PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo Studios F8F Bearcat Released

Pages : [1] 2

MudMarine
September 23rd, 2010, 05:12
WOOO HOOO:jump: Downloaded and I'm off to give it a twist and spin!!

roger-wilco-66
September 23rd, 2010, 05:24
Woooha, great news, now wheres the credit card ?? :-)

Cheers,
Mark

MudMarine
September 23rd, 2010, 06:04
Just some screenies:

First impression, Very Nice! Make sure you lock the tail wheel on take off! The ground crew was chasing me all over the field. I had to take a pict of the seat because the texture is so nice. The pit is awesome with lots of switches to play with. Handles sweet, I greased the landing. So much more to play with, bombs, guns, drop tanks; off to read the manual!

spotlope
September 23rd, 2010, 06:21
Man, that's some gorgeous texture artwork! Looks like it'd be worth getting for the VC alone.

VCN-1
September 23rd, 2010, 06:24
Just some screenies:

Make sure you lock the tail wheel on take off!

I guess I wasn't the only one to screw up on the first flight. I was all over NASP before I could get airborne.

VCN-1

mal998
September 23rd, 2010, 06:53
Outstanding work!!! A real beauty...

skyhawka4m
September 23rd, 2010, 07:43
$36.00 spent well....downloading now.

MudMarine
September 23rd, 2010, 07:44
Man, that's some gorgeous texture artwork! Looks like it'd be worth getting for the VC alone.

Yup, the pit is outstanding!!:salute:

jankees
September 23rd, 2010, 07:53
downloading now...

edit: sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowww

thefrog
September 23rd, 2010, 07:57
downloading now...
Great to see an realistically textured cockpit - noticeably absent in releases from some other developers recently...
Frog

Deano
September 23rd, 2010, 08:09
Shes taking a bit of a hit at the moment :salute:

downloading now...

edit: sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowww

skyhawka4m
September 23rd, 2010, 08:31
Ok...outstanding aircraft but one issue....

I am getting a CTD when ever I "end flight" or when ever I try to change paints, change from one plane to another no matter wut plane I try to load. But...its only after I've managed the loadout. I am assuming that if I were to have the plane as it was when it loaded, only wing [pylons all would be ok as I've not tried that yet. Just thought I'd give a heads up for a possible fix.

danyboy21
September 23rd, 2010, 08:35
I just buy and testing it

A great thanks for this wonderfull plane

I say just :

"I'm happy" :applause::applause::applause:

NWarty
September 23rd, 2010, 09:12
Dadgummit!!! I have to wait until Saturday as I'm out of town :crybaby:

jankees
September 23rd, 2010, 09:38
OK, I'll admit: I like it!:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5475.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5478.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5477.jpg

raptor19
September 23rd, 2010, 09:44
Absolutely superb Dean! As well as the externals the VC is outstanding. Congratulations to all involved, Vertigo's reputation must now be really sky high (pardon the pun). Four aircraft so far and all to an extremely high standard! :ernae::jump::jump::jump:

Best regards,

John N.

skyhawka4m
September 23rd, 2010, 09:50
Will we be seeing the other paints you did for this gem? I knoiw I saw a bunch of very nice ones done by Bruce. Also, is there a way to get a nice clean version of the yellow winged aircraft?

Deano
September 23rd, 2010, 10:06
Hi please see the following post :

http://vertigostudios.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=449&postcount=94

Will we be seeing the other paints you did for this gem? I knoiw I saw a bunch of very nice ones done by Bruce. Also, is there a way to get a nice clean version of the yellow winged aircraft?

Kowalski65
September 23rd, 2010, 10:32
Ive been waiting for this to come out for a while now,and now Im waiting for the order to be completed :)
Hope Vertigo are working late tonight LOL

I thinks this needs a sticky, considering the interest in the last thread!

gajit
September 23rd, 2010, 10:35
Hi Dean

Well done - excellent - inside and out with superb fps compared to other products on my PC.

Not sure that the pilot should be covered in something accross his front.

appart from that it is gonna be a classic addon.

Well done again.

skyhawka4m
September 23rd, 2010, 10:50
Hi please see the following post :

http://www.http://vertigostudios.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=449&postcount=94

Link doesn't work

gajit
September 23rd, 2010, 10:51
Just one thing - I seem to have the rudder pedals locking to the left - is this my fault? (Im having too much fun to read the manual if im honest!)

bruce448
September 23rd, 2010, 10:52

skyhawka4m, the way to do the change to model to clean wing is to change the aircraft.cfg for that particular aircraft from title=VS F8F2 03 to title=VS F8FC 03 .

Bruce

skyhawka4m
September 23rd, 2010, 10:53
No paint kit?

BOOM
September 23rd, 2010, 10:59
Awwweee!!!!!!! I waited up last night till late reading the manual,can't wait to get home from work and download!!! Thanks Deano and team Vertigo!!!

skyhawka4m
September 23rd, 2010, 11:04
skyhawka4m, the way to do the change to model to clean wing is to change the aircraft.cfg for that particular aircraft from title=VS F8F2 03 to title=VS F8FC 03 .

Bruce

Yes I understand that but.....lets say we are in mid flight and I get a bug up my butt and want to change paints.......I can't. It CTD's when I try that. Sporry if my previous post was confusing.

Kowalski65
September 23rd, 2010, 11:08
Link doesn't work
This is the text:

"..with the hard work the painters put into the paintschemes, we're looking at offering the additional paints for a small fee so that the artist is rewarded for there hard work.

At present we have an additional 15 schemes that'll probably go on sale at $9.99 I guess its a small contribution for all the hard work they put in."

pretty good value I'd say!

Deano
September 23rd, 2010, 11:20
Guys any problems you may encounter please direct them to our ticket support, it makes it easier for us to work through them in any future patches.

skyhawka4m
September 23rd, 2010, 12:45
Jankees....I appreicate your paints each and every time I fly them. So with the additional paints we are now talking $45.00 for the Bearcat in all its glory....hmmmmm.

I know I do my paints for the enjoyment and in the spirit of sharing but I guess in todays world things are changing. I'll have to seriously think about the additional paints idea.....

Jankess, my guess is the paint kit will not be released so they can market the paints they already have done....or maybe the kit will come with the paints?

GrinningJester
September 23rd, 2010, 13:10
Stop it folks..

The paintkit will be available to everyone.

Deano
September 23rd, 2010, 13:24
Jankees, Mal..

I have no idea where you have come up with the assumption that there will be no paintkit released. Times like this when people jump to conclusions does nothing but leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.

The only thing I was offering was the chance for painters to make money from selling there paints via our store. To my recollection there has been '2' artists contact me in regards to the paintkit.

At this moment in time, this thread started out fairly nice, good comments and feedback and then it spiralled back down to fullers earth.

I'd like to thank those that took the time to post constructive comments and feedback, its greatly appreciated.

..end transmission.

txnetcop
September 23rd, 2010, 13:25
It won't sit well with this consumer...but then I do have the option of buying or not! This really makes me appreciate you guys who do this work so beautifully for free.
Ted

I do believe the aircraft is worth the price so don't let my negative feelings about the paints for pay distort what a beautiful work of art the aircraft is!

mal998
September 23rd, 2010, 13:30
Dean,
With all due respect, I never said a word about the paint kit. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding or miscommunication regarding the additional paints.

I agree this thread is about the release of the Bearcat and this discussion should be left for another time and thread.

I have removed my offending posts.

BR's
mal

jankees
September 23rd, 2010, 13:42
no worries Dean!
It just that when we get an announcement about extra paints for money, releasing a paintkit might not be a good business plan, so I asked about it, and rambled on a bit.
But my ramblings are gone...

Nice bird btw, did I mention that?

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5502.jpg

gajit
September 23rd, 2010, 13:43
The only thing I was offering was the chance for painters to make money from selling there paints via our store.

LOL - you were joking - right?

Deano
September 23rd, 2010, 13:55
Sorry guys I no longer wish to be part of something that can be so destructive, it really doesn't make no sense to me at all.

For future announcements please drop by our forums, for product support please use the ticket support system provided.

jojohnson9
September 23rd, 2010, 14:20
How do you turn on the gunsight? I have read the through the manual and seem to be missing the part where it says how to power it up.

PRB
September 23rd, 2010, 14:29
Sorry guys I no longer wish to be part of something that can be so destructive, it really doesn't make no sense to me at all.

For future announcements please drop by our forums, for product support please use the ticket support system provided.

Dean, I think there was a misunderstanding, and a bit of a "jump to conclusion" by a couple of people. Those people have deleted their posts in an attempt to "make things right" here in this thread. We appreciate the hard work you guys have done with this fine ship! Please don't let it spoil the good feelings that they and all of us have conveyed with this release. Well done on the "Beercat"! I plan to get it "soon-ishly"

mal998
September 23rd, 2010, 14:36
How do you turn on the gunsight? I have read the through the manual and seem to be missing the part where it says how to power it up.

there is a small dial just below the reticle that responds to right and left mouse clicks.

hammer353
September 23rd, 2010, 14:57
Is there another place to buy the bearcat other then Vertigo Studios?

jojohnson9
September 23rd, 2010, 15:19
there is a small dial just below the reticle that responds to right and left mouse clicks.

The manual indicates the dial changes settings for the gunsight. When I put my mouse over it indicates that the gunsight if off. I click on it but no power to the sight. Just can't turn the darn thing on.

BOOM
September 23rd, 2010, 15:29
19668What a Beauty!!!!

oakfloor
September 23rd, 2010, 15:45
Um..didnt the F8F bearcat come with a P&W R-2800 "C" series engine? that would be the one with the two piece nose case? am I looking too closely?http://www.airliners.net/photo/Grumman-F8F-2-Bearcat/1749570/&sid=53f25b5862dd266510b0e54aec290940

OBIO
September 23rd, 2010, 15:58
Um..didnt the F8F bearcat come with a P&W R-2800 "C" series-57 engine? that would be the one with the two piece nose case? am I looking too closely?

In my opinion, yes. It's a cartoon airplane...a very nice looking one with animations that you can control...but still a cartoon airplane none-the-less. Don't take it so seriously. That's what my wife keeps telling me when I get all excited about a sim plane or a skin I do for one. It's all just a cartoon, not real life.

