PDA

View Full Version : A10 soon?

Daveroo
September 24th, 2010, 08:31
i know "soon" is a bad bad bad word here...but did i see someone say somewhere that an A10 was due soon? i think i saw this weekend?...am i all wet? hopefull thinking?...

GrinningJester
September 24th, 2010, 08:34
Release coming this weekend!

Stay tuned. This one is coming from IRIS. :)

http://www.dackard-3d.com/A10SS1.jpg

http://www.dackard-3d.com/A10SS2.jpg

Kiwikat
September 24th, 2010, 08:42
Looking great! :jump:

Dag
September 24th, 2010, 09:41
Looking fwd to it :-) What's that heavy shading on the upper external fuel tanks all about ?

Thanks

Rattler
September 24th, 2010, 10:12
Glad to Hear it, How much is this Gal gona be? :salute::salute::salute:

P.S. Great Pictures!!!

GrinningJester
September 24th, 2010, 12:23
Looking fwd to it :-) What's that heavy shading on the upper external fuel tanks all about ?

Thanks

Hey Dag-

That is simply a baking error that has been fixed :)

trevytt2004
September 24th, 2010, 12:39
Hey Dag-

That is simply a baking error that has been fixed :)

Little to much flour used or was is the gelatine.....have that trouble all the time.:wavey:

Dag
September 24th, 2010, 20:11
Little to much flour used or was is the gelatine.....have that trouble all the time.:wavey:

LOL, okay ... looked a bit odd :-) This is a must have for me, I miss it from FSX.

Thanks

strykerpsg
September 27th, 2010, 17:15
Release coming this weekend!

Stay tuned. This one is coming from IRIS. :)

http://www.dackard-3d.com/A10SS1.jpg

http://www.dackard-3d.com/A10SS2.jpg

It's Monday and no word on either the Iris website or here...........updates anyone?

Matt

kcgb
September 27th, 2010, 17:25
http://www.irisfss.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=240

peter12213
September 27th, 2010, 19:33
Can't wait for this one either!

skyhawka4m
September 27th, 2010, 19:43
Agreed! She's gonna be awesome for sure.

Kiwikat
September 28th, 2010, 08:59
Are we there yet? :173go1:

Smudge
September 28th, 2010, 10:34
Close Kiwi... I'm doing an all nighter to finish her off.. :)

ryanbatc
September 28th, 2010, 10:39
Was that night vision I saw in the forum preview shots?

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2010, 10:43
Yes and the night vision will work.....really looking forward to this plane now. :salute:

SADT
September 28th, 2010, 15:39
Definitely pulling out the plastic for this one! :jump:

Kiwikat
September 28th, 2010, 16:21
Definitely pulling out the plastic for this one! :jump:

Not before I!

Are we there yet? :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
September 29th, 2010, 12:53
This thread needs a BUMP! :naturesm:

I can't tell if it is going to come out tonight or not based on what their Facebook page says. It would be nice to come home from my night class in a few hours or so and see it in stores for download... :wavey:

Smudge
September 29th, 2010, 14:10
I needed sleeeep.. :)

Doing a full week with 3am finishes and 8am starts ain't good for the mental...wassisname.. ;)

I didn't even get to watch spartacus with my wife last night..lol... crashed out before midnight lol.

Still, I'm awake and raring to go today..coffee in hand and manual to be finished... Now to beat my October 1st deadline...(yes that's October 1st in Australia, not elsewhere..lol)

Kiwikat
September 29th, 2010, 16:42
So which store's server do I need to overload with excessive F5 mashings? Simmarket or Flightsimstore? Which one will have the files first? :jump:

Rattler
September 29th, 2010, 16:49
So How Much for this gal Gents?

Kiwikat
September 30th, 2010, 00:20
So we can't remove the pilot's legs?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWaLxFIVX1s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:crybaby:

Smudge
September 30th, 2010, 04:25
LOL @ KIWICAT!

Okay, I've still got time to make a switch or button remove the pilots legs! ;)

skyhawka4m
September 30th, 2010, 04:49
NO!!!!!!

No more changes!!!! :icon_lol:

I like it the way it is!!!! :salute:

Smudge
September 30th, 2010, 04:57
lol... ever the eager beaver.. :D

Akatsuki
September 30th, 2010, 06:44

Yes please add a switch/button.

Smudge
September 30th, 2010, 07:09
ALready done... they're on by default, but a press of a button hides them..nice and simple.. :)

JAllen
September 30th, 2010, 07:10
Is there something on the floor to see that makes pilot legs are so objectionable? Funny how there is always something with every new release. LOL

Bring this Warthog out so we can all play! I have sorely missed the A10. Had the pleasure of doing a part of acceptance inspections on factory fresh A-10A's back in '77-'78. Still remember the smell of a brand new warbird in the morning!!! LOL

Jim

Smudge
September 30th, 2010, 07:14
I have to say that I've gotten so used to having 'someone' in the cockpit, it feels decidedly empty without the legs.. :D

Kiwikat
September 30th, 2010, 07:46

AWESOME.

I know it might sound minor to some people, but that would have been a deal breaker for me. For some reason I just can't stand having body parts inside of my cockpits...

Thanks a ton! :salute: :applause::applause::applause:

Akatsuki
September 30th, 2010, 08:17
AWESOME.

I know it might sound minor to some people, but that would have been a deal breaker for me. For some reason I just can't stand having body parts inside of my cockpits...

