PDA

View Full Version : 2 fsx installs?

Daveroo
September 25th, 2010, 14:32
can you have two FSX's on your same hard drive? i mean on one?...id like to have one for just single engined planes and one for twins...without having to have two puters....what say ye?

peter12213
September 25th, 2010, 14:35
No idea but I'd like to know myself, memory wise it would need a lot but I'm sue there will be a way!

Navy Chief
September 25th, 2010, 14:36
can you have two FSX's on your same hard drive? i mean on one?...id like to have one for just single engined planes and one for twins...without having to have two puters....what say ye?

Don't know if that is possible, but it would confuse the h..... outa me. And I don't need much to do that!!

NC

Meshman
September 25th, 2010, 15:20
Er, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

A lot can be accomplished through different CFG files and using batch files to start FSX. But there *should* be an objective, even if I can't tell what it is...:monkies:

Daveroo
September 25th, 2010, 17:36
well it accually has to do with how i want to set up my controllers...when i had 2004 and fsx both on my hard drive....i had a controler set up for single engine planes where i just used my rudder peddles and yoke and then on fsx i had my 4 engined set up with yoke/peddles and 2 throttle quads...with all the levers....but ive removed all my 4 engined airplanes.i have only twins and i was thinking of removing the singles..but i like my beavers ( no comments please) and the 206,208B ect....so i dont want to remove them..but i dont want to change my settings each time i run the flight sim (ive removed 2004 FS9)
maybe im not thinkin right...but who knows...ive said it before and ill say it again..im a bit of an idiot....maybe i hit the wall to many times racing huh??or could it be the norco three times a day???:isadizzy:

Meshman
September 25th, 2010, 20:03
I would guess it's how handy you are writing batch files, renaming files and setting icons on the desktop?

All control settings are kept in a particular file, Standard.xml. In XP it's found here;

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

Set things up the way you want for a particular type of flying, single, twin, B-52? Everything gets set and saved. Make a copy of the file, such as Standard.xml.single. Go back in to FSX change things how you want the next type of flight to be. Everything gets set and saved. Make a copy of the file, such as Standard.xml.twins.

Set up a batch file to rename whichever file needs to be renamed for the type of flying, then starts FSX. When FSX exits, the batch file renames the Standard.xml file back to Standard.xml.___

Set up two (or more) new icons for FSX, then edit the icon properties to call the batch file instead of FSX.exe.

Not a really difficult task, unless you have never done a batch file or edited icon properties. But it's not like things could get totally FUBAR'd. :bump:

Always remember to make a copy of the original file, just in case!

peter12213
September 25th, 2010, 20:08
It's not possable just tried to and it's not worth it, even trying 2 comps like a laptop pluged into ya main pc , it would work with a HUB like in an office if you can afford one with the graphics capability but partitioning your pc even quadcore isn't worth the effort as I said it can done but 2 fsx's means 2 windows 2 logins and twice as much hassle = IMO not worth it bud!

dharris
September 26th, 2010, 06:47
I have two copies of fsx on two different drives. Originally one on the winxp drive and one on win7 64. I have a link to the one on the xp drive and it works fine. The only thing is that it will read the cfg file on the boot drive for win 7. But if the scenery file is the same I have no problem with it. I sometimes still use the xp drive install for adding scenery or testing.