PDA

View Full Version : Old Iron (Attn EasyEd...tractor pix in here)

Moparmike
September 21st, 2010, 05:36
Here's a few quick shots from a local steam threshing show and tractor pull this past weekend.
Some of em aren't the best shots...I keep kicking myself every time I shoot with that Tammy 17-50 outdoors (I love it for indoor low-light though!)
I'll get around to posting some of the originals to my Flickr page eventually. but here's some teasers.

Ed...I'll be sure to post up some of the green stuff in a couple days just to give you a good rash! :-P
In the meantime, here's some nice Red Power!

Moparmike
September 21st, 2010, 05:40
A few more.

The ratty old 400 is driven by a kid that I trained in at work a couple years ago. Night shift wasn't for him, so he went to work elsewhere in town but we still get together to talk red every so often.

I think the 660 with dual exhaust is just plain mean looking!

Cazzie
September 21st, 2010, 08:45
Man, a McCormick Deering Diesel! That's a rare one Mike.

Great shots in both posts, love the IH truck too, had an IH Scout myself in the late 60s.

Caz

Moparmike
September 21st, 2010, 15:12
That WD-40 has been at that show for quite a few years. You're right, you don't see many of the early diesels.

The pickup is owned by a guy that lives just a few blocks away from me. That's about the same rig as my R-100 project...but I've got a long way to go til it looks as nice as this one.

EasyEd
September 21st, 2010, 16:51
Hey All,

Great Pics Mike! I too really like the ol cornbinder pickup! When I was a kid I always wanted a scout - never did get one but my parents had the "camping car" a 58 travelall with a straight 6 - don't recall the size.

As for the tractors - great stuff. I believe the guy on the deering Diesel actually came with the tractor from the factory!:bump: I really like the HV and the 460!

I do wonder why they are pulling that truck? Are they using it instead of a regular pulling sled or what? If so how is weight being added as they pull? The IH 660 (I think it is) with the dual exhaust - the chain is slack while the dual exhausts are blowing smoke - I take it he's getting ready to roll? Oh an nice threshing machine in the shed.

Green tractors are fine - long as they are Oliver! :bump: If not well show em anyway - somebody will like em!:jump: Any yellow or orange there?

-Ed-

Moparmike
September 22nd, 2010, 05:22
As for the tractors - great stuff. I believe the guy on the deering Diesel actually came with the tractor from the factory!:bump: I really like the HV and the 460!
LOL! I'll have to tell him that next time I see him. They could be pretty darn close to the same age, I know he's a few years older than my dad.

I do wonder why they are pulling that truck? Are they using it instead of a regular pulling sled or what? If so how is weight being added as they pull? The IH 660 (I think it is) with the dual exhaust - the chain is slack while the dual exhausts are blowing smoke - I take it he's getting ready to roll? Oh an nice threshing machine in the shed.

That truck is a custom-built pulling sled. We've got several of them in the ND/SD/MN/MT area.
It's got a skid underneath that gradually loads just like a walking-weight sled does...the weight of the whole truck is on the skid by the end of the 300' run. Added benefit being that it's self-propelled and can drive itself to the events, no trailer needed and no tractor needed to drag it back to reset it.
The chains are tight. They hook to the skid under the truck just like you hook to a walking-weight sled's skid, not on the truck itself.
He's about 25' off of the line right there and just cracking into the throttle to set his speed for the run, that's why it's lugging pretty early. (If I remember right, this was his Farm Stock class run with a 3.5mph speed limit).

Here's a bit more info on the sled...
http://www.northernpullers.com/skid.htm

Green tractors are fine - long as they are Oliver! :bump: If not well show em anyway - somebody will like em!:jump: Any yellow or orange there?

-Ed-

Oh I've got an Oli or two floating around somewhere...I just figgered you'd need to see some of that JD stuff just to make the hives appear! :173go1: