PDA

View Full Version : 9th Fighter Squadron

Talon
September 14th, 2010, 13:06
If you haven't downloaded this It's your loss. I highly recommend this Campaign,It tells a story and has lots of action. Captain Kurt very nicely done.

Some pics.

Talon

Ghostrider
September 14th, 2010, 13:31
I second that! Very nice work by Captain Kurt - I have been flying the first tour of duty, it is well worth it's own install -

Don't think about it - get it!

mariereid
September 14th, 2010, 13:46
After screwing up my latest mission, I gotta say you danged mission builders are worth your weight in gold. I thought it was just me that thought this work was extremely well done, but praise from Talon, well Captain K, that outa tell ya something!:salute:

Well, back to the stinkin', rotten drawing board! Hmmm.....my own guys are shooting at me, exploding as soon as I come out of warp, this is supposed to be enjoyable, right? :ernae:

Pips
September 14th, 2010, 14:57
I'm having an absolute ball with this campaign. It's a work of art, and sure to become a classic! :)

skylane
September 17th, 2010, 01:48
I´m just about to transfer from Darwin to Port Moresby on the first tour. This is a great campaign, I´m having lots of fun!

:ernae:

Captain Kurt
September 19th, 2010, 04:14
Aw, thank you folks.

It's been a hard few days. I just returned from a 4 day trip to be with my brother and sister in law while their daughter, my neice, died of liver failure.

Returning home to find this thread bouyed my spirits and it meant a lot to me.

mariereid
September 19th, 2010, 05:07
I am sorry for your loss CK. Nothing I can say will make it any easier. It's hard for everyone, really hard for mom and dad. Prayers for all of you.

Finn
September 19th, 2010, 07:34
Sorry to hear about your family's loos - always twice as hard when kids are hit. More happy to tell is that I just finished the second of your 4 tours, and after an initial trouble with my graphic card have had not the slightest problem, nothing to cure at all, everything just working like a charm. The story is well researched, well told and the missions just pure, plain fun to fly. The new sceneries are beauties too, and could well do their own separate uploads.
All in all: THANK YOU a hundredfold for giving us this beautiful and great work of true art.:salute:
Finn

Jagdflieger
September 19th, 2010, 07:51
Captain Kurt,

My sympathies to your brother's family and to you. Parents should not outlive their children, but sadly it happens from time to time.

Cloud9Gal
September 19th, 2010, 08:07
Captain Kurt~

My heart goes out to your brother and your sister-in-law. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of their daughter.
There is no loss greater than one of a child.

May she rest in peace~and fly with the angels in Heaven.

Blessings to you and your family~

http://dl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/132/132031jviedtv86c.jpg (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

MaskRider
September 19th, 2010, 08:13
Sorry to hear of your family's loss, Kurt. That is just a sad shame. Poor little sweetheart.

My condolences to your brother and sister in law.

MR

Take53084
September 19th, 2010, 10:12
I just finished flying the 9th of your missions. Superbe!:applause: High quality like DEFENSE OF THE REPUBLIC or LEGION CONDOR. It's hard to stop playing the campaign and to have a break. Thank you very much!
My condolence for the loss of your loved ones.

Ghostrider
September 19th, 2010, 11:32
So sorry to hear of the loss of your niece, CK. My sincerest condolences to you and yours.

Take53084
September 19th, 2010, 17:22
In the 18th mission I had a funny view of the airfields at the arrival at Port Moresby. How to change the view of this grey airfield on the left?

Jagdflieger
September 19th, 2010, 17:35
Looks like you're missing a texture file for that airfield.

I'd isolate which airfield pack is producing the problem by turning off the 9th FS airfields first and if the problem is still there, turn 9th FS back on and then turn off Maskrider's New Guinea airfields. I'm sure one of those two packs is the offender. I'm pretty sure that the missing airfield is probably one of Maskriders.

Given the airfield's size and location, I think that it is probably 5 Mile or 7 Mile airfield.

Let us know if this leads you in the right direction.

MaskRider
September 19th, 2010, 17:48
If that is Port Moresby then it is most likely Pen32win's Port Moresby pack.

