PDA

View Full Version : OT:Speakers that can bring the sim to life.

hammer353
September 15th, 2010, 19:44
Wondering what set of speakers would bring my flight sim to life, but for good price?

Overshoe
September 15th, 2010, 20:37
Wondering what set of speakers would bring my flight sim to life, but for good price?

I'm sure there are others who are more knowledgeable about the subject, but I bought a set of Polk Audio speakers with a big sub-woofer for under the desk about 4 years ago. They are still sounding great. I don't remember what I paid, but I am notoriously cheap.

OBIO
September 15th, 2010, 20:49
I have a 2.1 channel Logitech speaker set that I got from ABCWarehouse.com for $25. Sound pretty good...not as good as the 5.1 channel set that got moved into the living room...but good enough. It doesn't take a high dollar set of speakers to bring you good crisp sound....you can pick up a nice sounding set of PC speakers for $50 or less at Walmart, Kmart, your local Big Lots or Odd Lots store...heck even the Kroger grocery stores in town have pc speakers. Get at least a 2.1 channel set....that subwoofer will bring the punch needed to give great sound on piston planes....but a 5.1 channel set will give you much richer, much fuller sound immersion.

Make sure your audio driver is up to date.....my system used to have a pop in the sound, but once I updated the audio chip set driver the popping went away.

Many people think they need a dedicated audio card for great sound....not always the case. Modern motherboards usually come well equipped in the audio chip set department...and can support up to 8.1 channel audio..though 5.1 is more common. And there are cases were installing a sound card can reduce the overall performance of you system when gaming or simming.

OBIO

tommieboy
September 15th, 2010, 22:43
Oops....never mind.....

Daube
September 16th, 2010, 00:25
I've got a Creative Labs 5.1 speaker set (5 small speakers + 1 mega bass), an they work quite well, provided you have a real 5.1 sound card. Avoid the motherboard-integrated sound cards, they often have quite a lot of problems, sound cracks, performance issues, etc...

mleegard
September 16th, 2010, 01:34

May be more than you want to spend but I have had these for a long time time and they are superb,Bose Companion 3.

here (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/computer_speakers/companion_3/index.jsp)

hammer353
September 16th, 2010, 07:18
thanks to all who replied, i think i am going to go with a pair logitech 2.1.

DaveKDEN
September 16th, 2010, 08:07
I'm going to compare these to the Bose Companion 3 series II:

http://blog.logitech.com/2010/08/25/new-logitech-speaker-system-z623-features-thx/

txnetcop
September 16th, 2010, 10:08
Don't laugh but The Buttkicker is fabulous however you're neighbors might threaten your life!!! I'm armed to teeth so no problem! The system I use at TechCorp for great sound is the Creative GigaWorks T3-WOW!

FAC257
September 16th, 2010, 13:39
As much as I love newer and improved anything when it comes to systems and software, my 2.1 AltecLansing speakers are the ones that came with the very first computer I ever owned.

I use my computer for flying and playing music CDs, but for some reason I've never bothered upgrading that part of the system. :)

FAC

ryanbatc
September 16th, 2010, 13:48
I use Logitech for my gaming setup... they are decent, I think they are called Z-530 5.1 system

I also use some old school Z-680's for my home theater setup, not bad for 300bucks..

Anyway, the Z530's were maybe 50 bucks when I bought them
After a quick look these 540's are the up to date version of what I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121006

OR a 2.1 option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121036

Willy
September 16th, 2010, 13:58
I use an old Creative Labs 2.1 set that I bought back in the CFS 1 days and they've been pretty much bullet proof. I tried a Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card a few years ago and it put a hit on my frame rates. Went back to the onboard sound and the frames went back up.

heywooood
September 16th, 2010, 15:28
I have Altec Lansing

but really almost anything is good - as long as you have a subwoofer - thats the key to that nice low end rip and rumble of a radial - the howl and growl of a pair of J79 jet engines - or the drumbeat of a solid Lycoming piston

Bjoern
September 16th, 2010, 15:41
Try to get your hands on a Teufel 5.1 system (Concept E perhaps). The best sound quality out there...and it's even affordable!