PDA

View Full Version : Went down today, One less harley in the world now..

HouseHobbit
September 23rd, 2010, 14:06
Well I just got home from the hospital.
A girl ran a stop light this morning and hit me..

I am okay, She destroyed scooter Bike through, I am not Hurt I landed on top of Her hood, and fininished my ride there..
The doctors wanted to keep me tonight, But I am fine, well at least no broken bones or anything..
Very Bummed right now..
I am very grateful there were several people who saw what happemed.. The police were very Kind during it all, one of them I knew from years ago when i was a gunsmitth
here..
I gress it had to happen sooner or later, for My sister and family are very upset, My nephew is going to spend the night tonight to keep a eye on me..LOL..
Really Bummed out.aftet 36 years of riding It finally happened..

I need to rest, and clear out all the folks that have starting showing up here....
Damn... give me a few days, and i'll be back up..

God bless you, and i'll be back in a day or so..
Need to say some prayers and lick my wounds..
I'll send the details later, not sure myself what happened..I know scooter Bike took a second hit from another car before it was over
It got knocked into the other lane and another car finished her..While I was enjoying the view of the inside of the girl's car who started it all..
Not too sure about it all.. the people, in the reports will clear it up when i get them..
OUCH..

And ensure my Nephew doesn't freak out, he's is very upset, I am okay.. Just beat up a bit..
But he is very upset..LOL..OH Man, just worked out, don't laugh that hurts right now..

Off to rest..

Willy
September 23rd, 2010, 14:20
I hate to hear it HH, but the good thing is that you're allright. Scooter bikes can be replaced, people can't.

I rode for several years and while I lost one on some ice and went under a parked truck (longish story), I was lucky and never actually got hit.

Take care of yourself.

Willy

Tako_Kichi
September 23rd, 2010, 14:23
Rest up HH and take care. Sorry to hear about the bike but I hope they nail the driver to a tree!

I rode bikes for 19 years back in the UK in all seasons and took a few spills myself but always seemed to 'bounce' well and had no injuries. I was nailed once by a car driver on a roundabout (traffic circle). I was about to exit when he came straight out in front of me without ever stopping at the 'give way' line! I put the bike on it's side but still slammed into his driver's side door which catapulted me off the bike and into a heap on the road while the bike climbed a low wall on the roundabout which caused the rucksack full of groceries on the rear rack to 'explode' showering tins and packages of food all over the road!

The damn fool had been busy yakking at a piece of skirt in the passenger seat and never checked for traffic already on the roundabout! :angryfir:

kilo delta
September 23rd, 2010, 14:40
Glad to hear you're OK,Hobbit. Take it easy over the next few days at least...some injuries aren't instantaneous and can rear there ugly head after a couple of days (as I know only too well). Not trying to frighten you...just asking you to take care of yourself. :)

Was never into bikes,myself...I was bit of an accident magnet on four wheels as it is. None my fault though. My BIL's Hayabusa has me tempted though :d

Toastmaker
September 23rd, 2010, 14:40
It's good that you're ok. You're very lucky and I know that you know that. Rest up a bit and pay attention to any headaches you may get.

:running:

flyer01
September 23rd, 2010, 14:54
So the fur was flying. She probably had never seen a Hobbit riding a Harley. HH take care, I was not going to make a video tonight so get some rest.

Stay well my friend,
Mike

Snuffy
September 23rd, 2010, 15:53
Well the good news is you're alive and well. Unfortunately I know or rather have known far too many that didn't make the "trip".
I've been darn lucky in the years that I rode ... it pains me greatly to say that I haven't ridden in years.

The bike can be replaced ... I'm sure we'd think twice if we had to find a replacement for you. :wavey:

TomSteber
September 23rd, 2010, 16:07
So glad your gonna be OK. As it's already been stated, you can replace the bike. Much harder to replace you!
Rest up for awhile and then see if there's any parts worth salvage.
Remember, loud pipes save lives!

Navy Chief
September 23rd, 2010, 16:15
I am relieved you are ok!

I had my one and only accident on a motorcycle way back in 1973. I still have road cinders embedded in my right hand. Had one other bike, a 1982 Goldwing, and sold it years ago, as I wasn't riding anymore.

NC

OBIO
September 23rd, 2010, 16:15
House Hobbit....

Now dangit...don't go and git yurself killed off. I just got me a set of reliable wheels...and afore too long will have to drive it to Dayton to make sure the fuel tank can hold that much gas...and you know that I plan on draggin your hairy-footed self to the USAF Museum for the day.

Bikes can be replaced...they made millions of them and will make more...but Hobbits are pretty rare!

Tim

Panther_99FS
September 23rd, 2010, 16:19
HH,
Good hear how you came out! - Apologies about the scooter....

rayrey10
September 23rd, 2010, 16:31
Glad to hear you're ok...sorry about your bike!

