PDA

View Full Version : DHC6 question

Daveroo
September 10th, 2010, 06:17
im kinda dumb when it comes to researching stuff...the answer can be in my face and i missit..they call it ADD/ADHD or some such thing...anyway..about the DHC6...i bought the aerosoft version ( i think it was) and it came with wheels and floats....but not a amphibian version..so that got me to lookin on the net for amphibian DHC6 aircraft...hard to find....see alot of turbo DHC3 amphibs..and straight floats...but very very few if none amphib -6's is there a reason for this???

rohan
September 10th, 2010, 06:23
Well, whatever they call it, the answer lies at Premier Aircraft Design. They have amphibian versions of both the DHC-6-300 and DHC-6-400 at http://www.premaircraft.com/. Click on the "aircraft menu" button when you arrive ...

Daveroo
September 10th, 2010, 07:32
no no..im not looking for fsx planes...i would like to know why there are way more straight float versions of the DHC-6 than there are amphibian versions in real life....does it have something to do with the airframe or what?...ive gone through 60 pages of pics at airliners.net and have found very few amphibs

IanP
September 10th, 2010, 08:20
Weight, cost, complexity are the simple answers there.

There are generally a lot more straight floatplanes in the world than there are amphibians, because the complexity, increased maintenance and much greater cost of amphibious floats put most operators off.

If you consider that every dollar spent on maintenance counts against ticket price, every hour spent on maintenance is an extra hour out of revenue service, every extra pound carried counts against payload and amphibious gear also adds drag, making takeoff distances longer and sometimes reducing payload again, you can see why those that can do water-water operations will tend to opt for straight floats over amphibious ones.

We don't have the same limitations that real world operators do, so I'd really love more aphibs in the sim, personally. ;)

Ian P.

pbearsailor
September 10th, 2010, 08:51
While I was flying Twin Otters in Samoa, we got a new (old) airplane in to replace one that had crashed. We all checked it out when it arrived after the ferry flight and saw some cool stuff we'd really appreciate while flying it on the line: flight director, autopilot, and best of all, a couple of cockpit fans to keep us cooler. Couple of days later when it appeared on the line, all that stuff was gone to make it as light as possible, giving it the max payload. :frown:

cheers,
steve :wavey:

Daveroo
September 10th, 2010, 09:17
ok thanks guys..makes sense

peter12213
September 10th, 2010, 12:46
I think it looks wrong too on the DH6, it's too big for being an amphib, I mean without having a hull like the Catalina or Sunderland! Just my opinion!

Javis
September 10th, 2010, 18:55
Would really love if some dev would take up this amphibian :

http://fssupport.com/maam/otter_on_floats.jpg

Not because it's an amphibian so much but rather because then we get treated with the lovely roar of Pratt&Whitney Wasp again instead of the boring whine of a turboprop...

Sorry for being off topic, Daveroo, but it's an Otter alright, amphibious too... ( the honest hardworking radial engine Otter is way too much forgotten for FS(X) imho.. ashame really... If only there were 48 hours in a day...:rolleyes: )

cheers,
Jan

peter12213
September 10th, 2010, 19:09
Didn't Aerosoft do that one? Prtty sure they did mate!

Edit ... No sorry they didn't but it really looks like a Beaver!

Javis
September 10th, 2010, 19:15
Nah.... they did the Twin Otter, Peter. Quite nice actually, apart from the boring whine of 2 turboprops... :)

Edit : yeah they did the Beaver too, quite nice actually again.

See what i mean ? You can't even distinguish an Otter from a Beaver... :wiggle:

Info:

The DeHavilland Canada DHC-3 Otter has never been picked up by a commercial FS dev. Two freeware models appeared in FS98/FS2K/FS2K2, very nice for those days surely.

The DHC-3 Otter turboprop version was quite magnificently done by Chris Coarse ( also by Premier Aircraft i believe.... ) for FS9 and port-over FSX.

peter12213
September 10th, 2010, 19:32
I must admit mate they are very similar love the look of it though mate!:wavey:

heywooood
September 10th, 2010, 20:54
we need an Otter...with a radial.

the most beautiful true amphibian to date....

Dornier Seastar

Bushpounder
September 10th, 2010, 21:07
I just recently suggested to two developers that us bush pilots need a straight s/e Otter with the R-1340. I know there are some with modified power (1000hp and a turbine model) but I want the regular old factory version.

Don