PDA

View Full Version : End Of An Era part II

Bone
September 29th, 2010, 05:26
For those of you here that have pilot licenses, or if you don't but just like to keep up with ATC phraseology, here's an ATC operational change.

As of September 30th, the phraseology "Position and Hold" will no longer be used in the U.S. when being given clearance to taxi onto the runway. It will now be the ICAO standard of "Line Up and Wait".

Sooo, get in line everybody!

pied
September 29th, 2010, 06:15
As a "Retired" ATCS (Thank Goodness!) I can't help but wonder how many incidents will come out of this change.....

Pilots, more than any group that I can think of, really like consistency and expect to hear certain things from the controllers, just loosing the "HOLD" part of the phrase gives me goosebumps of fear!

pied

I'm glad that no one that I know and love will be flying till several weeks after this goes into effect.

Bjoern
September 29th, 2010, 13:23
"Position and hold" and "Line up and wait" sound like very clear instructions to me. Not much room for misinterpretation.

I wish there were no more deviances from the ICAO phraseology. One could finally use one single set of FSX voicepack mods instead of switching back and forth between FAA and ICAO editions.