PDA

View Full Version : Plane number limit?

flying_spud
September 30th, 2010, 01:44
A question for all the cfs2 guru's on this site;

1. Does the plkane limit refer to the number of individual plane files (ie. _P-47D-20-RA) in the AIRCRAFT folder. OR:

2. Is it the number of individual planes INCLUDING repaints of the same plane, like on Wolfi's Ki-27 where there are 2 texture folders inside for white and green variants. So would both repaints which appear as seperate planes in the list count as 2 aircraft or 1?

Thanks.

tobob
September 30th, 2010, 03:55

Not a guru but I'm pretty darn sure the repaints count, as they should.

tobob

PJMack
September 30th, 2010, 03:58
A question for all the cfs2 guru's on this site;

1. Does the plkane limit refer to the number of individual plane files (ie. _P-47D-20-RA) in the AIRCRAFT folder. OR:

2. Is it the number of individual planes INCLUDING repaints of the same plane, like on Wolfi's Ki-27 where there are 2 texture folders inside for white and green variants. So would both repaints which appear as seperate planes in the list count as 2 aircraft or 1?

Thanks.

100 planes is the max for all planes including repaints. Sometimes CFS2 doesn't even allow that many. There is a utility which disables chosen planes and therefore allows you to use the aircraft folder beyond the 100 plane limit. Here it is. It also organizes the quick combat folder for you as well.

simonu
September 30th, 2010, 05:06
I have only had trouble with more than 90 or so planes in mission builder, when starts throwing up "can't find" errors.
No trouble playing missions though,

flying_spud
September 30th, 2010, 07:01
Thanks guys. Now I need to count from inside the game and not the AIRCRAFT folder! :stop:

Yep I think 90 is a good stopping point, planes and ships.

PJ thanks for the link to that great little utility, makes life a whole lot easier. I'd already got the one called "CFS2 Improved Quick Combat file" from "C.M.Krashunbern" that sorts out the planes a lot better, but I hadn't found the one you recommend. :salute:

Fibber
September 30th, 2010, 09:16
Look at the end of PJMacks post. He attached the file to it.

flying_spud
September 30th, 2010, 10:14
Look at the end of PJMacks post. He attached the file to it.

??? I know, I downloaded it - that's why I said "thanks for the great utility". :wavey:

braveheart77521
September 30th, 2010, 10:23

Spud

I have been using ACMan for years. It allows me to put my AC in hangers, which is a good organizational tool. It is great for placing certain mission AC in specified hangers. It has a desktop icon that lets you check your AC that are available. I am attaching a copy of this file for you

Braveheart 77521

bearcat241
September 30th, 2010, 10:28
...I have been using ACMan for years. It allows me to put my AC in hangers, which is a good organizational tool. It is great for placing certain mission AC in specified hangers.

Yup...and it gives you an actual count of all installed a/c (including addon skins) in the Aircraft folder, so no need to manually count them nor fire up the sim to do so.

Devildog73
September 30th, 2010, 11:15
I always use only one texture per aircraft and manually build a new plane with new names for repaints because MB doesn't like multi-textured planes.

Ghostrider
September 30th, 2010, 11:50
I always use only one texture per aircraft and manually build a new plane with new names for repaints because MB doesn't like multi-textured planes.

Roger that - I say why have another "skin" if you can't use it in the MB? But some folks just do FF and QC, and they save space on their drive by using "skins". Ain't it great we're all different?

simonu
September 30th, 2010, 16:04
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Devildog73 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=487958#post487958)

Hey Devildog73 and others, you can use multi texture planes in MB
but they must be named in the aircraft.cfg thus

[fltsim.0]
title=plane_name ;same as containing folder
sim=planename ;does not need to be same as folder but must be same as dp
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=

[fltsim.1]
title=plane_name.1
sim=planename2 ;havent tried but I think you can use alternate dps by setting alternate air file
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=1

[fltsim.2]
title=plane_name.2
sim=planename
model=1 ;alternate model and texture set maybe for AI
panel=
sound=
texture=2and so forth

flying_spud
October 1st, 2010, 01:54
Very interesting - acman is a great utility for sure. Thanks Braveheart.

So if I want to get rid of a second (or more) repaint from my aircraft list, eg. I've got the WD D.520 for my 1940 install, but I don't need the Vichy French repaint for it when I'd rather have another new aircraft instead; so can I delete the 2nd texture for Vichy France and then go into the a/c CFG file and remove the 2nd entry? Here's what it looks like now;

[fltsim.0]
title=Dewoitine D.520
sim=D520
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=1
KB_checklists=

[fltsim.1]
title=Dewoitine D.520 Vichy
sim=D520
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Syria
KB_checklists=

Don't need the 2nd D.520 in my 1940 install, how should I proceed?

