PDA

View Full Version : RE: After 21 years in office, Mayor Richard Daley will not run for another term......

brad kaste
September 7th, 2010, 16:02
http://www.suntimes.com/news/index.html

Lionheart
September 7th, 2010, 16:34
yayyyy....!

:ernae:

Now to rebuild that neat little airport in downtown Chicago...

Cloud9Gal
September 7th, 2010, 16:37
http://www.thesmileysign.com/temp/dc8d937c20032287a40edbc820f3f3fdc87f7d65.gif (http://www.thesmileysign.com/)

Thank you in advance!

brad kaste
September 7th, 2010, 17:04
....No political comments one way or another please. This is news. STRICTLY news.
Thank you. I have my opinions too,...but this isn't the forum to start a political football to be kicked around.....

OBIO
September 7th, 2010, 19:41
yayyyy....!
Now to rebuild that neat little airport in downtown Chicago...

That was the very same thought I had when I read the original post.

OBIO

Naismith
September 7th, 2010, 22:29
Why even raise the issue then? It is surely a local issue to wherever he oversees. I am positive that those who live there already know about it and those that do not could care less. It is this sort of non-news item that some people get so hot under the collar over. I'm not having a go at the OP, just a general observation.

TARPSBird
September 7th, 2010, 23:40
Mayor Daley's departure is of interest to flight simmers and aviation fans mainly due to his sneak-attack destruction of Meigs Field, Chicago's lakefront civil airport, several years ago. It was a public relations disaster for Daley. Meigs was the default airport in MS Flight Simulator up through FS2004.

Toastmaker
September 8th, 2010, 06:45
I wonder why MS picked Meigs, of all the GA airports in the U.S. ? There are others better situated, better known. I would have thought they'd use some field near Renton, Wa. Anybody know their rationale on this ??

:running:

txnetcop
September 8th, 2010, 07:11
I wonder why MS picked Meigs, of all the GA airports in the U.S. ? There are others better situated, better known. I would have thought they'd use some field near Renton, Wa. Anybody know their rationale on this ??

Yes sir, I do know. In 1979 I was beta tester for the original Flight Simulator and a few subsequent releases. It was created by Bruce Artwick while he was a student. He founded the company SUBLOGIC while a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Illinois_at_Urbana-Champaign) in 1979, which released the first version of Flight Simulator the following year. Meigs Field was a natural navigation point to fly.

As a matter of fact there was only a very limited world you could fly in the very first beta-the great lakes area. I moved to Silicon Valley and continued work with Sublogic and some other game companies as a software consultant.
Ted

beana51
September 8th, 2010, 08:15
Any thing about Chicago mayor Daily in our Sim world is "INCENDEARY!"....like yelling "FIRE "in a theater!...Nothing to do with politics , Absolutely nothing, except those who supported this ,get "touchy" about it now! But rather its an affair of ones heart!....like Someone ,cutting down an old OAK Tree...or Pulling Wings off a Butter fly! we abhor such insensitive a,mindless,and cruel actions!.....we are kinda lucky tho...in our "Walter Mitty "World Of Simming,we can still go there!,any time we want!

Snuffy
September 8th, 2010, 09:25
I dunno ... given what, or rather who, could replace him, ... Rahm Emmanuel ... I guess its up to the lesser of two evils for Chicagoans eh? Good Luck.

(MHO ... neither are worth the skin holding them together ... )

Yep, I remember flying a stick figure aircraft out of Megis in the early version of this stuff. Many times I never made it past the lake. I'll bet if they go look they could probably salvage atleast a thousand virtual aircraft I've dumped in it ... :icon_lol:

TARPSBird
September 8th, 2010, 10:18
When I was a kid, whenever we went to the Museum of Science & Industry my Mom always allowed me a side trip to Meigs for some plane-watching. The little airport was not only a landmark on the downtown lakefront but it provided convenient access for business traffic. Also for emergency services in case of some disaster like a major fire or terrorist attack. Mayor Daley tore up the runway on the thin pretext that Meigs could be used to launch a 9-11 style attack, when actually he wanted to build a park on the site. Now it's a very boring plot of land, its only redeeming feature is its great view of the Chicago skyline.

Lionheart
September 8th, 2010, 10:44
It would really be cool to see the land brought back to being an airport again, perhaps even an aviation museum, better then it was before, and of course, with a nice new, top end restaurant.

Man, that would be great.....

Could you imagine, 5 years from now, in the newest version of MS Flight, a default Meigs again?

:d

Toastmaker
September 11th, 2010, 07:31
Yes sir, I do know. In 1979 I was beta tester for the original Flight Simulator and a few subsequent releases. It was created by Bruce Artwick while he was a student. He founded the company SUBLOGIC while a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Illinois_at_Urbana-Champaign) in 1979, which released the first version of Flight Simulator the following year. Meigs Field was a natural navigation point to fly.

As a matter of fact there was only a very limited world you could fly in the very first beta-the great lakes area. I moved to Silicon Valley and continued work with Sublogic and some other game companies as a software consultant.
Ted

Ok, that explains it. I remember SubLogic. Thanks, Ted.

(sorry for the late response -)

pilottj
September 11th, 2010, 08:46
I wouldnt be able to post a response with out using a few four letter words regarding the person of subject matter. So I will let Monty Python do it instead:icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enSYlCEz5VI