PDA

View Full Version : How stupid is this?

Snuffy
September 13th, 2010, 14:37
If I found out a plane I was booking had these "seats" I'm gonna go find a different plane.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/09/13/semi-standing-seats-proposed-passenger-planes/?test=faces

TARPSBird
September 13th, 2010, 17:12
Typical airlines. "Hey, let's see how many more people we can get in the plane..." :frown:

Dain Arns
September 13th, 2010, 17:54
I don't know what's worse.
That seat, or the fact the CEO of Ryanair admits they are seriously considering looking into the possibility of 'Standing Areas'. :isadizzy:
They could call that passenger area 'Steerage', like they had for immigrants on the Titanic...

Nothing like taking a giant leap backwards in safety.
Seems to be the trend these days.
Money is more important than people. :mad:

demorier
September 14th, 2010, 01:18
"...lowering ticket prices.." hmmmm, we'll see.

stansdds
September 14th, 2010, 02:04
I've pretty much given up on commercial flying. Between the TSA searches of children and old woman and now what can truly be called "cattle class" flying... well, with these seats it would be "sardine class".

Quixoticish
September 14th, 2010, 02:18
I don't know what's worse.
That seat, or the fact the CEO of Ryanair admits they are seriously considering looking into the possibility of 'Standing Areas'. :isadizzy:
They could call that passenger area 'Steerage', like they had for immigrants on the Titanic...

Nothing like taking a giant leap backwards in safety.
Seems to be the trend these days.

The CEO of Ryanair is a publicity seeking attention whore and the vast majority of what he says is just to get his company back into the spotlight by stirring up some controversy. The media and public never fail to give him exactly what he wants by reporting it and acting outraged rather than just ignoring it.

Bjoern
September 14th, 2010, 11:16
Some friends and me had a similar idea for a ID project. It's just for use in buses, trams, subways, etc...'though.

http://i52.tinypic.com/11ucb2u.jpg

Money makes the world go 'round, what d'ya expect?

The CEO of Ryanair is a publicity seeking attention whore and the vast majority of what he says is just to get his company back into the spotlight by stirring up some controversy. The media and public never fail to give him exactly what he wants by reporting it and acting outraged rather than just ignoring it.

My dad taught me that "Even a bad impression is better than none".
Anything goes if it makes people talk about it.

stiz
September 14th, 2010, 11:20
"...lowering ticket prices.." hmmmm, we'll see.

thing is though, you might be paying less for the actuall ticket, but they slap you with credit use, online booking fee, booking fee etc so in the end you pay just as much as you would normanly

Willy
September 14th, 2010, 16:36
And to think that back in 1946 an airline started up with carved mahogany interiors, a 15 place dining table set up in the back of the plane with a chef onboard that the Captain sat at the head of. Pan American couldn't stand the competition so they called in some political favors and within two years the airline was gone. But they were flying full loads while Pan Am on the same route was having trouble getting a half of a plane load. Might be something there for the airlines today to think about if they'd quit letting their bean counters do their thinking for them.

Navy Chief
September 14th, 2010, 16:45
A few months ago when Ryanair announced it was considering charging customers to use the bathroom, I knew things had gotten bad...........

NC

Bjoern
September 15th, 2010, 10:12

How many people could afford air travel in the 1940s? Ten out of hundred?

If you want to spend a forkload of money on a ticket today, you'll just book first class and get somethng along these lines...
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Airbus-A380-861/1761855/L/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cathay-Pacific-Airways/Boeing-777-367-ER/1741585/L/

If you want socializing with fellow travellers nowadays, you'll just book a transatlantic cruise on a ship.

Willy
September 15th, 2010, 11:06
Apparently you missed the point that the level of service the airlines provide has steadly dropped down the through the years. I used to enjoy flying on airliners. But now I refuse to be herded like cattle.

Bjoern
September 15th, 2010, 11:15
Apparently you missed the point that the level of service the airlines provide has steadly dropped down the through the years. I used to enjoy flying on airliners. But now I refuse to be herded like cattle.

I bet the first class service is still on par with the good old days.

Buy me a first class ticket to Boston and retour and I'll find out first hand and report back. ;)