Thanks.

tobob
October 1st, 2010, 04:07
;[fltsim.1]
sim=D520
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Syria
KB_checklists=

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that's all you need to do. Or You could erase the whole [fltsim.1] section. :salute:

If you have more paints don't forget to renumber always starting with 0, 1, 2...

tobob

bearcat241
October 1st, 2010, 05:47

Unless you have the Vichy already installed in another location as a stand-alone model, this might be the time to create it here first.

Open the D.520 folder and create a new folder inside it named as 'D.520 Vichy' or whatever. Cut and paste the texture.syria folder into the new folder. Then COPY and paste EVERY other item into the new folder, except for texture.1. Open the original aircraft.cfg in the parent folder and delete the entire Vichy section:

[fltsim.1]
sim=D520
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Syria
KB_checklists=

Now its time to go to work in the child folder. Open the aircraft.cfg in it and delete the first header section for the FF 1940 model:

[fltsim.0]
title=Dewoitine D.520
sim=D520
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=1
KB_checklists=

This leaves Vichy alone at the top:

[fltsim.1]
sim=D520
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Syria
KB_checklists=

All you have to do now is change the [fltsim.1] to [fltsim.0] and you're done. You can now move the child folder to its new location in another theater installation or a master hangar folder.

MaskRider
October 1st, 2010, 06:47
This is a great thread! These multi-skinned AC not appearing in QC and MB has been a pesky little barnacle for too long. I have downloaded/installed ACMan and intend to reorganize my AC collection before I do anything else!

MR

flying_spud
October 1st, 2010, 07:31
This is a great thread! These multi-skinned AC not appearing in QC and MB has been a pesky little barnacle for too long. I have downloaded/installed ACMan and intend to reorganize my AC collection before I do anything else!

MR

+1 :jump:

BEARCAT that's brilliant information - I really didn't know that could be done! So I've got an allied D.520 for the BoF 1940 and a D.520 axis for N Africa (Op Torch 1942). Brilliant. I've adjusted its nationality too! One plane morphs into and also changes sides!!

Once again I've notepadded all this vital knowlege into a document I call cfs2Gen.

MaskRider
October 2nd, 2010, 23:58
Spent a few hours today cleaning up my hangar and getting my QC back into working order.

I trimmed all of my multi-skinned AC down to just the one that I like the most- as per the instruction in this thread. I didn't get real complicated- just got rid of texture folders and edited the aircraft.cfg files to match. So, at the moment I have 67 individual AC with maybe 20 more to add- ones that I have recently downloaded but not yet installed.

I haven't got fancy with ACMAN yet. Just used it to count planes and see which folders were still generating more than one AC.

Got all engine sounds that I had not yet stuck into my main engine sound folder put into it and got all ACs properly alias to same. Did the same with all of the panels- and added my "special" NAVAP windows to all those panels that hadn't already got them.

Started a nice fresh QC and got all planes put into it using JSQCEd. Getting Japanese voices from my own planes though for some reason. I thought that swapping in that enhanced qc_plane.qcb file was supposed to fix that problem. But its been so long since I messed with the QC that I don't remember just what all the quirks are and how they are fixed.

Anyhow, after I got all of the tweaking done I went up and had some fun! Dang, its nice to be able to go QCing again against a fighter/bomber mix and not get any unable to load/find ac error messages! Can't wait to do the same with some missions.

A few screenies flying near Rota island: FOKKER DXXI Netherland No214s (thanks Krzysztof Malinowski and Morton!) against a mixed bag of Japanese fighters and bombers. :ernae:

Thanks for all the great information and inspiration on this thread!

Cheers,
MR

flying_spud
October 3rd, 2010, 01:55
Fokker XX1's vs. "Hamps" if I'm not mistaken! Looking at those pics makes you realise just how good this game was graphically - way ahead of its time. Why did they hash it up so in cfs3?

I also spent most of yesterday doing similar; I've got hangers divided nicely up now between Pacific and N W Europe. I'm stubbornly restricting my cfs2 to locations where the scenery is roughly on a par with il-2; coastlines and blended airfields etc. So basically that means Pacific stock and the great stuff by a certain MR :salute: and The fantastic coastline stuff that RAMI sent me for England, France, Belgium and Holland. Added to that the fine airfields by JSH, also adding Germany, a smattering of ships without going bonkers, British and German radio chatter (the French don't really mind speaking English) and the result is one fanatastic game! :jump:

The beauty of Hangers is that you can basically download every plane there is and just park em in their hanger till ya need em! :wiggle:

What I'm doing with my own missions is listing which planes need to be in game - that way I won't make the mistake of starting a mission that involves a plane that is parked in the wrong hanger!!

Been manually editing my QC file too so I can fly either Europe or Pacific in the same install; I've added things like "IJAearly" and LuftwaffeBoB" so I can fly themed QC.

Likewise all repaints given the "big six". cfs2 is neat because each of us can have our own customised install thanks to all these fine mods and great utilities, plus all the expert help available on this friendly and supportive site. :ernae: