PDA

View Full Version : Found another cool trick with iPhone/iPod Touch

Lionheart
September 27th, 2010, 13:23
Hey all,

I found another cool feature/trick with the iPhone and iPod Touch headphones, (ear buds with the volume clicker on it).

Did you know..... The clicker has 'MANY' functions on the system. You can, for instance, click the 'center' of the clicker and that puts your music on hold. If you are on a phone call, you can hang up with that center clicker. If you get a phone call, you can click the center and it picks up the in-bound phone call, muting your music and turning on phone sound. Your Mic is build into the clicker which should fall about close to where your mouth is on the cord of the earbuds.

This is what I found out today while walking around in the store. I can hold down the clicker and that turns on Voice Control. From Voice Control, you can say 'Play Album Dawnseekers'. You can also say 'Call, Mobile, Bill Spaghetti, and it will appropriately repeat your command and then you hear it dialing the persons phone number. I never knew it could do this from the earbuds clicker.

I thought I would pass it along...

<-- back to work in the virtual Gmax corporation salt mines...

jmig
September 27th, 2010, 17:03
If we ever open an "Apple" thread, I know who I will recommend as the Mod.

Lionheart
September 27th, 2010, 18:37
lol...

Reminds me of the commercial, you can hear a pin drop.. Total silence.

<-- continues learning about his iPhone

Another thing I found massively useful on this thing was the 'Maps' App. I needed auto parts. I click on the arrow to find my location, then enter Checker Auto Parts, Search, and all the neighborhood stores pop up. I click on one and it goes to the website list, phone number, and address. I can then click on 'Directions to' and 'Directions from'. I could also click on the phone number and the darn thing auto-dials them right up. In 5 min's, I had called all the car parts shops around me and knew how much the part was, in stock availability, etc... That quick.

Glad I got it.

Mind you, this is the 3Gs, not the 'auto-hangup' 4G model.

n4gix
September 28th, 2010, 06:46
Oh...

I thought you were going to announce that you'd finally discovered that you can actually make a phone call with the iPhone... :bump:

mleegard
September 28th, 2010, 07:47
Oh...

I thought you were going to announce that you'd finally discovered that you can actually make a phone call with the iPhone... :bump:
That was a good one....

:applause:

Lionheart
September 28th, 2010, 08:49
ahhhh... you so funny!

hah hah...

.....it does that?

Wing_Z
September 28th, 2010, 11:50
I also love discovering the depth of Apple's product development, in new and surprising ways.

There is apparently a downside to being plugged in too deep, however:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10676831

Legislation is sure to follow...

AckAck
September 28th, 2010, 18:04
People have been getting killed that way since Sony came out with the Walkman. Probably when they were carrying around 50lb stereo systems on their shoulders too. (At least with a boom box, it could block your vision too.)

Brian

Lionheart
September 28th, 2010, 21:23
Sounds like that truck was going to get her weather she was listening to music or just humming a song. Thats tragic. 15 miles it drug her body. Thats about 20 to 30 min's driving time...

Willy
September 28th, 2010, 21:34
I think they meant 15 meters.