PDA

View Full Version : Badger 105 Patriot & Badger 100LG Airbrushes

Stratobat
September 14th, 2010, 14:47
Hi Guys,

Has anybody used these two airbrushes?

Being newer technology, is there any real discernable difference between the Badger 105 Patriot and the Badger 100LG with a fine head assembly?

Regards,
Stratobat

Moparmike
September 16th, 2010, 06:38
Hmm...that's a new one to me too. The idea of being able to use one tip for an assortment of viscosity fluids sure sounds interesting.

I can't even give you an opinion on the 100 series though...it's been darn near 20 years since I've used a Badger 100. (Paasche owner here...)

Stratobat
September 18th, 2010, 04:58
Hey Mike,

I can't even give you an opinion on the 100 series though...it's been darn near 20 years since I've used a Badger 100. (Paasche owner here...)

What made you decide to switch over?

Regards,
Stratobat

Moparmike
September 21st, 2010, 06:06
Not so much that I switched brnads...the Badgers were just borrowed from a friend in college.

I started with a Paasche H (still have that one) and had a VL until my shop burned back in '94.
My local hobby shop was a Paasche dealer so that's why I went with that brand.

Stratobat
September 30th, 2010, 06:41
Hey Mike,

I purchased my first airbrush when I was thirteen years old - A Badger 200.

I took all the cash I had saved up and put it straight into purchasing the airbrush. I sold the airbrush last year to another modeller for the same price I had paid for it all those years ago.

My local hobby shop was a Paasche dealer so that's why I went with that brand.We have an interesting situation in this part of the world. The local hobby shops only stock Badger. The Art shops carry Aztek's and the hardware stores carry Iwata's.

Do you use your airbrush for model building or automotive art?

I wish I could find a local stockist for the Paasche Talon.

Regards,
Stratobat

Moparmike
October 1st, 2010, 17:38
I originally bought my first brush for modeling but after a while I started attacking toolboxes, garage fridges, and finally a few full size bikes and cars got some striping & detail work too.
Haven't had the itch to do much with it lately...several years of apartment living with no place to setup the spray hood had something to do with that.

Before Testors came out with their ModelMaster line (and even a few afterwards too) I painted most of my auto models with Dupli-Color brand automotive touchup paint. The model paint lines just didn't have the exact colors I was looking for.

This sled hood is some of the stuff that I've done. I had to crop the top of the hood off picture since it's a bit X-rated...:redface: It's old stuff, some of the first lightning I'd ever tried. Not the best job but I'm still pleased with how the whole sled turned out.

Stratobat
October 3rd, 2010, 17:09
Hey Mike,

That looks awesome! :applause:

Have you also tried spraying flames?

Before Testors came out with their ModelMaster line (and even a few afterwards too) I painted most of my auto models with Dupli-Color brand automotive touchup paint.

I used to know a guy who built diecast model cars. He also used automotive paint when airbrushing them but he went one step further and heated up the diecast body for a couple of minutes before spraying - Something about the warm metal making the paint adhere better?

Regards,
Stratobat

OleBoy
October 3rd, 2010, 17:31
Sorry to intrude on the conversation. I saw this post earlier on. I use a Binks system. Don't ask me the model# as it's been awhile. I'd have to go out to my hobby room and check to be sure. I used mine for R/C cars, trucks, planes and automotive. The automotive part was the very last I worked on as it was very expensive paints I didn't want to waste till I knew I was ready.

I'll see if I can find a picture of my last work.

Here it is. One of the reasons I'm into painting FS models.
....This is the rear deck of my 78 Malibu. The picture was taken with a standard camera, as anything digital at the time was very expensive.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6421/78malibu.jpg

Naismith
October 3rd, 2010, 23:19
Can I direct your attention to AZTEK airbrushes, I recently purchased their model A4809. It is the best one I have ever used. Very simple to clean, no disamntling required. It cam ein a very nice wooden case and has 6 nozzles and 6 varying sized paint reservoirs.

Moparmike
October 5th, 2010, 05:42
Hey Mike,

That looks awesome! :applause:

Have you also tried spraying flames?

I actually do better at flames than lightning. That sled started out as a simple chameleon pearl cover to hide some scratches but it just kinda evolved into the big lightning fuzzball after I botched the pearl layer. I started drizzling the lightning over the mismatched areas and pretty soon the whole hood was covered with airbrush and striping. A friend of mine did the naked zombie chick that I had to crop out of the picture.

I don't have any photos handy at the moment, but my nicest one is on my cousin's '76 ElectraGlide down in Cedar Rapids. It's simple pearl/chameleon ghost flames over a nice candy raspberry base color. I'll have to see if I've still got pictures of it somewhere.
I can't freehand a symetrical pattern to save my soul though, I've got to do one side and then copy & mirror with butcher paper with get both sides to match up.

Sorry to intrude on the conversation. I saw this post earlier on. I use a Binks system. Don't ask me the model# as it's been awhile. I'd have to go out to my hobby room and check to be sure. I used mine for R/C cars, trucks, planes and automotive. The automotive part was the very last I worked on as it was very expensive paints I didn't want to waste till I knew I was ready.

I'll see if I can find a picture of my last work.

Here it is. One of the reasons I'm into painting FS models.
....This is the rear deck of my 78 Malibu. The picture was taken with a standard camera, as anything digital at the time was very expensive.

That's one neat looking mural Oleboy! I've never been able to do a decent job on people or animals.

OleBoy
October 5th, 2010, 06:31
Granted, airbrushing is not easy without lots of hands on. Throughout my attempts I don't know how many times the phone rang, or my wife called me for one thing or another and I went completely out of boundary in relation to what I was doing. That happening, I had to let the paint dry, make the needed cover up, let that dry and then continue on.

As for my trunk lid and my methods at the time. My mural caught my eyes one day when I was sifting through some old albums. Back in the day there was a band "Dust" and that was on the cover. Having my Malibu almost ready for squirting color on, I decided why not.
....I took the rear deck off my car and hung it on my shop wall about six feet up and then attempted the drawing. That wasn't happening. That's when I borrowed an overhead projector for my idea. I took a piece of rice paper, placed it over the drawing and come up with a good outline depicting a decent starting point for throwing color at. Once that was finished I laid the draft onto a piece of glass and carefully cut out the lined areas with an X-acto knife. Then onto the OH projector to size it/position it up to the deck lid.. Having that up to my satisfaction, I then re-drew the draft once again at the expanded size on a heavier tracing paper.

After my car was painted I had the painter leave the deck lid in it's raw midnight metalflake/pearl form. I wet sanded the whole thing down to 1200 grit to make it baby butt smooth. Masked the area I was going to work and began. My base layer was white and I progressed from there. Once I got the draft transferred to the white, the trial began. I tried to visualize the final look as I progressed. Trying to apply all the same colors in layers so I didn't have to keep stopping, cleaning the tips, changing the colors etc..etc.

All in all I was pleased with my end results. That picture does the mural no justice at all. Not to mention the angle of the picture was just wrong. I took the picture while standing on a 6ft ladder over the deck lid. I was nervous as heck I was going to fall off the ladder, drop the camera or inevitably....something disastrous.

As for my repainting for flightsim goes, I'm wanting to get a Wacom 12" x 12" drawing tablet. I think with a little practice I can do almost as good (if not better) on FS repaints. Which I've been itching to do for quite some time now. Only thing with that is, I need a PC that can display it as I see it. Not to mention being able to handle the graphics of FSX to show it as an end result. So the PC is coming first.