PDA

View Full Version : Next plane

NachtPiloten
September 30th, 2008, 15:17
Ok, I am thinking about a new plane (after the Geckko and Diana) so what do you guys want?

middle
September 30th, 2008, 15:35
Ahhh....something real....a new plane. The fact that you're actually considering a Sunderland makes me smile.

rbp71854
September 30th, 2008, 15:38
Nach

What this game truly lacks is a free B24D. That would cover MAW, ETO, and PTO. A very much publically neglected aircraft in its day, in the shadow of the B-17 who got the glory, but more 24s were built, could fly faster, farther and carry a bigger bomb load. Even today the B-17s name is more recognizable than the 24's. Pity

Off soap box now. :)

pachi
September 30th, 2008, 15:44
well I also say b24 :ernae:

grizzly50
September 30th, 2008, 15:58
:kilroy:I certainly agree with the B-24. A freeware one much needed.:d

warfreak
September 30th, 2008, 16:04
:kilroy:I certainly agree with the B-24. A freeware one much needed.:d
ditto

NachtPiloten
September 30th, 2008, 16:50
I thought someone was working on one?

Bravo/4
September 30th, 2008, 17:05
I'd take the Sunderland off you Ted, no problem!:d

warfreak
September 30th, 2008, 17:10
b-24 vs sunderland...hope b-24 wins:wiggle:

corpse grinder
September 30th, 2008, 17:22
B-24D:d

Nonato
September 30th, 2008, 18:17
I thought someone was working on one?

Yeah, I guess it was Polecat...

I'd like to see a Sunderland (or a Catalina, if you allow me to say it:redf:)

N.

warfreak
September 30th, 2008, 18:29
sunder land is only good for target practice in a combat flight sim lol

Hals und Bein Bruch
September 30th, 2008, 20:55
He 119 - coupled engines, blistering speed, and the most amazing VC ever...

flyby
September 30th, 2008, 20:59
I'd go for Sunderland. We already have a B-24 in Firepower, even if it is payware. Sunderland is an iconic aircraft sorely missing.

@ Warfreak, Luftwaffe might not agree with you. From Wikipedia - "On 3 April (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_3) 1940 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940), a Sunderland operating off Norway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway) was attacked by six German Junkers Ju 88 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_88) medium bombers and managed to shoot one down, damage another enough to send it off to a forced landing, and drove off the rest. The Germans are reported to have nicknamed the Sunderland the "Fliegendes Stachelschwein" (Flying Porcupine) due to its defensive firepower and to the several prominent antennas protruding from it".

@ Nachtpiloten - whichever aircraft you choose, I'm positive she'll be a real cracker and a welcome addition in the hangar. :applause::applause::applause:

BeauBrummie
September 30th, 2008, 21:20
Absolutely Stan and Ted after your recent Sea Eagle venture, the Sunderlland seems a natural progression, besides your Ju88C-6's want a rematch. It'd great to have big flying boat too. The Sunderland saw action in every theatre in WWII and Korea. I'd like to see a freeware B-24 too, as we're limited with what can be done to the present copyrighted Firepower model. Coastal Command heavily modified it's Libs. I'd love to see one carrying 20mm cannon gun pack, rockets, a leigh light and British turrets. So for me Queen of the Seas first then a Lib.

Beau

PS don't you ever sleep mate ;-)

hairyspin
September 30th, 2008, 21:41
You must have broad shoulders, Ted! I'd rather see something that isn't yet available, and from the local interest point I'd like to see a Sunderland: there were lots of them based fairly near to me once (plus Catalinas, Walrus, etc, etc, hint, please!) :d

ronnybengt
September 30th, 2008, 21:59
Sunderland sunderland
Sunderland sunderland
Sunderland sunderland
Sunderland sunderland
Sunderland sunderland....

did i say Sunderland?

R

OberstDanjeje
September 30th, 2008, 22:35
Why not all? :d

CFS3 need a free B24 but at least we have a payware one, so I say Sunderland

ronnybengt
September 30th, 2008, 23:16
@ oberst..well in due time....highly probable...in due time
did u get the weaps for the ju 88 ...either from me orat the site??

R

Wildfowler
September 30th, 2008, 23:54
How about a boulton Paul Defiant?

OberstDanjeje
October 1st, 2008, 00:05
did u get the weaps for the ju 88 ...either from me orat the site??