Thanks a ton! :salute: :applause::applause::applause:

Same here.
And thank you David for adding the switch!:salute:

Kiwikat
September 30th, 2010, 11:07
We still lookin at a release sometime tonight (US time)? :wavey:

SADT
September 30th, 2010, 13:55
Well, its 10.54AM NZ time here (Dunedin), so its about 9AM there (in Oz) so I would wait a few hours if its coming today. :jump:

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 06:52
....get that manual done, please! REALLY looking forward to this title...

Kent

trevytt2004
October 1st, 2010, 06:54
....get that manual done, please! REALLY looking forward to this title...

Kent
IRIS Flight Simulation Software (http://www.facebook.com/irissimulations) Done...it's done...woooo... anything else wrong with it will need a patch! lol

<input name="charset_test" value="€,´,€,´,水,Д,Є" type="hidden"><input name="fb_dtsg" value="Uzft8" autocomplete="off" type="hidden"><input id="feedback_params" name="feedback_params" value="{&quot;actor&quot;:&quot;56985552415&quot;,&quot;target_fbid&quot;:&quot;147880635253 668&quot;,&quot;target_profile_id&quot;:&quot;56985552415&quot;,&quot;type_id&quot;:&quot; 22&quot;,&quot;source&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;assoc_obj_id&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;source_app_id&quot; :&quot;0&quot;,&quot;extra_story_params&quot;:[],&quot;check_hash&quot;:&quot;5fac0f813ab7b3dc&quot;}" autocomplete="off" type="hidden"><input id="post_form_id" name="post_form_id" value="f24da9be86dfb10dc8ddfc19e4bf7fd1" autocomplete="off" type="hidden"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/irissimulations?v=wall&story_fbid=147880635253668&ref=mf" id="" title="" target="" onclick="" style=""><abbr title="Friday, October 1, 2010 at 4:51am" data-date="Fri, 01 Oct 2010 01:51:26 -0700" class="timestamp">6 hours ago</abbr>

just waiting now for the download location to be put up by Iris

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 08:36
Woot, looks like 15 more mins for the file to upload! :jump:

I wonder what the price is going to be?

trevytt2004
October 1st, 2010, 08:47
Woot, looks like 15 more mins for the file to upload! :jump:

I wonder what the price is going to be?

I think thats the question alot of people are wanting to know the answer to.
In the past, the top end products have been in the region of $50AUD. Whether it will be the same only time will tell.
David did make mention on facebook the following:

'our product range for top end products has been 49.99 AUD for a few years now, however given the fact that the US dollar is now almost on a par with the Aussie dollar, we have to decide to either keep the established loca...l pricing or drop our local price to compensate for the poorer US dollar exchange rate in order to keep pricing within the reach of the US customers who make up the majority demographic...'

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 08:49
'our product range for top end products has been 49.99 AUD for a few years now, however given the fact that the US dollar is now almost on a par with the Aussie dollar, we have to decide to either keep the established loca...l pricing or drop our local price to compensate for the poorer US dollar exchange rate in order to keep pricing within the reach of the US customers who make up the majority demographic...'

Yeah 50 USD is a bit steep unless all of the systems are modeled, something along the lines of VRS...

You can get their 50 AUD stuff for about 41-42 USD on simmarket though. (without VAT) Just a thought. Not sure where it's going to be available for purchase first...

Lenny
October 1st, 2010, 10:01
Just had an look at the Facebook page of IRIS, Latest message saying : Uploading to the Server... 132Mb exe file.. :) 30 mins remaining

So it's coming....

warchild
October 1st, 2010, 10:22
Let me know how she flies. ok?? :)
Pam

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 11:06
....NOTHING yet...about to wear out the F5 key....

Kent

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 11:08
....NOTHING yet...about to wear out the F5 key....

Kent

Haha me too, though I took a break to create a squadron logo for her... :jump:

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 11:30
Anyone up for some gamespy formation(-ish) flying after release? :wavey:

(assuming it comes this afternoon/evening... according to FB it finished uploading a long time ago)

EDIT: Looks like their homepage is down... updating it perhaps?

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 11:48
...it's up-- but no A-10 is listed as of yet.

Kent

MenendezDiego
October 1st, 2010, 13:05
$50.00? Sheesh...might as well just get Rise of Flight instead

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 13:30
...Iris Simulations is a business, so I'm comfortable with whatever he asks-- let the market decide.

Kent

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 13:41
Something must have come up... we should have had it by now if it was being uploaded earlier.

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 13:47
...Kiwikat....I hope you're wrong. Would really like to get that baby and get going.

Kent

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 13:54
...Kiwikat....I hope you're wrong. Would really like to get that baby and get going.

Kent

Me too! This is my only free time until tuesday night...

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 13:59
....this weekend (through Sunday noon) is my only free time for another three weeks.

K.

JayKae
October 1st, 2010, 14:26
Keep in mind that IRIS is in Australia and it is 825am here now so I am sure David will be up and running soon to finish what he started :)

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 15:02
wtf? $50.00.....I think I will Pass on thisone!!!:173go1::173go1::173go1:

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 15:06
wtf? $50.00.....I think I will Pass on thisone!!!:173go1::173go1::173go1:

Has this even been confirmed? As David said on Facebook, they are considering making it less because the USD is so weak and we are their biggest market, especially for this aircraft. And like I said before, if you're in the USA you can get it for low 40's on simmarket. 41 is a little easier to swallow than 50.

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 15:12
Has this even been confirmed? As David said on Facebook, they are considering making it less because the USD is so weak and we are their biggest market, especially for this aircraft. And like I said before, if you're in the USA you can get it for low 40's on simmarket. 41 is a little easier to swallow than 50.
I was just on simmarket and cant find anything regarding the iris A-10, do you have a Link?

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 15:15
I was just on simmarket and cant find anything regarding the iris A-10, do you have a Link?

Other iris products on simmarket that cost 50 AUD normally are only 41 and change without VAT. :wavey:

The A-10 still hasn't shown up at any store.

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 15:17
Other iris products on simmarket that cost 50 AUD normally are only 41 and change without VAT. :wavey:

Ah. now I gotcha...:salute::salute::salute:

ryanbatc
October 1st, 2010, 15:38
So what do you guys feel would be a fair price?

If it's too much just don't buy it...

For example, captainsim's 707 is waaaay to pricey for me - so I'm not going to buy it.

blazefox2
October 1st, 2010, 15:41

For example, captainsim's 707 is waaaay to pricey for me - so I'm not going to buy it.

or just wait for the christmas sale :wiggle:

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 15:43

$35-40 to me is a Fair price... $50.00 no way... and this coming from a guy who paid for the Virtavia B-1B for $49.00 my wife almost killed me, lol

ryanbatc
October 1st, 2010, 15:51
or just wait for the christmas sale :wiggle:

They already said they won't be having the 707 in the sale... :mad:

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 15:56

They'll lose a bunch of business because of it too. A little money is better than no money...

ARE WE THERE YET!? The night is wasting away and there's still nothing. :frown:

Sleep is overrated IRIS team. I'm running on a whopping 2 hours of it today. :p:

blazefox2
October 1st, 2010, 16:04

:a1451:

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 16:10
....we're still dead in the water.

The pricing discussion is completely subjective-- so again, let the market dictate.

I suspect that anyone who builds these things must factor in the hours of labor and other costs (cuz' it's a business, gents...), and derives the price that way.

My rule is, if I want it, I buy it...if I don't, I don't buy it.

Kent

SADT
October 1st, 2010, 16:53
At 1:52 NZ time (about 11:50-12:00) oz time..............

Still no A-10.......

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 16:58
Looks like David is back on facebook again...

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 16:59
Looks like David is back on facebook again...

Tell him $35-40 and its a Deal!!!

doublecool
October 1st, 2010, 17:01
While at the Iris Site and lookin around... and to change gears a bit while we wait for a release

Just a note: I wish Iris would finish the Bae 146-300 because this aircraft would finish the tube liners for me

and the C-27J, I see one every so often at the USCG Station St. Petersburg Airport, FL and its quite the looker in the USCG paints

Smudge
October 1st, 2010, 17:21
Morning guys... I called it a night at 3.30 am this morning, but am just finishing off the website content and storefront.. :)

The file is uploaded and contains a quickstart guide to get you going.. The full manual will follow within the week.

As for pricing, please keep in mind that we've not raised our prices for as far as I recall a good two years. our Pro Series range have been 49.99 AUD for a long time now, and our recent civvie products have dropped down from that pricing.

I have to pay the bills in my local currency no matter how much I wish I could say to the power company 'Hang on, let me convert my bill into US dollars and I'll pay you that amount in Australian Dollars!' I'm sure that'd work.. ;)

However that being said, we are looking at the pricing structure very carefully and will of course take into account how it affects our two largest demographics, the US and UK markets, however as a business we cannot lower the prices to such an extent as it becomes damaging to us. It's a fine balancing act as any business that deals in exports will tell you. Rest assured that it's not something we'll take lightly.

At the end of the day though, a product is worth however much an individual is willing to pay for it.. :) (I'm sure that's a quote somewhere. lol) Some will consider it to pricey, some will consider it a bargain. We simply can't please everyone.. :)

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 17:30
....that we can't buy it at this point?

Kent

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 17:31
So will be be able to buy it within the next couple hours? :wavey:

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 17:31
...what Kiwikat said!!! Can't wait to fly her....

Kent

Smudge
October 1st, 2010, 17:40
I've got puppy training in 20 mins then I'd promised my son I'd take him to the park for an hour or so (considering I've been hiding behind this desk all school holidays I owe him some dad-son time.. :) ) Once I'm back it's just a matter of updating the site and storefront and she'll be ready.

Karen and I are leaning towards a concensus on pricing too, which is good.. :)

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 17:42
Doesn't look like tonight then...

All that F5ing for nothing lol

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 17:48
So what you are saying its gona Cost me $62.00 US?.....

I will Pass on that!!:monkies:

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 17:49

What on earth kind of math are you doing? :173go1:

GrinningJester
October 1st, 2010, 17:57

49 AUD

=

47 USD.

MenendezDiego
October 1st, 2010, 18:26
It's sad, but if this thing is going to push $40.00 U.S. I might just have to go for Rise of Flight.

As much as I want this A-10A, 10 dollars more will get me an entire sim.

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 18:26
I'm relatively speechless...Off running errands for the next few hours then...

As for those "threatening" not to buy if the price isn't what they imagined it "should" be--why do that? I suspect you're NOT going to frighten developers into setting their prices based on your demands.

Kent

MenendezDiego
October 1st, 2010, 18:36
No one is making threats Kent.

ColoKent
October 1st, 2010, 18:42
....bad choice of words-- it's really an ultimatum ("It better be less than $XYZ, or I'm not buying!"). My bad.

Kent :wavey:

piperarcherpilot
October 1st, 2010, 20:51
My take on this whole thing - (directed at no one in particular)

I cant believe this issue keeps coming up. Its like, this is the mentality: If its 20 dollars, its a good buy. If its 30 dollars, its okay. If its 40, its insane, and if its 50, its time to throw a fit.

Wait...

Throw a fit? Whats that going to solve? And how do we have a right to throw said fit? No one is mandating we buy this stuff. No one is making us "enjoy" this hobby.

The bottom line remains; IRIS said they're well aware of the concerns about pricing, but they also have to make money with it.

So how much will it cost? It will cost whatever they decide to sell it for. That's really pretty much it; end of story. Frankly, saying "I wont buy it for THAT much!" isnt going to do anything but cause problems. Whether we all figure its too much and no one buys it and IRIS makes no money, or we all complain but still buy it, or we all think its a steal - I dont see why thats our issue. Its up to IRIS.

We just decide to get it, or not get it.

If its worth it to you, buy it. If its not, don't. That's pretty dang simple.

MenendezDiego
October 1st, 2010, 21:03
I do not agree.

Letting a company know that their prices are some-what high is the responsibility of the consumer.

I am a consumer. I would like to purchase their product, but for 50 dollars I cannot. I am simply letting the company know that their prices are too high for me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Diego

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 21:08
What on earth kind of math are you doing? :173go1:

This is what I am Talking about
http://www.trueknowledge.com/q/%C2%A349.99_to_dollar

piperarcherpilot
October 1st, 2010, 21:09
Okay, but I'm pretty sure they already know the prices are somewhat high (if thats the case), and that some people cant justify the purchase. They know that.

Lets just see what happens, and get back to discussing the A-10 and not IRIS' pricing decisions.

Has anyone heard how the nightvision is actually implemented? Is it a filter of some sort of more complex?

heywooood
October 1st, 2010, 21:11
I dunno - I think the argument - or point of view is justifiable.

If I can buy a complete simulator for 50 bucks (or other similar complete program) it does seem like paying the same or more for one 3d model (even an extremely well executed one) is somewhat hard to reconcile

I have limited myself to 30.00 max for an FSX model - this is why Carenado is so appealing, you can pay a 'reasonable' price and still get a tremendous model.

I HAVE paid more for a couple of FSX models - and while they are beautiful and extremely detailed, they also lag on my rig somewhat and that has led me to my decision...

I think people should be able to set their own limits and express those views here - to each their own I guess

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 21:13
I'm relatively speechless...Off running errands for the next few hours then...

As for those "threatening" not to buy if the price isn't what they imagined it "should" be--why do that? I suspect you're NOT going to frighten developers into setting their prices based on your demands.

Kent

I guess its Not OK to Speak Your Mind here, On a free Forum?

What do you Care what we say, Its Clear that You Intend to buy it, I am Just Trying to Figure out How Much, I did a Conversion to Dollars and it Said 49=62 U.S. If i am Wrong So Be it, But Lets Tone down the I`m Speachless Bit ok?:salute::salute::salute:

deathfromafar
October 1st, 2010, 21:16
Perhaps it's just best to wait & see how the Milviz version turns out pricewise. It looks quite stunning even though it may lack some of the features found on the Iris model like the gun & ordy. Time will tell how that one turns out and there may be a niche for all sides on this. I'm going to wait for the Milviz version and then compare price,quality, & features then decide. I will say, after seeing Razbam turn out their A-7 at such exceptional quality for $35 and Dino's F-35 at $16, I'm leaning further and further away from higher priced models which I can do without which I have done with quite a few others.

Rattler, you posted before I did but the current conversion rate is 1 Australian Dollar to 0.9719 American Dollars. At 49 AUD it evens out to a little over $47 USD.

piperarcherpilot
October 1st, 2010, 21:16
IRIS referenced AUD, not Pounds...

So....wouldnt this be more accurate in that case?

http://www.trueknowledge.com/q/49.99aud_to_dollar

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 21:30
Don't listen to these guys arguing Mr. Brice. We will be grateful when she's released! :jump: :ernae:

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 21:32
IRIS referenced AUD, not Pounds...

So....wouldnt this be more accurate in that case?

http://www.trueknowledge.com/q/49.99aud_to_dollar

I stand Corrected, However I still dont see people Shelling out almost $50.00, Some will, And I have in the Past, I.E. The Virtavia B-1B, And Swore never to do that Again.... Just my Opinion. Not Saying I wont Get this Bird, but, Why not make this Bird A Bit more Affordable, I`m Sure It would Sell more Units at $40.00 than $49.00, Again just my Opinion

:salute::salute::salute:

MenendezDiego
October 1st, 2010, 21:38
I dunno - I think the argument - or point of view is justifiable.

If I can buy a complete simulator for 50 bucks (or other similar complete program) it does seem like paying the same or more for one 3d model (even an extremely well executed one) is somewhat hard to reconcile

I have limited myself to 30.00 max for an FSX model - this is why Carenado is so appealing, you can pay a 'reasonable' price and still get a tremendous model.

I HAVE paid more for a couple of FSX models - and while they are beautiful and extremely detailed, they also lag on my rig somewhat and that has led me to my decision...

I think people should be able to set their own limits and express those views here - to each their own I guess

Everyone should go check out the Aerosoft Airbus, F-16, and Catalina prices. That's where I am coming from.

And for those who think I am simply hating, I am not trying to poke at Iris. I love their work! I absolutely adore their work and all the updates they have provided recently. Don't forget that.

Diego

Rattler
October 1st, 2010, 22:00
Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!!!

Just had to Do that!!!:salute::salute::salute:

deathfromafar
October 1st, 2010, 22:04
I agree with what Diego says, those of us who are flinching at the possible price feel that way for good reason. We are not attacking Mr. Brice personally or saying he's waging bad business(gouging). I personally have been a customer of his going back to FS8 but what we're pointing out is simply where some of us MUST draw a line. That does not apply to those willing to buy it at that price nor detract from the said/observed quality of the product.

As noted, we have another option for a high end A-10 coming. With all the other nice products coming along in the meantime, both payware and freeware, we will have plenty to keep happily occupied with until then.

piperarcherpilot
October 1st, 2010, 22:07
Well, lets just see what happens.

I think the sound in their video is superb: http://www.youtube.com/irissimulations#p/a/u/0/OoYczeCOiPI

You can really hear the changes in power. Sounds so smooth.

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 22:37
WHEN...

WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN

WHEN!!!???

:173go1:

Smudge
October 1st, 2010, 22:46
Sooner rather than later Kiwi, although answering posts takes more time away from what I should be doing..lol... ;)

Kiwikat
October 1st, 2010, 23:00
It looks like the prices of PRO series products at flightsimstore just went down to 40 AUD. Maybe this is what we'll pay for the A-10. That would be absolutely wonderful!!! :jump::jump::jump:

EDIT: Now they went back up... lol someone's playing games...

EDIT: The prices are back down again... :D

warchild
October 1st, 2010, 23:09
Welll, i flew her tonight for the first time since i did the fde. I'm not really qualified to make a judgement about the price, nor will i pretend to be, but, i will say that this is one of the best models i've seen in fsx and with almost 75 gigs of airplanes, i've seen quite a few.. Frame rates wise I'm gonna ask that i be allowed a day to get fsx fully recovered and tweaked.. even my default aircraft are causing stutters at the moment..
Is It worth 50 dollars?? Welll, when microsoft developed FSX they had a large team and it cost them plenty to make it, but they were also banking on selling massive quantities of the product to flight and sim enthusiasts around the world.. Its easy for them to sell a product for 40 bucks because they know people will buy it and continue buying it for years to come. Thats not true in this part of the industry. We HOPE people will continue buying it, but truth told, after a certain point, the sales which may not even number a thousand drop off completely, leaving nothing but the occasional curious george to buy it..
Now, I'm gonna ask that you all consider how much you make per hour at your jobs. I put in over 150 hours on the A-10 myself. How much did you earn in 150 hours?? That was only part of the cost it takes to produce one of these things.. Good thing i work here for free, but others dont. It can cost anywhere upwards of several thousand dollars to create an addon for fsx. Thats without counting the personal time put into it.. Sound people have to get payed, modelers and painters have to get paid, Gauge and xml programmers have to get paid, the ISP has to get paid.. everyone gets paid.. And theres no gaurantee the plane will even sell the first unit.
We try and put in as much as we possibly can. David went way past that on this plane. Its beyond anything Iris has ever done by a very long way. Is it worth 50 dollars?? I think thats up to each of us to decide personally. Is it really that fantastic?? Yeah, I personally believe it is ( but admit i'm biased ).
I can post screens, but that will only tell you part of the story.. I'm sure others will also express their feelings.. Maybe it would be best to wait and base a decision about the value of the plane when others give their impressions of it??
Pam

MenendezDiego
October 1st, 2010, 23:43
Good words Pam.

I will eventually buy her, at whatever price.

Guess I was just in the moment, not having 50 to spare at this exact time, if that makes sense.

Then again, I am getting paid in a week...so I could spare the cash...I just want her!

Diego

teeboy
October 1st, 2010, 23:51
I put off buying the VRS F18 because I thought it was too much, but I gave in 2 months ago. And I am sure we all know what that product is like...

Bought the RAZBAM A-7 last month and was a little disappointed - but only with the looks. It looks just a little less 'real' than the VRS product - great to play with though.

My point is, I paid what I consider a fair price for both. VRS have put in an incredible amount of work and the flight control simulation is fantastic. RAZBAM also did a great job on the A-7, but stopped just short of the visual excellence VRS achieved. I think the pricing reflects that. From what I have seen of wip screenshots and vids on facebook, the IRIS A10 LOOKS as good as the VRS product, has some nice features (the sounds are impressive alone) and is pitched in between them. Once you do the currency conversion I think it looks like a decent deal..

Odie
October 2nd, 2010, 00:40
I can only speak for myself as far as the TBD price is concerned, but IRIS' Tomcat was worth every penny. The visual model of the A-10 looks great and with Pam doing her thing (as she did with the Tomcat), it should be a most excellent representation of the A-10.

Price is always subjective, but Pam does raise a good point on how many hours and the number of people that go into getting something off of the virtual drawing board and into our virtual hangars.

In the aircraft that I've bought from IRIS in the past, they haven't disappointed. I'm sure the A-10 will be worth whatever the final cost is and will keep the high standards that IRIS has set on past aircraft.

Oh yeah, I'm clearing a spot in my hangar awaiting delivery of the Warthog....you know, the aircraft that fast-movers say uses a calendar for an airspeed indicator and the one that the ground troops love!

warchild
October 2nd, 2010, 01:35
Welll.. afraid i'm like you folks.. I bought a book and a video this month.. The throttle quadrant was a business investment. It'll make for another tight month but it isnt totally grim ( i promised myself ice cream tomorrow :) ) :;chuckles:; I swear, if i didnt make these things, i couldnt afford any of them any more, and thats the truth of it.. :)
Pam

warchild
October 2nd, 2010, 01:43
I'll make this guarantee. Now, i KNOW your gonna love the visual, and the VC is just fantastic even with a pair of leggs in there and the heavy breathing during a hard pull. But if there is something about the flight model that doesnt meet your expectations, let me know. I'll fix it.. Just remember, with my work, you should be able to crank back hard on the stick and not have it go insane on you, but you should never need more than a gentle tug to get it to do exactly what you want..
Pam

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 01:50
BTW Pam, the T button on the Radar Homing and Warning panel will remove the pilots legs for you if you don't like it... as for the breathing, turn the Cipony Delay switch off and that'll stop the pilot audio... ;) It's all in the quickstart guide...

DB.

warchild
October 2nd, 2010, 02:01
I put off buying the VRS F18 because I thought it was too much, but I gave in 2 months ago. And I am sure we all know what that product is like...

Bought the RAZBAM A-7 last month and was a little disappointed - but only with the looks. It looks just a little less 'real' than the VRS product - great to play with though.

My point is, I paid what I consider a fair price for both. VRS have put in an incredible amount of work and the flight control simulation is fantastic. RAZBAM also did a great job on the A-7, but stopped just short of the visual excellence VRS achieved.

One thing i always have to keep in mind is that we all bring our best foot forward. We each have those things about us that make us special and unique in this world, but what one person does exceedingly well, another may not be able to do as well.. I sat up pulling 24 hour days with Ron and Larry just before the release of the A-7. I saw the effort they put into it. it was, inspiring. I havent flown the VRS bug so i cant make any statements on it, but, if the A-7 doesnt match up to any one other plane out there, it's not because they didnt do their very best.. Those guys gave it every bit if love and energy they could give it. for seventy two hours solid, skype was almost crashing because of the intensity of exchanges between us ::lol:; it was really something else..
I think that if i was to give any advice at all, it would be to look at the integrity, professionalism and dedication of the developers behind the plane. When you have that, then other things can be excused a little.. :)..

warchild
October 2nd, 2010, 02:11
BTW Pam, the T button on the Radar Homing and Warning panel will remove the pilots legs for you if you don't like it... as for the breathing, turn the Cipony Delay switch off and that'll stop the pilot audio... ;) It's all in the quickstart guide...

DB.

What?? Me?? Read?? ::ROFLMAO::
Thanks David.. will be looking into learning all about her tomorrow.. tonight ( this norning?? Oy ) I'm still installing stuff..
Good news ( unabashed plug ) The P-61 pulled through everything fine, and it wont take any time to get back to work on her.. :)...

Bone
October 2nd, 2010, 02:24
You have to support those who have a history of doing something for you, such as Iris. Get Rise of Flight because it's a few dollars cheaper, but other than put a sim out, what has that vendor done for you...nada. After the A-10, Iris is going to build another model for you. Although I'm a cheap SOB at heart, 50 dollars for a quality model that is going to offer a few hundred hours of pleasure isn't bad...it beats the heck out of an 80 dollar model from a vendor that never makes a post at SOH to keep you updated (ie Capt Sim). I have two Capt Sim models that I've never been able to install on any one of my three computers, and after numerous attempts (over 5 months) to get them to help, I've given up. They keep refusing my help ticket with the recomendation that I should read through their previous support list for a solution. That's a big F-you as far as I'm concerned. Vendors like Iris, Razbam, ect, don't give out F-you's...they tell you what's going on, and they're diplomatic even when people are acting like they're entitled to something.

Renting airplanes is going to cost someone with a license 50 dollars an hour, or more. If you don't have a license, add another 25-30 dollars an hour on top of that. And then after the hour is up, that's it! Fifty to eighty dollars gone! Oh, and these airplanes suck in the performance department.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money, heck no! It's your money and I wouldn't dare! But, I want the follow on models that these vendors will be producing, so I'm buying. I'm glad there are people who can and will do the work to build these models. Obviously, there is a cost/benefit ratio associated with these models, but we're not there yet considering what we are all getting.

Fireball6
October 2nd, 2010, 04:18
I am confused - all those discussions about the price - is the A-10 out? Where can I buy it? What is the exact price for it?

Lenny
October 2nd, 2010, 04:28
I'm also, not about the price....but were to buy it. Iris store still hasn't listed.

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 05:04
...the real issue with price FINALLY came out in this discussion (and I knew this was what it was all about last night, anyway): "I want it, but I only have $20 or $30 to spend." And hey-- I understand that position-- hats off to people for finally coming clean.

However, that's a different problem than the price of the product (and what the man hours of work that went into it that must determine it's cost).

Kent

P.S. Just checked....STILL nothing-- I know I'm going to get bludgeoned for speaking the truth (it always happens on here), but what a waste of the weekend for most of us on this board (and you can't blame people for hitting F5 over and over after the "imminent release" of the A-10 has been hyped for the past week).

I suspect it's better to say nothing, then just release the thing when you have figured out all the upload bugs.

C'mon David....we're fans, and we're ready for it.

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 05:43
Kent, I fully agree with you... lol.

I'm currently sitting here drumming my fingers on the desk waiting for Install Creator Pro to finish doing its installer thing on the final build... it's now over four hours sitting compressing the A-10 product up into its installer...

The site and store are ready to upload..once the files finished its thing I can proceed full steam ahead..

I can understand why the natives are getting restless... :) my wife and son are too, they've not seen me for about four months and the house is a bombsite! lol.

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 05:48
...and I just checked your time zone....coming up on midnight, eh?

Thanks for pushing...

Kent

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 05:53
Aye, midnight here... and the clocks go forward so an hour less in bed... :) Still needs to be done though, before Kiwicat wakes up and wonders where his A-10 is..lol.

Creepy847
October 2nd, 2010, 05:58
Well I played it safe and decided to go to bed one thing I learned in the past is good things come to those that get sleep...

Looking forward to this release...

Creeps

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 06:14
Thanks Creeps, but I'm staying up till it's done... maybe I'll play Star Trek Online whilst this installer does it's thing... better than staring at facebook! lol.. :D

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 06:15
....I NEVER know quite where to "point" it before I execute:

- The main FSX folder?
- The Sim Objects folder?
- The Aircraft folder within the Sim Objects folder?
- Other?

Often, I just end up making a folder on my desktop and pointing at that, and then dragging everything to their correct folder in the sim after it gets done running. Any advice (t least as far as Iris products go?)

