PDA

View Full Version : Dodosim 206 repaint request...Santini Air

pilottj
September 7th, 2010, 22:01
Hey folks,
I have entered the world of FSwhirlybirds and am ready to learn. I got a nice little bonus at work so I sprang for the Dodosim. I was watching some old Airwolf episodes and I was wondering if any of the painters are willing to attempt Santini Air's beautiful red white and blue 206.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/strokemondeo/santiniside.jpg

Cheers
TJ

Dain Arns
September 9th, 2010, 03:33
I've never been able to find that correct font for "Santini Air".
I had been working on a 212 version as well as the Dodo.

I always figured Dom had a Huey out back...

kilo delta
September 9th, 2010, 04:37
I've never been able to find that correct font for "Santini Air".

http://forum.airwolf.tv/YaBB.pl?num=1213919734/4 :)

Dain Arns
September 9th, 2010, 06:23
http://forum.airwolf.tv/YaBB.pl?num=1213919734/4 :)

Unfortunately, I don't have $49 - $179 to spend on the proper font for a freeware paint. :isadizzy: :icon_lol:
But thanks for that link, I missed that in a search this spring when I was dabbling with the 212 paint.
Maybe I can find some freeware fonts that are close, and work them to something closer on the layer.

kilo delta
September 9th, 2010, 06:33
Unfortunately, I don't have $49 - $179 to spend on the proper font for a freeware paint. :isadizzy: :icon_lol:
But thanks for that link, I missed that in a search this spring when I was dabbling with the 212 paint.
Maybe I can find some freeware fonts that are close, and work them to something closer on the layer.

:d ...well at least now you know what font it is :icon_lol:

AckAck
September 9th, 2010, 06:53
Shh - try the font out, paste it together in a layer of its own, then multiply that layer to get rid of the white background. (or, use it as a mask).

Or, use this the same way:

(oops - apparently the font suggested wasn't quite right. The "S" doesn't have enough swooshes.)
Have you tried Kirk Sunley's Santini Air (for Hewitt's FS9 Bell) to see about using that lettering as a guide? I don't remember what he did for the lettering.

Dain Arns
September 9th, 2010, 08:10
Shh - try the font out, paste it together in a layer of its own, then multiply that layer to get rid of the white background. (or, use it as a mask).

Or, use this the same way:

If you look closely at your sample, it's not the same as on the side of the 206.
Especially the 'a' in Santini.
About the only one right is the 'r' in Air
Yep. I'm that picky.
I was a quality control supervisor at the previous job. :salute: :icon_lol:

I'll see what I can do.
I actually have a good hi-res side picture somewhere of the Santini Air Bell 206.
As I said, if all else fails I'll edit it by hand using that side shot as a guide.
I just haven't had the time to devote to that project until lately.

N2044C has appeared in a ton of films and TV shows, like 'A Team' and 'Blue Thunder'.
I've always wanted to do a series of all its repaints.
Last I heard, its now a news chopper in Minneapolis right now for KMSP/FOX News.

But right now need to get my father out of the hospital, first, this week.
Secondly, I have some fictional USCG paints (Orange and White) that I was working on prior to my Dad being admitted, last week.
The Nemeth MH-6 is giving me fits.

Then I'll look at doing Santini Air.

pilottj
September 9th, 2010, 08:56
Love the Huey :) I think Santini air was shown flying a few Hueys. Another great Jet Ranger scheme from the show was this black/yellow/orange scheme.

Archangel's 206 would be pretty easy LOL.

Man I really hope Dodosim considers doing the Hughes 500 after their Huey, all the pilots I know who have flown them for real absolutely loved the little bird. Loved their distinct sound too.
Cheers
TJ

AckAck
September 9th, 2010, 20:34
If you look closely at your sample, it's not the same as on the side of the 206.
Especially the 'a' in Santini.
About the only one right is the 'r' in Air
Yep. I'm that picky.
I was a quality control supervisor at the previous job. :salute: :icon_lol:

You are right, I was just using the fonts suggested on the fan site. Thought someone looked at it and figured out the right fonts, but I guess not.

Anyway, here is a vector version traced from a photo. It seems I don't have time to work on things I'm supposed to be doing, so I shouldn't go any further with this. Especially since I don't have the Dodo...

Brian

Dain Arns
September 10th, 2010, 01:38
You are right, I was just using the fonts suggested on the fan site. Thought someone looked at it and figured out the right fonts, but I guess not.

Anyway, here is a vector version traced from a photo. It seems I don't have time to work on things I'm supposed to be doing, so I shouldn't go any further with this. Especially since I don't have the Dodo...

Brian

Woo Hoo!
Wow, you nailed it, Brian!
Thanks a lot!

The Dodo paintkit is a bit of jigsaw puzzle, but the main body and tail boom section are all the same scale, at least.
Unlike the MD500 one...
I had to wrap that main stripe on the fictional USCG MH-6 over 8 different surfaces of slightly different scales. :isadizzy:

Okay, I'm excited about this now.
Since I've been away from the other paints for a week anyway...
I've already switched gears this morning and have started the Santini Air paint for the Dodo. :wavey:

pilottj
September 10th, 2010, 08:06
yay!...thanks alot sir, looking foward to it :jump::salute:

Dain Arns
October 16th, 2010, 02:14
The "Santini Air" paint for the Dodosim 206 is finished.
Andy "Manilow" Walker over at Hovercontrol already had a version in progress before I started, so I bowed out to his superior talents.
He did an excellent job! :applause:

The "Santini Air" repaint is available here at Hovercontrol:
http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=FSX_Helicopter_Repaints&image=Santini_Air_Dodo_FSX_206_Repaint.zip&img=&tt=zip
(Andy requested I post this here at SOH)

Hovercontrol FSX Helicopter Repaint Library Files Section:
http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=FSX_Helicopter_Repaints

pilottj
October 16th, 2010, 10:29
YEAH!!! :ernae::ernae::jump:

pilottj
October 16th, 2010, 11:32
just tried it out, absolutely beautiful. one minor thing it looks like the someone forgot to put the Radar Alt files into a cab file :) :monkies::jump:

Dain Arns
October 16th, 2010, 11:49
just tried it out, absolutely beautiful. one minor thing it looks like the someone forgot to put the Radar Alt files into a cab file :) :monkies::jump:

The panel.1 folders for the Highskid and Lowskid have the DodoRadioAlt.cab files.
Copy and paste into Panel.2

pilottj
October 16th, 2010, 12:57
roger that thanks :)