PDA

View Full Version : Sky Unlimited Mig-3

falcon409
September 18th, 2010, 21:28
Is anyone aware of any repaints for this airplane?

LouP
September 19th, 2010, 18:23
Is there an FSX version of this out there? I purchased the FS9 ersion when I was using that sim.

LouP

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 18:27
Is there an FSX version of this out there? I purchased the FS9 ersion when I was using that sim.
LouP
Nope afraid not, but, with a minor alpha correction, it is perfect in FSX.:salute:

Hurricane91
September 20th, 2010, 05:17
Is anyone aware of any repaints for this airplane?

Need refs?

skyhawka4m
September 20th, 2010, 07:23
I tried doing a paint for it but the textures are very streched out and hard to work with.

falcon409
September 20th, 2010, 09:27
I tried doing a paint for it but the textures are very stretched out and hard to work with.
I made my own layered paint kit and am currently just updating the two original liveries with larger textures. So far I haven't seen any problems with stretching at all and I'm just about finished with the first one.:salute:

skyhawka4m
September 20th, 2010, 19:41
if I remember correctly the fuselage was kinda strange as you had to squash the start or something....I forget now but damn dude.....good luck. I love the Mig-3

LouP
September 20th, 2010, 20:54
I did about four of them but never uploaded any

LouP
September 20th, 2010, 20:58

falcon409
May 20th, 2011, 22:32
I'm reviving this old thread because I'm having a senior moment (again). I mentioned in this old thread that . . ."with a minor alpha correction", it was perfect for FSX. Welllll, I can't seem to get that same alpha correction to work now. The cockpit glass is fine on the interior, but the exterior is solid black. I've used a solid black alpha, a solid white alpha, a 10% gray, 20% gray and so on and nothing changes.

Anyone have this still in FSX and remember what the fix was?:isadizzy:

falcon409
May 21st, 2011, 06:20
:bump::bump::bump:

Roger
May 21st, 2011, 07:48
Is there an interior glass texture? I know that the WoP aircraft when ported over required a patch texture that was called something like interior_glass.bmp

If it worked before did you upgrade FsX to SP2/Acceleration in the meanwhile?

falcon409
May 21st, 2011, 08:20
Is there an interior glass texture? I know that the WoP aircraft when ported over required a patch texture that was called something like interior_glass.bmp
If it worked before did you upgrade FsX to SP2/Acceleration in the meanwhile?
Got it finally. . . .for some reason the version I was working on (white fuselage with blue underside and red stars) had only one "canopy" bitmap. When I finally thought to check the other livery, it also had a canopy_t.bmp texture. I added that one to the mix, gave it a solid black alpha and all is well now. . . .boy, if I had just looked at the other livery instead of assuming I had all I needed, lol.

fleurdelys
May 22nd, 2011, 03:16
OUPSSS..... :kilroy:

Following Falcon's thread, I opted to port over this FS9 beauty to FSX with some very peculiar results...

- I gave the cockpit the black alpha treatment with great results;
- I transferred the necessary gauges from FS9 and they all seem to be there;

But when I open FSX, although the preview screen shows a normal turning Mig 3, the opening cockpit screen and outside spot views are squished (or do we say squashed) in half.

Furthermore, if I try to select any other aircraft, it is also affected by the same problem. I have to shut down FSX and then reload another plane which will show up normally...

Anybody has had this problem and how can it be fixed ?

help... :kilroy:

falcon409
May 22nd, 2011, 06:05
Easily corrected. . . .go to the Mig-3 panel.cfg file and scroll to the bottom where you'll find this section:
[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=6143

Change what you see for "SIZE_Y=" to what I show in red and the screen will go back to normal. Once the screen is affected as you show it in the example, any other airplane you select will look the same until the offending aircraft is corrected.

fleurdelys
May 22nd, 2011, 06:40
A great many thanks Falcon. That did the trick and everything is now back to normal.

Took it out for a short spin and it is quite nice for a FS9 port over. Although it could do for some heavier weathering, at least to my taste...

The only problem with this very nice aircraft is the use of a modern headset instead of the usual leather helmet and oxygen mask...

Otherwise, it could well stand its own beside any of the usual contemporary WWII fighters that I have... :kilroy:

Thanks again for your help and reminding us that we have some very nice "Sleeping Beauties" in our FS9 hangars.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

falcon409
May 22nd, 2011, 07:14
Glad I could help. Remember that little tweak. . .I guarantee it will surface again on another airplane at some point, lol. Nice screen shots too. I always liked the general look of the Mig-3 so I was pretty glad that it ported over with just a few minor tweaks.:salute:

jojohnson9
May 22nd, 2011, 07:36
OUPSSS..... :kilroy:

Following Falcon's thread, I opted to port over this FS9 beauty to FSX with some very peculiar results...

- I gave the cockpit the black alpha treatment with great results;
- I transferred the necessary gauges from FS9 and they all seem to be there;

But when I open FSX, although the preview screen shows a normal turning Mig 3, the opening cockpit screen and outside spot views are squished (or do we say squashed) in half.

Furthermore, if I try to select any other aircraft, it is also affected by the same problem. I have to shut down FSX and then reload another plane which will show up normally...

Anybody has had this problem and how can it be fixed ?

help... :kilroy:

In the the panel cfg you will find this line in the main panel window:
"render_3d_window=1".
Remove this line and the problem is fixed.

fleurdelys
May 22nd, 2011, 07:52
Thank you John for your fix but Falcon was quicker and his fix also works...

So now, I'll have two fixes just in case...

Took the other Mig-3 out for a spin also and gave it the eye candy exhaust treatment with very good results.
This "misfit" really rocks in flyby mode... :jump:

falcon409
May 22nd, 2011, 08:47
Good info John, I wasn't aware that also fixed the problem.

I am currently revamping the VC. A little at a time, but it's getting there. I've added a bit of shadow behind the gauges, changed the wood texture on the handles and added a newer flooring (I'll add some weathering at some point). I'll also be updating the remainder of the cockpit as I go along.

fleurdelys
May 22nd, 2011, 09:07
Glad to see that you're working on the VC textures presently Falcon.

I started weathering a bit the outside... :kilroy:
Did I mention that I like my warplanes to be a wee bit more weathered ? :icon_lol:

Maybe we can make a difference when the two get together... :running:

falcon409
May 22nd, 2011, 14:08
Here's another shot with additional updates. I refined a lot of the smaller parts in the cockpit (still have some to go). Changed the cockpit interior to something along the lines of OD Green. Darkened the gauge panel (it was too light once I changed the interior color). Not a whole lot left to do really. I have a few things left on the exterior, but no weathering. I'm just the opposite of you Fleurdelys, I go more for the factory fresh look, lol. I'm using a paint kit I did for it some time ago so the textures are much larger and more defined.

Rami
May 22nd, 2011, 14:35
Fleurdys / Falcon409,

I have had this aircraft for years, converted her, and use her in CFS2. I would love nothing more than to have some weathered, perhaps even combat skins for her. I support your work 100%, but will these updates just be for FSX, or for FS9?

To fix the pilot issue...I simply painted out the pilot so that he appears "invisible," and then added Martin Wright's RAF pilot to my .dp file, positioning him jjuusstt right....

peter12213
May 22nd, 2011, 14:42
Really nice work Ed, it's a shame the Captainsim Yak doesn't work too, I'll be reinstalling this asap!

falcon409
May 22nd, 2011, 15:44
Really nice work Ed, it's a shame the Captainsim Yak doesn't work too, I'll be reinstalling this asap!
Thanks Pete. As soon as I have everything complete I'll upload it to the SOH files.

Rami, where portovers are concerned, I very rarely stray from the normal bmp textures, so what I do for FSX is easily transferable to FS9. The textures are larger (mainly just the exterior), but that can be reduced to work in FS9.

Rami
May 22nd, 2011, 16:01
Falcon409,

Excellent! I thank you. :salute:

LouP
May 22nd, 2011, 16:55
Hey Falcon,

Any chance of getting that windo and prop with the "monor alpha correction"?

Thanks,
LouP

fleurdelys
May 23rd, 2011, 04:23
Here's another shot with additional updates. I refined a lot of the smaller parts in the cockpit (still have some to go). Changed the cockpit interior to something along the lines of OD Green. Darkened the gauge panel (it was too light once I changed the interior color). Not a whole lot left to do really. I have a few things left on the exterior, but no weathering. I'm just the opposite of you Fleurdelys, I go more for the factory fresh look, lol. I'm using a paint kit I did for it some time ago so the textures are much larger and more defined.

Your work is outstanding Falcon and I believe that your "factory fresh" look is probably the best bet with this lady... :kilroy:
I've hit some snags with my "weathering" and will have to call it quits due to the way that some parts have had their textures applied. It won't probably show if you stick to a clean setup though.

I'm including a pic of the flaps which is one case in particular where the textures have been either stretched (flap interior_not shown) and applied differently on the exterior...

Looking forward to your finished endeavour.

Fleurdelys

falcon409
May 23rd, 2011, 15:32
I'll upload the VC work this evening. Probably one set for both FS9 and FSX.:salute: