PDA

View Full Version : 'I Actually Remember This Horse From My Childhood'

Panther_99FS
September 25th, 2010, 18:44
http://www.secretariat.com/DisneyFilmNews.htm

Willy
September 25th, 2010, 19:36
Vickie and I have already decided that we're going to go see it.

But there's one racing now that would have give him a run for his money.

EasyEd
September 25th, 2010, 19:51
Hey All,

Big Red was the greatest thoroughbred of all time! Bar none. Man o war was second.

It is good to see some of the great animal athletes recognized - I'll mention a few names that'll mean nothing here but here are the names anyway - Midnight, Five Minutes to Midnight, Scamper, Peanuts, Bodacious and the great Red Rock. A salute to them and several more whose names are escaping me now.

-Ed-

Dain Arns
September 25th, 2010, 19:52
"The Big Red" was an awesome beast. :salute:

My Mama made me watch all the races for the triple crown that year.
She had seen Man O' War.
She knew the red horse was something special.
That 31 length lead in the final stretch at Belmont was immortal.

Willy
September 25th, 2010, 20:59
Easy Ed, here's a horse to watch. She's got two more races before she retires at the end of this season. If she wins them, she'll be a perfect 20 wins, no losses. Her last race will be this year's Breeders Cup where she'll be defending her last year's title against the colts again.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/thoroughbred/zenyatta/2004

And she's expected to win.

EasyEd
September 25th, 2010, 21:24
Hey All,

Willie that will be an impressive record no doubt if Zenyatta does it! Would it make her the equivalent of Big Red - I doubt it.

Here is one for you. In the picture linked is 15 year-old Charmayne James on the QH gelding Scamper in a barrel racing go-round at the 1985 National Finals Rodeo. She won that go-round with a time of 14:40. Look at that picture and tell me what jumps out (or should) at you. Charmayne won over a $1,000,000 and 11 world championships in barrel racing on Scamper - a horse that cost her $1000. Scamper was a true champion horse who knew his job.

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/images/no-bridle.jpg

-Ed-

Willy
September 25th, 2010, 22:50
To be honest, I don't pay that much attention to barrel racing. I only started paying attention to Zenyatta after she won her second Breeder's Cup race and out ran both the Kentucky Derby and Belmont winners doing it.

Most of my horse doings is just riding my thoroughbred/quarter horse cross mare around the area here. She's not fast, but she's smooth and steady. And at my age that's a pretty good thing in a horse.

EasyEd
September 26th, 2010, 07:45
Hey All,

I don't follow women's barrel racing that closely either although the girls are hot! But when you see one girl win the world championship 11 years in a row on the same horse you know your seeing something special. As good as Big Red was and I believe he was the greatest I don't think he could have won the Kentucky Derby 11 years in a row.

A little followup on Scamper. Of course there was a lot of interest in Scamper's genetics. But as a gelding ("fixed" for those who don't know) he couldn't breed so Charmayne had Scamper cloned and the new "Scamper" named Clayton was born in 2006 and still stands at stud. As a clone Clayton can't be registered by the Quarter Horse (QH) association and so his offspring can't either but that doesn't matter to those looking for a fast barrel horse.

The linked image is Scamper, Clayton and Charmayne.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/pictures/files/1/0/3/1/ClaytonScamperCharmaine.jpg

-Ed-

PS Willie look where the bridle is (it broke) and there is no hackamore. Charmayne won that go-round helping guide the horse with her knees and because scamper knew his job and where to go. Would you be comfortable at a full gallop on your horse with no bridle or hackamore?

Willy
September 26th, 2010, 11:56
I've seen videos of barrel horses running the pattern with no rider on their back. One that really knows his job knows exactly where to go. I've also seen one of a kid about five that his parents strapped him in the saddle with bungee cords and the horse ran the pattern. Not safe at all, but it was done.

My daughter will ride my wife's paint gelding around bareback with no bridle or hackamore, but she's not racing on him either. He already neck reined very well when we got him, so it wasn't much more of a step to ride him without bridle or hackamore. Most of the time, he's ridden with a hackamore though. I've rode my mare with a hackamore for a several months, but prefer a regular bit and she seems to as well (she got a bit argumentative with the hackamore). Heck, I won't even get on one bareback. I'm old enough that I don't bounce well if I hit the ground. As for a full gallop? I've been there, but prefer a nice smooth walk. I rarely get in a hurry about anything when I'm riding.

Eta: That clone is pretty interesting and I'm wondering how he'll work out on the barrels. I sold a palomino weanling last winter (out of my mare) that was a fast lil bugger. The young lady that has him now is planning on seeing how he does barrel racing in a few years.

jmig
September 26th, 2010, 12:45
A lot of the move was filmed here in Lafayette at the old race track. I guess I will have to go see it, too. I know a couple of the extras. :)