Talon
September 19th, 2010, 19:10
OK Flyers,

This from Captain Kurt from his other thread.

The gray patches are my fault. There are 2 bgl files in the Addon folder that are not supposed to be there. I am reassembling the self installer and sending it in for posting which will fix this oversight.

In the meantime for those who have already installed, the fix is easy. Go to the "Addons" folder, then the "9th FS Fields" folder, and then to the sub-folder "Scenery". Open it and find these 2 bgl files:

New_Guinea_3.bgl
New_Guinea_3m.bgl

Remove these 2 files and the grey areas will be gone.

Talon

Take53084
September 20th, 2010, 03:42
OK Flyers,

This from Captain Kurt from his other thread.

The gray patches are my fault. There are 2 bgl files in the Addon folder that are not supposed to be there. I am reassembling the self installer and sending it in for posting which will fix this oversight.

In the meantime for those who have already installed, the fix is easy. Go to the "Addons" folder, then the "9th FS Fields" folder, and then to the sub-folder "Scenery". Open it and find these 2 bgl files:

New_Guinea_3.bgl
New_Guinea_3m.bgl

Remove these 2 files and the grey areas will be gone.

Talon

That did the trick. Thank you, Talon! :salute:

Captain Kurt
September 20th, 2010, 06:20
Thank you all for your kind words.

Take53084, it is nice to see you after all this time. Are you working on any new campaigns? The Philippines were really good.

Al, that was a fast response, thanks.

tonybones2112
September 20th, 2010, 06:57
Aw, thank you folks.

It's been a hard few days. I just returned from a 4 day trip to be with my brother and sister in law while their daughter, my neice, died of liver failure.

Returning home to find this thread bouyed my spirits and it meant a lot to me.

Kurt, please accept my condolences. It's hard my friend.

I took one whole night from midnight till dawn and downloaded your campaign(I'm on dialup). It's running solo on an 800 Mhz Win 98 machine. It rocks man, it's been my friend the last few days which have been a bit tough for me too. Great stress relief buddy. My prayers for you and your brother's family and my thnaks for this killer campaign.

Tony

Take53084
September 20th, 2010, 14:56
Thank you all for your kind words.

Take53084, it is nice to see you after all this time. Are you working on any new campaigns? The Philippines were really good.

Al, that was a fast response, thanks.

Great to see you still creating fantastic campaigns! I'm still thinking about my ARTIC CONVOY CAMPAIGN which I have already started but I'm way apart of finishing it. And your KISS-idea (keep-it-simple-stupid) really struck me. We'll see. Great to be around again with all these passionate, friendly and gifted people here in this forum. :jump:

alpha_1
September 20th, 2010, 18:10
My condolences, Captain Kurt......to you and your family.....tough stuff!

Hey take53084! How ya doin'?

Cheers!

Jagdflieger
September 20th, 2010, 18:26
Good to have you back with us Take! Es freut uns sehr sie wieder zu sehen!

Have you seen all of the recently produced cargo ships for CFS 2? Lots of nice targets for those Ju 88s and He 111s in an "Arctic Campaign."

scruffbag
September 21st, 2010, 00:32
where can i find this campaign?

Take53084
September 21st, 2010, 04:20
My condolences, Captain Kurt......to you and your family.....tough stuff!

Hey take53084! How ya doin'?

Cheers!

Hi Alpha_1,
you are the man who revived my old addiction for CFS2 - :icon_lol:. Good to see you! :wavey:

Take53084
September 21st, 2010, 04:21
Good to have you back with us Take! Es freut uns sehr sie wieder zu sehen!

Have you seen all of the recently produced cargo ships for CFS 2? Lots of nice targets for those Ju 88s and He 111s in an "Arctic Campaign."

Hi Jagdflieger,
Good to meet you again. I will check those ships out.

alpha_1
September 21st, 2010, 05:19
Check the warbirds downloads library under CFS2 Campaigns.....it should be there.

Ahhhhh Take!.........we all await more of your virtual delights!:salute:

skylane
September 22nd, 2010, 23:18
I´m sorry to hear about your loss, Captain Kurt! My condolences to you and to your family!

dvslats
September 25th, 2010, 14:50
Hi There Captain Kurt,
First off I'd like to say Thanks for putting out this massive project. :ernae:

I finally made a fresh install for your campaign and loaded her up. Boy, that was easy!

There is one issue I'm having with firing up the P-40E 7th FS,P-40E 8th FS, and P-40E 9th FS aircraft.

These will start up fine, but in a matter of a few seconds the power plants shut down. I can keep"em running only if the throttle is fire-walled immediately...but it has to be done quickly.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue. :ques:

Thanks Captain, Dave

Worthless
September 25th, 2010, 18:30
Same solution too. Otherwise it's smooth as silk.

dvslats
September 26th, 2010, 06:00
In regard to my previous post...after playing around with this a little more, I found that if the throttle is pegged and brought back quickly she runs just fine.

This way one doesn't have to work so hard to fight the torque of instant 100% power.
So it's not really an issue at all.

Who knows...maybe this had to be done with the real war bird. :wavey:

Dave

mariereid
September 26th, 2010, 06:01
I'm finding if I open the throttle to a little over 1/8th, when starting, they will continue to run. :ernae:

dvslats
September 26th, 2010, 06:06
Simultaneous posts by me and you there mariereid. :ernae:

Captain Kurt
September 26th, 2010, 08:20
Hi guys,

Perhaps I should have included the P-40E Pilots Handbook which was part of the original model package. I omited it because it had lots of images and it's size added to an already large download. Here is the text, without the images once again because of size of the post.

Note what it says about starting the engine. You guys already figured out how to do it.

Just wait until you need to figure out how to belly land a P-38 - now there is a real challenge. :wavey:

Cheers, Kurt

KM P-40E Version 4
Pilot's Operating Handbook

Changes for Version 4
Many changes were incorporated into V4 of this P-40E. Most important is the visual model. The longitudinal axis was relocated so as to be directly through the center of the wings rather than through the propeller shaft as before which will result in more realistic behavior when viewed externally. Also the visual model has been completely reworked to include a higher level of detail; the landing gear and gear doors, cowl flaps, radiator and many other areas were redone. In addition the virtual cockpit is all-new with many new details. There is a new 2D panel that even more realistic in appearance.
The textures were also revised, with a new propeller texture that is extremely realistic. It is reflective and also has "depth" when viewed directly from the side, unlike the stock propellers which are razor thin and disappear. The prop behavior is very smooth and realistic.
The flight model was further revised, with control response to airspeed more finely tuned. In particular the aileron response throughout the flight envelope has been revised. The force feedback behavior has also been revised.
The engine starting procedure has been changed. Like the real aircraft, the throttle must now be cracked open to about 15% or 1/8 open or the engine will not remain running. Once the engine is started and the throttle has been advanced to 1000 rpm, it can then be reduced to idle.
General Information
The Curtiss P-40E was a solid performer but required a high level of skill to handle. The narrow landing gear and powerful engine created a skittish aircraft on takeoff and landing. However, the P-40E was faster than its Japanese opponents and could leave them behind very easily in a dive. Its six .50 caliber machine guns were quite potent as well. The P-40 acquitted itself with great honor in the China-Burma-India (CBI) theatre as well as the Pacific theatre (PTO). The P-40 was a ubiquitous aircraft; a total of 13,143 P-40s of all variants were produced, 13 percent of all U.S. fighters.
This flight model is the result of a great deal of research and is representative of the real aircraft in many particulars. The primary source for hard data was the reference volume "America's Hundred Thousand." This was supplemented by information from "Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WWII," "Major Piston Aero Engines of WWII," and "American Warplanes of WWII." In addition, pilots who actually flew the aircraft in combat were interviewed as to the plane's traits and behavior and a number of actual P-40E startups and overflights were observed.
Like the real aircraft, this plane has a marked tendency to roll to the left on the application of throttle. This is worst during approach with full flaps and gear down. A sudden application of power will cause the plane to roll uncontrollably to the left and most likely will result in a crash. This can also be quite troublesome during takeoff if the aircraft is not properly trimmed.
The ailerons and rudder are not very effective at low speed. A lot of stick deflection will be needed to control the aircraft during takeoff and landing. This is historically accurate. The controls will firm up with speed, and at around 300 mph indicated airspeed they are well-harmonized. The maximum roll rate with only wing guns and the main fuselage tank (select "Combat Trim" from the payload menu) is about 2.5 seconds for a full roll at 360 mph IAS. With a heavier load the handling will naturally decline. The P-40 was considered to be one of the fastest rolling American fighters of the war, and while there may be debate over just which one was indeed the fastest, there is no argument at all that the P-40 was in the running for the title.
Roll Rates
Modern-day warbird pilots report an unarmed but fully-fueled P-51D Mustang as being able to complete a full roll at optimal airspeed in 1.8 seconds. This flight model author can attest to the fact that the Mustang can certainly complete a full roll in 2 seconds as he was aboard such an aircraft when the maneuver was performed. The P-40E was unquestionably a faster rolling plane than the Mustang. Thus a 2.5-second full roll is reasonable for this aircraft with full aileron deflection at optimum speed with a minimal fuel load and wing guns. The roll rates and control response for this aircraft, Version 4, have been further refined and adjusted.
Once airborne and above 170 mph IAS, the plane is quite pleasant to fly but requires constant attention to trim and a light touch on the controls. A top quality FFB joystick such as the MS Sidewinder will greatly add to a pilot's ability to control this aircraft. Rudder pedals further assist in control as they remove the unnatural twisting action from the stick, which invariably affects elevator and aileron input. The plane will roll in a fairly relaxed manner at lower airspeeds, picking up performance as it approaches 300 mph. Below 200 mph the aircraft is not especially responsive but it is predictable and easily controlled although trim will require constant attention. This is historically accurate.
The force feedback for ground bumps, gear thumps, and other extraneous inputs has been set to "soft" for this flight model. These greatly interfere with takeoff and landing. An unanticipated "thump" just after rotation can create an unwanted control input and result in a crash. They are set soft enough to prevent interference but are still perceptible.
The Panel
This new version of the P-40E V4 includes a completely new panel which has a high level of fidelity to the layout of the actual P-40E instrument panel.

The icons on the right will bring up the various popup panels. An autopilot, ADF, CFS2 GPS, trim controls, ECU, and fuel management controls are available, making this plane very easy to fly on extended missions. With full fuel this aircraft has a range of about 1200 miles, an historically accurate figure. The normal fuel loadout (Combat Trim) uses only the main central fuel tanks, which hold a total of 85.6 gallons and will provide about a 200 mile combat radius depending on how the aircraft is flown. Selecting the long range fuel payload increases total fuel to 201.1 gallons, 52 in the belly tank and 63.5 in the fuselage tank behind the pilot. Select the belly tank by using the "L DROP" position and the fuselage tank by using the "R DROP" position. Either or both tanks can be dropped or dumped by selecting and dropping them in the usual way.
The panel includes a "Takeoff/Landing" view that simulates the better perspective the pilot would have if he leaned forward and craned his neck a bit. This helps a lot with visibility during takeoff and landing. Click on the compass icon for this view or assign a key to "Look left/up" to bring up this view. It looks like this:

Starting the Engine
To start the engine, you must first open the throttle to about 1/8. Otherwise the engine will not remain running. Increase the rpm to 1000 after the engine starts. The throttle may then be place to idle position and the engine will remain on.
Takeoff
This airplane is quite challenging during takeoff, and very challenging to land. But it can be accomplished with practice and a very light touch on the stick and rudder. Follow the checklist for takeoff and set the aileron and rudder trim as indicated in the image (for our purposes each index mark has a value of one, thus these settings are "+2" for both aileron and rudder):

Set the elevator trim to the "takeoff" mark on the elevator trim control. If carrying a bomb or extra fuel, use up to 15 degrees of flaps and use a little more nose-down trim. Flaps positions are 5/15/30/45 degrees.
After the trim is set, hold the brakes and run the manifold pressure up to 42.9 inches at 3000 rpm. This is an historically accurate normal takeoff setting. Using more power will make the plane difficult to control and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary for short runways. Hold the stick all the way back (full up elevator) to keep the tailwheel firmly on the ground, and all the way to the right to counter torque, then release the brakes. Use right rudder to compensate for the left-turning tendency as the plane begins to roll. As the plane reaches about 60 mph, neutralize the elevator but maintain full right aileron. Allow the tail to lift at around 90 mph to improve visibility but do not force the tail up. At around 120 mph the aircraft will want to fly; allow it to fly itself off the runway by applying a bit of gentle back pressure, maintaining enough right aileron to level the wings. The plane will want to roll left as soon as the wheels leave the ground. Letting the wheels skim the ground a bit until you have full aileron authority is not a bad idea. Once the plane is airborne and under control with a positive rate of climb, retract the gear. Retract the flaps after reaching 500 feet altitude and 150 mph. Trim the ailerons and rudder to approximately +1 (first index mark) after reducing power and retracting flaps and gear. A good cruise climb speed is around 150 mph IAS at 35" and 2600 rpm.
Landing
Landing is much more complicated than takeoff. Assuming no wind, set your pattern altitude a bit high, at 1100 feet AGL. Gear can be dropped at 170 mph IAS which will start to lower your airspeed. Push the nose down to maintain your speed and control but allow the airspeed to drop to 140 mph IAS, when you can begin lowering the flaps in stages. If you are flying a normal pattern, the gear should be down when you are abeam (alongside or even with) the middle of the runway. Extend your downwind leg as long as you need to to get the first flaps position in. As your speed drops, the controls will get very sloppy and you will need to be very smooth and coordinated, especially when turning. Use no more than 30 degrees of bank, 20 degrees is better. Add the second notch of flaps after you turn base and look for a rate of descent of about 500-700 fpm. After turning final, add the third, and finally the fourth notch of flaps, re-trimming the elevator after each change of flap position. As the speed drops the nose will begin to point further up, making your visibility even worse. Don't make a straight-in approach to the runway; slip the plane by using opposite rudder and aileron so the runway remains in your sight until the last possible moment, then turn and coordinate the controls before crossing the runway threshold. On a straight-in approach (no pattern), make S-turns as you come in to keep the runway off one side or the other of the plane's nose to keep it in sight, or come in using a very gentle turn in order to keep the runway in sight. The following series of images illustrates a proper straight-in approach:

Keep the runway off to one side of the nose as you drop the gear and retrim. Airspeed is about 140 mph IAS.

In the second image, we have dropped the gear and all four notches of flaps and have S-turned to the right of the runway, and are just beginning to turn back to the left. Airspeed is about 120 mph IAS.

Here is what the runway should look like just as you round out at about 110 mph IAS.

Here is the correct attitude of the aircraft as you cross the runway threshold: nose up, about 100 mph IAS.