OBIO

DennyA
September 23rd, 2010, 16:10

DeanO, two guys go off half-cocked on an assumption and you abandon the whole forum? That's disappointing.

FYI, I'd have never known about your planes if it wasn't from Sim-Outhouse. I've bought the Hellcat, I'll probably buy the Bearcat (not sure I'll fly it $36 worth), and I'll definitely buy the Panther (and any other 50's jets you release!).

This is the Internet. Anything that's not heavily moderated on the Internet is at least 20% half-cocked bitching about things. And anyone who's braved the Intarwebs for more than a few months (or days) knows this and can tune out the unreasonable or unfounded content.

So please realize your presence on Sim-Outhouse results in sales for you, and it's hardly a toxic environment as far as the Internet goes. (I'd suggest you go read the neogaf gaming forums if you want to see negativity! Even with rivet counting and suppositions, this is still one of the friendliest forums on the net.)

Stick around, ignore or politely counter the unreasonable posts when they happen, and enjoy the 80%+ that is flight sim enthusiasm here.

peter12213
September 23rd, 2010, 17:18
LOL - you were joking - right?

That is Nutts, Deano, it about the only thing us for want of better words but "Pro simmers" have is the repaints for free. I personally spent thousands of pounds on models and scenery not even including what we have to spend even to run this sim at a high level! No disrespect intended to you or Vertigo Deano, but some of the best repaints ever made for models were 3rd party and free, denying us that right is well a sin in my book mate!

Just my two pence!

Dangerousdave26
September 23rd, 2010, 17:21
(not sure I'll fly it $36 worth),

I think it is important to note that Vertigo Studios prices have not changed. The price you are seeing is a product of the exchange rate.

My read is that Deano has not abandoned SOH but just excluded himself from any further discussion on the topic that had generated some off topic comments.

Dave

GrinningJester
September 23rd, 2010, 18:05
Peter;

Repaint will be available, free repaints will be available. Nothing to worry about.

MudMarine
September 23rd, 2010, 18:17
:a1451:It's unbelievable what this community has become lately. I'm very disapointed with some peoples attitudes. Frankely I don't even know why add-on creators even bother anymore. People think they're getting rich doing what they do.

The reality is they do it because they love to and they'll never become rich in the process. The vendors have the right to place what ever price they see fit on their creation. They determine the time and effort that went into a project and place a value on it. If we don't like it we don't have to buy it!

Please, next time you go to work and the boss asks you to do some extra work tell him you'll do it for free! Because why should anyone be rewarded for extra effort and time. As if that will ever happen!

We're the lucky ones!!

txnetcop
September 23rd, 2010, 18:21
That Bearcat is nothing short of AMAZING!!!!!! That one is definitely on my list of TO GET!
Ted

gradyhappyg
September 23rd, 2010, 18:29
Is there another place to buy the bearcat other then Vertigo Studios?

I am guessing you don't have Paypal, Me either.
If they do like they usually do they will release it in a few weeks at other vendors like The Flightsim pilot shop Etc.
We non Paypal-ers just have to wait.

peter12213
September 23rd, 2010, 19:06
Ok after being expained it's a repaint pack not being charged to actually repaint the Bearcat, for that I grasped the wrong end of the stick and hold my hands up! OK!!! :kilroy:

ColoKent
September 23rd, 2010, 19:15
Hate to see you go, Deano-- but I know you're trying to make a point (of some sort-- I guess?).

Fair seas and trailing winds, my friend...

Looking forward to the Panther!

Kent

Ian Warren
September 23rd, 2010, 20:29
Arr , whats a little money , Frankly i,m propelling myself to the beauty paints , most by Bruce , Thanks Matey :salute:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Blue
September 23rd, 2010, 21:51
There is a lot of immaturity in this thread and that includes you Deano. Just because a few people misinterpreted your statement that is no reason to "take your ball and go home". As a business operator you can not simply duck into your shell just because the heat is turned up. You have an opportunity here at SOH to primer your product as well as offer direct customer support. Currently there is a thread in this forum about the subject of customer support and how very few people are not happy with the "support ticket" system. So if you feel your departure from this forum along with your parting comments about advising your customer base to use the support ticket system for support issues, is going to punish us here I think you are mistaking. The only person you are alienating is yourself. Acting on emotions is never a smart business move. I would advise you to think about sticking around.

As for the people who were complaining about the paint kit-price issue. I think some of your acted prematurely and started in on the guy without fully reading what the man wrote. I am not saying this was not the thread to disagree with the guy. I think this is actually the perfect thread to disagree with the guy. What I am saying is some of the comments came across pretty pointed. There is a way to relay your disagreement without being so pointed.

I haven't had the chance to buy the F8F yet, but I will hopefully this weekend. Those of you who were saying that you do not have a paypal account. You do not have to have a paypal account to use paypal. Since VS has a PP account you just use your credit card like normal, you check out like you would at a normal online retailer. :jump:

MudMarine
September 23rd, 2010, 22:15
There is a lot of immaturity in this thread and that includes you Deano. Just because a few people misinterpreted your statement that is no reason to "take your ball and go home". As a business operator you can not simply duck into your shell just because the heat is turned up. You have an opportunity here at SOH to primer your product as well as offer direct customer support. Currently there is a thread in this forum about the subject of customer support and how very few people are not happy with the "support ticket" system. So if you feel your departure from this forum along with your parting comments about advising your customer base to use the support ticket system for support issues, is going to punish us here I think you are mistaking. The only person you are alienating is yourself. Acting on emotions is never a smart business move. I would advise you to think about sticking around.

As for the people who were complaining about the paint kit-price issue. I think some of your acted prematurely and started in on the guy without fully reading what the man wrote. I am not saying this was not the thread to disagree with the guy. I think this is actually the perfect thread to disagree with the guy. What I am saying is some of the comments came across pretty pointed. There is a way to relay your disagreement without being so pointed.

I haven't had the chance to buy the F8F yet, but I will hopefully this weekend. Those of you who were saying that you do not have a paypal account. You do not have to have a paypal account to use paypal. Since VS has a PP account you just use your credit card like normal, you check out like you would at a normal online retailer. :jump:

You're assumption/observation is wrong! It's about continued immaturity by people who don't have the complete story but think they do. It's about continued criticisms with out all the facts. It's about a history of tactless people who would rather complain than constructively help. I don't blame Deano one bit for being fed up!

Here's an idea, lets get back on track, this was my F8F release thread!

CodyValkyrie
September 23rd, 2010, 22:22
I concur, let's get back on track. I would hate to see a moderator have to clean up a thread because of some misunderstandings, or even worse, lock it.

Regardless, I put in my order this evening. Can't wait to get the plane and I hope the money goes to a good cause.

Blue
September 23rd, 2010, 22:44
You're assumption is wrong!

It wasn't an assumption it was an observation. :salute:

jankees
September 23rd, 2010, 23:09
My last words on the subject:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5512.jpg

Here's looking at you, kid!

oakfloor
September 23rd, 2010, 23:40
In my opinion, yes. It's a cartoon airplane...a very nice looking one with animations that you can control...but still a cartoon airplane none-the-less. Don't take it so seriously. That's what my wife keeps telling me when I get all excited about a sim plane or a skin I do for one. It's all just a cartoon, not real life.

OBIO
A $36 cartoon..should have the correct engine..right? well maybe they take $2 less with the wrong engine, Maybe I pay with cartoon money for it.

CodyValkyrie
September 24th, 2010, 01:14
Amazing plane. I love the little details you guys added to this, and the ambience of the new sounds you added. Sweet little bird. Wish I had more time to toy with her tonight.

gradyhappyg
September 24th, 2010, 01:33
Anyones canopy fogged up on them yet?
Man I thought I had blown the engine.
LOL!

MudMarine
September 24th, 2010, 02:29
Yup, fogged mine on the first flight. That's what I get taking my girlfriend flying! :icon_lol:

gajit
September 24th, 2010, 02:34
Yes - i got fogged! This is almost as good as an A2A product without accusim :salute:

skyhawka4m
September 24th, 2010, 03:39
wuts going on here?

doublecool
September 24th, 2010, 03:47
Hot... Bearkitty

Inside and out is Spectacular

a few issues...but Deano and team will get them worked out...thats what they do

"adapt and overcome"

Thanks Vertigo Studios for this Beautiful Aircraft

hews500d
September 24th, 2010, 07:01
I'm finding it harder and harder to resist till next payday to get this one...!

Darrell

Lateral-G
September 24th, 2010, 07:38
Any idea when FSPilotshop will have it?

SpaceWeevil
September 24th, 2010, 08:01
My indifference to US Navy birds is finally at an end - what a beauty! Great model, atmospheric sound, crisp textures, lots of nice detail touches and a very good VC. I've only done a few short hops but it's a blast to fly - just as fast, sharp and agile as you'd expect. Nice one, Vertigo.

Roger
September 24th, 2010, 09:01
Well now I've got my home internet connection back (after 3 days) this is first on the list to buy!

jankees
September 24th, 2010, 09:31
My indifference to US Navy birds is finally at an end

Mine isn't (they're always blue and white, no fun in painting), but this is the paint that I was after:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5559.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5561.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5566.jpg

Indeed, since it was for a good cause, I shelved out the money for this paint. Nice one, Bruce!

skyhawka4m
September 24th, 2010, 09:55
My final post and I just want it known I too purchased the paints.

10lrrp
September 24th, 2010, 10:14
N1111L this is a repaint i think anyone could love.
google it!!
will someone take the challenge to paint it?

BOOM
September 24th, 2010, 10:51
I'm finding it harder and harder to resist till next payday to get this one...!

Darrell

Your easily compromised resistance is FUTILE!!!!!........Submit!!! I command Thee!!......MMuuuhhuuuhaa!!!!

flaviossa
September 24th, 2010, 11:01
Beautiful bird!

mal998
September 24th, 2010, 12:56
Just picked up the add-on Paint Pack. Worth every penny!

Cheers Bruce. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Roger
September 24th, 2010, 14:34
Bought the plane and the paint pack. Naysayers...go buy something else...you were given the opportunity to buy just the aircraft OR buy both for a premium! The lack of discipline here is becoming aggravating.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/F8F-1.jpg

jankees
September 24th, 2010, 21:31
you were given the opportunity to buy just the aircraft OR buy both for a premium! The lack of discipline here is becoming aggravating.

What IS this?

gajit
September 24th, 2010, 22:52
What IS this?

I agree Jankees. Just because we question something we see these comments.

SpaceWeevil
September 24th, 2010, 23:50
What IS this?

Dunno, but THIS is a splendid Bearcat that's huge fun to fly. Plus, we practically saw her born and shaped before our eyes, how great is that? I'm sorry people have got upset for various reasons - just go fly, guys!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.pnghttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

hey_moe
September 25th, 2010, 02:50
It's not that you question something is was how ya go about it. Most of the planes I have purchased didn't come with a paint program. I would suggest if you feel this isn't right you need to email the company you brought the product from.Let's try and not take this thread to another pissing contest.If you brought the plane and you don't like it....I am sorry. But let's let each member make that decision for themselves. They have a forum going on at their site and I feel your complaints would be better heard there.I'm not saying you don't have the right to be heard, I feel what needs to be changed here is the nit picking..Mike
I agree Jankees. Just because we question something we see these comments.

jim
September 25th, 2010, 03:30
OK, let's all relax a little.

Ian Warren
September 25th, 2010, 03:54
Dean , Bruce and the rest of the Vertigo team Superb ! , I regularly run mutiplays in New Zealand . be looking forward to see some Bear drivers join in :wavey:

www.nzff.org
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

LCBORDEN
September 25th, 2010, 04:16
Man, I can't believe I waited a day before plunking down the credit card and purchasing a FSX version of the F8F...Anyway that is now in the past as I am now in the list of those waiting for my download link. tick,tick,tick damn clock...tick tick tick....Thanks to those that have given great feedback on flying this new offering...I took the F6F up for an extended flight last evening to possibly help assure myself I would be happy with purchasing the F8F...I had a blast in the F6 so I am really looking forward to my download link....did I mention I have reached that age where patience is not always at its peak....tick,tick,tick damn clock....Hope those that are getting great enjoyment out of this product to continue posting their opinions... Vertigo studios Well done

Ol'Jarhead:wavey:

MudMarine
September 25th, 2010, 04:31
Got to get that Marine paint, NICE!!:jump:

Bought the plane and the paint pack. Naysayers...go buy something else...you were given the opportunity to buy just the aircraft OR buy both for a premium! The lack of discipline here is becoming aggravating.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/F8F-1.jpg

LCBORDEN
September 25th, 2010, 06:32
Dang, the Marine texture is not in the download pack.....Oh...Poop!!! well as us old marines are always doing we'll persevere to be patient..I'm pretty sure once the paint kit is opened our gang of great skinners will take to it...and at least one good Marine texture will pop out. In the mean time I'll try to get used to this new "TOY" I hope everyone enjoys their simming for many hours to come. Long story short...MY DOWNLOAD KEY IS HERE....see you later

Ol' Jarhead:wavey:

LCBORDEN
September 25th, 2010, 07:21
Thought I would go looking for the extra textures just to see if I wanted to add them right now. I could not find them on the vertigo site...or in their forums....Could someone point me in the right direction.....That's right all you old Swabbies An old Marine is asking for directions...here is your chance...:icon_lol:

Ol' Jarhead:wavey:

jankees
September 25th, 2010, 07:46
an opportunity not to be missed!

here you go, Marine: http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/F8F_Paint_addon1

GrinningJester
September 25th, 2010, 10:22
Moar screenshots!! :D :D

LCBORDEN
September 25th, 2010, 11:19
Thank you JanKees, I don't know why I couldn't find that link on their site. I appreciate your "Directing" me civily to the right place. I'm not sure I will purchase the additional textures or wait for what will certainly be outstanding ones coming from your fertile mind. In either case thank you for the link.

Ol'Jarhead:wavey:

jankees
September 25th, 2010, 11:20
You're welcome!

Before I start, I'll need a paintkit first, preferably..

meanwhile, Bruce has been busy again...

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5625.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5626.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5628.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5631.jpg

normally I'm not into fictional paints, but I like this one....

LCBORDEN
September 25th, 2010, 11:51
Jan Kees, I hope the paintkit won't be too long in coming. I'm sure Dean and everyone at vertigo are overloaded with the release of this thing. When the paintkit is available, you will turn out textures that will make us drool. I for one am looking forward to what is yet to come. Makes plunking down the money all the more enjoyable knowing you are going to texture it soon.

ol' jarhead:wavey:

spotlope
September 25th, 2010, 12:37
The Bearcat looks almost like a fat, stubby Wyvern in that scheme. :icon_lol:

bruce448
September 26th, 2010, 02:17
I am going to double post this in 2 threads only, The reason is personal why the textures I made for the Vertigo Bearcat went on sale as an add-on pack.

Currently after working full time now for nearly 28 years, I have had to made myself redundant, so that I can look after my 3 year old disabled daughter who suffers from Ceribal Palsy and mild Autism whilst my partner is in hospital for the next 4 months but to top it off the story doesn't end there my partner and I had a baby son born 5 days ago 7 weeks premature.

Dean at Vertigo offered me a viable way of bringing in some form of income to pay the bills and put food on the table.

I am not writing this for charity or sympathy but just to bring to light the private and personal circumstances behind the decision.

So maybe all the bickering and mud slinging will cease.

Bruce

Quixoticish
September 26th, 2010, 02:42
You're welcome!

Before I start, I'll need a paintkit first, preferably..

meanwhile, Bruce has been busy again...

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5625.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5626.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5628.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5631.jpg

normally I'm not into fictional paints, but I like this one....

Where, pray tell, can this be downloaded? You've just convinced me to buy the Bearcat!

bruce448
September 26th, 2010, 02:44
Where, pray tell, can this be downloaded? You've just convinced me to buy the Bearcat!

http://downloads.flightsimfiles.com/package/7828

MudMarine
September 26th, 2010, 02:52
I am going to double post this in 2 threads only, The reason is personal why the textures I made for the Vertigo Bearcat went on sale as an add-on pack.

Currently after working full time now for nearly 28 years, I have had to made myself redundant, so that I can look after my 3 year old disabled daughter who suffers from Ceribal Palsy and mild Autism whilst my partner is in hospital for the next 4 months but to top it off the story doesn't end there my partner and I had a baby son born 5 days ago 7 weeks premature.

Dean at Vertigo offered me a viable way of bringing in some form of income to pay the bills and put food on the table.

I am not writing this for charity or sympathy but just to bring to light the private and personal circumstances behind the decision.

So maybe all the bickering and mud slinging will cease.

Bruce

Thank you for reminding me of what the real important things in life are! Back on track!:salute:

BOOM
September 26th, 2010, 03:43
Bruce,I'm very sorry to hear about your recent problems,You're a Brilliant Artist Sir,I'm sure things will get better,Hang in there!Congrats on your newborn son,Hope Mom and your boy are doing ok!
Cheers!

txnetcop
September 26th, 2010, 03:57
Bruce I am sure that all the mud-slinging is over. I am truly sorry to hear about your daughter. That cannot be an easy situation. The thing is that we have so many talented painters who offer the service for free that we get spoiled. There are times I will donate to a paint if asked. It just isn't the normal way most of us look at paints. So don't think too badly of those of us in here who don't like the idea of paying for paints. In this case if I could buy the Bearcat right now I would and I would buy the paints. My wife and I have been outta full time work since June-so I have to wait.
Ted

JAllen
September 26th, 2010, 06:17
I downloaded the Bearcat and bought the paints as well. Now I read the latest post and I am pleased that I did. Thank you Bruce for sharing. AND thank you for your artwork.

Jim

spotlope
September 26th, 2010, 06:54
Your post just makes me doubly glad I bought the paints along with the plane last night, Bruce. Best of luck to you and your family. It sounds like you're going through some very trying times. :salute:

raptor19
September 26th, 2010, 10:40
Bruce,

Best of luck with any income from the additional paints and good luck on the personal front. I have purchased the additional paints and now am doubly glad that I did so. With regards to Dean, all I can say that he is one of the good guys and sincerely hope that any adverse or critical comments that have been made will soon be forgotten. I sincerely hope too that Dean will post here again. Sometimes comments are made without any thought or consideration. Thanks to both Dean (& all at Vertigo Studios) for the Bearcat and to Bruce for his excellent paints. :ernae:

Best regards,

John N.

mal998
September 26th, 2010, 10:56
It looks like the paint kit is now available: http://vertigostudios.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62

Odie
September 26th, 2010, 11:23
Bruce, great work on the paints....a bargain to add these to the hangar!

I ordered the Bearcat yesterday and within ten minutes of purchase, got the download link....good stuff.

Jankees, I thought the fictional schemes look good, too. My favorite schemes for the Grumman Cats tend to be those outside of the dark blue historical ones. To me, the dark blue scheme tends to hide the lines of the aircraft whether it be an F4F, F6F, or F8F.

While the F8F "RARE BEAR" was heavily modified for racing, the white and gold paint is a favorite that shows off the Bearcat's form nicely.

gdavej
September 26th, 2010, 18:56
I just bought the Bearcat this morning, and after reading the post from Bruce, decided to get the paint expansion pack as well. Looks really good, well worth the money,especially if it can help a little with Bruce's financial woes. Hope life improves for Bruce.

danyboy21
September 26th, 2010, 19:59
After all, your work deserves payment.

The texture pack is well worth its 10$.

I'm crazy "Saintonge". My dad was a mechanic on this unit in 1952 in Vietnam.

And from what I read, I do not really regret having bought it.

I think that to avoid any controversy should have been integrated into the texture plane base and raise the price accordingly.

Bruce, I wish you good luck.

Daniel

CodyValkyrie
September 27th, 2010, 04:25
I bought the paint package. Worth it in my opinion. Enjoy the $$ friends.

