PDA

View Full Version : Historic USS Olympia fights to survive

HouseHobbit
September 8th, 2010, 13:09
This is a REAL BUMMER..
http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Lifestyle/Historic-USS-Olympia-fights-to-survive.aspx?cp-searchtext=Historic%20USS%20Olympia%20fights%20to% 20survive

Snuffy
September 9th, 2010, 05:25
Seen this earlier, not sure where though.

Its a pity. Its a very good looking historic landmark ... I'll stop now otherwise I could ruin this thread with political comments that wouldn't be appreciated.

Will have to look into joining the preservation society, though I doubt it'll be enough.

TARPSBird
September 9th, 2010, 11:14
It will be a shame if the Olympia is sunk or scrapped. At least get the ship out of the water and onto dry land. The Mikasa, Adm. Togo's flagship at the Battle of Tsushima, is land-locked at Yokosuka. When you see it you hardly notice it's not afloat. Maybe there are a few senators and congressmen who could take a break from swilling at the public trough long enough to find federal funding to properly preserve the Olympia.

mike_cyul
September 9th, 2010, 12:31
Can't believe anyone would contemplate getting rid of such a rare piece of history!:mad:

Mike

stiz
September 9th, 2010, 14:02
why not just stick it in dry dock?

TARPSBird
September 9th, 2010, 16:58
why not just stick it in dry dock?
That's exactly what needs to be done first. I was thinking maybe it would be possible to put Olympia in a drydock positioned over a large submerged barge with keel blocks in place to hold the cruiser. Pump out the barge, flood the drydock and Olympia is safely out of the water. Even a mom-and-pop shipyard could accomplish that, not to mention the big-name yards.
The captured German submarine U-505 has been preserved at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago as an official National Historic Landmark. We should at least give Olympia the same status and protection.

Lionheart
September 9th, 2010, 17:23
I agree...

To see such a historic landmark go would be lame on behalf of us as a country. That thing is pure history. I didnt even know the Olympia was still afloat. I thought it had sunk during the Mexican war. I guess I have my ships mixed up. It was one that looked similar to this.

The architecture is pre-Battleship and just post Ironclad era. Some beautiful lines on that thing.

I hope it has a secure and well maintained future.

With all the black ops projects we are churning out, surely we can afford to keep this in top shape.

Bill

mike_cyul
September 9th, 2010, 17:40
Just reminded me, there was a great photo of the Oregon on the Shorpy site today, from 1898:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/8911?size=_original

Mike

TARPSBird
September 9th, 2010, 20:06
That's a beautiful pic, so much detail. Look at those steelworkers on the stern. No worries about OSHA safety violations back in those days! :d

PRB
September 9th, 2010, 20:12
That's a great pic, Mike. Love these detailed old photos. Captures a moment in time. Not a very large ship at all. And look at the buildings off in the distance. Amazing. As for Olympia ... words fail ...

bretnutz
September 9th, 2010, 20:47
18245I did Living history aboard the ship back in 1997.

Hate to see her go down...

mike_cyul
September 10th, 2010, 04:24
I did Living history aboard the ship back in 1997.
Hate to see her go down...

Very cool, must be interesting to do. :mixedsmi:

Mike

jhefner
September 10th, 2010, 09:17
Add my voice to those who want to see it saved... (I posted about it a few months ago; so that may be why it sounds familiar.)

The problem is that work needs to be done to it before even trying to drydock it. It needs some hull repairs before attempting to move it; we almost lost the Battleship Texas to hull leaks when i was being towed to the drydock for repairs (pumps were running flat out, and it still barely cleared the lip of the drydock.)

It is also silted up; so the silt will need to be removed before it can be moved. But no question, this is a "shovel ready" project that could put people to work, and save history at the same time. And the price is peanuts compared to what has been spent so far. It would be a mark against the current goverment if it does not survive.

-James

Railrunner130
September 10th, 2010, 10:03
I got married on the Moshulu, right next door to the Olympia. I don't recall seeing much more than a placard of it. I don't recall seeing hours or anything posted. But I had a few other things on my mind that day, so it could've been there and I just didn't notice it.

Philly also has the SS United States that people are trying to save as well. It would be really nice if the two could be lumped together in a restoration effort. I know the city is seriously cash strapped, so they most likely couldn't assist in any way.