PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Rewind to 1945(ish)

flashgordon
September 16th, 2010, 03:36
Whilst on the Airfield Information Forum I noticed a thread about the ability on Google earth to view certain areas of the UK in aerial photographs going back to 1945.

On the GE toolbar there is a clock icon. Click on this and a slider tool appears which allows you to bring up the 1945 aerial photos. The areas covered are currently fairly limited but no doubt will gradually extend. Some of the joins are quite evident but nevertheless this provides a readily accessable insight into the scenery of 1945 as per attached:-

Led Zeppelin
September 16th, 2010, 08:02
I didn't kew that, thanks, really interesting information.

ndicki
September 16th, 2010, 08:49
Good one! I can spend hours on GE looking for airfields and things. Never knew you could do that.

Pat Pattle
September 16th, 2010, 10:08
Good find Gordon! :ernae:

It seems that the little history bar only appears in some areas and then only at certain 'altitudes'.
I really hope they put in some more coverage. And I could have done with that Graveley map a few years ago!

Frosty
September 16th, 2010, 11:59
Very interesting find!!

When I am done reinstalling my new PC, I will certainly look up Stoke Orchard again...

alain95
September 17th, 2010, 00:57
Very interesting find!!

When I am done reinstalling my new PC, I will certainly look up Stoke Orchard again...

Hi Frosty,

I was told that you made the Leiston airfield in ETO 1.3, this is a nice and great job,
I've plan to make standalones of 357FG P51 to populate it, with the Kerry Clement models.
Hope you will soon be able to continue with this good stuff.

Sure this tool in google earth will help the rookie historian we are.

Cheers
:engel016: