PDA

View Full Version : whats occuring now???

scruffbag
September 30th, 2010, 06:51
i just opened a downloaded file with notepad,and now all my other downloads are in notepad format(if thats the right expression)if i click on any of them i just get a lot of weird stuff.

PK
]0 J Pearl Harbor Leader Vals/IJN(CV Shokaku)`41 (EI-238) D3A1 VAL -Takahashi-/PK ^0 ‘ ‘ [ Pearl Harbor Leader Vals/IJN(CV Shokaku)`41 (EI-238) D3A1 VAL -Takahashi-/(EI-238)_Info.txtu’n›@†H\*dCzˆ"Цq’VU٪JŽ–XvѲ$qŸ6qsh$„˜fvˆ>/E<|
4apŸ—L3HQKxkk‚ƒ•‘r&M6Dgi’ƒCy–4YH+,V.†,5‹(TִGˆjw? ­žQ;p„j'’š 2:k:€]GhQvR-W.فvd0’8

thats just an example of what i see now.how do i get the downloads back to normal,so i can use them?

flying_spud
September 30th, 2010, 07:02
Osama bin laden?

Goddam it the Taliban are everywhere - even in cyber space............

mariereid
September 30th, 2010, 10:44
Jeez, I hate that! It's happened to me a couple of times. I think what happens is: there is a box in the program you use to open the file that says something like, "always use notepad (or whatever you picked). I did not untick that box, and the same kind of thing happened to me. I could never find a way to fix it. Because of this, I got a download program called "jZip" . It will work with must all of the files you want to download. Sorry this happened to ya, Scruff, but at least one of the boys will tell us how to handle this in the future. Now, I always make sure the "always use the selected....." is unticked. Isn't this fun?:ernae::salute:

Devildog73
September 30th, 2010, 10:53
RIght click on the file and select "Open With" and then pick the proper program to open the file. Then "Save As" the appropriate file type.

scruffbag
September 30th, 2010, 13:36
that works devildog,but how do i turn notepad off?every download since is the same,its in notepad format.

bearcat241
September 30th, 2010, 13:46
Right click the download, go down the menu to Properties, pull up the dialog that will show an "Opens with:" line. Click the 'Change' button right of it and choose your zip program from the programs list to open these types. Then look below the programs list there and tick the box that reads "Always use this program to open these" .

scruffbag
September 30th, 2010, 13:58
i dont get a "change" button.im using windows 7,could that be why?

scruffbag
September 30th, 2010, 13:58
aha,found it.

scruffbag
September 30th, 2010, 14:00
sorted,thanks guys.:applause:

Jagdflieger
September 30th, 2010, 17:23
Bearcat to the rescue again.

We'd be lost without you BC.

bearcat241
September 30th, 2010, 18:15
...We'd be lost without you BC.

Thanks, but i dunno 'bout that, Sarg...this place is an eagle's nest...lots of bright people hangin' here :ernae: