PDA

View Full Version : new Nvidia driver 178.13 WHQL

heywooood
September 30th, 2008, 17:07
New release - has anyone tried it?

Tako_Kichi
September 30th, 2008, 18:02
I got them shortly after they came out. I have not noticed a great difference good or bad but must admit my FSX time has been spent testing repaints recently rather than actual flying.

I guess I will know better once I can get the time to just sit and fly. :icon_lol:

AJR
September 30th, 2008, 18:11
I think this is like waiting to see who's gonna jump in the cold dark water first... :kilroy:

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
September 30th, 2008, 18:22
Went better than most , didnt need to reset anything after and nothing ran worse .

deimos256
September 30th, 2008, 18:23
I havent updated my drivers in months at best, everything runs smooth why fix it if it aint broke

Tako_Kichi
September 30th, 2008, 19:23
why fix it if it aint broke
Well, because sometimes updated drivers can bring big dividends either by fixing bugs or improving performance. Several times I have had huge increases in performance after updating drivers which I would never have seen if I had stayed with the old drivers.

DX9c is a classic example and while I don't want to sidetrack this thread it is VERY important to keep your DX9c up to date to get the best performance out of your system. Unfortunately MS steadfastly refuses to increment the suffix letter with each update which causes all sorts of confusion as people think they have the latest version when they could in fact be many updates behind the ball. DX9c is updated every two months or so and the last update came out in August 08.

An easy way to check your DX9c version is to go to 'Start/Run' and type in 'dxdiag' and hit 'Enter'. At the bottom of the first tab it gives you your DX9c version and if it says '4.09.0000.0904' you have the latest version, if not it's time to update.

heywooood
September 30th, 2008, 19:25
I think this is like waiting to see who's gonna jump in the cold dark water first... :kilroy:

heheh exactly...some of my driver updates have gone well and others have not - I'm to the point now that if it aint broke, the possibility of one or two more FPS just isn't enough incentive...:kilroy::kilroy:

AJR
September 30th, 2008, 21:47
Well here's what it does for fsx for those that haven't looked. Some of it may be relevant to some users.

• GeForce 9800 GTX: Flight Simulator Acceleration (DirectX 10) ‐ the sky box does not
render correctly when zoomed all the way out. [436158]
• GeForce 9800 GTX: Flight Simulator Acceleration (DirectX 10) ‐ there is no
antialiasing preview window. [436156]

GeForce 8800 GTX: Flight Simulator–the terrain changes to low resolution when
switching from Air Traffic‐controlled to player‐controlled airplane.[304840]

[SLI], GeForce 7900:Microsoft Flight simulator X – corruption and flickering occur
while flying close to land objects. [293882]

GeForce 7950 GX2: Flight SimX – water has artifacts. [292168]

Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with v178.13 WHQL versus v175.19 WHQL driver:

Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10

Cheers

rhysa
September 30th, 2008, 22:27
Unfortunately MS steadfastly refuses to increment the suffix letter with each update which causes all sorts of confusion as people think they have the latest version when they could in fact be many updates behind the ball.

I've sent numerous emails to people explaining that DirectX 9 has been updated many times since the original 9c, its extremely frustrating that its not more obvious to end users.

RCAF_Gunner
October 1st, 2008, 18:06
I have the BFG 8800GT card and I'm running Vista.

I updated my DirectX to the August 2008 release and also updated my nVidia drivers to the 178.13 and now FSX Accel is exhibiting flashing white ground textures. I've never had that before although I did get a small amount of sky flashing from earlier drivers. I shouldn't have done both at once :banghead: because now it's not clear if its DX or the new drivers but regardless I'm not happy with the result. So, for others considering the updates please keep in mind your mileage may vary. Hopefully a roll back of the nVidia drivers will cure the problem.

<hr>

Update: Going back to the 175.19 drivers got rid of the flashing with ground textures. Phew!

David_L6
October 2nd, 2008, 12:25
I have this driver. Can't say that it works any better than the one I was using (don't remember which one now), but I haven't noticed any problems with it either. It's a keeper.