Kent

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 06:17
Kent,

The installer SHOULD find your FSX root folder from your registry, HOWEVER with the A-10 and the majority of IRIS installers, you should point it to your Program Files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder.. :)

Point it anywhere else and you'll end up with a fudged installation.

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 06:19
...good deal. Also, David-- it the paintkit being released now or will it be coming later?

Thanks,

Kent

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 06:25
lol, coming later... :)

I COULD release it now, but that means redoing the installer..:P and well, we don't want that now do we.. ;)

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 07:43
....no, we do not.

Thanks,

Kent

teeboy
October 2nd, 2010, 08:08
Pam

please let me be clear, my earlier comment is in no way meant to imply that the A-7 is not absolutely fantastic :jump:. I am ex military, worked as a sim tech for 24 years on military and commercial types (still do) and the realism both those products have is a real treat. You have to FLY them. Both remind me of the stuff I work on every day. They are not just jump in, max throttle and go.

The fact that the flight model for the A-10 has your name on it makes the purchase a no-brainer for me after the A-7. My comment was meant to put a little perspective on what you get for the price.

I'm trying not to wear the carpet out while waiting here...

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 08:26
Well I'm uploading it to the server as I type.. connection speed isn't as quick as I'd like, so it's saying another hour and 40 mins to go... it's 280Mb in total, and it includes the SD paintkit and three bonus installers for choosing which type of textures you'd like to see depending on your system performance. :)

Once it's up it's just a matter of updating the store and website and we're good to go. :)

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 08:34
...at least letting us know it's still a number of hours away.

Guess I'll try to actually go do something.

Check back later...

Kent

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 08:43
40 mins and counting.. :D

heywooood
October 2nd, 2010, 08:45
Everyone should go check out the Aerosoft Airbus, F-16, and Catalina prices. That's where I am coming from.

And for those who think I am simply hating, I am not trying to poke at Iris. I love their work! I absolutely adore their work and all the updates they have provided recently. Don't forget that.

Diego

Oh I agree - the Catalina is one of the planes I paid the extra dime for....I had to have it because of its amazing model detail - I knew it would bog down my ancient comp. but I figure I'll eventually 'grow' into it. But it did lead me to stick to my price limit more diligently.

And just for clarity - I know that the cost of a model has less to do with its quality, but as a general rule, it seems to apply that higher cost is a developers way of offsetting the effort of implementing higher detail and therefore more time spent on the model in development...I just wish they would pay more attention to draw calls than some of the micro details they implement.

Payware is acceptable - but the amount to be paid for it is an individual choice and opinions should be as freely accepted or rejected, as they are given...I don't think most people mean to do injustice to developers when they discuss these things- it is what it is

heywooood
October 2nd, 2010, 08:49
40 mins and counting.. :D

really!???

and me with lint-pockets and a model T processor....

the screenshots look awesome - maybe next year after I upgrade to the Daystrom M-5 multi-tronic
system ...

warchild
October 2nd, 2010, 09:14
Pam

please let me be clear, my earlier comment is in no way meant to imply that the A-7 is not absolutely fantastic :jump:. I am ex military, worked as a sim tech for 24 years on military and commercial types (still do) and the realism both those products have is a real treat. You have to FLY them. Both remind me of the stuff I work on every day. They are not just jump in, max throttle and go.

The fact that the flight model for the A-10 has your name on it makes the purchase a no-brainer for me after the A-7. My comment was meant to put a little perspective on what you get for the price.

I'm trying not to wear the carpet out while waiting here...

::chuckles:: no worries.. It was 2AM ( i think ) and i was babbling.. I'm not one to judge people.. They're actions? yes, but not the people themselves. I keep this real big mirror between myself and my judgements, and it keeps me pretty sober... Besides, i'm one of those types that the later it gets into the night, the more philosophical i become.. And last night was one of those sillysophical nights.. :)
Almost time for ice cream :) :) :) ..

GrinningJester
October 2nd, 2010, 09:33
really!???

and me with lint-pockets and a model T processor....

the screenshots look awesome - maybe next year after I upgrade to the Daystrom M-5 multi-tronic
system ...

The A-10 is very easy on performance, in my humble opinion.

Dave has put the draw calls and material stress as an important goal during development, and besides that- there is a lower resolution texture set you can install optionally should you wish to squeeze a few more FPS out of her! :)

Rattler
October 2nd, 2010, 09:45
You are Gona Make me Buy this Thing Arent you guys?

Crap.... where is my Wallet....:173go1::173go1::173go1:

Kiwikat
October 2nd, 2010, 09:46
Still needs to be done though, before Kiwicat wakes up and wonders where his A-10 is..lol.

LMAO

Today I'm not too interested in the A-10 as I have work soon and have to be there till 11. :frown:

Maybe tuesday if I get some free time I'll pick her up. Yesterday was my only chance for flying her this weekend. :wavey:

Anti-climactic I know, but work is work....

Quicksand
October 2nd, 2010, 09:48
Plastic at the ready!

skyhawka4m
October 2nd, 2010, 10:28
I too am now heading off to work but.....at 11pm I will be busting ass to get home by 11:05pm

Here's hoping she'll be out by then! :salute:

Rattler
October 2nd, 2010, 12:06
Are we there yet?:jump::jump::jump:

MenendezDiego
October 2nd, 2010, 12:11
40 minutes...

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 12:13
My store had a fit at me and refused to play nice, so it's now in the hands of Adrian at Flightsimstore.com who will no doubt announce it when it's available. :)

I'm continuing work on making it available direct from IRIS, but in the meantime keep an eye on Flightsimstore and if I see it before you, I'll post a release thread.. :)

DB.

