PDA

View Full Version : Suspected graphics card malfunction

Cratermaker
September 28th, 2010, 19:03
Ok I have this 8800GT card and a little while ago while playing a game, my computer just freezes and displays a some garbage of the last frame of the game displayed. Upon rebooting, I see lots of garbage characters on the screen. Trying to boot in to windows freezes and the background image gets some funky digitized look to it.

I've safebooted and am currently running 640x480 to post this message, but even now I am getting a bunch of flickering aqua horizontal line segments across the display.

Does it sound like a graphics card issue to you guys too?

I have an e6750 2.66 Ghz on a gigabyte ga-p35-ds3r powered by a 610W power supply. Oh and win 7 64-bit. Any suggestions for a new card to put in this system? Thanks.

Cratermaker
September 29th, 2010, 07:29
Update: I borrowed an card form someone and confirmed my old 8800GT is near kaput.

I am in shopping mode now. Can anyone comment on the GTX 460? Sounds like a good value and a good step up from what I had.

tobob
September 29th, 2010, 19:17
Take a close look at the transistors. Your looking for cracked tops or oozing. I had the same thing happen with a 8600. Probably because the manufacturer used cheap parts and/or :redfire:overheated,which is what happened to mine. Dust collects in the cover where it can't be easily seen or cleaned. It's funny how most aftermarket coolers are open, easy to clean, and cool better. It seems like stock cards are setup to fail...:angryfir:

tobob

stansdds
September 30th, 2010, 01:49
Unfortunately, the cooler Nvidia designed for the 8800 was barely adequate and most drivers for the 8800 did not vary the fan speed to compensate for rising temperatures. The driver ran the fan at a constant 33% of its maximum speed. The end result was a cooked video card.

tobob
September 30th, 2010, 11:16
transistors

Sorry they were capacitors.