PDA

View Full Version : Flexi-deck

Collin
September 17th, 2010, 16:17
This is for Dirtman and Panther, they need it so badly.

Flexible rubber deck trials which took place on HMS Ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Lu6LEQ0zo&feature=related

regards Collin:ernae:

PSULLYKEYS
September 19th, 2010, 13:26
Interesting, I wonder what it was made of, and how it was constructed?

roger-wilco-66
September 20th, 2010, 23:33
It was made of inflated rubber cells.
Eric "Winkle" Brown described it very well in his book "Wings on my Sleeve".

If I recall right the consensus was that with relativly light aircraft, "landing" relativly slow with low vertical speeds, the system was very effective. But unfortunatly the aircraft developed the other way - high landings speeds, high sink speeds, and heavy (or with pylons etc sticking out of the fuselage and under the wings).

The Americans tested the system too and had some hairraising experiences with it. I thing they used the Grumman Panthers and Cougars for testing. John Moore was heavily engaged in that project, see his book "The wrong stuff, flying on the edge of disaster".

Cheers,
Mark

Collin
September 21st, 2010, 08:18
There was also an inflatable runway developed for D-Day, trouble was the wave motion sent ripples over the surface of the runway and it was judged too dangerous for the more modern aircraft to use, though they did test it using a Swordfish.

There is film of it with the Swordfish which was shown on a British tv program a few years ago.

regards Collin:ernae:

Dirtman
September 23rd, 2010, 19:07
ooooooooooooooooowwweeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! dat's pretty kinky dere Collin!!

Dem hookers an all dat rubber !!! (pant-pant) ..... all dat's missin' is de 40 gallon drum of KY Jelly!!!

................. :a1089: .......................:violent:
................ :a1089: 19695 :violent:

Dirtman
September 23rd, 2010, 19:19

There was also an inflatable............

Oh STOP .... STOP!!!! .... 19697