Yes, I downloaded the files from BeauBrummie's site.

thx

ronnybengt
October 1st, 2008, 03:02
i see sunderland in da lead...:applause:...may the submaries dive fast...hehe

R

Pat Pattle
October 1st, 2008, 03:53
Being an RAF enthusiast I ought to say Sunderland, BUT the B24 is a much more important a/c to have in cfs3 methinks.

Then again, how about a Hampden?? :jump:

warfreak
October 1st, 2008, 03:56
do'h! b-24's down by one

ronnybengt
October 1st, 2008, 06:16
Tie...

R

greycap.raf
October 1st, 2008, 06:23
Putting the Sunderland back in the lead. Every sim has a B-24 but very few of them have good Sunderlands.

BeauBrummie
October 1st, 2008, 06:38
I'm sure there was a threads a while back with someone looking into doing a B-24. I know there was supposed to be one a B-24 in MAW phase 2.

Beau

warfreak
October 1st, 2008, 06:42
well I dont think that they're gonna continua that b-24 project so lets vote b-24:d

BeauBrummie
October 1st, 2008, 07:53
any way at the end of the day it's Ted's call:ernae:

Beau

jungle_balloo
October 1st, 2008, 08:05
Please, Please, SUNDERLAND, Please :jump::jump::jump:

Bravo/4
October 1st, 2008, 08:15
How about a boulton Paul Defiant?

Bolton Paul Defiant is already well on the way!:mixedsmi:

discreet
October 1st, 2008, 08:46
just to confirm, there is a B-24 in MAW, as far as the website will tell us,
you can fly the new MAW B-24 Liberator from North Africa to Romania and back, battling against Bulgarian Air Force Dewoitines and Romanian IAR 80s. there were some screenshots in one of the old threads, but alas...

Sunderland all the way!

warfreak
October 1st, 2008, 09:00
discreet dont tell me you voted sunderland!

SLIP STREAM
October 1st, 2008, 11:11
guys i remmember old and recent threads that the company that owens the rights to the b-24 won't allow the image to be used without payment.thats why the project b-24 was stoped.ted maybe it should be checked out before hand.
next we have zero water based allied bombers.there were shots of a caitilina but it never appeared.so one more for the sunderland.and ted the 88's are great peices of work thanks

Hals und Bein Bruch
October 1st, 2008, 11:36
How 'bout a Bell Airacuda - we could always sell 'em to the French!!!:jump:

middle
October 1st, 2008, 12:23
Do a B24 AND a Sunderland!!:icon_lol:

warfreak
October 1st, 2008, 12:42
Do a B24 AND a Sunderland!!:icon_lol:

yes thank you 4 saying that:d

Lionus
October 1st, 2008, 12:46
Sunderland. hydroplanes or flying boats etc etc have a special place in my heart

ronnybengt
October 1st, 2008, 12:50
and Sunderland in the lead....hehe that never happens in football LOL

R

O-1Driver
October 1st, 2008, 13:29
We have enough bombers in CFS 3 to last us in to the next Century but not a single flying boat. We need a PBY worse than anything else in the whole world. It operated in every theatre. Just my humble opinion.

O-1

flyer01
October 1st, 2008, 14:01
I have not flown all the planes we have in ETO yet and your talking about more. Cool Thanks Guys. B-24

warfreak
October 1st, 2008, 16:11
nooo!!! B-24 is still down by 2!!:banghead:

sixstrings
October 1st, 2008, 16:52
A P-70 would be sweet and a B-24 would also be welcomed too.Love all of your work. Thanks for all the time and effort.:ernae: Later,Scott

valkbro
October 1st, 2008, 19:00
My vote would be for a FW 187 V1. Its exotic and sexy although William Green's "Warplanes of the Third Reich" makes no mention of its ability to cook. Many thanks for asking.

BeauBrummie
October 1st, 2008, 20:46
So glad to see the old lady is still ahead of the Lib, but don't get me wrong an earlier version Lib would be cool too, but after the Sunderland.

Beau

MAULET
October 2nd, 2008, 01:01
Why not this 'rara avis'...?
thanks... Nachtpiloten
José vt.

BeauBrummie
October 2nd, 2008, 01:24
mmm, that'd be a good German addition for the Biscay crowd.

Beau

philem
October 2nd, 2008, 04:29
Hi Guys.

:d I choise the...
Polikarpov I-16

Capt. Winters
October 2nd, 2008, 05:53
Hi Guys,

Ted, its got to be the Sunderland mate!!! we have a payware B24 for the time being, there is a 90% finished he115 in the works, theres a PBY about 70% finished as well. and as pointed out above if you build the B24 some git is going to sue you!!!!!

