PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad this wasn't me!

Bone
September 26th, 2010, 12:57
One of my company planes pulled a slider at JFK last night. I've flown this particular plane many times, and I know the crew that was flying it. The right main landing gear wouldn't extend. I'm glad everything turned out injury free, and I'm even more glad it didn't happen to me. There's some video taken by one of the passengers at the end.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/26/2010-09-26_64_souls_and_3000_gallons_of_fuel_head_for_runw ay_31.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/09/25/2010-09-25_delta_plane_with_shoddy_landing_gear_makes_emer gency_landing_at_jfk_airport_no_o.html

jmig
September 26th, 2010, 13:11
Congratulations to the crew for a job well done. You are right Bone, no pilot wants to be there.

I once had an unsafe gear indication and had to land not knowing if the gear was down and locked or just down. Thankfully it was down and locked. I was alone in the plane. To have 64 people on board.... Yikes!

luckydog
September 26th, 2010, 14:13
:applause::applause::applause:

Wing_Z
September 26th, 2010, 14:19
lol

"It was better than the Hudson," the pilot said

PRB
September 26th, 2010, 14:24
I'm going to guess that after an incident like that, in which the emergency was handled properly, and no injuries or loss of life occurred, that the flight crew would feel justifiably proud of themselves at some point after the event. We're all human, after all (well ok, maybe not pilots, hehe) and we hope we will perform well under situations we have yet to face. Having faced inflight emergencies can only make you a better pilot, right? There have certainly been enough documented cases of airplanes crashing due to bad decisions by the flight crew after an initial emergency occurred. Everything else being equal, I would choose, if I could, to ride in the back of a plane with a flight crew that had faced such situations and won, over those who had yet to be tested...

Panther_99FS
September 26th, 2010, 15:11
Congratulations to the crew for a job well done. You are right Bone, no pilot wants to be there.

I concur!

n4gix
September 26th, 2010, 15:30
How ironic! Just as I began reading this post, the even was being reported on CNN...

I'm glad I didn't have to listen to that FA yelling like that though, that was truly frightening!

gigabyte
September 26th, 2010, 16:49
I'm going to guess that after an incident like that, in which the emergency was handled properly, and no injuries or loss of life occurred, that the flight crew would feel justifiably proud of themselves at some point after the event. We're all human, after all (well ok, maybe not pilots, hehe) and we hope we will perform well under situations we have yet to face. Having faced inflight emergencies can only make you a better pilot, right? There have certainly been enough documented cases of airplanes crashing due to bad decisions by the flight crew after an initial emergency occurred. Everything else being equal, I would choose, if I could, to ride in the back of a plane with a flight crew that had faced such situations and won, over those who had yet to be tested...

I agree 100% we all want to believe we will act and perform in a specific way when we are under pressure, and Pilots of airliners are well trained on what to do, but all the training is only one small part of the outcome. No pilot wants to face something like this, but one who has and performed as well as these aviators did are the rare ones and I know I would always feel safer knowing the pilot has faced and successfully performed an emergency procedure. As a matter of fact I have flown with a private pilot who managed a pretty amazing emergency landing (my cousin actually), he was in the right seat when the aircraft ran out of fuel, the pilot had badly miscalculated the amount of fuel required and when the engine died at 3000 AGL he paniced. Brian who had somewhat more experience took control and made a controlled deadstick landing in a backyard, barely making shore by some 40'. All things considered he did very well, the crash investigator commended him for his handling of the situation and I couldn't agree more. I have flown with him several times since and when my wife said she thought I was nuts I reminded her he knows how to crash and walk away, not many pilots can say that.

I know pilots are "cocky" by nature but they have every right to be and when a crew can do something like that landing (or the one in the Hudson as another example) it only proves to this old fart they are exceptional people. Heck I can't even find an airport like JFK in FSX without using the map view and slew keys...lol

TARPSBird
September 26th, 2010, 19:52
I'm glad I didn't have to listen to that FA yelling like that though, that was truly frightening!
No kidding, what an annoying voice. At first I thought it was an automated warning for crash landing. But anyway, hats off to the flight crew for getting the bird down safely.

Bone
September 27th, 2010, 04:01
No kidding, what an annoying voice.

lol. They're supposed to be annoying.

GT182
September 27th, 2010, 13:08
Congrats to the crew. Great landing, especially with 3000 gallons of fuel remaining and no fire. :salute:

They'll fix the gear and wing, and then she'll be back in the air soon.

Bone
September 27th, 2010, 15:02
Congrats to the crew. Great landing, especially with 3000 gallons of fuel remaining and no fire. :salute:

They'll fix the gear and wing, and then she'll be back in the air soon.

It was actually 3000 pounds.