PDA

View Full Version : Frame rates

hammer353
September 12th, 2010, 17:04
Is it better to have my frame rates lock at a certain number or have it set at unlimited?

skyhawka4m
September 12th, 2010, 17:16
I have found that locking it helps eliminate stutter. Find that sweet spot where you sim will almost always fly. Mine right now is 33FPS.

peter12213
September 12th, 2010, 18:14
between 30 and 35 for me, my opinion never set to unlimited it just causes to many stutters even on good comps!

falcon409
September 12th, 2010, 19:03
Is it better to have my frame rates lock at a certain number or have it set at unlimited?
lol, in all honesty, that's like asking "What is the meaning of life", lol
There are so many opinions based on that one question as to make any answer you get just a shot in the dark. Bottom line answer. . ."whatever works for you". I say that because of the answers you've gotten so far. . .none of those work for me. I've never used the "locked" option and had it be anywhere close. . .I always use "unlimited" and let the fps fall where they may. . .why?. . .because that's what works for me.:salute:

skyblazer3
September 12th, 2010, 19:36
It depends on the kind of flying you are doing. For formation flying you must lock your frames at no higher than 29FPS. Any higher than 29FPS and the multiplayer data will not update as fast as the screen redraws.... other aircraft will jig all over the sky and it will be impossible to fly off of them.

heywooood
September 12th, 2010, 19:57
I am locked @ 22 fps

I have a heavily modified .cfg

I found that with my .cfg set up as it is...and with FPS locked @ 22 - My rig can easily set up the frames and get them rendered fast enough to give me smooth flights and camera pans - and prevent stutters and render lag, usually caused by a rig struggling to maintain too high an FPS number.
My way (on my rig) gives me crisp, clear scenery and textures in every plane model I use and in most weather (thank you Tim and REX and the GEX crew) with no blurred terrain and zero texture lag.

start with a low number - and see if you get render lag (the brief all white or partially rendered screen as you switch views) or stutters (the brief stoppages caused by heavy scenery coupled with a high FPS lock that can manifest as 'blurred' ground or 'popping' trees and buildings)
If you get a pass and the FPS stay pinned to the locked number sneak it up a little...until you reach the binding point and then back it off a frame or two.

This has worked for me

stansdds
September 13th, 2010, 02:00
I found that "unlimited" gives me some high frame rates, but they fluctuate wildly over cities and seem to induce stutters in the rendering. Mine is currently locked at 30 fps and that seems to be about the best my machine can do. Anything from 24 and up is fine for a flight sim, it's the smoothness or lack thereof that makes or breaks the flight sim experience. A glass smooth 20 fps will actually look and feel a lot better than a jittery 30 fps.

Snave
September 13th, 2010, 03:03
Over in a private forum there was a considerable scuttlebutt that setting `unlimited` with the sim `short changes` certain aspects of the flight modelling and other invisible renders (like weather) in favour of prioritising certain visual aspects.

FSX uses `threads` to allocate resources to the various facets of its depiction - mesh, scenery, aircraft, flight models and weather to name but a few, and setting unlimited either shares priority equally across all threads, regardless of demand (which is why the `heavy` load on visual settings can see blurries with unlimited fps enabled) OR it can release resources within your PC to display something better than it was previously.

It is a matter of seconds to check as you can make the change while the sim is running.

Use a default startup scenario to remove variability caused by addons, and simply try the same flight first with fps to unlimited, then restart the flight but set to whatever locked fps setting you want to try. YOU MUST RELOAD THE FLIGHT!

See which is better for YOU and never mind what anyone else says... :wavey:

txnetcop
September 13th, 2010, 03:13
Over in a pricate forum there was a considerable scuttlebutt that setting `unlimited` with the sim `short changes` certain aspects of the flight modelling and other invisible renders (like weather) in favour of prioritising certain visual aspects.

FSX uses `threads` to allocate resources to the various facets of its depiction - mesh, scenery, aircraft, flight models and weather to name but a few, and setting unlimited either shares priority equally across all threads, regardless of demand (which is why the `heavy` load on visual settings can see blurries with unlimited fps enabled) OR it can release resources within your PC to display something better than it was previously.

It is a matter of seconds to check as you can make the change while the sim is running.

Use a default startup scenario to remove variability caused by addons, and simply try the same flight first with fps to unlimited, then restart the flight but set to whatever locked fps setting you want to try. YOU MUST RELOAD THE FLIGHT!

See which is better for YOU and never mind what anyone else says... :wavey:

I agree!

James
September 13th, 2010, 03:35
Mine are locked at 19 :(