The Sunderland would open up heaps of mission opertunities, maybe even a new campaign generated around the great work Buea and the others have done with coastal command stuff.

The Bay of Biscay is just crying out for a Sunderland.

did I mention I think the Sunderland would be the perfect selection for your next project.

keep up the great work, :ernae:

regards Rob.

Thats Sunderland in the lead by 5votes now Ronny. :applause: actuallly its 5 votes up on total votes compared to all selections but its actually 10% up on the next favoured aircraft 49% sunderland V's 39% B24 (well thats until someone else cast a vote :costumes:)

warfreak
October 2nd, 2008, 06:11
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: ouch:isadizzy:

O-1Driver
October 2nd, 2008, 06:46
Rob,

I know we will never see a PBY in CFS 3 so I went ahead and voted on the Sunderland which is not a bad 2nd choice. Did it carry different bomb configurations and aerial mines?

O-1

ronnybengt
October 2nd, 2008, 07:15
...and I know there is a JU 188 also in da works...so much candy....

ROb ....who is doing the PBY ??????
horrido
R

Led Zeppelin
October 2nd, 2008, 08:20
Sunderland

warfreak
October 2nd, 2008, 08:25
do you have to be a meber to vote?

greycap.raf
October 2nd, 2008, 08:38
Yes. Is it really that hard to face the defeat? :d

warfreak
October 2nd, 2008, 11:34
Yes. Is it really that hard to face the defeat? :d
yes I want a b-24 badly

Lt. Heinz Becker
October 2nd, 2008, 12:29
I say Sunderland. I have Firepower's B-24 Liberator but I don't have a Sunderland. Um, what is a Sunderland? :icon_lol:

Lt. Heinz Becker
October 2nd, 2008, 12:30
Sorry for double post.:redf:

Lionus
October 2nd, 2008, 12:40
I say Sunderland. I have Firepower's B-24 Liberator but I don't have a Sunderland. Um, what is a Sunderland? :icon_lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Sunderland AKA "flying porcupine".

ronnybengt
October 2nd, 2008, 12:58
I kindly advice the B 24 lovers to visit shockwave for an easy pay-ware...FP is well woth the buck or even try to pick it up in the cd /DVD version....but then again freeware is,,,nice....and genuine,,,

R

middle
October 2nd, 2008, 13:18
Isn't the B24 in the Shockwave update? I think the update is free. But whether or not you hAVE TO have firpower first I don't know

pachi
October 2nd, 2008, 14:33
Yea I think Sunderland too, I've got the firepower b24 anyways

Capt. Winters
October 2nd, 2008, 19:39
Rob,

I know we will never see a PBY in CFS 3 so I went ahead and voted on the Sunderland which is not a bad 2nd choice. Did it carry different bomb configurations and aerial mines?

O-1

Hi Steve,

Yes mate the Sunderland carried a variaty of load outs from bombs to mines, depth charges you name it, it carried it and used it with great effect.

in addition to its offensive role against enemy shipping it was also a great deterant for enemy air activity as well. It would be a very foolish Luftwaffe pilot indeed who went headlong into battle with a Sunderland. I have read of a Sunderland fighting with 6 Ju88's shooting down several of them and then making it home.

If you want a good read on the subject, I can definately recommend Ivan Southall's
"They Shall not Pass Unseen."

an excellent account of Sunderland Squadrons daily life in the Bay of Biscay.

Hi Ronny,
The PBY is being built by one of the MAW guys, but for the life of me I cant remember his name. I'll check my work in progress files and find out.
But I have flown the plane myself and its deffinately close to finishing. just need them to release it once done, which is entirely upto them.

regards Rob.

BeauBrummie
October 3rd, 2008, 00:34
:173go1:Well done old Girl!

Gandi
October 3rd, 2008, 00:46
I'll throw my vote in for the B24, but whichever you decide will be most appreciated :ernae:
Always great to see talent put to good use and there are a load of talented guys on the forum :applause:

NachtPiloten
October 3rd, 2008, 04:16
The reason I through out the B24 is I refuse to use payware. :applause: I guess it is that open access freeware mentality that I have (among many other quirks). :mixedsmi: As I have heard that folks who own the rights to the B24 are protective, it is hard for me to understand how they can regulate the creation and distribution of freeware that has no economic benefit to anyone, nor how can they regulate artistic expression.:censored:

Seems well so capitialist, well off to monitor the stock market and make some trades :costumes:

Does anyone have good 3 view line drawings of the Sunderland?

BeauBrummie
October 3rd, 2008, 04:41
No plans as yet mate, but plenty of photos, some scanned, some still in books. I could look out for plans though.

Beau

ronnybengt
October 3rd, 2008, 05:56
will look some up...l8s TED

R

Capt. Winters
October 3rd, 2008, 07:12
Does anyone have good 3 view line drawings of the Sunderland?

Hi Ted,

excellent choice :applause: does this picture help.

http://www.seawings.co.uk/images/plans/Sunderland%20plans/3.jpg

and here are the others in the set.
http://www.seawings.co.uk/Sunderlandplanpage.htm

and for those who wish to know a bit more about Sunderland operations, this is a nice little read.

http://www.diggerhistory2.info/raaf/1942/chapter04.htm

I actually have a copy of the book These Eagles, the RAAF story 1942 in my collection which is featured in teh web page above.

regards Rob.

Spitflyer
October 3rd, 2008, 08:31
For me I like the sound of a Sunderland, But Pat has reminded me of the Hampden !.Now that would be cool, re-create the suicide missions that Gibson and co flew at the start of the war. Bring it on !!!!!!!!!:applause::applause:

hairyspin
October 3rd, 2008, 11:46
That's a far better set of drawings than I usually see on the net, Rob! :applause: On the Sunderland's reputation, I did read somewhere that its slow speed was also a problem to attacking aircraft, especially at low altitude. A fighter had to slow down a lot to extend its useful shooting time and whereas a Sunderland might be quite happy at 85kt, a fighter would lose a lot of its edge coming down to, say, 150kt. And if the pilot was foolish enough to close from astern, he would be hit with the Sundy's considerable wake. Nothing like an involutary roll 50ft above the oggin... :isadizzy:

themann
October 3rd, 2008, 20:17
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31

pretty please.

Pips
October 3rd, 2008, 21:29
I go for the Sunderland. A real 'go anywhere' aircraft. Plus I just luv flying boats. :)

I see though in one of the earlier posts that someone mentioned the Boulton Paul Defiant. Now that's something I'd really like to fly. :applause:

njbb1995
October 4th, 2008, 00:09
Were do you take off from in a flying boat?

Capt. Winters
October 4th, 2008, 00:21
Were do you take off from in a flying boat?

Hi Njbb,

mostly from the sea, but you can also use rivers and lakes to take off and land if wide enough and long enough.

CFS3 supports water bourne take off and landings.

also some of the modeled flying boats have landing gear as well, so you can land on the ground as well as the water.

HTH's

regards Rob.

ndicki
October 4th, 2008, 00:33
Isn't the B24 in the Shockwave update? I think the update is free. But whether or not you hAVE TO have firpower first I don't know

I know. I tried. You do. Which is not a problem, because I have got it (well worth the money if you don't have it, btw), but my curiosity got the better of me! It checks your registry or something before installing the update.

I vote for the Sunderland! As has already been said, we have several representative 4-engined bombers, but no decent flying-boats - and the Biscay crew need one badly!

We could do with a Blenheim IV, as well... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

norm
October 4th, 2008, 04:01
where can i find the berton paul defient that i saw menchund . if it not here yet please let me know were it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt. Winters
October 4th, 2008, 06:54
Hi Norm,

The defiant hasnt been released yet, but it is in a fairly advanced state. and should be along sometime in the forseeable future.

regards Rob.

Nonato
October 4th, 2008, 07:02
Hi Njbb,

mostly from the sea, but you can also use rivers and lakes to take off and land if wide enough and long enough.

CFS3 supports water bourne take off and landings.

also some of the modeled flying boats have landing gear as well, so you can land on the ground as well as the water.

HTH's

regards Rob.

And if I'm not mistaken, in AvH there is a Float Swordfish whose WEP is so powerful that allows you to take off even from land...that's very convenient in QC (AFAIK there is no way of starting QC in the water, isn't it?)

Cheers
N.

polecat0942
October 4th, 2008, 17:09
The B24 whether its D or J is close to my heart. I have started some preliminary work on it using files provided to me by Dave (Dangerous) Boyington. I have not gotten too far with it as I'm finding GMax very difficult. I would be willing to help you in any way possible and with Dave's blessings share any files necessary to help in creating the B24D and B24J in freeware. Please contact me via PM if you are at all interested.

