PDA

View Full Version : Using the 'Repair' function on FSX Disc 1????

calypsos
September 28th, 2010, 00:31
I have a problem that FSX does not load up for 90% of my airfields, possibly caused by a clumsy un-install of some add-on scenery programmes via the control panel function.

Several members here kindly suggested that rather than a full re-install (my FSX install is over two years old and crammed with add-ons) I try the 'Repair' option, available when you insert FSX Disc 1 in your CD drive.

I was about to do this when I stopped! I have FSX with Acceleration (which includes SP1 and 2 and bought much later on) and the original disc is pre the SP's. Surely I may end up with a non functioning hybrid that will be even more of a problem to un-install later?

Has anyone here tried this 'Repair' method with a similar set up???

Naismith
September 28th, 2010, 02:01
I once tried a repair for some problem or other, cannot say it was anywhere near as bad as your situation, anyway I seem to remember the problem was a non starting FSX, which I later discovered was sorted out by a simple delete of the fsx.cfg. In any case, the repair took a very long time and failed to work anyway for what it's worth.
I know it is daunting but consider a complete reinstall, I am going through the same at the moment after I foolishly allowed a Startforce program on my HD. I had to reformat the C drive to get back in. The result is a slinky smooth FSX with FS Global, ORBX, Ulltimate Terrain, Ult Traffic II, GEX and REX all running with great frame rates. I astonished myself tonight flying the Rockies at how good it is.

Roger
September 28th, 2010, 02:47
I have a problem that FSX does not load up for 90% of my airfields, possibly caused by a clumsy un-install of some add-on scenery programmes via the control panel function.

Several members here kindly suggested that rather than a full re-install (my FSX install is over two years old and crammed with add-ons) I try the 'Repair' option, available when you insert FSX Disc 1 in your CD drive.

I was about to do this when I stopped! I have FSX with Acceleration (which includes SP1 and 2 and bought much later on) and the original disc is pre the SP's. Surely I may end up with a non functioning hybrid that will be even more of a problem to un-install later?

Mine was the same 2 disks bought in Dec 2007 and in my case the repair worked. I can't remember the exact sequence of events and whether the Acceleration disk was required...I just followed the commands.

LCBORDEN
September 28th, 2010, 03:05
My experience is that the repair takes a very long time, it may or may not work, in one instance it wiped out a ton of the .dll files for some reason, and I had to un-install and do a full re-install. a second time it worked fine (I think) although the game seemed to load really slow with low FPS, The last time I did it (yesterday) Hate to say it but Vertigo's new F8F keeps crashing to desktop and I think that disturbed FSX. I ended up doing a complete re-install again...but that was due to the fact I forgot to put SP1 and SP2 back in after the repair..OOOPS.....Although some of the aircraft requires Acceleration to be installed....I have always had a problem with how FSX runs with it on. So I try to go with just the SP1 and 2 and not acceleration. Right now I have all the sliders pushed way right, (game default) I don't know how the game loaded with this being the suggested setting but I'm thrilled... It looks and acts great...FPS 28 So I guess this time repair worked....Good luck, long story short I think you've got a better chance of winning big in Vegas than Microsoft repairing itselt correctly the first time.

Ol'jarhead:wavey:

mal998
September 28th, 2010, 04:12

Try restoring your computer to an earlier date when you know FSX worked correctly. I would do that before trying an FSX repair.

calypsos
September 28th, 2010, 04:58
Thanks guys, or perhaps I just use FS9 which I still have installed! I tried the system restore, but that has not worked for years and did not work this time either. Maybe a full new install will be worth the effort as long as I back up everything on the payware front........maybe next week!

ananda
September 28th, 2010, 05:07
There is a repair option on the Acceleration disk.

Navy Chief
September 28th, 2010, 05:24
There is a repair option on the Acceleration disk.

And I used it yesterday. Worked for me!!!

calypsos
September 28th, 2010, 06:31
I'll give it go, thanks! Although the loading problem is with terrain/auto-gen, do you think I should copy all my payware folders in FSX first?

Roger
September 28th, 2010, 06:44
Good question...I honestly don't know. I know that the repair function created a back-up and in it were default aircraft with the extended .cfgs (for repaints) but I don't recall an issue with scenery although you may have to re-input them into the scenery library.

calypsos
September 28th, 2010, 08:47
It's the aircraft I am worried about! Several (like Sibwings) have complex anti-piracy codes that give trouble with new a HD etc. I also think that Acceleration 'Repair' will not fix 'base' items that come off the original programme.

What a shame there is not a 'Test' function to tell you what is wrong! All those reports still get sent to MS when it crashes and I bet they gave up looking at them as soon as the fired the developers!

calypsos
October 1st, 2010, 07:13
OK, just to wrap this up, today I tried this function (using just the Acceleration disc, as it already overwrote FSX when it installs it the first time) and it works! Although I backed up pretty much everything and un-installed (via the sim menu) all my add-on sceneries, everything remained intact. I just had to manually put back the scenery in the library, via the 'add' button.

The missing autogen trees are now back where they belong too! Thanks for the help guys, and a big pat on the back to MS for making a pretty good feature too!!!

mal998
October 1st, 2010, 07:20
Glad to hear all is well.
As a side note, make sure you have the Restore functions on your computer turned on. It can be a valuable tool when it's running correctly. I can tell you has saved my sim installs several times.

Helldiver
October 2nd, 2010, 10:59
I know you guys wouldn't kid an old man but I've looked throuh the directories of FSX, disks one and two and tried Acceleration disk also with out seeing any repair function. Right now I can hardly run FSX and I've installed it so many times Microsoft sez they want more money. Bill Gates is going with out, the poor SOB. He wants a hunk of my Social Security check.

Helldiver
October 3rd, 2010, 03:24
Can anybody tell me where to find the "Repair Function" on either FSX or Acelleration disks ?

ananda
October 3rd, 2010, 05:06
Just run setup on the Acceleration disk and it will give a repair option.

calypsos
October 3rd, 2010, 07:55
If the sim (FSX vanilla) has been overwritten (as it does on install) by the Acceleration disc, put in the single disc Acceleration and after reading the disc, it should give you two options...Repair or Uninstall.

Without Acceleration, put in disc 1 of FSX for the same options.

I was doubtful, but it came up with the goods on my system, it took about 25 minutes, but did not overwrite any payware add-ons or any settings either.

Helldiver
October 3rd, 2010, 11:06
It worked wonders for me. Thanks a lot Calypso

calypsos
October 3rd, 2010, 13:28
My pleasure, sir!
I think a lot of us should thank whoever did the coding for this function at MS and or Aces.