PDA

View Full Version : I made two old people cry in the grocery store

OBIO
September 16th, 2010, 09:40
Earlier today, I went to the Kroger grocery store to pick up some stuff...and happened upon a Korean War vet...who was proudly wearing his black hat with Korea War Veteran embroidered in gold...quite a sharp hat. I did what I always do when I see a vet wearing some item showing that they served....I gave him the best salute I could muster, thanked him for his service and welcomed him home.

Well, the old guy and his wife were deeply touched by my show of respect and appreciation....and they stood there by the eggs wiping tears. The lady had 4 brothers in the Korean War...one came home in a box. They lost their oldest son during the Vietnam War.

-------------

Please take the time to thank our vets, regardless of what branch of service they were in, or if they went to war or not. Without our vets, our nation would not exist as we know it. Don't wait for a national holiday to show your appreciation and respect for their service....they didn't wait for a national holiday to do what needed to be done to give us the freedoms we enjoy on a daily basis.

OBIO

Lionheart
September 16th, 2010, 10:09
God bless you OBIO. Thats awesome man.

:salute:

Bill

hews500d
September 16th, 2010, 10:22
Please take the time to thank our vets, regardless of what branch of service they were in, or if they went to war or not. Without our vets, our nation would not exist as we know it. Don't wait for a national holiday to show your appreciation and respect for their service....they didn't wait for a national holiday to do what needed to be done to give us the freedoms we enjoy on a daily basis.

OBIO

Amen! That's awesome what you did Sir!

Darrell

Crusader
September 16th, 2010, 10:38
OBIO ,
You are an example of what true patriotism , honor and respect are all about .

Rich

beana51
September 16th, 2010, 10:55
Nice ,and the thoughtful,appreciative thing to do..instinctive human behioviour...much of which bred into us by example,and practice.Teachings from our parents and our faith!!....which begs the question,why should this be so "Blog worthy?".Could it be that this once normal instinctive behavior towards our veterans from George Washington till now ,needs retelling?? Has it become a novelty to do the right thing??.Much less to the older or unfortunate in our midest?..Of course The right thing was done here..I rememberer after WW2,and Korea,the lads were well received at home....however we all seen that go out, in that "Age Of Aquarius" time!...We all know of the demining ways the kids coming home from Viet Nam, were treated,Sadly till today,The family's of kids coming home in a box from Iraq,and Afghanistan,are being assaulted , By some even disrupting their memorial serrvices!...Yea I know this borders on politics, and the 1st Ammendant,But its not!!,we are talking about human basic behavior.our values,the stuff of democracy,and faith!..Which is sadly dimmesing...that is being nice to your fellow ..no matter what..be it giving up your seat,giving directions,picking up for one who cant,and all the things which makes human beings different that anamiles......Its nice to Be nice!!..thanx for the story!!

Dain Arns
September 16th, 2010, 12:09
God bless you OBIO. Thats awesome man.

:salute:

Bill

I'll second that! :salute:

jmig
September 16th, 2010, 12:19
Nice ,and the thoughtful,appreciative thing to do..instinctive human behioviour...much of which bred into us by example,and practice.Teachings from our parents and our faith!!....which begs the question,why should this be so "Blog worthy?".Could it be that this once normal instinctive behavior towards our veterans from George Washington till now ,needs retelling?? Has it become a novelty to do the right thing??.Much less to the older or unfortunate in our midest?..Of course The right thing was done here..I rememberer after WW2,and Korea,the lads were well received at home....however we all seen that go out, in that "Age Of Aquarius" time!...We all know of the demining ways the kids coming home from Viet Nam, were treated,Sadly till today,The family's of kids coming home in a box from Iraq,and Afghanistan,are being assaulted , By some even disrupting their memorial serrvices!...Yea I know this borders on politics, and the 1st Ammendant,But its not!!,we are talking about human basic behavior.our values,the stuff of democracy,and faith!..Which is sadly dimmesing...that is being nice to your fellow ..no matter what..be it giving up your seat,giving directions,picking up for one who cant,and all the things which makes human beings different that anamiles......Its nice to Be nice!!..thanx for the story!!

