PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone for Ireland

aeromed202
September 10th, 2010, 16:56
Pardon if this is something of a repeat question but my daughter is doing a study abroad in Ireland. My thinking is that she can pick up a cheap local pay-as-you-go phone over there. Then perhaps that will work calling us back here but if not, a laptop will do. Are there such phones everywhere? Her current phone cannot be made international.

stiz
September 10th, 2010, 17:05
i'm not to cued up, but i'm pretty sure they'll have pay as go phones, allthough 1 thing worth checking is weather its northen ireland or not, NI tends to have different companies etc due to being under british goverment rather than Irish Parliament.

Edit: 1 idea ... if shes got a laptop, buy a cheap mic then use skype for free calls (to other pcs, to landlines costs a little bit) http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/home

kilo delta
September 11th, 2010, 03:24
Yes...we do have pay as you go mobile phones here...who'd a thunk it! ;)

She'll have the option of going with Vodafone,O2,Meteor,An Post,3 etc etc. Bear in mind that international call rates will be extremely expensive. It'd be much,much, muchhhhh cheaper for her to contact her family through Skype (should be readily available in Net cafe's).