A26
September 27th, 2010, 08:07
I attempted to purchase the Bear, but it say I can only use paypal. I don't have an account, but wants me enter my password and ID. What do I do, I want it but can't. Its like putting a child in front of a candy story and not letting the kid go inside and get something. It SUCKS!

a26

mal998
September 27th, 2010, 08:53
Put the item you wish to buy in your Cart and proceed to checkout.

Then, set up a PayPal account with a user name and password and login.

At that point you can choose to pay using a credit card.

Lateral-G
September 27th, 2010, 10:37
still no idea when this will be available a FSpilotshop.com?

A26
September 27th, 2010, 21:05
I think thats what I tried, but I'll give it a test after work tonight. Cheers.....

a26

Cirrus N210MS
September 28th, 2010, 11:26
wow cool may have to pickup a copy soon:salute:

jankees
September 28th, 2010, 12:54
Here's a very early wip shot of what I'm working on...

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5676.jpg

LCBORDEN
September 29th, 2010, 05:11
Whhhhhoooooo HHoooooooooo, Jan Kees is making textures for the F8F....yippee.....wheeeee

Ol'jarhead:wavey:

jankees
September 29th, 2010, 11:25
hang on, I just started...

First a french one as you see. I like them, because they were very dirty and weathered when they were used at Diem Bien Phu. Not like those shiny navy birds...

Here's more progress shots, I'm currently peeling paint off the fuselage, haven't started on the wings yet....

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5686.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5682.jpg

This one looks neat as well:

does anyone know the registration, or know of more pics?

bruce448
September 29th, 2010, 11:59
Looking good,bad or is it dirty?

Bruce

VCN-1
September 29th, 2010, 13:06
I just saw this at Vertigo Studios.

Can't believe there will be a VCN-1 bird.
Not sure if it is world famous though.
Pleading and grovelling sometimes works.

http://vertigostudios.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=94

VCN-1

skyhawka4m
September 29th, 2010, 19:49
Russ's work looks very nice!

I'm actually hoping someone will make clean fuel tanks that match the color of the clean NAVY birds, and the Civil birds also.

bruce448
September 30th, 2010, 00:34
Russ's work looks very nice!

I'm actually hoping someone will make clean fuel tanks that match the color of the clean NAVY birds, and the Civil birds also.

well if you go over to VS forum site you will find them there look in the resources thread.

alehead
September 30th, 2010, 02:36
Picked up the F8F a couple of days ago now. I love the VC and aircraft model, and the way the propeller is modelled is amazing, looks so real, particularly when feathering...

I have a couple of questions though. I get left wing drop on take off, I am assuming a result of the torque of the R2800? I read an article by John Deakin on flying the F8F, and he mentions a lot of right aileron is required on take off to keep the left wing up...

Also, I have been getting uncommanded banking, to the right mostly, while in the air. I have been testing various settings with ASE, including DWC and not, FSUIPC smoothing on and off, but cannot really pinpoint one source. Perhaps the realism settings? I have mine all at full right... again A2A settings are the culprit there I suppose...

And finally, I feel the rudder is ineffective on the ground. Given that the ground taxi capabilities of the A2A P47 and J3 are excellent, and throttle with rudder can easily turn them with little braking interaction, I wonder if I am doing something wrong here. I would have expected the F8F rudder to be more effective on the ground than it is... oh, I have the tail wheel lock off, just in case anyone is wondering :)

Thanks for any help or feedback

Andrew

skyhawka4m
September 30th, 2010, 03:42
well if you go over to VS forum site you will find them there look in the resources thread.

Ahh ok....cool..thank you Bruce!

mal998
September 30th, 2010, 05:21
And finally, I feel the rudder is ineffective on the ground. Given that the ground taxi capabilities of the A2A P47 and J3 are excellent, and throttle with rudder can easily turn them with little braking interaction, I wonder if I am doing something wrong here. I would have expected the F8F rudder to be more effective on the ground than it is... oh, I have the tail wheel lock off, just in case anyone is wondering :)

Open up the aircraft.cfg and take a look at the [contact_points] heading. There, you will find an adjustment/choice for tail wheel steer. Adjust it based on your preference.

[contact_points]
//0 Class
//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
//2 Lateral Position (feet)
//3 Vertical Position (feet)
//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
//6 Wheel Radius (feet)
//7 Steer Angle (degrees)
//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
//9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
//10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
//11 Extension Time (seconds)
//12 Retraction Time (seconds)
//13 Sound Type
//14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS)
//15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

point.0=1, -14.87, 0.00, -2.77, 3200, 0, 0.40, 45.0, 0.25, 2.5, 0.90, 3.0, 3.0, 0, 0, 235
//Replace contact_point.0 below with the one above if you want a steerable tailwheel. You may comment out the one below with // and activate the one above by removing the //
//point.0=1, -14.87, 0.00, -2.75, 3200, 0, 0.40, 180.0, 0.25, 2.5, 0.90, 3.0, 3.0, 0, 0, 235
point.1=1, 3.20, -5.75, -7.05, 2200, 1, 1.13, 0.0, 0.75, 2.5, 0.83, 3.25, 7.25, 2, 0,235
point.2=1, 3.20, 5.75, -7.05, 2200, 2, 1.13, 0.0, 0.75, 2.5, 0.83, 3.55, 7.45, 3, 0,235

YoYo
September 30th, 2010, 07:23
Hello, Have a question. Any user of F8F 1.0 of Bearcat has a CTD when finish a fly and put End of Flight, next End of FS (or quick Ctrl+C) ? I notced this only when in the end my plane was F8F. If not, no problem. No any write about this, so I think its only my problem?

BOOM
September 30th, 2010, 07:42
YoYo,I have the same problem,I believe Vertigo know about this and will be fixed in upcoming patch.

ramsa329
September 30th, 2010, 07:43
Hello, Have a question. Any user of F8F 1.0 of Bearcat has a CTD when finish a fly and put End of Flight, next End of FS (or quick Ctrl+C) ? I notced this only when in the end my plane was F8F. If not, no problem. No any write about this, so I think its only my problem?

I also have the same problem

SpaceWeevil
September 30th, 2010, 07:46
Picked up the F8F a couple of days ago now. I love the VC and aircraft model, and the way the propeller is modelled is amazing, looks so real, particularly when feathering...

I have a couple of questions though. I get left wing drop on take off, I am assuming a result of the torque of the R2800? I read an article by John Deakin on flying the F8F, and he mentions a lot of right aileron is required on take off to keep the left wing up...

Also, I have been getting uncommanded banking, to the right mostly, while in the air. I have been testing various settings with ASE, including DWC and not, FSUIPC smoothing on and off, but cannot really pinpoint one source. Perhaps the realism settings? I have mine all at full right... again A2A settings are the culprit there I suppose...

Thanks for any help or feedback

Andrew

If you have the tailwheel lock off, it's actually ON because the labels are the wrong way round! I put in a Support Ticket about it and got a nice reply, and it will be fixed. Taxying at a fairly constant throttle (as recommended) still needs some use of brakes to turn smartly. I'm still loving this - for 'display' flying it takes some beating.

alehead
September 30th, 2010, 08:59
Cheers for the tips... I hadn't noticed the second line in the aircraft.cfg to "turn off" the castoring tailwheel... I'll see what difference it makes to ground handling...

I was aware of the tailwheel lock indicator being reversed, when in unlocked the wheel is actually locked, but thanks for mentioning it, it could have been a source of the problem, had I not known about it :)

What I meant though was the slipstream effect you get in the A2A taildraggers.

From John Deakin's account on AVWeb of flying the F8F, I understand that little braking was necessary for taxi and the air slipstream over the rudder was enough to turn it with rudder deflection.

To my other issue with flight instability, testing various settings for ASE I am slowly getting to the point I can say that the F8F is stable straight and level with winds, it may be associated with wind smoothing in FSUIPC and DWC being active...

I have also noticed the CTD on exiting with the F8F... but as has been mentioned, it is already on the list and is being looked into no doubt...

However, I find the max manifold pressure of 30 inches on takeoff to be far too low...

Further testing... I found that the MP in the aircraft config appears to be halved by the gauge. 60 is entered as max MP, and the max I get in sim is 30... I tried 120 and got 60 as max MP... I am sure the aircraft.cfg gurus will be able to explain this certainly better than I can...

Andrew

jankees
October 1st, 2010, 08:42
I have no CTD's luckily, but I do continue with my first paint. I'm still getting to grips with the shine on this bird, here's the next batch of WiP shots.
Ignore the wings, but look at the fuselage instead.
- What do you think, too shiny, or just right?
Compared to the wings (OK, you may look at them now..)?
- Weathering OK? Dirty enough, too much or not enough?
- More scratching?

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5716.jpg
larger pic (http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5716.jpg)
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5721.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5723.jpg

Cleartheprop
October 1st, 2010, 09:56
I have no CTD's luckily, but I do continue with my first paint. I'm still getting to grips with the shine on this bird, here's the next batch of WiP shots.
Ignore the wings, but look at the fuselage instead.
- What do you think, too shiny, or just right?
Compared to the wings (OK, you may look at them now..)?
- Weathering OK? Dirty enough, too much or not enough?
- More scratching?

I think the Weathering is great (scratches on the "H" are terrific.)

YoYo
October 1st, 2010, 11:16
@ jankees : For me, two this things: Weathering and Dirty is ok, some of airplanes, especially Franch in first Vietnam War has a very big usage.

About others bugs for me:

- I think tail wheel is blocked all the time, I must do a big circle (more than B-17 of A2A) to turn the airplane
- problem is too with Radio compass in F8F. When I put digits of ADF/NDB (good frequency) the arrow in Radio Compas shows wrong way
- http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4603/nowy1n.jpg see too this screen. It was done after cold start: temperature is to high - oil and cylinders
- about CTD: FSX Acceleration SP2, Vista Home Edition 64bits

chears!

I will do a paint for "O" French version F8F1. Screens will be soon, simply paint but must check this paintkit from Vertigo. New paint I will add to Avsim/Flightsim.
As You see here weathering will be BIG ;)

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2990/bearcatpilote36roussill.jpg

OleBoy
October 1st, 2010, 13:13
Now that this has been out a while, and all the great feedback, this will be my first hopefully not too complex military model purchase.
.......I got it down for the middle of the month.

