PDA

View Full Version : Bader over the Isle!

peter12213
September 30th, 2010, 11:14
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae166/Peter12213/2010-9-27_22-47-38-194_edited-1.jpg

http://www.rogergeorgeclark.com/USERIMAGES/badher400px.jpg

Legend!!!

AndyE1976
September 30th, 2010, 12:17
Absolutely! Did you see the DVD with Flypast a few months ago - Duxford in the Battle of Britain? Some nice interviews with DB and a few of the other pilots that called Duxford their home.

also interesting to see the opinions of some of the other RAF and WAAF's

peter12213
September 30th, 2010, 12:32
Yeah i saw an interview with a guy that flew with him, he said some rather unusual things about Douglas to be honest like what he used to like boasting about namely his manhood lol which you just wouldn't think of him lol!

calypsos
October 1st, 2010, 03:08
I met DB on two occasions and can confirm he was not a very nice bloke at all. However, these 'qualities' enabled him to achieve what he did, which is remarkable.

I asked him for an autograph (on this occasion I was a 14 year old ATC cadet and was assisting at a B of B airshow in the early 70's) and his comment was a loud 'that bugger Johnson's got there first!!!' refering to another signature (on an RAF recruiting brochure) from another famous ace (and much nicer chap) AVM 'Johnnie' Johnson. He did sign, but then made sure he did not stay to answer any questions, unlike AVM Johnson, who was a real gent.

AndyE1976
October 1st, 2010, 03:53
Most of the interviews I've seen suggest he has a bit of a marmite character, you either loved him or hated him depending on the particular situation or day of the week.

I guess you have to have something of an abrasive character to lose both legs and go against the system to get back in the air to fight again.

guzler
October 1st, 2010, 08:46
It's a shame when an all time hero turns out to be such a pratt ! There were many other individuals who demonstrated strong abilities and leadership who were also gentlemen, so I don't believe his arrogance is what got him there.

Helldiver
October 1st, 2010, 13:08
I would suggest to you gentlemen that his odd behavior can be caused by shyness. He doesn't know how to act when dealing with strangers. It may be contrary to his actions when dealing with a Spitfire but when confronted to something that is totally alien to him he wants to get out.
Neil Armstrong suffered badly from the same thing. Land him on the moon and he's O.K. Ask him for an autograph and away he runs.

calypsos
October 1st, 2010, 13:14
DB was many things, being shy was not one of them however! I think an old fashioned english word, seldom used now fitted him 'Bombastic'!

Please remember rank over confidence in his own abilities caused the crash that lost his legs in the first place!

bazzar
October 1st, 2010, 15:10
Nice shot mate. From what I understand he was a real S.O.B. But then I guess you needed to be to do what he did. His later charity work atoned however.