PDA

View Full Version : Advice on graphics prob please

BeauBrummie
September 15th, 2010, 06:33
In most respects I'm happy with my set up. The only wrinkle is that when flying in thick cloud the a single square appears in the middle of the screen, but is ok from any external view... It's not the worst of glitches, but it isannoying. So any suggestions would be grateful.

Vogelscheuche
September 15th, 2010, 07:54
This has been blamed on many things, but all the fixes I've ever tried have never yielded any results. Since CFS3 was made before any of the widescreen monitors we have today, I believe this to be a fault with 16:10 and 16:9 aspect ratios and the particular field of view of the aircraft that you're in (the glitch doesn't seem to show in all aircraft).

My solution: Manually zoom the view in by one keypress when in the clouds. Zoom out again when you can.

BeauBrummie
September 15th, 2010, 07:56
Thanks V, I'll give it a go. Here's to clear skies:salute:

Wyld45
September 15th, 2010, 10:44
Isnt this the same problem where it "pushes" on your aircraft and you fight to
keep it flying straight? I find it VERY annoying!
:mixedsmi:

hairyspin
September 15th, 2010, 11:34
My solution: Manually zoom the view in by one keypress when in the clouds. Zoom out again when you can.

A number of people have found that the simplest solution. :wiggle:

KellyB
September 16th, 2010, 12:39
This has been blamed on many things, but all the fixes I've ever tried have never yielded any results. Since CFS3 was made before any of the widescreen monitors we have today, I believe this to be a fault with 16:10 and 16:9 aspect ratios and the particular field of view of the aircraft that you're in (the glitch doesn't seem to show in all aircraft).

I have done one experiment in the new Battle of the Atlantic missions.
In the 1943 mission with the Martlet (LBS_Atlantic_FAA_43-05-23a.xml) I got the White Square in the Clouds.

After reading this, I changed the FovUp from 45 to 25 and the white square no longer appears.
I picked the number "out of the air" so to speak, so haven't tried to find out if there is a correlation between FovUp and FovDown values and the screen ratio.

But it does reinforce the idea that it is Fov related.

If others can replicate this, then good.
If not, I shall submit to the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

BeauBrummie
September 16th, 2010, 12:55
I have used the zoom in with one keypress and yes it does work, simples!

loverboy1
September 16th, 2010, 14:29
kelly hi , see your post on the fov where is this located if i may ask tks

lb/joshua

KellyB
September 17th, 2010, 04:29
kelly hi , see your post on the fov where is this located if i may ask tks

lb/joshua

Hi loverboy1.
It's inside the aircraft xpd file. and it's the line beginning with
<Station Name="Pilot"
The value for FovUp had been 45 before I changed it to 25.
It seems to work, although I can't exactly say why.

<Seats>
<Seat Name="Pilot">
<Stations>
<Station Name="Pilot" Type="pilot_station" View="0" FovUp="25" FovDown="30">
<PadlockLimit AzimuthMin="-154" AzimuthMax="154" ElevationMax="90" ElevationMin="-55"/>
<Views>
<View Event="HeadStop"/>
<View Event="HeadPitchUp" Azimuth="0" Elevation="-30"/>
<View Event="HeadPitchDown" Azimuth="0" Elevation="30"/>
<View Event="HeadPitchUpLeft" Azimuth="-45" Elevation="5"/>
<View Event="HeadPitchUpRight" Azimuth="45" Elevation="5"/>
<View Event="HeadRotLeft" Azimuth="-90" Elevation="-5"/>
<View Event="HeadRotRight" Azimuth="90" Elevation="-5"/>
<View Event="HeadPitchDownLeft" Azimuth="-134" Elevation="0" X="-0.1" Y="0" Z="0"/>
<View Event="HeadPitchDownRight" Azimuth="134" Elevation="0" X="0.1" Y="0" Z="0"/>
</Views>

MajorMagee
September 18th, 2010, 06:56
In 3D programming this is a function of how they set up the clipping plane, and yes they did not anticipate the screen resolutions we have available now.