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 12:18
...that Adrian is a chap with a sense of urgency...

Kent.

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 12:24
It is 724 in the morning here and I have just SMS'ed Adrian to get up lol

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 12:26
Jay, I don't think he went to bed...as soon as I PM'd him on facebook, he responded that he was on it.. :)

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 12:28
...smashing!

Kent

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 12:44
Yeah Dave, up early today to do a days work in a couple of minutes... Grand Finals today, hold your horses folks wont be too long anymore :)

flewpastu
October 2nd, 2010, 12:51
IRIS updated thier website to show the A10 with links to simmarket and fspilot and flightsim but they dont have it yet

Bill

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 12:55
Aye, it's our standard page for new products until our own store is back active again.. :)

Rattler
October 2nd, 2010, 13:15
[/URL]
[URL]http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1433 (http://www.flightsimstore.com/index.php?osCsid=rcrco8c71dj30q55u3l7smvpk3)

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 13:16
lol someone likes their refresh key lol

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 13:17
....how long do the online stores typically dilly-dally around until they get new products up?

Kent

P.S. Apparently NOT LONG! I'm downloading from Flight Sim Store NOW......Whoopie!!!!

Lenny
October 2nd, 2010, 13:18
How soon to be available on Simmarket store?

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 13:21
We usually dilly dally around for just enough time to tick people off purposely ;) :bump:

Seriously, we are in Australia, it is 822 on a Grand Final Sunday morning, we were up to receive the file and load it to our servers early this morning so all of you can enjoy it. I do no think one can ask for much more than that.

Simmarket and the others will be a while but don't worry our servers are CDN based so wherever you are you will get the fastest download possible from the node your ISP connects too :)

rvn817j
October 2nd, 2010, 13:22
FlightSim Store. Moving along pretty well....50%....etc.

Lenny
October 2nd, 2010, 13:24
Well, I could wait for another 48 Hrs to show up on Simmarket...but hell no.... purchasing it now from Flightsim Store :salute:

trevytt2004
October 2nd, 2010, 13:25
...smashing!

Kent
on your marks,,,get set,,,,,go......its up!!!!!!!

ColoKent
October 2nd, 2010, 13:25
...EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for slapping the A-10 up for us!!!!

Kent

P.S. LET'S HEAR IT FOR INSTANT GRATIFICATION!!!!! YAY!!!

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 13:28
Guys please do NOT use the link rattler posted for it has a session ID in it that could cause your purchase to fail

Smudge
October 2nd, 2010, 13:28
I'm waiting to hear the BRRRRRRRP of the GAU-8 Avenger! lol... ;)

Oh and if you wonder why there's no big thick manual, blame our facebook fans! lol. ;)

One will be forthcoming.

Roger
October 2nd, 2010, 13:33
Wanted to have a look at the product but after my initial log-in when I go to the A10 product page it askes me for a log-in again..and again..and etc. Sites' fubar.

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 13:36
No, site is not fubar, do NOT use Rattlers link, mods can you PLEASE replace rattlers link with this one ?

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1433

He posted a link with a session ID in it which mucks up ppl's logins! I do not need this additional headache this morning lol

(all said in good fun Rattler :) I am OZ, I have a bad sense of humour ;) )

Roger
October 2nd, 2010, 13:40
No, site is not fubar, do NOT use Rattlers link, mods can you PLEASE replace rattlers link with this one ?

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1433

He posted a link with a session ID in it which mucks up ppl's logins! I do not need this additional headache this morning lol

(all said in good fun Rattler :) I am OZ, I have a bad sense of humour ;) )

Understood...I hadn't seen your "don't use Rattler's link".

JayKae
October 2nd, 2010, 13:45
Thats ok :) :)

Rattler
October 2nd, 2010, 14:31
Downloading as we speak

Thanks to Iris For All your Work, Im sure its another Quality Bird

italoc
October 3rd, 2010, 06:19
Downloading as we speak

Thanks to Iris For All your Work, Im sure its another Quality Bird

me too .... but at a "horrendous" 10 k/s speed: it'll take ages to download
Italo

JayKae
October 3rd, 2010, 06:35
Just checked my logs for your ISP mate, the only two that are downloading under 600kpbs are you and one other person, both on the same node.. both on the same ISP, little further investigation into the logs reveals your ISP does not like the EdgeCast node too much and throttles the node... not much I can do about that mate, sorry

italoc
October 3rd, 2010, 07:22
Just checked my logs for your ISP mate, the only two that are downloading under 600kpbs are you and one other person, both on the same node.. both on the same ISP, little further investigation into the logs reveals your ISP does not like the EdgeCast node too much and throttles the node... not much I can do about that mate, sorry

Thanks, but ..... the download just stopped by itself few minutes ago so I have to restart again (at a lower speed)
First time I encounter such problem, after so many downloads I had with so many providers (including FlightSim Store). Cant I use another node ??? What's EdgeCast ??
Italo

JayKae
October 3rd, 2010, 14:06
I've responded to your ticket as well, Edgecast is content delivery network it basically ensures everyone has got the closest download node to them for fastest speeds BUT some ISP's limit their users the of such nodes due to the high speeds you could pull from them. For example, my node here in Sydney allows me 15.3Mpbs at the moment.

piperarcherpilot
October 3rd, 2010, 14:17
Wow...I didnt have any issues downloading it yesterday - got the whole package in about 10 minutes.

JayKae
October 3rd, 2010, 15:30
It is a limited amount of ISP that do this, the speeds of our servers well exceed what most people would be able to get on the line they own. Just sometimes there are hiats