I don't care for the standard Navy/Marine paints as I'll be buying them for the more vibrant colors. I will be purchasing the added paints also.

jankees
October 1st, 2010, 13:54
I've been chipping paint off the wings too:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5730.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5740.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5747.jpg

interesting shot Yoyo, good luck on the paint!

YoYo
October 1st, 2010, 15:23
jankees looks very well! I like him! :salute:

We have very similar skins ;), still in wip process :

Check this picture. H and O it was F8F-1B version:
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8145/0482bearcaterom80recadr.jpg

YoYo
October 2nd, 2010, 05:26
Still wip, but some hours after ;)
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2425/nowy3e.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9937/wipproject.jpg

hews500d
October 2nd, 2010, 05:57
I love those worn, chipped paints! Just bought this one and off to download, looking forward to the first flight :)

Darrell

THibben
October 2nd, 2010, 06:15
The most bothersome problem I am having is with starting. When I first load the aircraft it will sometimes start with a Ctrl-E but if I try a manual start it just grinds and semi starts then smokes then shuts down and starts the procedure all over again. It acts like the starter doesn't stay engaged longe enough to start. When it gets into this mode the FPS will drop from 20 plus to 2. I am following the check list starting procedure to the letter except turning on the generator switch, which there doesn't seem to be one. If I have been flying then land and shut down, then try and start again, at times it won't start at all.

A couple of other nits, the oil temp, cylinder head temp and fuel quanity gauges are always at max. Engine on or off and power on or off.

Once I get it started it is a great plane to fly.

My system is an i7 CPU oc to 3.7, 6G Mem, ATI Radeon HD 5850 and Win 7 64bit ultimate. FSX,SP2 and DX10

Thanks for any info,

Tom

skyblazer3
October 2nd, 2010, 14:04
I've been enjoying the bearcat, but it seems very underpowered. Flight Dynamics could use some work. In a clean aircraft I can only get up to about 300 knots indicated on the deck. Manifold pressure tops out at 30 inches, and when I pull the prop pitch back from full to 2350 RPM it actually slows down the aircraft. Mixture does not seem to affect anything.

I like the solid, heavy feel of the aircraft, but it is a bit too heavy. At full pull I struggle to get 3 Gs out of her at top speed. Very difficult to do anything aerobatic with it.

Great model though, and I'm sure these things, as well as the CTD, and model problems will be solved in the patch.

Thanks Vertigo for a great bird with great potential,

Chris Eells

jankees
October 3rd, 2010, 00:54
a few more wip shots, nearly there I think, unless you guys spot anything?
Looks good with the big guns too!

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5831.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5835.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5836.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5838.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5842.jpg

warchild
October 3rd, 2010, 07:47
Jan.. that looks fantastic.. :) :0 .. i love the chipped paint appearance..

YoYo
October 3rd, 2010, 12:47
Will be uploaded tomorrow or after tomorrow.
1950 Vietnam, French Indochinian War, Number 1465, 'O" from 3/6 Roussillon, . Pilot S.C Torrés

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8726/f8fbearcat9.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2646/f8fbearcat13.jpg
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4074/f8fbearcat15.jpg
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2194/f8fbearcat7.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9800/f8fbearcat1.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4535/f8fbearcat14.jpg

delta_lima
October 3rd, 2010, 20:12
Jankees and YoYo - gents, your work is amazing. The weathered effects look awesome - and I know it's hard work to make it look realistic. Both of you have nailed it wonderfully.

I know it's a major stretch, but I'm wondering if after all the real world paints, one of you guys might have an itch for a "could have been" ... given that there is no FSX Sea Fury in the foreseable future. The lines of the Bearcat would, in my view, lend themselves nicely to something like this, don't you think:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/Fig%2019.jpg

Some more in the family are here:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/seafurycandiancolorsjh_6.htm

Imagine of VS had modeled a racer version with the prop spinner cover ... would really have made a neat alternative to the Sea Fury, no?

Anyway, great work gents - looking forward to what else you have coming.

cheers,

dl

YoYo
October 4th, 2010, 08:02
Perhaps better will be this one ;) http://simflight3d.com/Sea_Fury_gallery/Sea_Fury_Gallery.html ?

Any try to add Shockwave lights 3D Redux for F8F of Vertigo?
In Vertigo model Lights are good, but Id like to improve Landing Light for this bird.
No posision [Lights] in aircraft.cfg as normal. It looks like this:

[LIGHTS]
light.0 = 10, -2.66, 0.00, 4.43, fx_vclight

Thats all.

jankees
October 6th, 2010, 05:03
after the extreme weathering of the French version, here's a clean one.
I never liked that red bar in the roundel, so here's a early one without it, VF-18 I believe..

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5970.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5968.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5967.jpg

skyhawka4m
October 6th, 2010, 05:28
wow...very nice. Jankees I have a request.....I am still trying to find the one shot I've ever seen of it but I'd like to have one done for a base near me, Johnsville NADC in Warminster, Pa. I know the markings are very simple. Mainly just a JOHNS-
VILLE on the top left wing and lower right wing, and also on the tail the complete name JOHNSVILLE. I have been hunting high and low and can't find my image. I will stop by the air museum this week and see if they have an image of it so I can sure up the markings and aircraft number.

I know it doesn't show in the post but the wing JOHNS- is overtop the VILLE

I believe it looked very much like this overall red Hellcat. Maybe Bruce448 or yourself could do this one also? If not hopefully after I get my A-10 stuff done I'll be able to do them.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/PA/Johnsville_PA_F6F-5K.jpg

john

skyhawka4m
October 6th, 2010, 05:42
2067620675and a couple suggestions for the Bearcat.....

bruce448
October 6th, 2010, 06:52
Here's a few more pics of the Quantico and the Johnsville aircraft,

20681 20679

and for the few sceptics out there a couple shots of the bearcat operating off carriers with bare metal exhausts and white boarding step lines on the stbd side.
20680 20677

PS the Glenview paint is in the addon texture pack.

Bruce

jankees
October 6th, 2010, 07:25
I'd completely forgotten to put the 18 on the nose:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5979.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5980.jpg

and while I was at it, I did a VF-19 version as well. These guys almost made it into combat, USS langley was already en route in the Pacific when Japan capitulated..

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5981.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5986.jpg

jankees
October 6th, 2010, 08:10
two more pics, coz I like'em:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX5998.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX6000.jpg

skyhawka4m
October 6th, 2010, 08:42
Jankees...looking awesome!!!! Bruce thats the shot I wass looking for sir on the Johnsville aircraft.! Thank you!

YoYo
October 6th, 2010, 08:47
Jankees, please check Your PW :) .

Helldiver
October 7th, 2010, 03:10
I fought to make the tail hook wider, get the canopy to be in the right shape, get a real shine on the aircarft and to get a pilot that would fit.
I never got them to abandon the back frame on the canopy. Although the many hundreds of F8-Fs I saw, - never had it.
I suppose you can't win them all but I wish they would allow for the option of a frameless canopy for us purists.

skyblazer3
October 7th, 2010, 03:19
One of about a dozen things that needs to be fixed in the patch before I will feel that the aircraft is safe enough to fly. I have faith that they will take care of it though, they've done good work before.
:salute::salute:

flaviossa
October 7th, 2010, 06:19
I bought the Bear today using paypal in vertigo site. But, i´m not granted option to download it until now. In other words, i can´t download the files or see the serial yet. The purchase is there, but without links. Just a "Available upon order completion" sign .... but it´s completed in paypal already.
So, you guys that bought it before, is it normal this delay, or the links appeared automatically for you after paying as most of download content works?

It´s just a question, no big deal!!! :mixedsmi:
Thanks.

mal998
October 7th, 2010, 06:23
Check your email for documents, keys, receipts, and instructions/links to download.

flaviossa
October 7th, 2010, 06:27
Yep, i recieve one email from them with a "Your Order at Vertigo Studios" only with the purchase order#, the order summary and my data. But no links to download the bear and no serial.

I think i´ll wait a bit more ... maybe paypal purchase needs a re-confirmation from them, who knows.

I´ll wait. Thanks!

mal998
October 7th, 2010, 06:53
try signing into your account page at Vertigo to see if there is a link for download.

flaviossa
October 7th, 2010, 07:35
Ahh... they updated my purchase page! Now the links are there.

Thanks mal998! :salute:

skyblazer3
October 7th, 2010, 09:40
I think they approve each one by hand. Mine took about 4 or 5 hours..... I was worried about it too, but it all worked out.:salute:

oakfloor
October 7th, 2010, 09:44
I fought to make the tail hook wider, get the canopy to be in the right shape, get a real shine on the aircarft and to get a pilot that would fit.
I never got them to abandon the back frame on the canopy. Although the many hundreds of F8-Fs I saw, - never had it.
I suppose you can't win them all but I wish they would allow for the option of a frameless canopy for us purists.

Dont forget it has the wrong engine too, oh well it still looks like fun. I will wait until the updated patches come out to purchase.

jankees
October 9th, 2010, 11:58
I just uploaded two more paints:

VF-18 (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1394-vertigo-f8f-bearcat-vf-18-k18/)

and VF-19 (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1395-vertigo-f8f-bearcat-vf-19-327/)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX6003.jpg

hope you enjoy them..

ZsoltB
October 10th, 2010, 05:06
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/319/bearcat2.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/i/bearcat2.jpg/)
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/8529/bearcat3.jpg (http://img704.imageshack.us/i/bearcat3.jpg/)
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3783/bearcat4.jpg (http://img812.imageshack.us/i/bearcat4.jpg/)

ZsoltB
October 10th, 2010, 05:39

Where can I find this painting?

OleBoy
October 10th, 2010, 05:58

Where can I find this painting?

Why repainters post shots of their work here and not upload to the SOH libraries is ridiculous.

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1388-vertigo-f8f-bearcat-french-air-force-1482/

Odie
October 10th, 2010, 06:05
I just uploaded two more paints:

VF-18 (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1394-vertigo-f8f-bearcat-vf-18-k18/)

and VF-19 (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1395-vertigo-f8f-bearcat-vf-19-327/)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX6003.jpg

hope you enjoy them..

