PDA

View Full Version : Is this available for FSX

jmig
September 13th, 2010, 18:08
Will all the threads about what is "needed" in FSX, I would like to ask if this is available. It might not be needed but I darn sure would buy it.

I am looking for a utility that would allow me to sort my airplanes by different categories like all War birds in one hanger. Bi-Planes in another, etc.

Tako_Kichi
September 13th, 2010, 20:22
Will all the threads about what is "needed" in FSX, I would like to ask if this is available. It might not be needed but I darn sure would buy it.

I am looking for a utility that would allow me to sort my airplanes by different categories like all War birds in one hanger. Bi-Planes in another, etc.
You don't need an add-on/utility as you can do it very easily yourself by editing the aircraft.cfg file in Notepad.

I have all my WWII warbirds listed in one group, amphibians in another, single and twin GA and single and twin turboprop are four more groups, Mil Jets is yet another, etc., etc., etc.

The line you need to edit in each aircraft is:

ui_typerole="XXX" where "XXX" is the group you would like the aircraft to appear in.

If the above line is not there just add it for each paint (i.e. each [fltsim.XXX] entry). It can go anywhere in each [fltsim.XXX] section but I usually place it with the other 'ui_xxx' entries. Don't forget to save the file after you have made all your changes.

When you start FSX go to the aircraft selection screen and drop down the menu item on the right side of the box and all your groups will be there. Select one and only that type of aircraft will appear in the main window.

The same thing can be done for aircraft manufacturer or developer so you could list say all 'de Havilland' aircraft or all A2A aircraft using this method (using 'ui_manufacturer=XXX' and 'ui_createdby=XXX' and either the first or second drop down menu). Unfortunately a lot of developers neglect this feature in their products and I frequently have to sort through my hangar to reorganize the aircraft that show up as either 'Legacy' or 'Unknown' because the relevant lines are missing.

falcon409
September 13th, 2010, 20:44
Yep, that's a simple way to pull it off all right, but I think (and I may be wrong) what jmig is looking for is a way to physically move those aircraft to separate folders (hangars) and then have FSX recognize those new locations.

Am I in the ballpark Jmig or is what Larry suggested what you're actually looking for?

OleBoy
September 13th, 2010, 21:07
I like the sounds of what you're explaining Larry. For a fresh install and very few flyables it would be a good way to get a continued grasp as each is installed. But let's talk about a preexisting installation where there are literally hundreds of flyables. The way you refer to do it gets the job done, but that could take days, weeks..even months. The inevitable FS crash could sneak in any moment and it would all be a lost cause. YIKES!!

Thinking out loud here. But maybe we have someone with the skills in programming who might take a stab at my idea.

Sounds like a good approach would be to have a program that reads all the aircraft.cfgs in the aircraft/rotary folders and then brings them up in a list. Then a drop-down list where multiple default settings can be set, and/or adjusted to the individuals likings. The option to scroll through the list putting a check next to particular aircraft. Then let the program change the settings for you as a batch-file type process. Would be a time saver for sure. And a nifty little program.

falcon409
September 13th, 2010, 21:53
This has made me think of a software program I was given a link to a few years ago. . .used it a few times and then completely forgot about it. There has been an update since the one I downloaded and the update includes some additions to what was already a pretty cool program. I'm not going to attempt to explain what it does. . .it may not help in this situation at all, but it might be something worth looking into if you don't already have it. It's called FlusiFix-2006 and it can be found here:
http://www.wolfgang-picheta.de/