PDA

View Full Version : Possible payware all new ground object pack

Pat Pattle
November 22nd, 2008, 00:41
Hi all,

I've been talking to a professional modeller and there's a 'chance' that we could get an all new ground objects pack for cfs3 . :applause:

This would be payware, how many folks would be interested? Just numbers needed at the moment to see if it's viable. If you post on any other cfs3 forums please ask there as well.

I have no interest in this by the way other than as a CFS3 enthusiast trying to keep it alive :) and would be happy to see more from the retail software guys. This is a cheap hobby and I for one would be glad to pay for new goodies.

Also if there's anything you'd particularily like to see please speak up, this is a rare chance!

Pat :devon:

Stickshaker
November 22nd, 2008, 00:55
Great initiative!

MAULET
November 22nd, 2008, 04:14
Norway

NachtPiloten
November 22nd, 2008, 06:47
I have only once purchased payware for CFS3 and was somewhat disappointed. If someone wants to make maps to increase the number of theaters that would be great. I have started looking at this but have too much other stuff to do.

The real solution is to have folks learn how to make objects other than the 3-4 folks who do this stuff. CFS2 was and still is active because of this. Yes I am chiding the community a bit, but CFS3 will die a slow death if more folks do not pick up the slack. It is not too difficult other than rolling up your sleeves and just learning.

lightningbolt
November 22nd, 2008, 06:58
I would be interested.:d

ndicki
November 22nd, 2008, 08:05
I'd be prepared to pay a few bob for a nice Buffalo. When I say "nice", I mean in the Greg, Mathias and John league, not the rubbish some manufacturers have been palming off on us.

Frosty
November 22nd, 2008, 08:21
What was it again that you were looking for? I remember you posting that you contacted a modeller...?

I am certainly not against payware, but the price/quality ratio should be reasonable. But as I like quality, it 'll probably cost some. So I think I have to agree with ndicki.

Pat Pattle
November 22nd, 2008, 08:56
I doubt at the moment that we're talking aircraft but who knows where this may lead? It's all about user numbers and possible sales at the end of the day and up to us to prove that cfs3 aint dead yet.

This all stemmed from a request for vehicles and ground objects etc. Think USAAF for starters.
It's all very up in the air at the moment but from what I've seen of his existing models the quality is unquestionable. :)

ronnybengt
November 22nd, 2008, 12:12
nice Pat..may I suggest new maps...as nacht pointed out..

Cheers

R

NachtPiloten
November 22nd, 2008, 13:30
I would be interested.:d

Download a copy of gmax or and old copy of max 4.2 and then drop me a line.

middle
November 22nd, 2008, 14:42
I would probably purchase if it was within reasonable limits of outgoing finances like twenty bucks or less....

mongoose
November 23rd, 2008, 07:54
I have only once purchased payware for CFS3 and was somewhat disappointed. If someone wants to make maps to increase the number of theaters that would be great. I have started looking at this but have too much other stuff to do.

The real solution is to have folks learn how to make objects other than the 3-4 folks who do this stuff. CFS2 was and still is active because of this. Yes I am chiding the community a bit, but CFS3 will die a slow death if more folks do not pick up the slack. It is not too difficult other than rolling up your sleeves and just learning.

1. Nothing wrong with pw if it is good and what we really need. I def agree with NachPiloten re maps. What specific ground objects did you have in mind, as it seems we have been doing quite well on those?

2. Re NP's 2nd para, I think it is possible that the lack of CFS3 modelers is partly a generation related thing. Those of us with parents/relatives in WW II feel closer to the whole issue and want to have historically relevant stuff. Thos of a younger genereation are less interested in that but more in what fun they can have with a sim.
We have and hope still do have alot of very talented young guys who have modeled, but like also to go into non historical aspects of CFS3, with way out or even modern a/c. Also they are very individualistic and just do what they want when they want. The whole WW II war thing may not be so real to them and seem very far away.
Just my 2 cents worth.:d

Mathias
November 23rd, 2008, 10:45
I think it is possible that the lack of CFS3 modelers is partly a generation related thing.

I think it's just that CFS3 is getting a bit long on the tooth.
Many of the oldhands have moved on to FSX since you can do a lot more stuff there, expect blowing stuff up of course.
A new combat sim with the modelling/coding possibilities of FSX, now that would be grand!

ronnybengt
November 23rd, 2008, 11:04
..he he....mathias....well....thats the real downside....

R

Mathias
November 23rd, 2008, 11:23
..he he....mathias....well....thats the real downside....

R

Yes. for the player, but not for the modeller who's spending 99.9% of his time creating and testing. :kilroy:

mongoose
November 23rd, 2008, 15:05
I think it's just that CFS3 is getting a bit long on the tooth.
Many of the oldhands have moved on to FSX since you can do a lot more stuff there, expect blowing stuff up of course.
A new combat sim with the modelling/coding possibilities of FSX, now that would be grand!

True, but improvements continue to be made from MAW,OFF, Korea, and now ETO. The fact is that so far this IS the only good WW II sim around. I can understand people moving on, but I hope there is still more room for development with this engine. If only MS would release the code.......:d

gianlucabagatti
November 24th, 2008, 04:45
nice Pat..may I suggest new maps...as nacht pointed out..

Cheers

R

I did vote yes but agree with nach and benny about new maps for new theatres....
to mathias: I think folks here did a great job with a maneageble engine, I hope no new sim comes with the same issues as FSX, areal nightmare also for high-end computer! I´m having a big headache with that beast as I did not experienced in cfs3, also not a quiet one but....

Mark Rude
November 25th, 2008, 02:56
2. Re NP's 2nd para, I think it is possible that the lack of CFS3 modelers is partly a generation related thing. Those of us with parents/relatives in WW II feel closer to the whole issue and want to have historically relevant stuff. Thos of a younger genereation are less interested in that but more in what fun they can have with a sim.
We have and hope still do have alot of very talented young guys who have modeled, but like also to go into non historical aspects of CFS3, with way out or even modern a/c. Also they are very individualistic and just do what they want when they want. The whole WW II war thing may not be so real to them and seem very far away.
Just my 2 cents worth.:d

You are very right, I do model what I want to. I do not have to model anything. I have never made a penny from CFS3. I model because I enjoy it. I hope others will enjoy what I create, if you don't then just don't download it.I understand that WW2 maybe very real and close for those in the UK, But a some of the blood spilled were Americans and others not from the Uk. I lost family in that war. Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Mathias
November 25th, 2008, 04:28
to mathias: I think folks here did a great job with a maneageble engine, I hope no new sim comes with the same issues as FSX, areal nightmare also for high-end computer! I´m having a big headache with that beast as I did not experienced in cfs3, also not a quiet one but....

Agree and didn't question what people did with the CFS3 engine.
I was certainly involved in quite a few of those developements over the past 6 or 7 years. :kilroy:
My intention was not to start an argument but to share a simple observation.
I can name a half dozen of the oldhand modellers right away who have either moved on to FSX, to other sims, or left simming alltogether.
BTW, FSX runs without flaw on my midrange sytem.

miamieagle
November 25th, 2008, 04:41
If MS ever does deside ever to make a Combat Sim I hope they will include a World map where you can include the whole of World war two and not just ETO. It will just make the Sim much more adaptable and diverse for any taste.

World war two was a very diverse war with many scenerios and different types of ways fighting combination and complex Cultural and Political History.

Thats what makes World war two so facinating.

As for paying for new Objective package I think will only devalue this Hobby in the long run. It will demeanish the love we have collectably for this Genry. I have never bought anything for this Hobby than has been better than what I have gather from others who love this hobby as much as I love it.:wavey:

Mark Rude
November 25th, 2008, 05:07
a new combat sim with the modelling/coding possibilities of FSX, now that would be grand!

I agree, I would love to see a combat sim based on FSX. CFS4 ?

NachtPiloten
November 25th, 2008, 06:57
Well there are possibilities. Several freeware game engines designed for air combat exist and are VERY robust and the developers seems open minded and helpful. We just need to decide what we want. CFS3 and all the files can be used in other engines with some mods of course. Just do a freeware game engine search and you'll fine a few good ones!

Well its off to torment my graduate students ..... :costumes::costumes::costumes:

ndicki
November 25th, 2008, 10:39
Miamieagle, speaking as one who has made a significant though limited contribution to CFS3 - most of the French aircraft in MAW, for example, wear my skins - I can tell you that given the incredible effort that goes into a good quality model, and from so many people - the modeller, the skinner doing the interior and exterior, the flight dynamics and damage profile man, the effects man, and then the beta testers, the feedback collection and analysis, modifications, etc, etc - then if somebody wants to make a bit of largely symbolic money out of it, that's fine by me. There is no way the money will ever be much more than symbolic, which is why there is so little payware for CFS3 compared to FS. Given the hours and hours of work - ask Greg or Craig or Mathias - the return is neglegible. If you go from £X.00 per hour as a base rate, you end up with a product which is so expensive you can't sell it. So if it encourages a few people to take up the fight, then I'm quite happy to pay a bit to keep them working. Admittedly, I began publishing my work to pay back the "debt" I'd accumulated with first CFS1 then CFS2, but that's just me.

mongoose
November 25th, 2008, 18:14
You are very right, I do model what I want to. I do not have to model anything. I have never made a penny from CFS3. I model because I enjoy it. I hope others will enjoy what I create, if you don't then just don't download it.I understand that WW2 maybe very real and close for those in the UK, But a some of the blood spilled were Americans and others not from the Uk. I lost family in that war. Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Hey Mark! I was suggesting a hypothetical reason rather than a value judgment on why people were not following the original WW II basis of CFs3. Of course there were many aspects to WW II which is why a PTO and MAW were developed. As Roosevelt said,the priority was the defeat of Hitler and many US lives were lost; not the least from the 8th.
Commonwealth members also have interests outside of ETO, such as MAW and the Pacific campaigns, but we should remember that there were many Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians in the RAF ( + Springboks, etc. :d)
Of course people do model what they like, but in the context of this discussion, that maybe why CFS3 as a WW II sim is not all that it could be. Modders also get tired, and life moves on as well.