Cheers,

John

edit: lol just realized this is my first post!!! I'm a newbie again!!!! yay!!!!

hairyspin
October 5th, 2008, 06:00
The B24 whether its D or J is close to my heart. I have started some preliminary work on it using files provided to me by Dave (Dangerous) Boyington. I have not gotten too far with it as I'm finding GMax very difficult.

Hello John, I'm afraid you're just the next person to hear my cracked record, :redf: but a fine set of tutorials on gmax modelling was available via the Aircraft Design and Animation forum here at SOH. Like everywhere else, the original threads were lost with the server crash, but Milton has promised to put stickies back up. Meantime the material is still available on Milton's own site:- http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

It doesn't cover everything since it's targeted at FS9, but I learned a lot from it.

ndicki
October 5th, 2008, 07:51
And if I'm not mistaken, in AvH there is a Float Swordfish whose WEP is so powerful that allows you to take off even from land...that's very convenient in QC (AFAIK there is no way of starting QC in the water, isn't it?)

Cheers
N.

Wasn't that in CFS2, for launching off the top of the turret or something? I don't expect I was the only one who abused it copiously, either... :icon_lol:

norm
October 5th, 2008, 15:31
i think someone should make a North Amaican p-61 black wido. it looks like alot of fun.

polecat0942
October 5th, 2008, 17:14
Hello John, I'm afraid you're just the next person to hear my cracked record, :redf: but a fine set of tutorials on gmax modelling was available via the Aircraft Design and Animation forum here at SOH. Like everywhere else, the original threads were lost with the server crash, but Milton has promised to put stickies back up. Meantime the material is still available on Milton's own site:- http://www.flightsimonline.com/C162/

It doesn't cover everything since it's targeted at FS9, but I learned a lot from it.

Thanks hairy and its not a problem. The problem I am having with gmax is unfortunately a little more complicated. I received model files in 3DS format from Dave (Dangerous) Boyington (B24J and B24D). The problem I am having is taking those files and making them usable for CFS3. There is still alot of work to do. I need to break the plane down to its parts basically and reattach them with the proper names and order and this is where I am having the problems. Had I been doing this from scratch I may have made more progress (am working on another project from scratch PZL 50 Jastrzab). But I am in bit of a stalemate at the moment. If anyone has any ideas I welcome any input though R/L at the time has my time at a minimum.

Thanks,

John

DonSPa
October 5th, 2008, 17:22
i'll take anything thats made, im easy ,heck i was excited when i saw a flying smiley until i found out it wasnt meant to be :costumes::costumes::costumes::costumes:

NachtPiloten
October 6th, 2008, 03:56
Thanks hairy and its not a problem. The problem I am having with gmax is unfortunately a little more complicated. I received model files in 3DS format from Dave (Dangerous) Boyington (B24J and B24D). The problem I am having is taking those files and making them usable for CFS3. There is still alot of work to do. I need to break the plane down to its parts basically and reattach them with the proper names and order and this is where I am having the problems. Had I been doing this from scratch I may have made more progress (am working on another project from scratch PZL 50 Jastrzab). But I am in bit of a stalemate at the moment. If anyone has any ideas I welcome any input though R/L at the time has my time at a minimum.

Thanks,

John

John,

Send me the files at theodroe@bellsouth.net and I'll take a look see and if I can help I will.

Ted

ronnybengt
October 6th, 2008, 04:09
god bless you...nacht....:applause:

r

BeauBrummie
October 6th, 2008, 09:33
i think someone should make a North Amaican p-61 black wido. it looks like alot of fun.

After he has finished the Mossie's, Dave (Dangerous) Boynton has the P-61 next on line, it's a plane close to his heart.

Beau

remcoc
October 6th, 2008, 11:17
Hi guys,

I vote B-24. I hope Polecat can get it to work. The Sunderland really is a beaty. In my humble opinion the B-24 dominated the ETO much more than the Sunderland. Ans I don't use payware. So a freeware version would be beautiful.

Perhaps I don't get the argument (so don't shoot when I don' t) but I can not understand why a new build freeware version would cause a lawsuit. There are a lot of planes in pay- as well in freeware version.

RemcoC

BeauBrummie
October 6th, 2008, 13:16
Building one from the ground up wouldn't, but making stand-alones of the Firepower ship would, which is why the Coastal Command Liberator GRVI is a kit using ndicki's skins, leaving up to the individual to alter the other files