PDA

View Full Version : Owner of company that makes Segways dies...

OBIO
September 27th, 2010, 13:23
as a result of riding his Segway over a 30 foot cliff into the river below.

Just saw this news clip on Yahoo. No report on how the incident came to happen, but the guy and his Segway were found in the river below the 30 foot cliff...someplace in Britain...Boston Spa or something like that.

And of course, the safety of the Segway instantly came under fire. How unsafe could they be? How often does a person die while riding a Segway? How many of those deaths were due to pilot/rider error or riding while drunk? Not that I know that alcohol was involved in this accident...just saying that people do stupid things when their blood has been thinned with toxic yeast urine (which is what alcohol really is).

OBIO

Ferry_vO
September 27th, 2010, 13:37
How often does a person die while riding a Segway?

Never heard of such a case before; however, riding a Segway over a 30-foot cliff seems to be more dangerous. In fact, riding any vehicle over a cliff can be fatal. Heck, going over that cliff without a vehicle isn't that good for you either!

Bushpounder
September 27th, 2010, 14:21
I wonder if the gyros held it verticle until impact! Will they use two for a hearse? Sorry ....... I actually DO find just a little bit of humor in this one! This is like dieing in a kitchen chair! Should have ------> :running:

Don

Dain Arns
September 27th, 2010, 14:26
The first word that popped in my head when I read this story earlier today...

Ironic.

Odie
September 27th, 2010, 14:26
In the past 2 weeks, I've seen a total of 3 of these in use. One in Libertyville, IL (close to where I live), and 2 on the boardwalk in Virginia Beach, VA.

Up until now, in my travels and day-to-day running around, I've never seen one in use. I remember the big splash when they were introduced, but never actually saw one "for real" until lately.

fsafranek
September 27th, 2010, 14:42
Thought for a moment you meant the inventer, Dean Kamen. He has invented a lot of very cool and useful things to help the world. The man who died was, as you said, an owner (of the company that manufactures them?), Jim Heselden.
Well, lift a glass to Jim. :ernae:

jmig
September 27th, 2010, 17:01
It is sad that he died. I have seen police using them. They seem to work well.