HouseHobbit
September 23rd, 2010, 17:19
Hello I am Hobbit's Nephew,
he wants everyone to know he will be okay..

Several of his Friends are here, and One of his big biker friends just put him to bed..
He doesn't realize he is hurt, and refused to rest, but the big guys are dealing with him..

I want to thank everyone for Him also..
we are all very worried , But as One of the Bikers just said, Hobbits have 9 lives, and he just used another one is all..

I shall be here with him tonight, and Tomorrow some of his girl friends will be here also..
I want everyone know here he was concerned that some may be worried about it all..
So he asked me to sent this..
Got to go now..

jmig
September 23rd, 2010, 18:15
I am sorry to hear of the accident HH but happy you came our with only minor scratches. Bikes can be replaced. Friends can not.

Bone
September 23rd, 2010, 18:20
Glad you're OK, you're VERY lucky! I had dirt bikes when I was growing up, but I say NAY to street bikes. I've seen two car/motorcycle impacts, and I've happened upon the aftermath of three more. Very gruesome.

I will never ride a street bike.

txnetcop
September 23rd, 2010, 18:25
WOW you are one very fortunate individual...you walked away from it! AMAZING! Take it easy for a while you are probably in shock to some degree tomorrow you may be very sore-EVERYWHERE!
Glad your OK HH!
Ted

luckydog
September 23rd, 2010, 19:19
I've had two "majors" over 44 years ('68 & '84).......both times I was wearing a helmet. 2nd one destroyed my helmet and resulted in a nasty skull fracture and partial right eye "blow-out".
You REALLY have to "stay on your toes" !!
Glad you're ok.........it's gonna be Advil time for the next week or so.

LD

Astoroth
September 24th, 2010, 00:06
Glad you're okay, HH, rest up and take it easy for a bit, you're gonna hurt in places you didn't even know you had! We'll keep the light on for ya!

Chacha
September 24th, 2010, 03:59
Thank God you are Ok, Owen,

Be sure you get checked from the hospital, x-rays and stuff....
Do not worry about the bike...

CADFather
September 24th, 2010, 04:21
Owen, So glad to hear that you came out the other side of the encounter in one piece. You are aware of my bike crash in 2006 and some didn't think that I would ever ride again or be able to for that matter, but six months to the day after the crash I bought another bike, a bigger, faster bike, lol. That is a choice you have to make for yourself, to replace "scooter bike" or no, everyone can give you advice on it but ultimately it comes down to what you decide is best for you. I guess the best thing to say on that note is this, "All riders go down, some ride again, some don't, some can't." I understand that "scooter bike" was your only form of transportation and that it will have to be replaced with something, but concentrate on getting yourself back to 100% before you begin worrying about that. A broken hobbit is no good to any of us, so listen to what you are being told and do what you are told, no matter if you feel fine. You have my number if you want to talk to someone that has been there and is still recovering. Joe

flyer01
September 24th, 2010, 07:17
Owen, How are you this morning? Let us know when you get a chance.

Stay well my friend

flyer01

Bjoern
September 24th, 2010, 08:18
I know the other side of that story. Never got to paint a killmark on the car 'though...

(Stop shouting at me already, the biker was okay. A good trajectory, well executed landing and body armor saved him.)

Glad you're okay, HH.

TeaSea
September 24th, 2010, 15:16
Glad you're okay HH....I'm so looking forward to stalking Hobbit in the future!

For what it's worth...everyone is supposed to lay his bike down at least once. I came damn close once, and it got my heart pumping.

Friend of mine laid his Ultra down on the off ramp coming off the A-6 Autobahn in Mannheim. He was fortunate enough to be just a bit sore (wearing full leathers). He was going about 60 MPH.

Willy
September 24th, 2010, 16:15
Laid my first one down twice. Got off pretty much unhurt both times. Never dropped another. I was darned lucky. Now, I'm messing around with horses in my old age. Still waiting to get thrown off.

HouseHobbit
September 24th, 2010, 23:56
God Bless you all..
Thank you very much for the kind concern..

Yea I am finally a true Biker..:jump:..
I didn't get any road rash to speak of, ended my ride embedded in the windshield of the car that hit me..
A dear biker friend has scooter bike in his garage, I will she her remains tomorrow.. Not looking forward to this..
many have shown me GREAT Kindness..Including all of you here..
Thanks very Much..

Our Lord again managed to keep me alive, in a bad situation..
THANKS BE TO GOD...

I am recovering, and I was pleased to say they didn't have to shave my feet either..Was concerned about that you know..

I am up late, can't sleep.. The pain meds are something i am not used to..
Don't like these things at all..But I know right now I need them..

My dear aunt, a nurse has been keeping a close watch the past 24 or so Hours..

she is so cool keeps asking me stupid questions like what is my name,(El supreme Hobbit: master of the universe) and how old I am eleventy-five ( hobbit years)..
Then then she gets all mad..
and shinning a light in my eyes, she already knows it is empty in there.. I don't know what she is looking for???
I gress I did suffer a bit of a concusion from it all..

