have you been at a stop light and have to listen to a kids bass booming your windows.I know this is just a new wave but look at the amount of kids who have their lips pierced,nose,eyes,nipples,ears,tongue,vagina, not to mention the amount of tattoos all over their body. I know this in a fad, but why do something permanent to your body.Kids have no respect for themselves much less anyone else. You would be surprised how many customers houses I walk into and see either the parents still raising their kids at thirty years old or their grand kids.I also see the kids watching TV and playing video games while their parents or grand parent are out their cutting grass. I have even gone to customers houses and the damn kids are to lazy to stop playing their video game or watching TV to answer the door and started yelling for the parents to answer the door...figure that one. Here is a prime example of a lazy spoiled kid and I can say this because I have one...lol. Linda's son is thirty four years old, quit school in the tenth grade and sat on his a$$ all day until mommy came home so she could take him surfing.She has spoiled him rotten. From the age of sixteen till he was twenty one he went through two cars and one truck. The truck was brand new and he got the bright idea to make it a low rider. So one day he along with some of his friends cut the top of the truck off...to make a long story short, Linda ended up having to pay a junk yard to pick up a one year old truck that he had destroyed.What did she do...go and buy him another one.Her first husband had already threw the towel in and gave up.Right now Patrick is thirty four years old, quit a management job at Farm Fresh to delvers news papers.The area he delvers papers in is over fifty miles from his house and his car gets about six mile to a gallon.By the time he takes out what it cost to do this he makes about 55.00 a week.He spends about 150.00 a week on gas and cigs.Two packs a day 90.00 a week, the rest is spent on gas. His wife of eight years has been telling him if he doesn't get a job they are going to loose everything. He works about four hours a day and the rest of the day plays games on his Sony Play station.She has finally kicked him to the curb and he is freaked out. But still to lazy to get a job.I have been married to Linda for sixteen years and she has already been through over a quarter million after taxes getting him out of trouble, making house payment,insurance payment...ect..ect.He also has another child from his first marriage that he has never paid one penny for support,,,,yeah you know who is taken care of that part. What Linda is dealing with right now comes from how he was raised and never held responsible for his actions and also had no chores. Never had a car payment until he got married. Matter of fact never made a payment on anything until he got married. So right now he is having a hard time understanding that when you borrow money you have to pay it back. Something he has never had to do. He also has a hard time understanding that you have to work to pay YOUR bills.Like I told him a while back, " Patrick, you have never cared for anything or anyone in your entire life"Not all kids are to this extreme but from what I have been seeing out there most are and this is what I feel is wrong with this generation of kids.....now thats just me...Mike

Bushpounder
October 3rd, 2010, 04:18
I think the percentage per capita is probably the same as it has been for every generation. I see some of these college kids out there, and most, a good 80% are going to be great leaders in the future. Even a large percent of non-college graduates are not idiots. As the population grows, so do the amount of idiots. However, I think this generation has as many idiots as those who grew up in the 1850's, the 1940's or the 1960's by percentage. I would say each generation has at least 20% of idiots. No generation was "idiotless"!! I was born in the 50's, and I have met MANY people my age who are very much idiots. I guess what I am saying is it is all relative to the total number. I think what it is too, is that as we get older, we notice stupidity easier! When younger, we just let it go by.

Don

hubbabubba
October 3rd, 2010, 06:06
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

- Socrates (470 – 399 BC)

Nothing changes...:kilroy:

Dain Arns
October 3rd, 2010, 06:27
I think the movie "Idiocracy" sums up our future quite well.
Seriously, yet another "Jackass" movie has been made? In 3D?

smilo
October 3rd, 2010, 07:11
well, this ain't Socrates, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCXr_6wgns

it appears to me that it's the older generation's duty
to bitch about the youngers.
as with everything else,
a few negatives get all the press
and the gross generalizations follow.
thank goodness for the few
who break off the well beaten path
and give us real innovation and creativity.
now, shut up and get back into line