WOW.....nuff said! Thank you sir.

jankees
October 10th, 2010, 06:15
Why repainters post shots of their work here and not upload to the SOH libraries is ridiculous.

because the search function of the SOH libraries is ridiculous.
I can not even find my own paints, except in the archives. I completely fail to see the point of a library where you can not find anything, sorry.

Nice shots, Zsolt, thank you!

edit: for comparison: 3 clicks give you a list all 475 of my paints in the archives. Now try and tell me how many I have in the new library....I have no idea

OleBoy
October 10th, 2010, 06:56
I can not even find my own paints, except in the archives. I completely fail to see the point of a library where you can not find anything, sorry.

Good point. That needs to get fixed. The longer the wait to begin, the more work it is. I can't see anything relevant like that happening at this point.

tommieboy
October 10th, 2010, 07:51

I know, it's a complete waste of time and effort.....

Tommy

SolarEagle
October 10th, 2010, 08:17

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1388-vertigo-f8f-bearcat-french-air-force-1482/

Perhaps be glad its been uploaded at all. I know there's at least one guy out there who doesn't even share his work, except to say "look what I made, but you can't have it". Must be an ego trip of some kind. lol

delta_lima
October 10th, 2010, 20:39
Moving right along to something a bit more positive ...

Bruce, you did a lovely "what if" Royal Navy FAA paint for this bird ... can you (or anyone else_ please point me to where I can find that?

many thanks

dl

Tako_Kichi
October 10th, 2010, 21:38
Bruce, you did a lovely "what if" Royal Navy FAA paint for this bird ... can you (or anyone else_ please point me to where I can find that?
They can be found here....

...but you need to register at that site to get them.

ZsoltB
October 10th, 2010, 22:37
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1981/vglap01.jpg

delta_lima
October 11th, 2010, 10:26
They can be found here....

...but you need to register at that site to get them.

Got it - many thanks!

dl

peter12213
October 11th, 2010, 15:42
Does anyone else think the elevator effectivness needs tweaked? I find this can't turn very tight and I thought it was able too or is this just me?

skyblazer3
October 11th, 2010, 16:59
I can only get 3.0 Gs at full pull and corner speed..... they are working on a pretty comprehensive patch. There are about a dozen things wrong with the Bearcat that need to be addessed before I will take it out of the hanger again.

Great aircraft with great potential, but unsafe to fly as it is now.

Try doing a loop with it and look at the way the G forces work.... you'll see what I mean.

Chris:salute:

peter12213
October 11th, 2010, 17:18
Yeah I know what you mean chris but looking forward to the update!

skyhawka4m
October 11th, 2010, 18:37
I tend to agree....

italoc
October 13th, 2010, 05:38
Hi Deano

do you think is there any chance that your Bearcat could be available, for purchase, outside your site? (FlightSim, Simmarket or else):wiggle:
Not that I dont like your site, on the contrary .... I dont like PayPalhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon28.gif ...or they dont like me http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon8.gif

Italo

AckAck
October 13th, 2010, 06:20

Nice shots, Zsolt, thank you!

edit: for comparison: 3 clicks give you a list all 475 of my paints in the archives. Now try and tell me how many I have in the new library....I have no idea

You have 12, all A2A B-17s. Also three clicks - Add-ons index, search, username.

Perhaps I'm not trying hard enough, but I don't see the library as having a huge issue - it's easier to find stuff in this version than the last. Maybe the issue is that there aren't any FSX Bearcats in it. :engel016:

Brian

jankees
October 13th, 2010, 06:28
well, whaddaya know??

One button I never saw...
so maybe i should restart uploading here?

expat
October 13th, 2010, 07:29
I don't see the library as having a huge issue - it's easier to find stuff in this version than the last. Maybe the issue is that there aren't any FSX Bearcats in it.

Search by author can be useful - at times - but what other FS files library does NOT allow to simply search by the file's subject name?? If this is not correct, can anyone tell me how to do it?

AckAck
October 13th, 2010, 08:04
Search by author can be useful - at times - but what other FS files library does NOT allow to simply search by the file's subject name?? If this is not correct, can anyone tell me how to do it?

Add-on index, search, type in whatever you are looking for in the "search text" field, narrow it down (e.g. if you are looking for FSX planes only) in the "search category" pane, click search.

If you are looking for "bearcat" and don't narrow it down, you get 12 results - two are actually Bearcats, the other ten have something on them done by Bearcat241. All are CFS2.

(Albatross returns 5 hits, but no flying boats... Grumman returns 2520 entries - may need to filter those.)

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the search function has improved greatly recently. I don't know if we need to thank Rami for it, but it has much better functionality than before.

Brian

expat
October 14th, 2010, 03:57
Thanks Brian. Going off to practice (agani) now ..

expat
October 14th, 2010, 04:02
Hmm. I must be a moron. I tried typing in "Hellcat" and narrowed the search to FS categories, and just got a whole list of random files:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php

expat
October 14th, 2010, 04:04
and searching for "bearcat", I got this result,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php

expat
October 14th, 2010, 04:09
Sorry, those searches pulled up random downloads for P-40's, Skyraiders and all sorts of stuff but no Bearcats or Hellcats.

expat
October 14th, 2010, 07:36
OK, it seems to work now. Thanks very much for the tip. Maybe I was not waiting the full 20 seconds between searches - the warning flashes on and off quickly, so I thought I was getting no search results or functionality each time. There is so much here in the library and it is great to now know how to make the most of it.

mal998
October 14th, 2010, 07:38
Lee,

Some of Russell R. Smith's Bearcat paints are over at Flightsim.com, so are Bruce Martin's, Search author and/or Bearcat, Hellcat.

Also check Vertigo's download page for more Hellcat paints.

Also check avsim under Vertigo studios and/or author's names.

jankees
October 14th, 2010, 08:12
and I have three over on OZX/avsim

expat
October 14th, 2010, 09:58
Thanks guys. Found and got 'em all.

Just picked up both the Vertigo Hellcat and Bearcat and really enjoying them both.

expat

BOOM
October 17th, 2010, 07:27
Can't wait for "The F9F PANTHER" :jump: But I'm really enjoying The F8F!!

Cazzie
October 20th, 2010, 18:03
I know a Blue Angels paint is included in the package, but I wanted one with the polished metal leading edges on the wings and tails from the 1948 season, so I did flight leader Lt. Cmdr. Dusty Rhodes' Bearcat from that season. It's here at SOH only.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&linkid=2777

Caz

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/bearcat_4.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/bearcat_3.jpg

skyhawka4m
October 20th, 2010, 18:23
very nice!!!

Is it me or is there a ridge on the side of this model? right down the middle of the US NAVY.....I noticed it on other paints but its very noticable here.

Bomber_12th
October 20th, 2010, 19:11
very nice!!!

Is it me or is there a ridge on the side of this model? right down the middle of the US NAVY.....I noticed it on other paints but its very noticable here.

I especially notice it in screenshots when you look at the white hand-hold line on the stock-Navy schemes.

I still haven't gotten this aircraft, yet...I read earlier in this thread that the MP doesn't go over about 30-inches, is this true for everyone?

flaviossa
October 21st, 2010, 03:24
There is going to be a new version/patch that will resolve most of the issues ... but VStudios didn´t release a list of the corrections yet. Let´s wait!

skyhawka4m
October 21st, 2010, 03:54
I'm more than will;ing and waiting. I still love this plane even with the minor issues,.....I have faith that they will be fixed.

As to the MP.....i also have the 30 on mine.

Helldiver
October 22nd, 2010, 06:30
2184621847With all due respect to Cazzie's picture of the 1948 "Blue Angels", this is as Cmdr Rhodes plane looked like in 1948. I know. I've cleaned the oil off the belly of this airplane in 110 degree Florida heat. I'm including a picture of the team in 1948 showing Dusty in the center and the nose of the Bearcat without the "Blue Angels" on it.

skyhawka4m
October 22nd, 2010, 07:23
somewhere I will find the shot I believe Cazzie used for his paint. It may have been one I post herre in this thread somewhere. While he may not have the correct date info I do know there were baremetal leading edges at least at some point while they had bearcats.

Helldiver
October 22nd, 2010, 14:04
It would have been after June when I left the Navy. I thought the bare leading edges only came out with the oil burners. I didn't know any of the real airplanes had bare leading edges.

peter12213
October 22nd, 2010, 15:22
Well I don't know what the problem is, Helldiver knew those officers serviced and probably knew those aircraft like the back of his hand, why even question him in my opinion?

PRB
October 22nd, 2010, 16:31
There was never a doubt in my mind that Helldiver was correct about the “Blue Angels” not painted on the cowl. Nor did it bother me that there are photographs of these same planes with the “Blue Angels” painted on the cowl. What we have to remember here is that any set of planes in service with a squadron for a couple years will undergo several “paint configurations” and one photograph does not establish the one and only way the planes must be depicted. In the time the Bearcats were with the Blue Angels, there were probably a couple more paint configurations we haven't seen yet. It's all good. Lets paint all of them!

Helldiver
October 22nd, 2010, 17:20
Thats true. Between 1946 and 1948 they had four versions of Bearcats. The first ones only lasted about a month. They were so nose heavy that we had to wrap 200 pounds of lead around the tail hook. The second one had engine problems and lasted about 3 months. The next one had plastic wing tips and one of them flew off when Robbie Robinson augered into the runway at Jax. But at least Grumman gave them the best off the line.

Cazzie
October 22nd, 2010, 19:25
In truth Helldiver, there were 17 F8F-1 Beacats to serve with the Blue Angels between late 1946 season midway through the 1949 season.

Are you sure you are not speaking of 1946 or 1947 season Bearcats HD? The first Bearcats to have the scripted Blue Angels team name on the cowling was early during the 1948 season. This script is carried on to this day. I have two references to Blue Angel Bearcats and both state that the team name was applied for the 1948 season and carried over through the 1949 season until the team transitioned to Panther jets. In truth, I should close off the gun ports. In my plastic modeling zen, i would never be permitted to not do so. But the sim community is more forgiving on the whole. And most of the time, together we generally work out a solution. I bummed about Vertigo's F6F-3/% Hellcat series nit having the correct 18-cyinger P & W 2800 radial, seems the Bearcat suffers such injustice also. Noth had two banks of seven cylinders. Picking nit off sweaters, I know, and one really can't see the engines that well, particularly in the Bearcat. But of the two, the Bearcat is an absolute delight to fly. She does all commands just right, even landing is not at all difficult. I find landing low speed rag wings much harder.

