PDA

View Full Version : Texan or Stearman?

Wittpilot
September 11th, 2010, 11:40
Okay, so at our local fly-in they are offering rides in a Stearman ($239 with 30 min of YOU flying.. or so the sign says) & a T-6 ($150 for a shorter time I believe)

So, which one do I take? Anybody have any advice?

-witt

Duckie
September 11th, 2010, 11:54
OPEN COCKPIT - if you've never done it! :jump:

That's me up front, the one with the big grin!

Curtis P40
September 11th, 2010, 12:00
It's only money, due both. :icon_lol: But if you have to chose it would be hard to argue with Duckie.

Curtis P40
September 11th, 2010, 12:02
It's only money, due both. :icon_lol: But if you have to chose it would be hard to argue with Duckie.

That's roughly the same price for a B-17 flight.

Wittpilot
September 11th, 2010, 12:07
That's roughly the same price for a B-17 flight.

For some people.... "insert evil laughter here".......

Motormouse
September 11th, 2010, 12:37
18401If you can get front seat, Texan (I done that, downside-up)!!

ttfn

Pete

Dain Arns
September 11th, 2010, 13:08
No brainer for me, Stearman = Stick Time, with you in control. :icon_lol:

TomSteber
September 11th, 2010, 13:27
It is hard to beat actual stick time and open cockpit! Although, it would be fun to be up front to hear the growl of a T-6 up close and personal. If it was me, I'd have to pick longer flight and stick time. Then pick the T-6 next time.

d0mokun
September 11th, 2010, 13:39
Having done both around Tauranga, and being a firm lover of both aeroplanes- I'd have to suggest the Harvard.

Despite open cockpit flying being all that it is, the T-6 seems to have such an air of grandeur about it. For me it has been the ultimate aircraft to be in, thus far.

Whichever you go for- you'll undoubtedly enjoy it.

Dan.

stansdds
September 11th, 2010, 14:07
Tough call, but I'd probably pick the Texan unless it was just a 10 minute hop.

TARPSBird
September 11th, 2010, 15:57
If both flights were the same, 30 minutes, I'd go with the T-6 but in this case I'll pick the Stearman because you get stick time too. Whichever you pick, have fun! :)

Willy
September 11th, 2010, 16:13
With the stick time, I'd have to go with the Stearman.

Wittpilot
September 11th, 2010, 16:58
Still haven't made up my mind yet... I probably won't decide till the last minute.
-witt

mikezola
September 11th, 2010, 18:19
Hello-
A few years ago my father bought me a 1-hour flight in a Texan, courtesy of North American Top Gun- I got front seat, and the only time I wasn't on the stick was takeoff and landing. Cuban eights, loops, barrel rolls, the whole shot- it was incredible! But I can definitely see where having the wind in you face could make it that much better... A tough choice! -Mike Z.

PeteHam
September 11th, 2010, 19:29
I'd have to say ..... Stearman :icon_lol:

Doesn't this look like fun :jump:

Pete.

papab
September 12th, 2010, 02:56
T-6!
Wife bought me a 1 hour flight at Warbird Adventures in Kissimmee,Fl several years ago. Have a DVD of the entire flight. The loop was the most fantastic part...
http://warbirdadventures.com/

jmig
September 12th, 2010, 04:20
Whichever one excites you the most. It is your ride.

Motormouse
September 12th, 2010, 09:21
T-6!
Wife bought me a 1 hour flight at Warbird Adventures in Kissimmee,Fl several years ago. Have a DVD of the entire flight. The loop was the most fantastic part...
http://warbirdadventures.com/

likewise with my phot earlier...I had stick and rudder from gear up, to gear down...:jump::jump:

ttfn

Pete

norab
September 12th, 2010, 11:01
take the Stearman, We gave my dad one of the short T-6 hops and no sticktime at all

Wittpilot
September 12th, 2010, 15:02
Drum Roll Please............................

Stearman it is!

d0mokun
September 12th, 2010, 15:04
Needless to ask (but I will anyway), did you enjoy it?

:ernae:

Wittpilot
September 12th, 2010, 15:29
HA...
I was slightly worried as I'm not huge into the roller coaster type thrills, and today it was quite windy... the sock was full and it was probably gusting to about 20... The pilot, Waldo Wright, said that if our airport didn't have that grass strip, we wouldn't have been flying.

It was a sweet ride and really nothing like I imagined. I took just a short hop, & I bought my old man the 30 min flight where they do a maneuver then you do the same yourself. Waldo is a pretty neat guy, all 8 feet of him! Seriously, he's a rather tall fellow.

Here's his website:
http://www.waldowrights.com

-witt

d0mokun
September 12th, 2010, 16:54
Hehe, great stuff. That website is very smooth- it looks like the operation has a real class and atmosphere.

The next obligatory question is (of course), when will you go back and do the T-6 flight ;) ?

Dan.

Wittpilot
September 12th, 2010, 18:26
Next year probably... My today the price was $100 for about 15 min intro flight... I think the guy is local to Columbus since he left early Saturday to make it to the big Buckeye game.