PDA

View Full Version : Like something out of FSX using FSX ATC

centuryseries
September 26th, 2010, 05:40
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7406041.stm

C'mon we've all been there in FSX...... :jump:

Brian_Gladden
September 26th, 2010, 06:15
Shows just how rugged Stinson 108's are....

stansdds
September 26th, 2010, 09:10
I've had several occasions if FSX where I was given instructions to land, following something slow like a Cessna 172. Only problem was I was piloting a much faster aircraft. Sometimes FSX would tell the slower traffic to go around, sometimes I got told to go around. I've yet to crash into another aircraft, but then again, today isn't over.

jmig
September 26th, 2010, 12:49
That must have been an uncontrolled airport? Was the Piper pilot calling positions on the unicomm?

Tom Clayton
September 26th, 2010, 15:26
That must have been an uncontrolled airport? Was the Piper pilot calling positions on the unicomm?
Controlled. The reporter Mentioned Roanoke TX, so I did some digging.

http://www.allianceairport.com/

BPbobafett1982
September 26th, 2010, 18:57
I remember hearing about this incident a few years ago. I don't recall what the outcome of the investigation was.

jmig
September 27th, 2010, 03:36
Here is the NTSB Report (52F - Roanoke Northwest is a towerless airport)

<center>NTSB Identification: DFW08LA144A
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, May 15, 2008 in Roanoke, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 1/29/2009
Aircraft: STINSON 108-3, registration: N6805M
Injuries: 3 Uninjured.</center>While landing, a low-wing airplane collided with a departing high-wing airplane. The high-wing airplane was on the takeoff roll and the low-wing airplane was in the landing flare when the collision occurred. Both airplanes came to rest upright on the runway with the low-wing airplane on top of the high-wing airplane.

All three pilots were able to exit unassisted. The high-wing airplane was departing for a local flight and the low-wing airplane was on an instructional flight. The pilot of each airplane reported that they had transmitted their position/intentions on the common traffic control frequency (CTAF). In addition, the pilots reported not seeing the other airplane before the collision occurred. The runway's threshold was displaced 320-feet due to trees, which were approximately 50-feet tall, located just south and along the approach path. The pilot of each airplane reported that the trees contributing to the accident.

According to 14 CFR 91.113, Right-of-way rules: Except water operations, "Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach."

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The departing pilot's inadequate visual lookout resulting in his airplane colliding with the landing airplane. Contributing to the accident was the trees/visual obstructions along the runway's approach path.