PDA

View Full Version : rear gunner??

scruffbag
September 29th, 2010, 13:42
is there a way to man the rear guns on a val or avenger etc,and aim with out the plane flying all over the place??

simonu
September 29th, 2010, 16:45
In short No sorry
You can do that in CFS3

bearcat241
September 29th, 2010, 19:56
If you want to kill a bandit on your six and your gun triggers are setup in the dp to fire forward and rear guns separately, there's a way to do it w/o 'flying all over the place'. CFS2 AI a/c are pretty dumb and therefore highly predictable in the way they approach an airborne target -- they always line up on the six for a shot and they use a very small "kill box" in which to initiate firing. You slip outside of that box and they stop firing to re-plot their aim.

If you get one in hot pursuit and you know you can't outrun it, fly straight and level until its nearly in range of your rear gun. As it gets nearer, begin to porpoise your plane slightly with tight, but smooth forward and back motion on the stick while simultaneously pressing the rear gun trigger -- basically spraying in a tiny vertical pattern that the bandit must fly in to stay on you. You'll either kill it or disable it to the point of breaking off its attack.

I've racked up quite a number of meatballs with this move, flying Dauntlesses, Avengers and Helldivers.

Cody Coyote
September 30th, 2010, 06:32
That's great info bearcat!. I've shot down a couple of Zeros over the years but never figured out just exactly what I did right. Very valuable tip. :salute:

bearcat241
September 30th, 2010, 10:37
Rgr that Cody...the bad news is if they're in range of your guns, you're in range of theirs too. So that's where the porpoising helps. It keeps you just outside -- top or bottom -- of their targeting box so they can't easily lock the perfect picture. Meanwhile they're taking steady fire on the nose from your stingers.

Devildog73
September 30th, 2010, 11:10
If you want to kill a bandit on your six and your gun triggers are setup in the dp to fire forward and rear guns separately, there's a way to do it w/o 'flying all over the place'. CFS2 AI a/c are pretty dumb and therefore highly predictable in the way they approach an airborne target -- they always line up on the six for a shot and they use a very small "kill box" in which to initiate firing. You slip outside of that box and they stop firing to re-plot their aim.

If you get one in hot pursuit and you know you can't outrun it, fly straight and level until its nearly in range of your rear gun. As it gets nearer, begin to porpoise your plane slightly with tight, but smooth forward and back motion on the stick while simultaneously pressing the rear gun trigger -- basically spraying in a tiny vertical pattern that the bandit must fly in to stay on you. You'll either kill it or disable it to the point of breaking off its attack.

I've racked up quite a number of meatballs with this move, flying Dauntlesses, Avengers and Helldivers.

And here I was thinking about converting the dp on the rear gunners to 30mm and 2000 meter range with an aiming cone of 80 degrees!

bearcat241
September 30th, 2010, 12:34
And here I was thinking about converting the dp on the rear gunners to 30mm and 2000 meter range with an aiming cone of 80 degrees!

And rightly you should for the defensive benefit of your AI wingies, DD. They aren't restricted as the player in engaging their rear gun's swivel parameters. And if you and the boyz happen to still be in formation when the bandits show up in the mirror, their 80 degree cone will play a big part in your own defense. They'll be able to take out bandits before they can even line up a target in your group.

alpha_1
September 30th, 2010, 14:05
Bearcat you ol' wizard! Great info.....I'll certainly be giving that a go in the future. Thanks, man!