I am afraid what you said is very true for some people. That doesn't take away for what OBIO did.

I :salute: you OBIO for :salute:our vet.

CADFather
September 16th, 2010, 12:27

OBIO

I can recall only once not taking the time to do just that and it has bothered me every time I think of it since. I was in Wal-Mart and this gentleman came walking by wearing a D-day veteran ball-cap. It had his unit insignia on it along with his rank and I believe there were some little ribbons as well. I was in a hurry, of course and did not take the time to appreciate him for what he'd done, and I didn't see him again before I left the store.

A couple of days later I was reading the local Free Press and there he was, he turned out to be a local hero from the war and was on his way home from Wal-Mart earlier in the week and was killed by a 18 year old girl on her cell phone too busy to watch for red-lights. I know that I was one of the last people on the face of this earth to see that man while he was still alive and I was in too big of a hurry to stop and thank him for his service, because I had to get home and watch "The Shield." I take the time to honor all the ones I encounter now but, I'd like to have that one chance back.

CAD

beana51
September 16th, 2010, 13:13
No !!JMIG!,on the contrary,it Heightens the action by OBIS,to be ,and is the "NICE" thing to do..yes I salute him,as I would so many others,on here who feel the same way....Vin!!:salute:

My first Simulator was not a LINK,but rather ,my Dads Swivel Chair,and a Broome handle.That caused my Mom to gave me my first flying lesson,after I sawed off the broome.....Had a flying helmet from a relative who sent me it.This was in the 2nd WW.Aviation was king,and all wanted to become FIGHTER PILOTS.At 10 or 12 Then,I would go into a "Walter Mitty Trance.....watching the Meatballs,and Swastikas go down in flame...Of course my engine sound was challenging...their I was trying to sound like a Belching,Roaring Radial engine...........My 50cal machine guns,was effective......It always was a good flight!.....Sometimes I had to wipe of the engine oil off my face,.My engine sounds got JUICY! My Mom ya know,off to the sink and lye soap!!!..........CHEERS....

brad kaste
September 16th, 2010, 14:08
...Good for you OBIO. I've done the same thing,...to salute a WWII or Korean war vet. As we know they're slipping away faster and faster now. Most must be in their mid or upper 80's by now.

Bushpounder
September 16th, 2010, 19:26
I just attended a MOAA meeting tonight and met some GREAT people. It is NEVER too late to thank a vet.

Don

Panther_99FS
September 17th, 2010, 07:40
:medals:
And a further reminder to all US veterans...
--> http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123121980

Cazzie
September 17th, 2010, 08:56
That's not patriotism old buddy, that's respect, something these old gents get far too little of. Patriotism can run too deep these days and I am afraid I am not much of a patriot of the US government and have not been for the past three elected leaders. Patriotism is love of country, not love of its government.

Those brave souls called combat vets saw more than the average citizen would ever want to see, could ever bear to see. They did not ask to do what they had to do, they did it out of duty and that duty should command the highest respect a citizen could give. You did good Tim, real good.

Caz

n4gix
September 18th, 2010, 09:06
:medals:
And a further reminder to all US veterans...
--> http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123121980

OMG! I've been a criminal for decades! I've always rendered a hand salute at such times, and never knew that I was violating Federal Law...

I wonder though if anyone has ever been arrested or charged for violating this former "law?"

I even pull over to the side of the road (when safe to do so!), exit the car, and render a salute if I happen to be driving past anywhere the colors are being lowered...

A few years ago, a cop pulled up behind my car, exited his vehicle, rendered a hand salute alongside of me...

...then wrote me a ticket for "standing" in a "no standing or parking zone." When I went to court, the judge glared at the officer and practically growled, "You should be ashamed of yourself for this! Case Dismissed!"

Thank you OBIO for giving that old gentleman the honor and respect he deserves!<BANG!>

OleBoy
September 18th, 2010, 09:57
OBIO, and everyone here that took the time to respond.

It takes a respectful person to give respect as they wish received. Unless you're in some branch of service.

I know everyone knows this but I'm going to think out loud.

Respect is acquired in many ways. Not just for the ones who served for our country. That respect should be given regardless of who, where, when, what or why they did what they did.

Respect has been a slowly dying display by most in our society for years. As an example:

I had just left the dentist office. Got in my truck, started it, pulled out and headed down the alley. There was a truck partially blocking the path with a couple gentlemen under the hood. Trying to find the trouble I suppose. Just beyond the truck and down the alley there were three teen boys walking towards me. I slowly continued on, making eye contact with them so we all knew each others intention. Mine was obvious. Theirs, walk shoulder to shoulder and block my path. The biggest of the group raised his voice saying, "hit me...hit me!" I made eye contact with that one. And as I was aside the three the kid says it again. "Hit me..hit me". I thought to myself, there is no reason to be saying this. I made no action as to do so. So I stopped my vehicle, rolled down the window and said, "Now what makes you think I would want to damage my nice truck with ugly scratches? Or get the police called on me for vehicular assault. If I had intentions of hitting you, I would do so to make sure the world had one less smart arse to deal with in the population!" The three boys just stood there looking at each other.

Over time I have seen this form of disrespect more and more. And it's in every society moving at full steam.

What you did OBIO is awesome. Not only because you gave a veteran the respect for serving, but because of your solidity in yourself and how you were shown to be towards others.

Hats off to you OBIO :)

Aviator32
September 18th, 2010, 10:28
Good for you and it is obviously acceptable in the USA but where I'm from you NEVER salute someone if you are not in uniform yourself just as you never salute someone who is not in uniform or is in uniform but isn't wearing their hat. If I walked up to a serving member of the armed forces or a retired serviceman, makes no difference (I hate the word 'vet') and saluted them I would expect to be given a good hiding. If you are the head of state then it is unavoidable and just about acceptable - otherwise it's something you just don't do. Shaking hands and saying a few quiet words is all that is necessary.

I'm not having a go I'm just pointing out that speaking as the son and brother of two long serving and decorated members of the armed forces in the UK, it would be a crime and an insult for me to salute even them. It's interesting that it's obviously different in other cultures.

OleBoy
September 18th, 2010, 10:33
Reuben,

You are correct as it is the same here. I think the biggest issue with saluting a veteran or an out of uniform solder is, or could be as simple as not knowing their rank so it justifies the one receiving the salute as an officer. That's my guess.

n4gix
September 19th, 2010, 10:43
<TABLE dir=ltr border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><!--msnavigation--><TD vAlign=top>
No one knows the precise origin of today’s hand salute. From earliest times and in many distant armies throughout history, the right hand (or "weapon hand") has been raised as a greeting of friendship. The idea may have been to show that you weren't ready to use a rock or other weapon. Courtesy required that the inferior make the gesture first. Certainly there is some connection between this old gesture and our present salute.*
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

...it's amazing at the sheer number of "rules" and "variations" that have accreted to this practice... :)

* SOURCE: http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/history/vignettes/respect1.html

Bjoern
September 20th, 2010, 09:43
<table dir="ltr" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><!--msnavigation--><td valign="top">
No one knows the precise origin of today’s hand salute. From earliest times and in many distant armies throughout history, the right hand (or "weapon hand") has been raised as a greeting of friendship. The idea may have been to show that you weren't ready to use a rock or other weapon. Courtesy required that the inferior make the gesture first. Certainly there is some connection between this old gesture and our present salute.*

</td></tr></tbody></table>

In my army, I was told that this custom stems from the medieval ages, with knights raising their visors as a sign of non-agression with a gesture similar to today's salute.

raptor19
September 20th, 2010, 10:23
Well done & good for you OBIO! Those guys who fought in all conflicts are owed a lot, and here in the U.K on the 70th anniversary of the BoB we realise how old some of these surviving gentlemen now are and indeed also what "gentlemen" they really are. :ernae:

Regards,

John N.