PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed

SabreAce
September 21st, 2010, 06:52
I've been visiting SOH for years, and have seen just how much of a family everyone here is, and how everyone pulls together for people in need. Just never figured I'd be the one asking for the prayers. Long, rambling, somewhat incoherent thoughts to follow.

Last Tuesday, my mother tried to kill herself. My dad and I found her, and were able to keep her alive till the EMTs got there and took over. Physically, she's stable now. Mentally, as you might expect, is a whole other ball game. We've found out there's a great deal of stuff (mostly financial) that's been happening that she hid from all of us. There's the potential for some jail time for her, as some of it involves the finances at her previous job, and that we might be losing our house.

My wife is terrified to wake up now, because this is the second time this has happened to her (waking up to a suicide attempt). In 2003, her mother committed suicide. Now this. In a strange coincidence, the dates are a bit weird too - Tuesday, Sept 14 for my mother, and Tuesday, Oct 14 for my wifes.

I've visited my mother every night in the place they finally got her to on Thursday (rant about that to follow). She's an emotional wreck, and is convinced that even if someone manages to help her get her head on straight, she's going to be in jail for the rest of her life. Nothing any of us say is convincing her otherwise. Likewise, she's paranoid that we all secretly hate her for doing what she did, and even when we say that we all still love her, she's convinced we're going behind her back with each other about how horrible she is. Yesterday, she called me on my way to work, and asked if my dad had been saying anything about never letting her in the house again, and if he wanted her to go to jail. The man has been an absolute angel to her in the last week, and we just can't figure out what to say to her if the facts of the last week aren't enough for her to see.

Speaking of my dad, I have to say something about him. He and I were always a bit distant with each other for the first 20 or so years of my life, as he had an incredible temper, and spent more time terrifying me and spending time on his own than he did being a dad, so to speak. After I hit 21, we started forming a relationship again, which I wrote off as being that he didn't know how to be a dad to a kid, but he could be a friend with me as an adult. In this past week, I've found out that he's had regrets for years about how he was, and that it wasn't him thinking he and I could be adult friends, but rather that he'd committed himself to getting rid of the temper, and being my dad. I've seen a side of him in the last 7 days I always hoped for but never knew was in him. If there's one positive thing to come out of this, my dad and I have both put all of the past behind us and started fresh.

Now for that rant (and please note nothing here is intended to be political): My mother's attempt was Tuesday morning at 5:43 am (there's a time that's going to be burned into my head forever). She was rushed to the ER. By Tuesday afternoon, she was physically stable. Still having issues, but stable. Rather than getting her out to a place to start helping her deal with the mental and emotional issues that had led to this, they kept her in the ER until Thursday, all the while giving my dad and I the runaround as to why this was. On Thursday, they sent her to a place, which promised that, starting the next day, she would receive regular therapy sessions, medicinal treatment, and so forth. Since then, she's had 5 minutes with a psychiatrist, who gave her some anti-depressants...and that's it. There's been more "therapy" from me going to visit for her a couple of hours each night than there has been from any professionals. A week on from her attempt, and there's barely been anything done for her.

I'm not really sure where to go from here with everything. It's strange, in a way - my wife's mother's suicide back when she and I first met...then a couple years later, my best friend's mother tried twice (she's doing ok now, so we keep bringing her up to my mother as someone who got through everything), now this. Before, I was the "other guy", trying to get people through the turmoil, and now I'm "that guy" that's in it. So it's strange giving myself the advice that I've given other people before.

Right now, we're all just trying to keep things going a day at a time. I'm sorry for the length of this whole thing, but it's felt good to just kind of let some of it out.

Bill

grunau_baby
September 21st, 2010, 07:33
My feelings are with you, just good you let it out! Itīs very hard to give any advise as most psychological matters are just too complex, so I wonīt...just my experiences:

I really know how it all feels, my wife was suicidal and selfdestructive for a long time which brought us a lot of additional trouble (depths, no job, etc.). If it wasnīt for me sheīd be dead right know (as she claims herself). At times sheīs still a nervous wreck and hardly stress resistant, but we took a long hard road out off it, without psychiatrical help. And thatīs for your rant: after 5 min of talk with her doctor they put her under medication, she became a "robot". It was even more terrifiying than her breakdowns! Thatīs when we decided to go through it by ourselves, work-therapy, steady-life-organisation, no more contact to her family (the family was the cause of desaster im my wifeīs case) etc. For all this you need a very close relationship! Time and patience!

You should confirm your feelings for her, no matter what happens. You can get through most trouble with the right people/family just keep close! And be patient, itīs also a matter of time...!

Best regards, hang on!
Alex

Daveroo
September 21st, 2010, 07:48
i feel for ya man..a few in my family have done themselves in an we dont know why they did...your mom knows why she did what she did..and you can now talk to her and help her get through it...lots and lots of talking..even yelling if need be...youll get through this..just take time and alot of hard work...my prayers are with you and your family

SabreAce
September 21st, 2010, 08:24
Thanks guys. We've made it a point to make sure my mother understands that we all still love her and will stand with her no matter what happens. We tell her several times whenever we talk to her by phone or visit.

