PDA

View Full Version : 'Pentax K-5 Announced & Previewed'

Panther_99FS
September 20th, 2010, 15:31
http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10092020pentaxk5preview.asp

Cazzie
September 20th, 2010, 16:55
Oh drool! But with a starting price estimated at $1700 - 1800, I am afraid that it is totally our of my income bracket. Dang P., I can buy one Hell of a road or mountain bike for that kind of money!

But the specs look terrific, I need to get in the drug dealing business! :icon_lol:

Caz

jmig
September 21st, 2010, 05:14
Oh drool! But with a starting price estimated at $1700 - 1800, I am afraid that it is totally our of my income bracket. Dang P., I can buy one Hell of a road or mountain bike for that kind of money!

But the specs look terrific, I need to get in the drug dealing business! :icon_lol:

Caz

The mountain bike would be better for you too. But, if only.... :)

Cazzie
September 21st, 2010, 14:19
Panther, this thread led me to look at the Pentax K-x and I liked what I saw, especially since Ritz has this offer. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP85415078.htm?bct=%3Bcislr-digital-cameras

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a Four Thirds camera, but this is the same cost as the Oly E-PL1 with two lens and I can use all my other Pentax 35-mm lens plus the T-mounts I have for my telescope and microscope. It also has a viewfinder and shoots movies, and uses four AA batteries, which I prefer, since one can readily purchase them anywhere. And if one uses the AA Lithium batteries, they will outlast any build-in rechargeable battery.

I think I am going to shoot for an updated DSLR and let the little camera slide for the moment. I really liked the review your spot gave the K-x too. Thanks for turning me on to that site, it's a winner.

Caz

Moparmike
September 21st, 2010, 15:10
Caz,
Keep an eyeball open for better deals on the K-x. It's replacement, the K-r, is out so you will start to find some good deals on a K-x package (with either one or two lenses).
The K-x has one helluva sensor and processor in it...I think they actually do better in low light than the K-7.
I'm thinking pretty hard about a new K-x for my own christmas present. I'd like a few of the features that they added in the K-r but if I find a good deal I'll go K-x.

Abe's of Maine has that K-x package for just under $700 and even Wallyworld has it cheaper than Ritz (they show $860 right now on the link you've got posted).

Panther_99FS
September 21st, 2010, 16:14
K-x is definitely a good body...:wiggle:

Cazzie
September 21st, 2010, 18:13
Caz,
Keep an eyeball open for better deals on the K-x. It's replacement, the K-r, is out so you will start to find some good deals on a K-x package (with either one or two lenses).
The K-x has one helluva sensor and processor in it...I think they actually do better in low light than the K-7.
I'm thinking pretty hard about a new K-x for my own christmas present. I'd like a few of the features that they added in the K-r but if I find a good deal I'll go K-x.

Abe's of Maine has that K-x package for just under $700 and even Wallyworld has it cheaper than Ritz (they show $860 right now on the link you've got posted).

Mike,

The K-r has much inferior specs than the K-x, it is a cheaper version of the K-x AFAIK. Wally World in my local burg does not carry Pentax, however, I was there tonight to get printer ink and they have a dang good deal on the Nikon D5000 with two lens for under $900.00, very tempting!

We do not have a local Ritz Camera, they closed shop in our depressed town. I would have to order the K-x from them online.

Main thing I want is a telephoto lens and the K-x package from Ritz includes two lens, the standard 18-55mm and the 70-300mm telephoto. The Nikon D5000 at Wally World has the same two lens combination. I do like the compactness of the K-x better than the D5000. Why do they do this to old men? :icon_lol:

Caz

Moparmike
September 22nd, 2010, 04:54
My local WalMart is the same way...not much of anything on the shelf.
You can get site-to-store from any WalMart...so yeah it's still gonna be a order online, except you can pick it up locally when it arrives at the store.

There are quite a few reputable shops that are cheaper in price than Ritz/Wolf. I just figured I'd mention an alternative or two with cheaper prices.
Do a google shopping search for the K-x w/18-55&70-300 kit and you'll find a bunch of places that have that particular kit cheaper than Ritz/Wolf.

Yes, I'm very biased against Ritz. Partially because of their prices, but mostly because I've still got a brick-n-mortar Ritz about 90miles from me...they've never failed to disappoint me by trying to use a load of marketing BS to try to shove a bunch of stuff down my throat that I don't want. They're my last resort if I need something fast and don't want to order online.