Touchdown just before stalling at a three-point attitude, about 90 mph. Once the plane is on the ground, immediately retract flaps and apply the brakes firmly. Hold the stick all way back to keep the tailwheel firmly on the ground for directional control.
Landing this aircraft successfully is very difficult and is one of the more rewarding experiences of CFS2. This aircraft was developed at the "hard" setting. If you have difficulty, please set your simulator to "medium" or "easy" until you develop the skills needed to control the aircraft. Then advance the difficulty level back to "hard."
Range, Climb, and Cruise Settings
The maximum range attainable by this aircraft with a full fuel load (belly and fuselage tanks and full main tanks) is a theoretical 1236 statute miles, historically accurate for this aircraft. This is obtained at the most economical setting. The following are climb, cruise, and fuel consumption statistics for this flight model:
Cruise climb to 10,000 feet
Time -- 12 min. 32 sec.
Distance -- 28 nautical miles
Fuel used -- 14 gallons
Economical cruise settings
Altitude: 10,000'
Manifold Pressure -- 23.2"
RPM -- 2000
Fuel consumption -- 27.5 gph
IAS -- 155 mph
Ground speed -- 178 mph
Range (max fuel) -- 1236 statute miles
At a high cruising speed the fuel consumption increases dramatically. The following data are for a high cruise speed of 220 mph IAS:
Maximum cruise settings
Altitude -- 10,000'
Airspeed -- 220 mph IAS
Ground speed -- 253 mph
Manifold Pressure -- 30"
RPM -- 2200
Fuel consumption -- 44.5 gph
Range (max fuel) -- 1084 statute miles
Amplified Fuel Procedures
This aircraft has two main central tanks which have been combined into a single tank for ease of fuel management, primarily because suitable fuel selectors are not available. In the payloads menu, "Combat Trim" selects just the "main" tanks which hold 85 gallons and will provide a maximum combat radius of about 200 miles depending on how the plane is flown. Selecting the extra tanks in the payloads menu adds the 65 gallon fuselage tank to the rear of the pilot and the 52 gallon belly tank. To operate with maximum internal fuel, select this option and just drop the belly tank before taking off. This will extend the radius to around 400 miles, historically accurate for full internal fuel load. If desired, the rear fuselage tank can be "dumped" by simply dropping it. This will enhance combat performance substantially but you may not make it home.
The fuel selector will select either the belly tank, main tanks, or rear fuselage tank in that order.
Critical speeds
Stall, clean: 90 mph
Stall, dirty: 84 mph
Max gear down: 170 mph IAS
Max flaps down: 140 mph IAS
Do not exceed: 485 mph IAS
Climb: 150-160 mph IAS

mariereid
September 26th, 2010, 11:44
"a very light touch on the stick and rudder" Ah, that's my problem! I've been flailing my feet and hands around like a mad man! I believe it gives one the feeling of what it must have been like to fly the P-40. From the reading I have done, there DID seem to be a lot of planes lost on take off and landing. I'm just keeping it real! Practice makes perfect...or at least a little better! Great plane, I love it!:salute::ernae:

Take53084
September 30th, 2010, 16:28
I think something is wrong with a bgl-file here.

Take53084
October 1st, 2010, 12:15
From the folder ADDON - 9th FS Fields I deleted:

TACLOBANWATER.bgl
TACLOBANWATER_exc1.bgl

But still I have the same effect as to be seen in the first mission/fourth tour. Who knows the trick to get rid of this black area in the water?

dvslats
October 2nd, 2010, 15:34
Hi Take53084,

If you deleted those two .bgl, TACLOBANWATER.bgl and TACLOBANWATER_exc1.bgl that should get rid of the black square.

You will also need to delete the filelist dat.

I have two batch files here made by leroy10 that go into the main CFS2 root folder.
Just double click on these one at a time and they will do the work for you.

My guess is that road across the channel was 9trying to be covered. A common problem in the PTO scenery.

Dv

Take53084
October 2nd, 2010, 15:53
Thank you dvslats,
I will try this again but this time I will delete the filelist dat. aswell. Thank you again for your answer.

Take53084
October 2nd, 2010, 16:26
Deleting the filelist.dat in the scenedb-folders finally solved the problem. :salute: :ernae:

Captain Kurt
October 2nd, 2010, 20:01
Sorry for being absent temporarily - work demands a lot sometimes. I'm glad you found the problem.

Take53084
October 2nd, 2010, 23:12
No problem. Finally somebody knew the solution. :ernae:

Take53084
October 5th, 2010, 15:40
Today I finished all the missions in this campaign of the 9th Fighter group. Thank you all very much who were involved to create it. It is a fantastic set of campaigns!!! :applause: :ernae::icon29:

Captain Kurt
October 5th, 2010, 19:04
Thanks Take, I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Please give me a little feed back on the non-combat missions, such as weather, ferry, engine failures, moves, etc. They are there to give the feel of what it was like for the pilots who lived it. But I've always wondered if the player would find them to be boring or interesting.

mariereid
October 6th, 2010, 05:36
Very interesting! The enemy was not the only thing you had to worry about.:salute::ernae:

skylane
October 7th, 2010, 23:55
Captain Kurt,

I like the non-combat missions. You did a great job making them interesting. It is not necessary to shoot at something every time you fly!
In fact, I played with the same idea in my Buffalo missions because including this kind of missions much better enabls you to tell the story of a campaign.