It's a great work mates, save the radial, and of an aircraft that has always been close to my heart. It's entire VC layout and view from the bubble canopy make flying from the VC all the more real and sensible.

I did the additional Blue Angel paint using Dino's kit, have a couple more in mind. I never worked of F8Fs like HD, but I saw 'em when I was just a kid and just something about that stubby little airplane burned a cockle in my heart.

The wing tip failures you speak of were the shear-off tips, which were removed from many Bearcats and replaced with metal on others.

Attached are two photos of Blue Angels Bearcats; the first during the 1948 season, the later during the first half of the 1949 season.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/bear_48_1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/bear_48_2.jpg

Helldiver
October 22nd, 2010, 23:39
They would have been after June of 1948 when I got discharged. The wings were painted blue and no Blue Angels script was on the cowl. Furthermore there were no back braces in the cockpit. I only saw them once and that was the first ones that were nose heavy,

dswo
October 27th, 2010, 16:26
Patch seems to be available now:

With the recent release of F8F Bearcat we're pleased to announce that we have compiled a list of reports which our customers have so kindly sent in.

Without your dedication and input it wouldn't be possible for us to continue which we hope are high end products.

The comprehensive list of corrections and also small additions are as follows:

1. Resolved crash-to-desktop when changing aircraft.
2. Smoothened out fuselage side on all models.
3. Rewritten automatic pilot logic to correct issues with selecting roll amount.
4. Added multiplayer model set.
5. Added new thumbnails to illustrate 'normal' and multiplayer models.
6. Removed rear canopy brace on F8F-1 models.
7. Rewritten fuel system logic to correct fuel usage issues.
8. Added feature to show fuel depletion in real time via the configuration editor.
9. Added 2D pop-up automatic pilot control.
10. Redone rudder pedal animation in VC.
11. Corrected tail wheel lock lever animation.
12. Corrected oil flap lever animation.
13. Corrected landing gear lever animation.
14. Extended landing and approach light splashes to cover both wing areas.
15. Corrected magneto function.
16. Increased fuel pressure value.
17. Added animation to fuel pressure gauge to show fuel pressure increase when electric pump is used.
18. Corrected transparent canopy rail under-surface in VC.
19. Corrected radio compass needle animation.
20. Corrected engine condition gauge to resolve issues with pressure and temperature indicators.
21. Corrected CHT gauge animation.
22. Corrected manifold pressure gauge animation.
23. Increased elevator authority. This will now allow roughly 5 Gs depending on speed and type of maneuver.

NOTE: If you're a current customer, simply download the F8F again from your account, un-install your current installation and reinstall with the same license key.
For those that have exceeded your maximum download limits, simply contact us through our ticket support system and present your email address and account details in order for your Download Limits to be corrected.

peter12213
October 27th, 2010, 17:46
Great seems like everything has been done!

skyblazer3
October 27th, 2010, 17:53
We'll see how she flies.....

Cosmetic fixes look great, but I think this might be one that the community has to do the final work on.

cautiously optimistic at the moment,

Chris

skyblazer3
October 27th, 2010, 20:21
I've been pretty critical of Vertigo for this F8F as it was pre-patch --- but all is forgiven with this patch. The aircraft flies very well now, looks great, and functions properly. They've made a 100% satisfied customer out of me.

If anyone was on the fence about this aircraft, I suggest they purchase it when able. They are now getting an aircraft that truly deserves the vertigo name and will live up to their expectations.

Cheers,

Chris:salute:

skyhawka4m
October 27th, 2010, 20:23
Well.... downloaded 1.1 and flew it and I love it. All the issues I had are gone. Great job Vertigo Studios!

I have one request......can someone help me with adding a light hint of exaust smoke while in flight?

skyblazer3
October 27th, 2010, 20:49
I feel like I have to post again just to let everyone know how happy I am with this aircraft. I was so upset when it first came out because I had put this airplane on a high pedestal, and was disappointed when it did not live up. After the patch, it deserves its place on a high pedestal.

Has anyone had problems with clicking the battery switch on in the VC? I've had to use a keyboard command, then it will click on and off ok. Maybe i'm missing a step.

Cheers,

Chris

YoYo
October 27th, 2010, 22:33
I download now!

Helldiver
October 28th, 2010, 00:32
Skyhawk, With a good clean engine and it properly leaned back there was no exhaust smoke. Only during starting and full rich conditions would there be any smoke.

mal998
October 28th, 2010, 05:31
Patch is out...Superb job by Dean and Team!

Cazzie
October 28th, 2010, 06:46
Haven't seen the patch in the forum at Vertigo yet mal, but it is extensive. I just wish they would replace both the Hellcat and Bearcat with 18-cylinder radials in lieu of the 14-cylinder radials they possess. It is something I can live without, but being an anal plastic modeler and dare I say, a judge to boot, I pay attention to things like that.

Edit: my bad, patch is out, you have to re-download the F8F Installer through one's account, I see it is now Version 1.1, doing so now.

Caz

italoc
October 31st, 2010, 06:59
Happy Halloween to everybody at Vertigo and , of course, at SOH

Simple question:

I've just downloaded (yesterday) F8F from FlightSim.Com and very happy but I would like to know if Patch 1.1 has been included in it ?????
Thanks
Italo

Cazzie
October 31st, 2010, 07:23

Simple question:

I've just downloaded (yesterday) F8F from FlightSim.Com and very happy but I would like to know if Patch 1.1 has been included in it ?????
Thanks
Italo

Your download at My Account should say Version 1.1.exe italo. I had Version 1.0 and downloaded version 1.1 yesterday. I uninstalled version 1.0 and reinstalled Version 1.1. Since I had the paint expansion pack, I had to uninstall that and reinstall it again too.

I love the airplane, it is rather easy to fly, will get you there fast too.

Caz

bruce448
October 31st, 2010, 07:23

Simple question:

Thanks
Italo

If you open up the aircraft.cfg the header should read

// VERTIGO STUDIOS
// GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
// VERSION 1.1.22102010
// FSX

Bruce

PRB
October 31st, 2010, 07:27
Just bought mine a couple of hours ago, and that's what's in the aircraft.cfg. Thanks, Bruce.

italoc
October 31st, 2010, 10:04
If you open up the aircraft.cfg the header should read

// VERTIGO STUDIOS
// GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
// VERSION 1.1.22102010
// FSX

Bruce

Thank you all
Everything clear now: I've got V 1.1 allright.
Going to fly ... extensively now:salute:
Ciao
Italo

flaviossa
October 31st, 2010, 14:57
Beware that if you have the repaints package (Downloaded after the release of 1.1) the header of the .cfg will go back to this:
// VERTIGO STUDIOS
// GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
// VERSION 1.0.22092010
// FSX

If you have only the bear without the repaints package it will be like this:
// VERTIGO STUDIOS
// GRUMMAN F8F BEARCAT
// VERSION 1.1.22102010
// FSX

I´m only telling this because i read the above posts and looking for mine it was: VERSION 1.0.22092010 even after the installation of 1.1 + repaints package. So i uninstalled all the package and reinstalled it again looking for the .cfg headers after each install. And i discovered the above.

Maybe this information avoid people reinstall it all again.

Cazzie
October 31st, 2010, 15:48
I just had a sweet flight this afternoon, 24 fps all the way. Recorded in Flight Recorder, then captured the playback in FRAPS. FSX is so weird, so days, it is smooth as silk, even with heavy laden payware. I swear this Bearcat is the best thing in the sim world from the VC.

Caz

0AQsmmwmRE

Cazzie
October 31st, 2010, 15:49
I just had a sweet flight this afternoon, 24 fps all the way. Recorded in Flight Recorder, then captured the playback in FRAPS. FSX is so weird, so days, it is smooth as silk, even with heavy laden payware. I swear this Bearcat is the best thing in the sim world from the VC.

Caz

-0AQsmmwmRE

mal998
October 31st, 2010, 16:02
man, I'd fly with that music any day! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif

italoc
November 1st, 2010, 03:55

Caz

0AQsmmwmRE

I agree 100%
Italo

Helldiver
November 7th, 2010, 03:27
Cazzie - That take off in your movie was not typical of an F8-F. It took too much runway and the tail never lifted until it was airborne. The snap roll was lackadaisical. I once heard the Bearcat as being a engine with a saddle. It was that and even more.
The take offs were unbelievable and as many we saw, we would always pause to watch them.

mmann
November 7th, 2010, 03:37
Have to agree with Helldiver on this one. I tested the Bearcat against the RealAir Spitfire. The Bearcat had all its ammunition removed and I used full throttle. The Spitfire got up in the air quicker and I only used +8 lbs boost (also it was closer to gross weight)!!

Regards, Mike Mann

bruce448
November 7th, 2010, 05:21
This is not an update or authorised by Vertigo Studios, but I have started to play with the aircraft.cfg,

This is far from perfect, but if you want to try it and let me know what you think and what needs changing, this is my first attempt at modifying the various areas.

back up your original Aircraft.cfg and replace the following areas

[piston_engine]
//Pratt & Whitney R-2800-30W
power_scalar = 1.2
cylinder_displacement= 155.81
compression_ratio= 6.8
number_of_cylinders= 18
max_rated_rpm= 2800.00
max_rated_hp= 2250.00
fuel_metering_type= 0
cooling_type= 0
normalized_starter_torque= 0.3
supercharged=1 ; on/off
supercharger_boost_low_end=0.00 //multiplier on manifold pressure at low RPM
supercharger_boost_high_end=2.5 //multiplier on manifold pressure at high RPM
turbocharged= 1
max_design_mp= 60.0
min_design_mp= 8.0
critical_altitude= 18500.00
emergency_boost_type= 0
emergency_boost_mp_offset= 0.000
emergency_boost_gain_offset= 0.000
fuel_air_auto_mixture=0
auto_ignition= 0
emergency_boost_duration = 0
number_of_magnetos = 1
max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar = 1.3
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar = 1
max_rpm_friction_scalar = 1
idle_rpm_friction_scalar = 1

[propeller]
propeller_type= 0
propeller_diameter= 13.08
propeller_blades= 4
propeller_moi= 236.941248
beta_max= 65.000
beta_min= 15.000
min_gov_rpm= 800.000
prop_tc= 0.010
gear_reduction_ratio= 2.0
fixed_pitch_beta= 20.000
low_speed_theory_limit= 80.000
prop_sync_available= 0
prop_deice_available= 0
prop_feathering_available= 0
prop_auto_feathering_available= 0
min_rpm_for_feather= 0
beta_feather= 90
power_absorbed_cf= 0.900
defeathering_accumulators_available= 0
prop_reverse_available= 0.000
minimum_on_ground_beta= 0.000
minimum_reverse_beta= 0.000
feathering_switches=0
thrust_scalar=1.2

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar=1.2
parasite_drag_scalar=1.0
induced_drag_scalar=1.0
elevator_effectiveness=1.2
aileron_effectiveness=1.1
rudder_effectiveness=1.2
pitch_stability=1.0
roll_stability=1.1
yaw_stability=1.1
elevator_trim_effectiveness=0.9
aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.0
p_factor_on_yaw = 0.2
torque_on_roll = 1.0
gyro_precession_on_yaw = 1.0
gyro_precession_on_roll = 1.0
hi_alpha_on_roll = 1.0
hi_alpha_on_yaw = 1.0

Bruce

LCBORDEN
November 7th, 2010, 05:23
Downloaded the new patch, excellent! it fixed my crash to desktop, but now the ATC window will not stay open....I'm a bit puzzled as in the .CFG the radios are enabled...but, I'm sure I just need to tweak something to fix this problem, I just don't know what.....anyway the F8F is one of my favorite aircraft....looking forward to really trying it out.

O'l jarhead:wavey:

Helldiver
November 7th, 2010, 07:13
I know that FSX will never approach real life but I'll keep pushing.
To show how important the head wind was on Carriers aircraft operation, here's a picture of a Carrier making a turn into the wind. They would travel at flank speed with the wind to her back and then turn 180 degrees to head right into the wind. Anyone that landed with a cross wind, ended up going over the side or hitting the island.

Tako_Kichi
November 8th, 2010, 16:29
This is not an update or authorised by Vertigo Studios, but I have started to play with the aircraft.cfg,

This is far from perfect, but if you want to try it and let me know what you think and what needs changing, this is my first attempt at modifying the various areas.
I finally had a chance to play with your settings Bruce and after a very quick test I like what I am seeing. Top speed is getting closer to where I would expect it to be although it appears to be a bit harder to slow down on finals. With everything hanging out (including the dive brake) and the throttle shut I found I was crossing the fence at 100 kts plus with very little reduction in speed in the later stages of the approach.

I also think it could do with a bit more torque effect on the take-off run. I have obviously never flown a Bearcat but as Helldriver has remarked that little plane with the huge engine up front should need a lot of rudder input to stay straight until the tail comes up.

I hope you find the feedback encouraging and continue to work away at it as this aircraft really needs to have a flight model that is close to real life as it could be a strong contender as an eligible aircraft for the flight sim Round the World Race. Currently the freeware offering for FS9 is an accepted aircraft but it is known to have a 'hot' flight model so an accurate one would be nice to have.

Just for reference I run FSX with the realism sliders full right.

NWarty
November 9th, 2010, 08:20
FINALLY ordered the VS Bearcat last night and will have to wait until I get home this evening to take her for a spin.

Gonna tear up the South Sound from Oly to Everett :D

big-mike
November 10th, 2010, 07:15
I purchased the Bearcat last night and all i can say is,that i have never seen such an beautiful modelled aircraft till now.
She looks so real,i really wanted to run my hand over her cowling--indescribably.
The VC with the used look is outstanding and in my eyes the flight dynamics are fantastic,but I´m only an armchair pilot.:redf:
If you don`t have the Bearcat in your hangar---go and get her!
Thank you for this aircraft,Dean
Michael

NWarty
November 10th, 2010, 11:09
I purchased the Bearcat last night and all i can say is,that i have never seen such an beautiful modelled aircraft till now.
She looks so real,i really wanted to run my hand over her cowling--indescribably.
The VC with the used look is outstanding and in my eyes the flight dynamics are fantastic,but I´m only an armchair pilot.:redf:
If you don`t have the Bearcat in your hangar---go and get her!
Thank you for this aircraft,Dean
Michael

Agreed. Took her up last night along the Puget Sound and was in love. Stunning VC and the view under that big ole bubble top is stellar. Will edit with a couple of pics later today.

dswo
November 21st, 2010, 15:51
I don't fly at night much, so I didn't notice this right away. Is the landing light supposed to point port instead of forward?

oakfloor
November 21st, 2010, 20:22
I don't fly at night much, so I didn't notice this right away. Is the landing light supposed to point port instead of forward?
That's bad, im so glad I did not pay full price for this software. But I see there F9F is looking good.

skyhawka4m
November 22nd, 2010, 03:48
That's bad, im so glad I did not pay full price for this software. But I see there F9F is looking good.

Pretty harsh for something that will be fixed. I'm totally happy I paid full price for mine. Even with this and other supposed minor quirks.....I am totally happy. Great Work Vertigo!

oakfloor
November 22nd, 2010, 12:34
Pretty harsh for something that will be fixed. I'm totally happy I paid full price for mine. Even with this and other supposed minor quirks.....I am totally happy. Great Work Vertigo!
Good for you! I wanted it done right, but that just me. I did send a trouble ticket so it's being fixed.

MM
November 22nd, 2010, 18:10
It sounds as though our Vertigo friends have built a terrific static model.

Do we know if the team is continuing development on the project? In particular, is there any word about further "official" work on the flight dynamics?

Ferry_vO
November 24th, 2010, 06:05
Got mine yesterday (And the P-36 earlier this week) for $14 each at the Flightsim.com sale and both are great aircraft!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/fsscr517-1.jpg

One thing though: Shouldn't the Bearcat have an eighteen cylinder engine and not a fourteen cylinder ?!?

Rezabrya
November 25th, 2010, 18:19
I am considering buying the Bearcat for 14 bucks on sale. Is it worth this price? I seem to be under the impression that a lot of customers are unhappy with the bugs in this aircraft so far. Have these bugs been sorted out?

James
November 25th, 2010, 19:02
I got mine a while back. The only complaint for me is that it drops me down about 10 fps. And when the max your laptop can pump out is 20-that's unacceptable. But if you have a somewhat-more-than-bare-minimum computer, go for it.

fliger747
November 26th, 2010, 10:43
Engine cfg specs posted at the start look pretty standard for a R2800. However the min gov RPM of 800 is probably too low, something on the order of 1500 RPM is more appropriate. The F8F was somewhat known for a torque roll, especially on a waveoff. Large prop, short wings...... Prop MOI might be a snitch high....

For fine tuning of the engine, mucking about in the .air file is necessary. I suggest a utility such as Aircraft Airfile Manager.

Keep in mind that max published speeds were usually achieved with Water Methanol injection, which was of limited duration. Get the WEP power and speed right, usually the mil power speed will fall into line, usually 15 knots or so slower.

T

oakfloor
November 26th, 2010, 14:00
I am considering buying the Bearcat for 14 bucks on sale. Is it worth this price? I seem to be under the impression that a lot of customers are unhappy with the bugs in this aircraft so far. Have these bugs been sorted out?
I sent in a trouble tickect, and they said "were working on it"..

Sieggie
November 27th, 2010, 08:42
If you don't get it at $14 dollars, you will be writing a post after they update the program wishing you had gotten it at the lower price, while everyone else will be talking about how they got such a great model for half price on Black Friday :-0

Dave

JIMJAM
November 27th, 2010, 10:10
Thanks for the tip. I just bought both the Bearcat and Hellcat for $28 total.

At 30-40 bucks a pop only the hardcores like us will usually buy and sometimes after alot of reviews and/or patches have been online. At $14 I am like , WTH? I will give it a try and support the vendor.
It still puzzles me to see payware planes that are years old still selling for so much $$$$. The hardcores and ones who really want that specific plane usually buy them within a weeks or months. After a year has passed I would imagine if I were the seller I would slash the price and get the fence sitters and bargain hunters. Or like a buddy of mine who refuses to spend more than 20 bucks on ANY addon.
Btw- Only a flight or 2 but both planes look great and seem to handle as one would expect. The Bearcat is giving me a challenge which I enjoy. I have already ballooned and came in way to high on 3 approaches. Lots of power and big flaps.
Yes, 14 a pop is a bargain. Any more planes of this quality for that much PLZ let me know!

Ferry_vO
November 27th, 2010, 11:05
Yes, 14 a pop is a bargain. Any more planes of this quality for that much PLZ let me know!

There's a P-36 and a Dauntless from the same author for the same price available too.. :wiggle:

I bought the Bearcat and the P-36 for $14, and although I like the Bearcat, I really love the P-36!

DennyA
November 27th, 2010, 22:32
Been wanting to fly this bird for quite a while and couldn't resist at the sale price. Had to load up IL-2 1946 and do a bombing run in the SBD-3 in order to resist buying the Vertigo Dauntless too. :)

Beautifully rendered bird and seriously fun to fly!

Only issue I'm seeing is that I don't see the exterior lights in DX10 mode... I did see them flicker in and out on a replay, weirdly.

DennyA
November 28th, 2010, 15:22
Anyone found a Blue Angels Beetle Bomb repaint for this?

Surprised there aren't more paints, given what a beauty this bird is. Hopefully the more reasonable price during the sale will up the interest.

kcgb
November 28th, 2010, 15:33
on here

http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/F8F_Paint_addon1

DennyA
November 28th, 2010, 15:39
Thanks! Totally forgot that existed.

Looks like my Bearcat just got a bit more expensive. Oh well, those paints look awesome and worth the money!

DennyA
November 28th, 2010, 21:10
Nice. Paint pack was well worth the $10!

What's the difference between the normal and multiplayer paints?