Do you have any links with reviews showing the K-r as being worse than the K-x?
So far, everything I've read points out that they're still on equal ground...same sensor, same processing engine family (K-r is just a bit faster than the K-x), still has AAx4 power, etc...plus a few features that the K-x should've had.

Cazzie
September 22nd, 2010, 10:39
My local WalMart is the same way...not much of anything on the shelf.
You can get site-to-store from any WalMart...so yeah it's still gonna be a order online, except you can pick it up locally when it arrives at the store.

There are quite a few reputable shops that are cheaper in price than Ritz/Wolf. I just figured I'd mention an alternative or two with cheaper prices.
Do a google shopping search for the K-x w/18-55&70-300 kit and you'll find a bunch of places that have that particular kit cheaper than Ritz/Wolf.

Yes, I'm very biased against Ritz. Partially because of their prices, but mostly because I've still got a brick-n-mortar Ritz about 90miles from me...they've never failed to disappoint me by trying to use a load of marketing BS to try to shove a bunch of stuff down my throat that I don't want. They're my last resort if I need something fast and don't want to order online.

Do you have any links with reviews showing the K-r as being worse than the K-x?
So far, everything I've read points out that they're still on equal ground...same sensor, same processing engine family (K-r is just a bit faster than the K-x), still has AAx4 power, etc...plus a few features that the K-x should've had.

I tend to agree about Ritz, their service was neber on the order of satisfactory when they were here. But they were the only "camera" show in town.

I sit corrected Mike, I am too dang tired after helping my brother do hard labor the last 6 hours to stand. The K-r is an upgrade over the K-x, but not by much, especially in the sensor (same) and most options. Just a few more gimmicks in the K-r.

I like the Pentax because I have a bunch of 35-mm bayonet lens and T-mounts for Pentax tor my telescope and microscope. I also like the four AA battery power option over rechargeable batteries, which the Nikon D5000 and the Olympus E-LP1 use. The Ultra Lithium AA batteries (less than $10.00 for four here) will last months and one can find AA batteries anywhere. I also like the fact that Pentax's shake reduction system is built into the camera body and not their lens.

So it's pretty simple logic given that the 300-mm part of the extra zoom lens is equivalent to a 450-mm 35-mm lens and I am looking for a good telephoto lens (the 55 to 300-mm zoom sells for from $199.00 to $259.00 alone and gets very good ratings), that the most logical solution is the Pentax. BTW, Wally World sells the K-x with the two lens option also and their price puts Ritz to shame. :jump:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/kx_walmart.jpg

Ordering mine now.

Thanks Panther et al for all the help, the K-x from Wally World just seems to be the best choice of all. There is one other thing I have to say about Wally World. Any item I have purchased from them that turns out defective in any way before the warranty is out, they will replace with no questions asked, as long as you keep the sales ticket. I have never once had a problem with them about that.

Caz

Moparmike
September 24th, 2010, 08:40
Be sure to post up your opinion of the K-x when you've had a chance to play with it a while Caz.

I'm still kicking around the idea of a new body to replace my DL...maybe for Christmas.
I'll probably go with the pack that has the 55-300 lens too. I've already got a very sharp example of the DA18-55 and the DA50-200 but I've thought about adding something in the 300mm range.

Panther_99FS
September 24th, 2010, 09:09
--> http://www.flickr.com/groups/1266349@N25/

Cazzie
September 24th, 2010, 11:30
--> http://www.flickr.com/groups/1266349@N25/

Two thumbs up P., made my order ship to store, should arrive between 10/5 and 10/11.

Caz

Panther_99FS
September 24th, 2010, 16:37
Congratulations on your new acquisition Cazz! :jump:

arl
October 9th, 2010, 02:50
I'm still reading my way through the menus on the K-7 I got in April. At least I finally found the option to turn off the auto white balance that could get really thrown by white or silver cars in close-up.

Of course I partly justified buying it to make use of most of the bunch of K-mount lenses ranging back to MX days via a MZ-3 and DS, so the 18-125 Sigma that called out to me from a second-hand shop window last month was just a stray in need of a good home. It isn't as good as the Sigma 28-105 and 70-300 that I originally bought for the MZ-3, but still is a handy anyday single lens range. Come to think of it the other two Sigmas are probably the only lenses which will work on any of the bodies if I feel like going retro for an afternoon. (Am I the only one who hangs on to all his SLRs?)