PDA

View Full Version : Starforce - Warning! Will Robinson Warning!

Naismith
September 15th, 2010, 15:29
I just got back from a horrendous experience with Starforce security thing. On Monday I thought I would try out my GT Legends on my fancy i7 machine. It totally slipped my mind that I was using Win7. After install the program insists on a reboot. BAD MOVE! Starforce would not let W7 boot. The multiple repair efforts by Win7 failed. I ended up having to totally reinstall windows to get around this awful program.
I post his just as a reminder to others who may be tempted as I was. There are ways around the issue I have since found out but they must be made before the reboot.
I understand and sympathise with companies trying to safeguard their products but Starforce is imho not the way to go, it makes changes at a fundamental level which is not acceptable.

stansdds
September 16th, 2010, 01:58
StarForce has a long and sordid history of damaging optical drives and operating systems. It is incredibly powerful as an anti-piracy tool, at least until someone cracks the coding which usually doesn't take long, but it can be devastating to legally owned programs and hardware. I avoid any game or sim that uses StarForce.