PDA

View Full Version : QUERY; Specular Maps

OleBoy
September 9th, 2010, 10:34
I've got a few questions pertaining to the Spec Map. I searched the internet and come up with a w i d e variety of answers. Nothing that was really FSX specific that went into any detail.
...It's to my understanding that the specular shine is set in the modeling program to allow reflection.

Going based on that, and the principal in what the spec map does, is there a way to lay it out so-to-speak. Like the way that's done with the alpha channel. The spec map is very small compared to the rest of the DDS files that reside in the folder for the model. 512x512 is the size @DDS compression.

While opening the file up and viewing it, it's the same layout as the paint but in very neutral tones..unlike the shades of gray in the standard alpha layer. Now, my thoughts are that I can import the specular map into Adobe Photoshop, enlarge it, change the areas to the same that are different color variants (like the alpha) to where I want more/less shine...and get the effect what I want in-sim.
...Am I thinking in the right direction?

If so, and after viewing the spec map, how do I go about getting the same tones so that when I'm done editing it looks right. This is a part of Adobe Photoshop and repaints that I don't understand. And have never attempted.

If someone could shed some intelligence that my brain will absorb, I will be forever grateful for you sharing your knowledge with a fellow painter.

Specifics are greatly desired. A tutorial even.

Thanks
OleBoy

Bjoern
September 9th, 2010, 11:33
Better: Take the regular texture and make an entirely new spec map from it.

Maybe this post made by Bill L. will help in terms of getting an idea what a spec map is actually for:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132814&postcount=4

The FSX SDK also has a bit of information about specular maps.

OleBoy
September 9th, 2010, 11:44
Thanks!!! On my way.....

Uh boy, this doesn't look very simple. Isn't that more directed to the settings in the modeling program itself, or. can I actually do all this in Photoshop?
...It appears way out of my comprehension at this point

n4gix
September 9th, 2010, 12:02
Better: Take the regular texture and make an entirely new spec map from it.

Maybe this post made by Bill L. will help in terms of getting an idea what a spec map is actually for:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132814&postcount=4

The FSX SDK also has a bit of information about specular maps.

Thanks for that, it saves me a lot of typing... ;)

Some further thoughts on the topic of "specular reflections..."

Consider the color of the sun. It isn't "white" but rather a nicely warm butter-yellow. So, adding just a bit of "butter yellow" into your Photoshop mix is a nice touch...

Flat surfaces will have a wider "specular spread" than tightly curved surfaces, so adjusting the Alpha channel to accomodate this is another nice touch...

A specular color map can be as large as the diffuse color texture for the finest resolution, but it need not be if such precision isn't needed.

Speaking of diffuse color textures, NEVER use pure white! Leave some room for the Alpha reflections of the diffuse color texture to work, as well as the specular color's RGB and Alpha channels! You simply can NEVER get "whiter than white!" :icon_lol:

Dain Arns
September 9th, 2010, 12:37
I think this is a good summary...

http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/Specular_Maps

Bjoern
September 9th, 2010, 12:42
can I actually do all this in Photoshop?

Most of it. "Reflection Scale" and "Specular Power" are set in GMax' Material Editor.

...It appears way out of my comprehension at this point

Hang in there!

Thanks for that, it saves me a lot of typing... ;)

Woohooo, I've helped you for a change (instead of the other way round)! :d

OleBoy
September 9th, 2010, 15:55
Thanks for the help here everyone. Dains link may have cleared some huh..what's?, that were fogging my thoughts.

Bear with me here guys. This, subject is a little beyond my scope of things..but something I really want to learn. Lets back up a little.

Specular brings out the shine by means of using the spectrum of gray, based on pixel colors in the textures.
....The darker the texture color (or natural), the darker the shade of gray (in most cases)

Metal (or shiny surfaces) are laid out in the lighter shades to enhance/increase brightness.

If that is the case here, I'm guessing that I have to start a specular map by method as creating an alpha. In otherwards, build it over the paint template as a whole.?
.....Then, in Adobe Photoshop, where do I start to begin the process? I think it has to start in the "filters" tab..or?

Bjoern
September 11th, 2010, 10:27
Metal (or shiny surfaces) are laid out in the lighter shades to enhance/increase brightness.

Yes. Light = bright, dark = dull.

.....Then, in Adobe Photoshop, where do I start to begin the process? I think it has to start in the "filters" tab..or?

Let me just say this: Unlike in real life, actions done on computers are mostly reversible. So just play around in Photoshop until you get the desired result. The worst that can happen is wasted time.

n4gix
September 11th, 2010, 11:34
Specular brings out the shine by means of using the spectrum of gray, based on pixel colors in the textures.
....The darker the texture color (or natural), the darker the shade of gray (in most cases)

It can, but doesn't have to be limited to shades of gray...

Didn't I just write in my post above to perhaps add a touch of "butter-yellow" to bring out the illusion of sunlight? :173go1:

The Alpha channel of any texture what is limited to "shades of gray."

In fact, Owen Hewitt was very creative with the specular color maps on some of his paints for the Twin Comanche, which allowed for a recreation of "ChromaLusion..."

...as you move around the aircraft in spot view, you can watch the colors change before your eyes! :cool:

On the left is the Diffuse Color and on the right is the Specular Color:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2735/diffuseversusspecular.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/owenhewitt/TC/TC_realside.jpg