About her knowing...she doesn't. We've talked with her, and she just does not remember what went through her head leading up to all this. She knows she was scared of everyone hating her, and that she felt that if she were gone, it would protect us, but otherwise, she remembers nothing.

We're pretty sure, after listening to her and comparing her recall of events to what's actually gone on, she has some kind of dissociative condition (similar to what used to be called multiple personality disorder, just without the personalities - instead, she just blacks out time whenever something super-stressful/traumatic happens). We think that's why she can't remember any of what she did on Tuesday - obviously, she knows now what she did, but there's about an hour and a half of time that she just has no recollection of, outside of one or two tiny tiny pieces. Likewise, she's blocked out most of what she did with the financial stuff over the last few years. She's described it as utterly horrifying to look at bank records or Quickbooks files, and see that you did something, but have absolutely no recollection of it. She swears (and from the look in her eyes, there's no way she's lying) that she can't even figure out how she paid the mortgage on the house for all of 2004, or how such and such got paid in 2009, etc.

Out of nowhere on Saturday, she remembered something she hadn't in 40 years - her grandmother burning something on their front lawn. She also remembered that said grandmother died in a mental institution, and wondered if that meant that there was something genetic going on. Likewise, we're trying to sort out if maybe this whole blacking time out thing is some kind of giant coping mechanism she learned when she was younger, since she's always been the type to bottle stuff up inside.

We're all prepared to give her as much time as she needs - part of it is just convincing her that she needs to take that time. A couple of times, she's asked if she can come home this week, and there's just no way in hell she's ready for that. Today's my birthday, and she called me this morning in tears, begging me to come get her so she could spend today with me. Broke my heart to tell her I couldn't, and that she's where she needs to be, at least for now. I think on some level she understands that, but since she's never been out of the house for more than a day in 20+ years, she's scared.

magruder
September 21st, 2010, 08:35
SIR: MY DAD DID KILL HIMSELF,I WILL PRAY FOR YOUR MOM AND YOUR FAMILY.MAGRUDER

jmig
September 21st, 2010, 09:23
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Good Luck!

Lionheart
September 21st, 2010, 10:57
I lost my dad to suicide about 20 years ago. Feels like 2 years ago. We all still cannot believe it.

I tried myself and somehow, miraculously, it didnt work, thank the Lord. I learned that you do not die. You do not escape. You might kill your body, but you are so very much still alive and all your thoughts are still with you. No escape.

a prayer..

Father God, we pray for this man's mother. May you bless her with miraculous healing. May you take away the demon of suicide and restore this womans life and marriage and may you bless her with repairing her life concerning that business. We pray Lord that you place a hedge or protection around her to keep her safe. May you bless her with knowing that her family really love her and wish to help her through this. May she find comfort and strength with her family. May you bless her with a long, healthy, good, loving, loved life.

In the name of Your Son, Jesus, we pray and ask. Amen.

rpjkw
September 21st, 2010, 11:03
Lionheart, where two are gathered in My name.....

I'm with you in the prayer.

Bill, you and your family are added to my Prayer List.

Bob

norab
September 21st, 2010, 11:15
Please add my prayers both for your mother, family and yourself. I think you are following the best course and I would put more trust in what your heart feels is right than I would in well intentioned doctors who only know your mother from a sheet of lab results

Dain Arns
September 21st, 2010, 12:46
I lost my dad to suicide about 20 years ago. Feels like 2 years ago. We all still cannot believe it.

I tried myself and somehow, miraculously, it didnt work, thank the Lord. I learned that you do not die. You do not escape. You might kill your body, but you are so very much still alive and all your thoughts are still with you. No escape.

a prayer..

Father God, we pray for this man's mother. May you bless her with miraculous healing. May you take away the demon of suicide and restore this womans life and marriage and may you bless her with repairing her life concerning that business. We pray Lord that you place a hedge or protection around her to keep her safe. May you bless her with knowing that her family really love her and wish to help her through this. May she find comfort and strength with her family. May you bless her with a long, healthy, good, loving, loved life.

In the name of Your Son, Jesus, we pray and ask. Amen.

I'll agree in prayer with Bill as well. Amen.

It's unfortunate that folks sometimes turn to suicide.
Kathy and I have had to deal with its circumstances on both sides of the family over recent years.
So our hearts go out to you tonight.

And I can understand your rant, SabreAce.
My Dad went in for what was to be a 4 day chemotherapy session before Labor Day.
He is still in the hospital, thanks to some mistakes made.
Three weeks now.
Among many things done wrong including putting another patient in his room when he was in an isolation status, the hospital has managed to lose a chain and medallion he wore everyday around his neck that belonged to his mother.
And his electric razor.
And they can't figure out why he is 'down in the dumps' lately...*sigh* :isadizzy:

rayrey10
September 21st, 2010, 13:45
Lionheart, where two are gathered in my name.....

I'm with you in the prayer.

Bill, you and your family are added to my Prayer List.

Bob

Add one more. You and your family are in our prayers.

hews500d
September 21st, 2010, 16:12
Add another, I will be praying for you and your family. May God give each of you the comfort and strength to get thru this.

Darrell