I am alone right now I ran everyone off earlier, under Much protest.
And My Dear nephew Alex, God Bless Him has been here also..

I would ask all to pray for the young lady who Hit me, perhaps she will learn from it all..
And be Blessed by our Lord with a bit more wisdom..

Oh Hobbits bounce very well, I am pleased to say..:jump:

and one of the police at the crash was a old friend from many years ago, He stopped by today to let me Know There was nothing I could have done..it is very troubling right now..

I don't remember alot, except being lifted by the EMT's from the car..I am unable to remember the hit right now..That troubles me greatly..
I am puzzled, I have always managed to keep a clear vision and always keep my eyes moving searching for problems when I ride..
I am not able to work out were I messed up and missed the car that ran the light.... But I am stiil having problems focusing right now..

I am up late tonight, the meds are messing with me..
And aren't able to sit upright at the present without discomfort, But I am okay..
and will get better.

God Bless each of you.. Thanks very Much,
Owen

paiken
September 25th, 2010, 09:52
"I don't remember alot, except being lifted by the EMT's from the car..I am unable to remember the hit right now..That troubles me greatly..
I am puzzled, I have always managed to keep a clear vision and always keep my eyes moving searching for problems when I ride..
I am not able to work out were I messed up and missed the car that ran the light.... But I am stiil having problems focusing right now.."

Classic signs of a concussion HH. Your nurse friend is absolutely right asking you those silly questions. We don't want a Hobbit with brain damage...
Glad you're feeling well enough to complain. A sure sign of improvement.

Ickie
September 25th, 2010, 10:01
I have road a bike all my life and this has happened to me a lot, that is someone did not see me.
For the past 5 years I have had an old ural with a side car and not once has anyone ever pulled out in front of me I guess it is because it is wide and has lots of lights on it.

hews500d
September 25th, 2010, 10:23
HH Glad to hear you're ok... remember, bikes can be replaced, YOU cannot !
Get lots of rest..

Darrell

BOOM
September 25th, 2010, 10:36
Glad you came out ok,You'll love the 2011 Harley's anyway!!!:salute:

HouseHobbit
September 25th, 2010, 19:57
Thank you all vey much, the kindness is so very wonderful..
BRAVO to all..
I am up I have House guests it seems on one wants me left alone..LOL.

Theresa and my friend Bill are having a discussion on Who is going to sleep with me tonight..LOL..
I hope Bill wins..LOL.. Theresa is dangerous but again any 23 year old is dangerous to me..
She is a friend I have had in my life since she was a young one, I gress she adopted me..
They both are from out of town, and I do realize the effort many are putting out on my behalf..
Bill has been my friend for twenty five years or so, I am sorry to say he has been down three times during those years, and I never left his side.. Someone had to abuse him.. So now he said it is my turn..LOL..
I was checked again by My anut, (the nurse), she shows up each day to watch after me..
I didn't expect all of this..
Truly humbled right now.. Man I always throught I was just the hang around guy, but it does seem in spite of my best efforts, some seem to have taken a liking to me..
God Bless them..
And THANKS Very MUCH to my online family here at SOH..
Not to worry i'll be up in a few days picking on the men folk, and flirting with Chacha and C9G
Boy, that will get me in trouble..LOL..
Thanks all..I am okay, just recovering here..
God Bless everyone..

Willy
September 25th, 2010, 20:49
Glad to hear that you're recovering. A man with friends is truly blessed.

Lionheart
September 25th, 2010, 23:16
Man, I am gone for a day or 2 and you go and take down a car, or vice versa!

I am really glad you are well and safe HH. Its wierd. I have been running around getting parts for my car and was thinking, while on the highway today, about an accident one of the guys saw here at SOH, a biker was hit. I was remembering another guy, a kid, back long ago, who had a nice red KZ crotch rocket. He laid it down with shorts on, bike rode his leg. He was crippled for life, going into recovery with training on walking again.

I was in one accident (one of two) on my Honda. Person pulled out in front of me, I hit the brakes, did final decelleration straight up in the air, landed on the bike and fell over on the street. I broke the hand brake handle off with my thigh.

Again, I am so glad you are safe man. You can always get new bikes. Body parts, or life for that matter, are a different matter completely. Be thankful. Thank you God for spairing our HH.

Heal up man. Relax..

Bill

Francois
September 26th, 2010, 03:30
Glad to hear you're okay. **** happens, as they say, and usually it is bad for us riders. Hope you'll get a new ride soon. Despite the sensitivity to us, it still beats driving a cage ;-)

Aviator32
September 26th, 2010, 04:06
My sympathies. I had a bad collision with a car at a junction 21 years ago and still suffer for it. Glad to hear you aren't hurt.