PDA

View Full Version : There was this storm over Odessa Texas

warchild
September 17th, 2010, 01:00
and i iverclocked my cpu to 3 ghz, and just reinstalled ASE, and needed to run some heavy weather tests on the widow anyway, so i figured, "what the heck". I have ASE in continuous download and updating every minute so i knew that since this was a super cell i ws flying into that it would be an interesting ride.. I wont bore you with the test results, but during the flight, i did have a few moments where i felt very very small as updrafts downdrafts and wind shear knocked me around like i was made out of paper. But in between the heavy winds were moments that simply took my breath away.. I hope you enjoy the few images i was able to take.. :)..
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-9-17_0-51-13-921.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-9-17_0-50-24-105.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-9-17_0-45-31-121.jpg

Bone
September 17th, 2010, 01:04
Those West Texas boomers can be real @ss kickers.

swimeye
September 17th, 2010, 01:07
The last shot is epic!! :jump:

warchild
September 17th, 2010, 01:13
wellllll, i'll say this much about em. At one point, my nose was pointing up, and i had WEP on and i was still going down. A second later, my nose was pointing down and i was going up like a rocket. The air speed indicator pegged and didnt budge from the peg till i got out of the clouds.. When i landed back at odessa, it had started raining and the rain was blowing horizontally and i ended up with some incredible gust that almost rolled me over just a few feet above the ground.. Since i got the weather report from NOAA, i can only imagine that the people of odessa had one hell of a night..

warchild
September 17th, 2010, 01:21
Got one more for ya.. hope you like it :)
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-9-17_1-19-41-746.jpg

Aviator32
September 17th, 2010, 01:34
Yes, number 3 is amazing!

And this is ASE plus REX2 with the new HD pack?

robcap
September 17th, 2010, 01:36
looking mighty fine!

txnetcop
September 17th, 2010, 02:22
:jump::jump::jump:

Bone
September 17th, 2010, 02:43
wellllll, i'll say this much about em. At one point, my nose was pointing up, and i had WEP on and i was still going down. A second later, my nose was pointing down and i was going up like a rocket. The air speed indicator pegged and didnt budge from the peg till i got out of the clouds...

Back in the day when I was a night freight dog flying around Texas, Oklahoma, amd New Mexico, this happened to me a number of times. There were times when it wad just plain scary.

warchild
September 17th, 2010, 09:36
Back in the day when I was a night freight dog flying around Texas, Oklahoma, amd New Mexico, this happened to me a number of times. There were times when it wad just plain scary.

Hey bone.. If i had been in a real plane, scary isnt exactly the term that would fit ::lol:; I would have needed at least three changes of pants and an on board shower ;).. that was one very intens ride. even on a computer :)..

warchild
September 17th, 2010, 09:49
Yes, number 3 is amazing!

And this is ASE plus REX2 with the new HD pack?

Yup. Thats ASE version B572 which is an update from the base version, and REX2-Overdrive. I honestly didnt expect anything like those clouds. At one point i was pushed to 33000 feet and the clouds kept going up. it was a flight i wont forget for some time.

If you have the bandwidth on your network, and your computer can handle it, max your windspeeds out to as far as they'll go ( 200 i think ) and set your download interval to one minute, and your refresh rate to 100% (I think its in percent ).. It'll give you as close as you can actually get to being in the situation. Of course, the weather service isnt updating that fast by any means, but its still a lot closer than waiting 15 minutes and having your weather disappear.. I was able to track the storm along a northeasterly path while i was in the core, and the trailing edge pretty much kept up with me. When i turned for home, it was only about ten minutes of flying before i hit the tail of it and ended up with this massive downpour with heavy winds.

PS.. Just an aside. I also have my cloud layer limit set to max.. Something like 22 layers..

dharris
September 17th, 2010, 10:38
You mean this is a simulator and not real life? Looks great, might have to upgrade to ase my old version sucks badly, but these pics are great, thanks for sharing