PDA

View Full Version : NAS Glenview in Flightsim.com today....

Navy Chief
September 16th, 2010, 07:06
<center>FSX - FSX Scenery </center> <center>FSX Glenview NAS Scenery
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=149975) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=149975) ] </center>
Name: knbu_x.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=149975) Size: 4,392,247 Date: 09-16-2010
http://www.flightsim.com/p/knbu_x.gif FSX Glenview NAS Scenery, Illinois (IL). Originally home to the Curtis-Wright Corporation, the Navy moved into (and subsequently renamed) this airport to Glenview NAS in 1937. By 1993, the base was closed and eventually dozed over. All that remains is the main building complex (converted to a shopping center) and the north hangar (used for fire-fighting). This is another Sharkey attempt to revive closed or unknown airports in the US. By John Hawranick, Jr.

bruce448
September 16th, 2010, 07:33
Cool that'll be A home for my USNR paint for the VS F8F.

Bruce

Navy Chief
September 16th, 2010, 10:15
For a very brief time, I was with VP-90, based out of Glenview, back in the late 1970s.

It was a reserve P-3 squadron. I was living in Indianapolis, and they would fly one of their Orions to the Indianapolis airport to pick up reservists.....

NC

BOOM
September 16th, 2010, 10:29
Ahh The Good Old Days!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCetOljdHY

Helldiver
September 16th, 2010, 10:36
Oh, that's sad news. I flew out of Glenview many times and now it's gone. It's all changed. Jacksonville was the leading NAS in the east coast. Now it taken over by what was a Auxialry field with about 100 men stationed on it. You screwed up and that's where the leading Chief sent you.
Out in the Boonies.

flyinjake
September 16th, 2010, 18:08
Wow! Did not realize they closed it so soon after I left. I was stationed there from 85 - 88. I was active duty Marine attached to the KC-130 squadron.

Navy Chief
September 19th, 2010, 04:11
Years ago, one of the SOH members (P3SuperBee) offered to do a VP-90 repaint for me...... I had it installed on my previous system, and just found the file, finally......

So, VP-90 is finally "back home" at NAS Glenview, IL.

NC

mal998
September 19th, 2010, 07:25
Fantastic vid of the Good 'Ol Days! Thank goodness for those 8 and 16 mm home cameras. I miss those days.

Chief, that's a great looking paint.

The Glenview scenery is OK, but the ground textures are a bit funky...any way to change their color? A bit too bright for my taste.

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 07:44
. . . . .The Glenview scenery is OK, but the ground textures are a bit funky...any way to change their color? A bit too bright for my taste.
If the Airport Boundary (that funky sandy color) was done in AFX, you can just load the AFCAD back into AFX and change the poly from dirt (or whatever that is) to grass and it would blend in better. . .unless of course Glenview was mostly dirt, lol.:salute:

(Update) I'm curious now. . .and I haven't done any scenery is a long time, so I'm gonna download and see what's what.

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 08:01
Ok, well. . .the screenshot included with the scenery isn't at all what it looks like when installed. The base airport boundary is green and the patches of dirt are brighter even than what the screen shows. He must have made some last minute changes and didn't retake the screenie.

The other thing is that if you have vehicle traffic turned on, there are cars and trucks driving all over the base, lol. No roads, just a lot of cars cutting across the rwy and taxiways, lol. I wouldn't mind trying another version using SBuilderX for the ground textures and maybe divert the vehicle traffic around the base. Is the airport still there or has it been completely torn down?

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 08:07
Found it, lol. . . .

mal998
September 19th, 2010, 10:20
Yikes...golf courses and housing sudivisions...what a cryin' shame!

To demolish history for the sake of a bunch of pimply little kids seems all wrong. How the hell can we remember who we are when all the references to our history and our past are demolished so some greedy developer can sell overpriced, poor quality junk to people who can't hardly afford to pay their mortgages.

Rant over!

Falcon anything you can do to improve the look of this historic base will be greatly appreciated!

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 10:35
This is for the guys who either served there, or passed through there that might remember. . . .there are two distinctive areas that intersect the rwys. . .one circle and one a kind of cone shape. In some pics they appear to be concrete. . .in others they look like dirt or very worn grassy areas. Anyone remember exactly what they were made of and what they were for?:salute:

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 12:39
A few minor changes right now. I removed several layers of flattens and airport boundaries that were part of the original since one poly does all that in SBX. Adjusted the altitude a bit and cleaned up the enlarged parking ramps I asked about in my previous post and made them concrete, which I have to assume is what they were originally.

In the images, you can see the vehicle traffic I think. Odd thing is, it doesn't travel any roads that I can see. It's obviously following something as everything is in a single line, but in order to eliminate it, I'm not sure what to look for.

mal998
September 19th, 2010, 13:48
Nice!!! Big improvement...let us know if the changes will be available when they are completed.

looking the way it does now, I'll be happy to re-install.

A few sessions with Instant scernery and she'll be a nice addition.

Thanks for taking this on.

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 14:19
I made a minor adjustment in the original Instant Scenery files and then added a new one that contains all the AGE Equipment and trucks shown in these two shots along with a fire station and Fuel Truck area.

Unless you guys see anything else that needs fixing, that's all I plan on doing.

mal998
September 19th, 2010, 15:08
those help...how did you modify his ground files? which program will open the bgl's?

can we get a copy of the changes?

Thanks for doing that.

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 15:31
those help...how did you modify his ground files?
His ground textures were done in AFX, I just deleted them and added a standard Airport Boundary using SBuilderX

which program will open the bgl's?
The scenery bgls will require Instant Scenery to do any object manipulation.

can we get a copy of the changes?
Yep, I just need to zip everything up and upload it, should be available tomorrow.

Thanks for doing that.[/QUOTE]

Railrunner130
September 19th, 2010, 15:39
Awesome Ed! Thanks for doing that!

To me, part of the purpose of flightsim is to correct injustices to airfields. I can't wait to throw this one into the mix of military air traffic.

falcon409
September 19th, 2010, 15:50
Guys, I have thought about this and think it would be wise to secure permission from the original author before I post anything. Had this been done from scratch it would obviously not be a problem, however I have simply added and subtracted from John's work and think it would be a good idea for him to give me the ok before I do anything with it.

On hold for now, hopefully I will hear back from him quickly.:salute:

TARPSBird
September 19th, 2010, 16:06
Boom, thanks for posting that video. I gotta figure out how to grab stuff off of YouTube, I want that for my collection. At 3:30 you see the top of what looks kinda like a blimp mooring mast. Always wondered if they had one at Glenview. I grew up in Northbrook, right next door to the base, and I recall the blimps flew real low over our house. Actually everything flew real low over our house, we were on the approach to Rwy 17.

Navy Chief
September 19th, 2010, 16:35
Ed,

Thanks for taking on this project. I'm afraid I can't provide any additional information. The short amount of time I spent at Glenview, I never even left the base. I do remember how cold that flight line was in the winter!

Now, if you ever consider working on NAS Agana, Guam scenery, I might be able to help you! Pete

falcon409
September 21st, 2010, 10:58
Chief,

I decided to upload the mods I made. I e-mailed John and gave him a rundown of what I had done and asked his permission to upload it. I haven't heard from him though. I'm not 100% sure that the e-mail address I used was correct, but it was the only one I could find. His current scenery zips have a readme that, in part says, if you have any questions just send me a quick note. . .but he doesn't supply an e-mail address, lol. The one I found was in an older FS9 package he did. I didn't take any credit for the work I did and gave him full credit for the original concept, research and production of the scenery so I feel pretty safe in releasing this.

The package I uploaded is not an addition to what you already have though, it replaces it entirely, so dump the old scenery package and load this one up as is.:salute:

mal998
September 21st, 2010, 12:38
Falcon,
Thanks a lot for taking time to make these changes. Much appreciated Sir!

I was looking at the Flight1 AFX airport builder program...very nice indeed. It's almost exactly the same as the Afcad program from FS9.

A definate buy for me. Thanks again.

scott967b
September 21st, 2010, 21:43
In the images, you can see the vehicle traffic I think. Odd thing is, it doesn't travel any roads that I can see. It's obviously following something as everything is in a single line, but in order to eliminate it, I'm not sure what to look for.

UTX USA freeway traffic maybe? An exclusion poly for freeways should get rid of it.

scott s.

falcon409
September 21st, 2010, 22:07
UTX USA freeway traffic maybe? An exclusion poly for freeways should get rid of it.
scott s..
Yep, that's what I did.:salute:

Navy Chief
September 22nd, 2010, 03:29
Ed,

Thank you for your efforts! A great job, as usual!

Pete

mal998
September 23rd, 2010, 06:01
Falcon,
a question if I may; how did you create the grassy areas behind the runways?

falcon409
September 23rd, 2010, 09:31
Falcon,
a question if I may; how did you create the grassy areas behind the runways?
I used SBuilderX to generate what it refers to as an "Airport Boundary". The pic below shows what it looks like and I just compile that to a bgl file and load it into the sim. In this case it also flattens and removes any autogen as well.