PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who Remembers Cereal Boxes With Cut-Out Records?

Panther_99FS
September 18th, 2010, 11:29
:bump: :bump:

Tako_Kichi
September 18th, 2010, 11:59
I don't ever remember seeing those growing up in the UK but we did have story books with records inside and music 'fanzines' with floppy records pressed out of a thin film of plastic.

I also remember as a kid having several 'Loony Tunes' LPs that came with a mirrored device that looked like the centre of a carousel which sat on the record player spindle above the record. As the record rotated cartoon characters printed on the label would 'dance' in the mirror image.

Willy
September 18th, 2010, 12:03
Don't remember how well they played, but I remember them. My Dad had a pretty high end stereo back then, and us kids knew better than to mess with the turntable and reel to reel much.

Francois
September 18th, 2010, 12:03
Yeah, we had the rotary thingy too!! :-) And records that you had to press out of plastified carton and would ruin your pick-up needle.

Naismith
September 18th, 2010, 12:57
Snap Crackle and Pop!

Dain Arns
September 18th, 2010, 13:28
I don't think it was from a cereal box, but I had something with the moon landing recordings on it.
Wore the poor thing out playing it over and over.
I remember my Dad complaining about the cost of the pick-up needles... :icon_lol:

OBIO
September 18th, 2010, 14:12
Yep, I remember those. And some that came inside the cereal boxes. And I remember saving the wrappers from Bazooka Joe chewing gum and sending in for spy rings and T-shirts.

And the greatest disappointment of my entire life...never being allowed to order the Sea Monkeys from the back of the comic books. Most of my personality disorders stem from being denied the life-enriching experience of watching a tankful of Sea Monkeys.

OBIO

kilo delta
September 18th, 2010, 16:16
All I remember getting in my cereal boxes were cheap plastic toys and trinkets....which generally tasted better than the actual cereal itself.

Lionheart
September 18th, 2010, 16:43
Yep!

Sometimes they didnt work. Other times, the cardboard warped and when you put it on the record player, it hopped the needle.

Every now and then though, you had a great record. Ingenious thinking for back in the day...

norab
September 18th, 2010, 16:51
count me in. I had them too but they never played well. How about the scuba divers that went up and down with baking soda?

Tako_Kichi
September 18th, 2010, 19:51
How about the scuba divers that went up and down with baking soda?
Yup I had those as a kid too and even made my own out of old flashlight bulbs.

OBIO
September 18th, 2010, 23:50
count me in. I had them too but they never played well. How about the scuba divers that went up and down with baking soda?

I didn't have the scuba divers, but my Dad had a fishing lure that used baking soda. It worked in that the lure would go up and down...but he never caught a fish on it. I ended up with it as a bath tub toy...with the hooks removed of course.

OBIO

gigabyte
September 19th, 2010, 01:06
I don't think it was from a cereal box, but I had something with the moon landing recordings on it.
Wore the poor thing out playing it over and over.
I remember my Dad complaining about the cost of the pick-up needles... :icon_lol:

I had a few of those records, and as I recall a couple were pretty warped, my grandfather held one over a pot of boiling water for a bit then set it between 2 books, the thing came out flat as a pancake and worked great - if memory serves it was The Monkeys...

Oh and Dain, I had a cardboard backed recording of the moon landing, which came from National Geographic, and I wore mine out to, really wish I had it now, that would be really "KWEL".

Dain Arns
September 19th, 2010, 02:06
...Oh and Dain, I had a cardboard backed recording of the moon landing, which came from National Geographic, and I wore mine out to, really wish I had it now, that would be really "KWEL".

You're right!
After you mentioned National Geographic, I remembered my grandfather used to get that, and he gave it to me because I had so much interest in the space program growing up.
That was a great memory to have back, thanks! :wavey:

Mickey D
September 19th, 2010, 05:01
Not a cereal box "giveaway" but anybody remember the little wind up van which when placed on a record drove around the groove playing the tune? Coolio! :wiggle:

norab
September 19th, 2010, 08:50
yep, remember that too